Free Agent FITS for the Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I don't see any of those guys as anything but depth. Throwin good money after bad IMO there Boni.

Star is probably the best player of the bunch, but even before his injury the dude played like garbage. He's all name IMO. Buyer beware.

Have to disagree on Lotulelei. He's a solid nose tackle, and playing in Wade's system, in my honest opinion, could unlock potential yet unrealized.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Have to disagree on Lotulelei. He's a solid nose tackle, and playing in Wade's system, in my honest opinion, could unlock potential yet unrealized.

Queue up some of his games. Start with Philly.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I don't see any of those guys as anything but depth. Throwin good money after bad IMO there Boni.

Star is probably the best player of the bunch, but even before his injury the dude played like garbage. He's all name IMO. Buyer beware.

Agree for the most part, disagree on Davis where I like him in a strong rotational role. jmo.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I’d rather draft this years Lotuelli in the 4th or 5th round.

Memento

Name
Jemma
Queue up some of his games. Start with Philly.

Queued up the Philly game. I admit that it was awful. I still stand by that Star is the best nose tackle that we have an opportunity to get.

We aren't getting Vea or Payne.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
We have to be careful with expensive FA's. We did a great job this last offseason with the additions of some but we have to stick to that same mindset. Sprinkle in solid FA's that fit our scheme and let the young guys develop.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd like to see Burton from the Eagles come aboard. Future star. Excellent possession TEWR that would put Goff over the top.

this guy is a must sign for the rams. i'm sure mcvay has eyes and can see that this guy will become a superstar for the rams.

make it happen snead.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We have to be careful with expensive FA's. We did a great job this last offseason with the additions of some but we have to stick to that same mindset. Sprinkle in solid FA's that fit our scheme and let the young guys develop.

I don't know man, not a capologist admittedly but we have $45M available cap space, and that's not counting some of the dead weight that will get us some extra here and there. Quinn is $12M ($1M dead), with a restructure or cut they stand to gain a little to a lot. Tavon is $8M ($5M dead), he'll gain us a bit. Barron is $10M ($3M dead), he's likely gone as well tbh, through trade or cut. Conservatively that might give us what, roughly, $10M?

So let's say $55M available. Subtract $20M for Donald (think it'll be more like $18 but going conservative here). We should have roughly $35M. So from there Joyner's the pricey guy, but also try to get NRC and Sully locked up, shouldn't be too bad for those dudes.

I think they can bring in one guy who can upgrade a position, i.e. a guy who brings some cost, and still get a solid add here and there as needed if they really want to.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We aren't getting Vea or Payne.

Yeah I'm not even going to hope for Vea. Payne may be gone too, who knows. Still a ways to go there with all the slotting from combine, information coming out on guys off the field and attitude, etc.

I'd go NT in the draft. But if I felt the need to fill it now there's only two guys I'd consider in FA: Ellis and Poe, in that order. I really like Ellis, but he's probably gonna get paid. Poe probably will get more than the Rams want to pay too, and of course both might get locked up by their teams.

I hate even lookin at FAs right now, just can't help myself lol.

Name
Rod
With Aaron Donald signed I would think that the Rams would be heaven for an edge rusher. With AD coming up the middle and scattering plays an edge rusher should feast on the outside. Very disappointed in Rob Quinn he is a shadow of what he used to be. Agents should be lining up trying to get their edge rushers to sign with the Rams.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I don't know man, not a capologist admittedly but we have $45M available cap space, and that's not counting some of the dead weight that will get us some extra here and there. Quinn is $12M ($1M dead), with a restructure or cut they stand to gain a little to a lot. Tavon is $8M ($5M dead), he'll gain us a bit. Barron is $10M ($3M dead), he's likely gone as well tbh, through trade or cut. Conservatively that might give us what, roughly, $10M?

So let's say $55M available. Subtract $20M for Donald (think it'll be more like $18 but going conservative here). We should have roughly $35M. So from there Joyner's the pricey guy, but also try to get NRC and Sully locked up, shouldn't be too bad for those dudes.

I think they can bring in one guy who can upgrade a position, i.e. a guy who brings some cost, and still get a solid add here and there as needed if they really want to.

$48.6 mil according to Spotrac.

I'd opt to restructure/extend Quinn on an incentive laden and favorable new Rams contract which gives him some signing bonus money, but makes it easier to cut him at less cost if he doesn't work out in the next two years. We could probably cut his 2018 CAP cost in half, saving a good $6.mil. with this. Also extend Saffold and save another $4.mil. off 2018 costs while keeping his talent available to us for a few extra years. Cut Barron & Austin and you've got another $10.mil to play with.
$48.6
+ $20.mil for the cuts and extensions =
$68.6mil.

When it comes to Donald, he's already been accounted for a 2018 CAP hit of $6.892mil because of his 5'th year option status, which would be deducted from whatever his first year CAP hit is following a newly negotiated contract. Even if he signs a 6 year, $20.mil contract with a hefty signing bonus & guarantee, his first year CAP hit may be closer to the $13-15mil. range as the Rams, even with front loaded contracts, reduce the 1'st year amount and take the bigger charges in years 2, 3 & 4. Remember that Miami's Suh signed a 6 year, $114mil. contract, and his 1'st year CAP hit was only $6.1mil. Donald's will be higher because he'll be receiving a much bigger signing bonus.

So following Donald's re-signing, expect something closer to $60.mil. in available CAP. Re-signing Watkins, Joyner, Robey-Coleman, Sullivan, McQuaide, Easley, and a fewer lesser priced UFA's & tendering the RFA's will probably be in the $30.mil area. Add about $6.mil to sign our draft class and you may still have close to $24mil for a couple quality free agents and a small emergency fund which may or may not be carried over into 2019 depending on potential future injuries.

$68.6mil. after cuts & extensions
- $8.mil extra cost for Donald after deducting his already accounted for 5'th year option money, leaving closer to :
$60.mil
- $30.mil to re-sign favored Rams players prior to entering free agency =
$30.mil
- $6.mil. to sign 2018 draft class =
$24mil left over for outside free agents or getting a jump on re-signing potential Rams free agents for 2019.

jmo.

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
When it comes to Donald, he's already been accounted for a 2018 CAP hit of $6.892mil because of his 5'th year option status, which would be deducted from whatever his first year CAP hit is following a newly negotiated contract.

Thanks for layin that out River. Makes me relieved that I put up that disclaimer bout not being a capologist; holy F was I way off. :p

MadGoat

Mathematically alive
4. RB Jerick McKinnon. We are likely to have a need for a backup who can contribute in the passing game, and depending on how much action this guy gets he's a good fit there. He's young, with upside, and caught 51 passes for the Vikes.

Why he might not be a target: cost. His youth and/or play through the playoffs might lead to a team pricing him out of our backup range.

McKinnon would be a great fit for the Rams. I hate to even bring it up, but whether it's FA or the draft, the Rams need to have stronger depth behind Gurley. McKinnon can be a real weapon as both a runner and a receiver. Paired with Brown, the Rams could even get by if Gurley missed any time.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
McKinnon would be a great fit for the Rams. I hate to even bring it up, but whether it's FA or the draft, the Rams need to have stronger depth behind Gurley. McKinnon can be a real weapon as both a runner and a receiver. Paired with Brown, the Rams could even get by if Gurley missed any time.

We do not need to waste money on a backup HB. We can find one in the Draft if we want one.

Ram65

Legend
$48.6 mil according to Spotrac.

I'd opt to restructure/extend Quinn on an incentive laden and favorable new Rams contract which gives him some signing bonus money, but makes it easier to cut him at less cost if he doesn't work out in the next two years. We could probably cut his 2018 CAP cost in half, saving a good $6.mil. with this. Also extend Saffold and save another $4.mil. off 2018 costs while keeping his talent available to us for a few extra years. Cut Barron & Austin and you've got another $10.mil to play with.
$48.6
+ $20.mil for the cuts and extensions =
$68.6mil.

When it comes to Donald, he's already been accounted for a 2018 CAP hit of $6.892mil because of his 5'th year option status, which would be deducted from whatever his first year CAP hit is following a newly negotiated contract. Even if he signs a 6 year, $20.mil contract with a hefty signing bonus & guarantee, his first year CAP hit may be closer to the $13-15mil. range as the Rams, even with front loaded contracts, reduce the 1'st year amount and take the bigger charges in years 2, 3 & 4. Remember that Miami's Suh signed a 6 year, $114mil. contract, and his 1'st year CAP hit was only $6.1mil. Donald's will be higher because he'll be receiving a much bigger signing bonus.

So following Donald's re-signing, expect something closer to $60.mil. in available CAP. Re-signing Watkins, Joyner, Robey-Coleman, Sullivan, McQuaide, Easley, and a fewer lesser priced UFA's & tendering the RFA's will probably be in the $30.mil area. Add about $6.mil to sign our draft class and you may still have close to $24mil for a couple quality free agents and a small emergency fund which may or may not be carried over into 2019 depending on potential future injuries.

$68.6mil. after cuts & extensions
- $8.mil extra cost for Donald after deducting his already accounted for 5'th year option money, leaving closer to :
$60.mil
- $30.mil to re-sign favored Rams players prior to entering free agency =
$30.mil
- $6.mil. to sign 2018 draft class =
$24mil left over for outside free agents or getting a jump on re-signing potential Rams free agents for 2019.

jmo.

This makes sense. Nice outline for the cap. I'm not sure if they resign everyone you have listed but, it could be done.

MadGoat

Mathematically alive
We do not need to waste money on a backup HB. We can find one in the Draft if we want one.
McKinnon would be more than just a backup. He'd be useful enough to actually give Gurley a break and not have the offense grind to a stop.

The Rams could certainly get a RB in the draft, but unless you are thinking they use their 1st or 3rd round pick on one, what you're really talking about is hoping the Rams can find a decent one one late. McKinnon would be a much more proven commodity than a day three selection.

Memento

Name
Jemma
McKinnon would be more than just a backup. He'd be useful enough to actually give Gurley a break and not have the offense grind to a stop.

The Rams could certainly get a RB in the draft, but unless you are thinking they use their 1st or 3rd round pick on one, what you're really talking about is hoping the Rams can find a decent one one late. McKinnon would be a much more proven commodity than a day three selection.

This running back class is as deep as I've seen in a while. You can definitely find a Myles Gaskin or a Martez Carter in the later rounds.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
This makes sense. Nice outline for the cap. I'm not sure if they resign everyone you have listed but, it could be done.

I was also trying to lean to the conservative side on this. Spotrac's estimated 2018 rise in the overall team CAP was about $1.mil or more under past CAP raises. I believe I was also allowing for some room in the re-signing of present players who qualify for long term contracts (Watkins, Joyner), entering the free agency period as like with Donald, those new contracts are usually a little cheaper in year one than in years 2. 3 & 4. One other area is in signing the draft class, with a late round 1'st pick and no 2'nd round pick, this could be closer to $5.mil than the earlier stated $6.mil. We should be in good shape. jmo.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Perfect offseason would be a short, prove-it deal to get Graham's ancient, pass-catchin @$$ in here, and the big ticket signing being Demario Davis, which settles the interior LB spot and moves Tree to weak where he's better suited. Along with re-signings of NRC, Joyner, Watkins (sounds like McVay wants him back), Sully at a minimum.

Then draft the F out of defense, adding a NT, CB, and edge OLB (in whatever combination) to the mix with our higher picks.

MadGoat

Mathematically alive
This running back class is as deep as I've seen in a while. You can definitely find a Myles Gaskin or a Martez Carter in the later rounds.
There will certainly be some great RB finds late in this draft. Last year was nearly as deep and there were some great late round finds. Unfortunately, there were also plenty of late round misses at the position as well. just as there will be this year.