Goff Making Progress or Offensive Line Saving Him?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

How Do You View Goff's Performance?

• He's the reason we're winning

Votes: 26 20.6%
  • He's doing just enough to keep us winning

Votes: 35 27.8%
  • Give him time and he'll be the reason we're winning

Votes: 63 50.0%
  • He will never meet the expectations of a first overall pick

Votes: 2 1.6%

• Total voters

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What's so wrong with what you said? For me, the problem is that it's not factually accurate. It's like saying, "Yea, I said the Earth is flat. What's wrong with that?"

We're not running a two-progression offense. That's not true. It's not accurate. Thus, I am setting the record straight.

I can't agree that McVay has been conservative. We're attacking down the field and taking chances. Goff is just doing a nice job of throwing the ball away instead of forcing a bunch of passes.(and he's gotten lucky with a few passes he's forced not being picked)

But we are, McVay is on record saying that he calls his play where Goff has 2 primary options based on what the defense gives him. Now it’s up to Goff to find that 3rd and 4th option when those don’t open up. So yeah technically I might not be a 2 read system but that still don’t change the fact that Goff has his 2 primary reads already mapped out by McVay.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
But we are, McVay is on record saying that he calls his play where Goff has 2 primary options based on what the defense gives him. Now it’s up to Goff to find that 3rd and 4th option when those don’t open up. So yeah technically I might not be a 2 read system but that still don’t change the fact that Goff has his 2 primary reads already mapped out by McVay.

That's how every good system works. That's not a two-read or progression system. Goff is still reading the entire field and going through all his progressions.

His reads also aren't mapped out by McVay. They're based on what Goff is reading pre-snap for the most part (with the exception of certain plays designed to get the ball to a specific player).

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's how every good system works. That's not a two-read or progression system. Goff is still reading the entire field and going through all his progressions.

His reads also aren't mapped out by McVay. They're based on what Goff is reading pre-snap for the most part (with the exception of certain plays designed to get the ball to a specific player).
I’m just going off McVays statements what he has said. Goff does go through his progression sometimes he has gotten a lot better at it but it also helps that he has a starting point on where to go with the ball and if it isn’t there he goes somewhere else with it. It’s not on him to read defenses the extent to which he’s reading defenses now is based off their looks whether they are loading the box or not. If it’s 3rd and 3 and they not loading the box but McVay called a pass Goff will audible it to the run that was also called in the huddle. He is a young qb and like a lot of y’all like to say he is “essentially a rookie”. The offense isn’t extremely conservative but I guarantee the offense is going to look a lot different in year 2

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
So just axing. Is there such a thing as a three or four read play?

And Goff was calling plays and audibles before Sully went down.

There is also this thing called taking what the defense gives you. With as well as the offense is doing in the first year of a system, I don’t get the angst over how the coaches may or may not be protecting our QB.

It seems like nit picking when there are very few nits to pick.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So just axing. Is there such a thing as a three or four read play?

And Goff was calling plays and audibles before Sully went down.

There is also this thing called taking what the defense gives you. With as well as the offense is doing in the first year of a system, I don’t get the angst over how the coaches may or may not be protecting our QB.

Almost every passing play is at least a three or four-read play if we're considering reads to be progressions. If we're considering reads to be reading coverage, there are a whole lot more than that on every singe passing play.

When we call a play, every single eligible receiver is a progression for Goff. Odds are that he won't have time to get to all of them, so plays are designed to give the QB primary reads and secondary reads. The QB determines this based on the defense.

This isn't a situation like you saw with RGIII or Kaepernick where the coach dumbed down the offense and eliminated half the field to compensate for his QB's shortcomings. Goff runs the offense like any other talented QB in terms of reads and progressions.

Scirca

Rookie

Listen, Goff is running a system that's made for him. Not a system in place where Goff has to be forced into. Sean McVay is not running a 2 progression system. And when he does call plays that only require 2 reads, it is usually roll-outs or boot-legs. Yes, there are times when Goff doesn't go through all his reads but that's because he is inexperienced. The more he understands defenses, the better off we all will be. BTW, Goff reads the defense pre-snap, and post-snap. The progressions are based on his reads whether it is pre or post snap. Goff is excellent pre-snap, post-snap is where the struggle comes from because defenses are smart and like to bait certain coverages.

Last edited:

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck

Goff is developing beautifully.

With all the losing we've been through with very few exciting games to hang our hat on I am surprised anybody would pick a nit, much less refer to it as an elephant.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Listen, Goff is running a system that's made for him. Not a system in place where Goff has to be forced into. Sean McVay is not running a 2 progression system. And when he does call plays that only require 2 reads, it is usually roll-outs or boot-legs. Yes, there are times when Goff doesn't go through all his reads but that's because he is inexperienced. The more he understands defenses, the better off we all will be. BTW, Goff reads the defense pre-snap, and post-snap. The progressions are based on his reads whether it is pre or post snap. Goff is excellent pre-snap, post-snap is where the struggle comes from because defenses are smart and like to bait certain coverages.

You just said everything I been saying the offense is tailored to Goff and his strengths. Right now that’s keeping the offense basic and simple in its playcalling and execution.

Goff reads the defense based off number of guys in the box that’s why he gets fooled with roving safeties nothings wrong with that cause he’s still learning and that’s basically my point Goff is still learning so the offense is basically a water down version of McVays system. To say that McVays playcalling doesn’t protect Goff doesn’t ask Goff to do to much is being disingenuous.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
This is what you said:

We're not running a two-read offense. Maybe you meant something different, but what you said wasn't accurate.

McVay's job is to protect Goff. Every play-caller tries to protect his QB.

Well, except for Martz. He was "special".