Giants DC Steve Spagnuolo: I’m not a magician

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...no-switch-to-flip-to-bring-2007-defense-back/

Steve Spagnuolo: There’s no switch to flip to bring 2007 defense back
Posted by Josh Alper on May 11, 2015

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznptfmntzlngexzgziodviyzkxntnjndjlodbhzmy3owy5-e1431339673948.jpeg
Getty Images

The Giants brought defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo back to the team this offseason after watching the unit slip under Perry Fewell while going 13-19 over the last two years.

Spagnuolo’s earned a Super Bowl ring during his previous stint with the Giants when he put together a defense that stifled a previously undefeated Patriots team in Arizona after the 2007 season. The team went 12-4 behind a similarly productive unit the next year before Spagnuolo left to become the Rams head coach, although the coordinator said over the weekend that his return doesn’t ensure the same kind of results.

“This isn’t an on-and-off switch where, boom, all of a sudden we’re back to 2007 and we pick up where we left off,” Spagnuolo said, via ESPN.com. “It doesn’t work that way. It’s a different challenge. It’s a different year. It’s different personnel. I’m not a magician. Things aren’t going to happen like they may have happened in a different time. But hopefully, something exciting will happen. At least that’s the goal.”

Spagnuolo’s time in St. Louis and one miserable season as the Saints’ coordinator in 2012 are good reminders that he’s not capable of conjuring effective defenses out of thin air. To put one together in Jersey this year, Spagnuolo’s going to need to find a couple of starting defensive linemen, a couple of starting linebackers, a safety to play alongside rookie Landon Collins and a couple of cornerbacks to play in sub packages.

Spagnuolo says it is “going to take a little while” to get the defense in shape, but progress can’t wait too long if the Giants are going to end their playoff drought.

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Or a head coach

Or easy to work with

Or likable

Or accountable for his actions

Or deserving of a chance in this league after his STL debacle

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Wow, Spags is really getting the giant faithful fired up with that! Awesome.

LOLOLOLOLOL

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Surprised he didn't just respond with, "2007 defense? I'll have to look at that again."

sjm1582002

Wanted everywhere but welcome nowhere
The Pats in the last game of 2007 regular season easily rang up 38pts and beat the mighty Giants. Plenty of other teams put up lots of pts on the Giant's D that year.

I thought it was a big mistake to hire the guy because of one game.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
The Pats in the last game of 2007 regular season easily rang up 38pts and beat the mighty Giants. Plenty of other teams put up lots of pts on the Giant's D that year.

I thought it was a big mistake to hire the guy because of one game.

I wanted Spagnoulo because I thought he was the best of the coaches being considered. That regime had no idea who was an up and coming head coach back then and Skip and Lucia didn't know anything about that stuff either.

The thing about that job was that no GM really wanted it and no Headcoach wanted to be paired with a rookie GM with no cred.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
It was a good hire at the time, no one could have known he would turn into a control freak and go crazy as a head coach.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
No, you're not a magician. You're a damn amoeba.

Speeps

Starter
Why does he keep getting jobs? He orchestrated the worst defense in history for the Saints.

LetsGoRams

Pro Bowler
Name
Thrasher
He was a helluva magician here - he made lots and lots of wins disappear and sucked the air out of a franchise!