Free Agent FITS for the Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Started lookin around a bit at the projected FAs, and yeah it's way too early, but IMO the Rams are now a "premiere" destination for the upper crust due to a winning roster and environment, top coaching staff on both sides of the ball, location, and the insane stadium on the way.

Here we go, and once again only guys who fit our needs.

OFFENSE

1. TE Jimmy Graham. I see the guy as the top fit for the Rams and here's why... He's an old dog, who needs to get himself back under an OC who knows how to feature the TE position, and that's not as easy as it sounds. Fortunately for him the Rams have a TE savant in McVay, a young offense that he would fit in, and a QB who is accurate and desperately needs a security blanket he can trust.

Why he might not be a target: Everett. Only the staff knows what they really think of Gerald. But IMO of all the different FA possibilities adding a 6'7" pass catching target would make Jared Goff cry tears of joy. Higbee, IMO, is not going to factor in too much with this decision, as given that we know what his hands are now through two seasons.

2. WR (X) Davante Adams. If the Rams elect to not retain Watkins, there are only a couple guys out there who can step in at X and get 'er done from game one on. Now I'm not sure they would want to put more money into a wideout, what with all the FA decisions pending on the roster, but Adams is a very nice fit with a WCO background and brings the stuff we need outside the hashes.

2A. WR (X) Allen Robinson. The fact he's played with Bortles and put up good stats is a good sign. He's a big receiver who beats the jam outside and who might have more upside in this kind of offense than most realize.

Why WR might not be a target: Money/CAP, and/or Watkins. IMO the question of where they're allocating their dollars may well factor in. It's also possible the retain Watkins at a rate both sides can deal with, which will end consideration of adding either of the above.

3. TE Tyler Eifert. His back injury is very concerning, but when this guy is healthy he's the type of weapon McVay could make good use of. He's no Graham, but he represents an immediate upgrade over Higbee and his inconsistent hands.

Why he might not be a target: Everett. As noted above.

4. RB Jerick McKinnon. We are likely to have a need for a backup who can contribute in the passing game, and depending on how much action this guy gets he's a good fit there. He's young, with upside, and caught 51 passes for the Vikes.

Why he might not be a target: cost. His youth and/or play through the playoffs might lead to a team pricing him out of our backup range.

DEFENSE

1. DT Justin Ellis. This dude has the body style (stubby/heavy) and strength at the point to give us a boost at NT. Like with all the guys on this list he could well be locked up by his team, but he's definitely on the Rams' list. Very strong run stopper who would help our DL out.

Why he might not be a target: cost. Rams gotta pay Donald, already have money sunk into 5T with Brock as well, and might have plans to address NT in the draft where it's cheap and guys can be had into midrounds.

2. ILB Demario Davis. He will be very highly sought after in FA if he hits it. Jets love him, leader in the locker room and all that. Instant upgrade for the Rams at interior LB if they were to be able to lock him up. Dude got robbed in Pro Bowl voting IMO.

Why he might not be a target: cost. Rams have money locked up in Tree, and lots of decisions all around. This guy is legit, but can they fit him in?

3. ILB Avery Williamson. This is a solid ILB who is a fit for the scheme, and who will probably hit the FA market. Plus I like that he took a fine to wear the 9/11 cleats back in 2016, my kinda dude.

Why he might not be a target: cost, as noted above under Davis.

4. ILB Navorro Bowman. Had a good season with the Raiders in the middle. Would upgrade us but he is a big name who might be wanting to cash in with what might be his last FA look.

Why he might not be available: cost, as noted above under Davis.

5. ILB Korey Toomer. This would be a budget interior type backer who is basically a depth guy with some starts but who has had some strong games.

Why he might not be a target: comes down to what the Rams feel about some of their kid LBs.

6. OLB Alex Okafor. He was injured after a great start with the Saints. Real good edge type but I suspect New Orleans will lock him up. Putting him here just because he's a fit, albeit a low chance of happening type due to availability not to mention the possibility the Rams have Quinn take a pay cut with an extension.

Why he might not be a target: availability/Quinn extension possible.

Some quick notes...

1. I am not a fan of this free agent CB class. There are some fits of course out there, and some young CBs who might hit the FA period like Fuller, but I think they're inferior to the Rams re-signing NRC and Joyner which will preclude spending on them. Also a noteworthy name is Butler, who really isn't all that tbh, and who IMO is in for a reality check on the market. IF the Rams feel the need to dip into this group, which I hope to F they don't, it will be if they lose NRC.

2. QBs might well dominate the headlines this year. There's a chance that more than one legitimate starter ends up on this market, depending on how teams do things. Unlikely, but possible. Either way it's gonna at the least be the Kirk Cousins world tour.

Last edited:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't see us adding a TE. Everett has shown a lot of flashes. I see him being a big part of the offense next year. Davante Adams re-signed with the Packers. I'd add WR Paul Richardson in his place. Robinson would be a nice addition. A few others on offense:
C Weston Richburg
C Ryan Jensen
C Spencer Long
HB Rex Burkhead

On defense, a few of the guys I like are:
ILB Todd Davis
OLB Aaron Lynch
ILB Nigel Bradham
ILB Preston Brown
NT Bennie Logan
NT Star Lotulelei
CB Malcolm Butler
CB Bashaud Breeland

Obviously, if we want to retain our guys, money will be tightish, so we likely won't be able to grab a top FA.

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
@jrry32

I really liked Bradham and Lynch in the draft. Too bad we couldn't grab them initially.

Davis would be a good fit if Barron doesn't renegotiate his salary down.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
I dont want flashes from our TE. I want a constant threat like Graham or Eifert. If Everett is so good then why have they barely used the kid. Our TE usage is minimal in the passing game. Lets get someone that defenses will have to account for because that TE was not on the team this year, obviously.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I really haven't looked at the FA Field yet, and I want to see what's available in the Draft!

I'm looking forward to the ROD Mock Draft this year "IF" we can talk a certain someone into running it "One-More-Time"!!(y);):D

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
Unless the next gronk is in the draft the rams need to go FA to immediately upgrade the TE position. I think the TE position is where we can make the most immediate and dramatic improvement based on the production we saw this season.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
Look how high we drafted higbee and Everett. They were an afterthought for defenses this year compared to someone like Eifert or Graham.

Ram65

Legend
This is going to be very complex for Snead. Got to resign Rams free agents and Donald first. Then their is the Quinn questions? Barron's health creates another question to the puzzle. If they don't resign TruJo do they go draft, free agent or both. Rams need a pass rusher form the OLBer spot maybe two. At this point it seems somewhat futile to figure out what the Rams will need come free agent time.

I guess we could dream about a Jimmy Graham. What a target for Goff in the red zone and any time. He will not be cheap. Eifert can't stay on the field.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
Look how high we drafted higbee and Everett. They were an afterthought for defenses this year compared to someone like Eifert or Graham.

Graham was an afterthought. He dropped every “must catch” ball in sight. I live in Seahawks country and I know more fans that want him gone than I do that want him retained.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Graham was an afterthought. He dropped every “must catch” ball in sight. I live in Seahawks country and I know more fans that want him gone than I do that want him retained.

He's been miserable in Seattle, the dude is a complete non-fit. His relative lack of production means he's not going to be looked at as an elite guy; he'll get interest but won't need to break the bank due to that production plus his age.

But IMO the guy didn't just lose his hands. Get him in this offense and you'd see something.

nighttrain

Legend
I really really want Watkins back, there is no advantage to letting him walk, guy will just end up with the Whiners and haunt us..After a full preseason with the Rams I believe he will be highly productive., getting another WRer in FA just makes the transition longer, i see no benefit for the Rams, just the waste of this past season.

Only Caveat, if McVay and staff are really sure it's a no go
train

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I actually think Everett is in for a big year. But yeah the Rams should hedge their bets just in case, and it will give them depth too.

TE is definitely the biggest single area the offense can improve this offseason, outside of depth concerns.

TexasRam

Legend
Graham would be unstoppable if we signed him. So many throws Goff could make that Wilson never could, would have Graham back to like he was with the Saints. Problem is money. I don't see him being in our budget.

I'd like to see Burton from the Eagles come aboard. Future star. Excellent possession TEWR that would put Goff over the top.

I am willing to give our young TE's some time, but man are they frustrating with the constant drops. One week it's Everett stinking up the joint vs the Niners, the next week Higbee drops a critical TD.

We must sign a center unless we resign Sullivan!!

fearsomefour

Legend
I don't see us adding a TE. Everett has shown a lot of flashes. I see him being a big part of the offense next year. Davante Adams re-signed with the Packers. I'd add WR Paul Richardson in his place. Robinson would be a nice addition. A few others on offense:
C Weston Richburg
C Ryan Jensen
C Spencer Long
HB Rex Burkhead

On defense, a few of the guys I like are:
ILB Todd Davis
OLB Aaron Lynch
ILB Nigel Bradham
ILB Preston Brown
NT Bennie Logan
NT Star Lotulelei
CB Malcolm Butler
CB Bashaud Breeland

Obviously, if we want to retain our guys, money will be tightish, so we likely won't be able to grab a top FA.
Todd Davis is my favorite FA target this offseason.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Graham would be unstoppable if we signed him. So many throws Goff could make that Wilson never could, would have Graham back to like he was with the Saints. Problem is money. I don't see him being in our budget.

I don't know man, maybe I'm underestimating the stupidity of the FA market, but I don't see him bein all that costly. He's played poorly with the Shithawks, and is up there in age. That's a combo that makes teams cautious.

Plus he's a vet who knows the importance of fit now. I'd have to think he is more concerned with location and fit than anything else. Give him a contract with some heavy incentives, not too many years, and see what happens. I'd at least be callin his reps and letting them know the fit is there.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Todd Davis is my favorite FA target this offseason.

He knows the defense, but you're talkin a very pedestrian addition so he'd have to come cheap.

I'd rather have them sign one guy who is a plus player than several dudes who are more of the same of what we have on the roster. Littleton might beat that dude out tbh, after another camp.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg

Regardless of what he did in Seattle or why, who do you think defenses will be thinking about more next year, Graham or higbee or Everett.? Mcvay could get Graham back to the pro bowl level. Will Everett or higbee ever get there?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
One last note on Demario Davis... As good as he has been this season there's a chance the Jets don't try hard enough to sign him. And I think it might be because he was a big part of the behind closed door session with the owners on the anthem protests. I have nothing to back that up, just a hunch.

Plus his spike in production happened to time itself with his impending FA. But I'm not too worried about that if he hits FA for a couple reasons. One, he took a big paycut to get out of Cleveland when they traded him back to the Jets. Two, he admits he didn't have the understanding with run fits and assignment.

I'm sure the Jets will end up retaining him. But you never know.

fearsomefour

Legend
He knows the defense, but you're talkin a very pedestrian addition so he'd have to come cheap.

I'd rather have them sign one guy who is a plus player than several dudes who are more of the same of what we have on the roster. Littleton might beat that dude out tbh, after another camp.
He will come relatively cheap but he is a guy who can play inside or outside in my opinion.
Worst case provides depth across the board.
Best case starts and upgrades a spot.
I want Dontarius Poe as well.
That would be plus signing for sure but won't be cheap.
That is why Insay Davis is my top target.
The Rams land him if they want, won't break the bank and fills a role.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan

I'd like to see Burton from the Eagles come aboard. Future star. Excellent possession TEWR that would put Goff over the top.

I am willing to give our young TE's some time, but man are they frustrating with the constant drops. One week it's Everett stinking up the joint vs the Niners, the next week Higbee drops a critical TD.

We must sign a center unless we resign Sullivan!!

Idk. I think his dominant days are behind him, while Everett’s best days are ahead. I don’t want to overpay for a name when we can spend money wisely. I’m willing to give Everett a pass. He’s a rookie and clearly still thinking too much. Can’t expect him to come in and put up 700 yards when our offense didn’t get a single receiver over 1000