Giants DC Steve Spagnuolo: I’m not a magician

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

tempests

Hall of Fame
He was a helluva magician here - he made lots and lots of wins disappear and sucked the air out of a franchise!

I didn't like him either, but let's not act as if he inherited a Super Bowl contender.

Zygmunt and Linehan left this organization in a hell of a mess.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

i will forever remember him as the hc who punted the ball away when the rams were 2 scores down with a couple of minutes left on the clock.

balls of mashed potato.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
He was a helluva magician here - he made lots and lots of wins disappear and sucked the air out of a franchise!

He had the last winning season didn't he? IIRC the Rams were down to the final game with the Seahawks to get to the playoffs.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I didn't like him either, but let's not act as if he inherited a Super Bowl contender.

Zygmunt and Linehan left this organization in a hell of a mess.
Looking back at head coaches is like looking back at drafts... 20/20 hindsight is always in play.

I seem to recall most Rams fans and the media thinking he was a great hire at the time. I seem to recall Peter King being one of his staunchest proponents. The HC I recdall most didn't want was Garrett... looks like he's managed to turn the corner while we remain below .500.

Obviously, things didn't tun out for Spagnuolo but - like you say - he inherited a homongous mess from Linehan (reference that 2006 draft and the FA acquisitions Linehan orchestrated).

The Saints? Another pile of steaming shyte after Bountygate.

He's managed to crawl himself back to DC... we'll see how he does. Yeah, his "speeaches" aren't going to get him into the Zig Zigler hall of fame.
:)

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Hard to be a magician when you dont have Michael Strahan, Justin Tuck and Osi Umenyora waiting for his return.
Basically he's saying it wasnt his scheme, it was the players.
I loved the hire at the time but man he lost me when he punted the game away to the very same Giants

Rynie

Cowboys rudeboy.
Name
Rynie
It's not going to matter how good their defense is when Eli, the interception machine, takes the field. How he has 2 rings still baffles me. The guy sucks.
1470102_10201922985170194_1485805367_n.jpg

MrMotes

Starter
He had the last winning season didn't he? IIRC the Rams were down to the final game with the Seahawks to get to the playoffs.

He did have that one magical 7 win season, combined with his 1 win and 2 win seasons, that's 10 wins in 3 years.

He then went on to coordinate the worst defense in the history of the NFL by yards, a very unimpressive 4 year run for our Steve Spagnulo...

Rynie

Cowboys rudeboy.
Name
Rynie
Like someone mentioned earlier, having that giants d-line can make even Rob Ryan look like a good defensive coordinator.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

he would have had a winning season and playoff birth in 2010 but his ultra conservative approach lost the team at least 2 games. with good leads against the whiners and bucs he played the whole second halves like there was 2 minutes left on the clock and they were closing out the games. he invited them back into the contest and they both won in the final minutes.

after the most clueless coach in history, linehan, the rams had the most scared coach in history in spags.

then the next season he punted the ball away and the season turned to absolute shit from that moment.

Lesson

Oh, really?
While I get the criticism for Spags, I honestly think he would have been the HC in 2012 if he had lost with young players vs old ones in 2011.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Honestly I don't get all the animosity for Spags, he was a pretty bad coach yeah, but definitely not the worst we've had. Hell he's not even the worst of that decade.

Why he gets so much play around here is beyond me really.

Hacksaw

ROCK HARD STUD
Seeing those pictures gave me the shivers CGI. So glad those days are over.
Dude's not a magician, musician or a good HC. On a positive note,,,, err,, what does he do well again?