Goff Making Progress or Offensive Line Saving Him?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

How Do You View Goff's Performance?

• He's the reason we're winning

Votes: 26 20.6%
  • He's doing just enough to keep us winning

Votes: 35 27.8%
  • Give him time and he'll be the reason we're winning

Votes: 63 50.0%
  • He will never meet the expectations of a first overall pick

Votes: 2 1.6%

• Total voters

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Because it's not fun at all when the line falls apart or the receivers get injured and you have to start making excuses for your QB.

And of course, it would be harder on us Rams fans, since we've never experienced such a thing before ...

:hiding:

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
That's absolutely false. We're not dumbing down the progressions at all. Every team in the NFL uses a lot of quick passes, and with us being a WCO, that's going to be even more pronounced.
Yeah, considering Goff is actually calling the plays at the line, I would say McVay has given him full reigns.

fearsomefour

Legend
That's absolutely false. We're not dumbing down the progressions at all. Every team in the NFL uses a lot of quick passes, and with us being a WCO, that's going to be even more pronounced.
I love it.
Protects the line and the QB.
They can be very effective and are great when scheming guys open....see New England

Hey Man

Starter
Name
Hey Man
Voted he's the reason we're winning. But as I've said before wins and losses aren't on one person. Teams win and lose games.
Dilly! Dilly!.gif

Ram65

Legend
He's doing just enough to keep us winning

That was the best answer. He is limiting mistakes which I think McVay is looking for right now. He has made some great throws and been effective at the play calling in the hurry up offense. He avoids the rush in and out of the pocket. He throws the ball away when need be. Those are good things. So he is more likely doing a little better than the just enough to keep the Rams winning.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I didn’t say they was dumbing down the progression and they are using a two read scheme that’s why they run so many 3 WRs sets on the same side with a lot of crosses and slants.
That’s not a knock on Goff and it’s definitely not “absolutely false” that’s why they run so many “dummy”routes to free up those two reads for Goff. I’m not saying that Goff only goes to those two reads or the flat it’s been times he has hit his 3 and 4th receiver but the scheme is allowing him to play better and more freely

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
Goff has played in 14 games as a NFL professional quarterback. That means he won't have actually completed his first full 16 game slate until after the game vs the Texans.

I don't make grantees but I'm expecting him to take his game to another level before December 2017 gets here.

HeartfeltAccurateCamel-max-1mb.gif

__
630777398-e1484540326714.jpg

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah, considering Goff is actually calling the plays at the line, I would say McVay has given him full reigns.
Having the ability to make line calls and audibles are a lot different then them running McVays scheme. If he’s scheming for Goff to have two options on a give play that’s the scheme has nothing to do with him making line calls

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
I didn’t say they was dumbing down the progression and they are using a two read scheme that’s why they run so many 3 WRs sets on the same side with a lot of crosses and slants.
That’s not a knock on Goff and it’s definitely not “absolutely false” that’s why they run so many “dummy”routes to free up those two reads for Goff. I’m not saying that Goff only goes to those two reads or the flat it’s been times he has hit his 3 and 4th receiver but the scheme is allowing him to play better and more freely

Bunch sets were a recognized staple of his offense when he was in Washington. Are you saying that Cousins has some kind of deficiency that required these 2 read plays?

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
My vote is yes (to the question posed by the title), and underlying both of those circumstances is a team buying into a much more successful game plan coached by a staff that emphasizes correct execution :)

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Bunch sets were a recognized staple of his offense when he was in Washington. Are you saying that Cousins has some kind of deficiency that required these 2 read plays?
Yes I am. That’s not a knock on any qb and we have seen how Cousins has grown sometimes it’s necessary to simplify things for a qb to get their confidence up and then start putting more on their plate

Classic Rams

Hall of Fame
Goff's doing fine. The fact that the Rams are winning despite him not flinging TD passes at a high rate is impressive for the team.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

It is absolutely false. I've seen Goff go through 3 to 5 progressions on a single play more than a few times this year with my own two eyes. Hell, I'll quote Sean McVay on this:
"He got all the way through the progression and found Todd on the backside," McVay said of Goff. "It was basically his fifth read. That's impressive."

Here's the play he's talking about:
View: http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000849065/Gurley-keeps-his-feet-moving-breaks-tackle-for-27-yards

We're not running a two-read offense. Hell, that doesn't even make sense. Gurley wouldn't be having the year he's having if we were running a two-read offense because he wouldn't be one of the two reads. McVay loves to attack all three levels of the field. If he were running a two-read offense, Goff would be reading deep to intermediate. Instead, Gurley catches a lot of passes when Goff checks down after looking down the field.

This isn't a two-read scheme. Goff is reading the entirety of the field and going through the same types of progressions as the Pro Bowl and All Pro QBs.

And they run the two and three WR bunch sets because it makes it difficult for the defense to press the WRs, causes confusion, creates early separation, and allows for us to utilize pick routes. Crosses and slants are known for being man-beaters. That's why we run them so often.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Goff doesn't need to be the reason we win. We have 53 players. We don't need a QB trying to be a hero. Goff is running our offense at the LOS, our #1 ranked scoring offense. I don't care what anyone wants to label him. That's freaking amazing from a kid who just turned 23 years old. The teams that win Super Bowls don't rely on one guy to carry them.
Yes....For Goff to make us successful, he doesn't have to throw for 400 yards and 5 TD's, as much as I would be ok with that...He is a facilitator. We haven't had anyone in years that is doing it as well as he is doing it...Bradford might have been able to do it, but never had the weapons that Goff has now. The QB position isn't one where I hold my breath anymore, waiting for something bad to happen. When I see Goff drop back for a pass, I have a confidence that he will make really good throws, and the guys receiving it have good enough hands to catch it...I haven't felt that since Bulger/Warner. He needs to get the ball to Gurley, make good decisions at the line, and facilitate the ball to other playmakers, and as a team, the Rams will be successful.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
Goff doesn't need to be the reason we win. We have 53 players. We don't need a QB trying to be a hero. Goff is running our offense at the LOS, our #1 ranked scoring offense. I don't care what anyone wants to label him. That's freaking amazing from a kid who just turned 23 years old. The teams that win Super Bowls don't rely on one guy to carry them.

As Mcvay said "We are looking for our Quarterback to be an extension of the coaching staff" I think you see that well when he is lining guys up. He has an understanding of what he is doing, what he's looking for, and how to answer what the defense is showing him.

And he's doing that at 23! (as you said)

Lots of room for improvement.

"Our pursuit of excellence is going to be daily and it is going to apply to everything that we do!"

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy

Mcvay builds and schemes his offense to give answers to the quarterback as to how he needs to attack.

I don't just think he's running this 'dummy' reads as to help Goff. He's running them because it gives an answer to the QB as to where he needs to attack the defense.

This all being said Goff can certainly improve. But I don't think the offense is being limited for Goff in any way.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
From ESPN:
"The paperwork drama obscures that the Browns' search for a quarterback led them to give up two draft picks for McCarron. In the discussions of quarterback play and potential, McCarron is considered a nice player but not someone with the potential of a Wentz, Jared Goff or Garoppolo."
Bolded and underline and font added

STLRam

UDFA
I’m no pro NFL scout or anything close, but when I watched highlight videos of him at Cal, a large portion of his passes came 3+ seconds after the snap with the pocket collapsing or already collapsed, and him still throwing a dime. Could be wrong, but that’s why I was more impressed with Goff than Bradford. Bradford, atleast with the Rams, was the definition of folding under pressure. Goff might be struggling with it, but nothing compared to Bradford as far as I can tell.