Free Agent FITS for the Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
McKinnon would be more than just a backup. He'd be useful enough to actually give Gurley a break and not have the offense grind to a stop.

We don't need more than just a backup. Gurley doesn't need more than an occasional breather. I'm not taking him off the field for anyone.

The Rams could certainly get a RB in the draft, but unless you are thinking they use their 1st or 3rd round pick on one, what you're really talking about is hoping the Rams can find a decent one one late. McKinnon would be a much more proven commodity than a day three selection.

Yes, I'm hoping the Rams can find a decent backup in the draft, which is quite easy to do. Of course, we already have a decent enough backup in Malcolm Brown, so we really don't need much.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Perfect offseason would be a short, prove-it deal to get Graham's ancient, pass-catchin @$$ in here, and the big ticket signing being Demario Davis, which settles the interior LB spot and moves Tree to weak where he's better suited. Along with re-signings of NRC, Joyner, Watkins (sounds like McVay wants him back), Sully at a minimum.

Then draft the F out of defense, adding a NT, CB, and edge OLB (in whatever combination) to the mix with our higher picks.

Disagree. I think Everett can do big things. We have limited cap resources. We need to spend them where they're needed.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Disagree. I think Everett can do big things. We have limited cap resources. We need to spend them where they're needed.

I think he will do big things too. Still want Graham on a prove-it deal. Provides depth and insurance.

McVay needs better TE production, can't risk a situation where Everett doesn't develop.

MadGoat

Mathematically alive
We don't need more than just a backup. Gurley doesn't need more than an occasional breather. I'm not taking him off the field for anyone.

Yes, I'm hoping the Rams can find a decent backup in the draft, which is quite easy to do. Of course, we already have a decent enough backup in Malcolm Brown, so we really don't need much.
That's how you end up with worn down/injured running backs at the end of the year. Gurley defied the odds this year, but the position is a meat grinder.

Brown is average at best and certainly not good enough to handle the load if something happened to Gurley.

LA_Rams_#29

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
LA Rams 29
I dont want flashes from our TE. I want a constant threat like Graham or Eifert. If Everett is so good then why have they barely used the kid. Our TE usage is minimal in the passing game. Lets get someone that defenses will have to account for because that TE was not on the team this year, obviously.

you answered your own question...

Our TE usage is minimal in the passing game... that's why our TEs have only shown flashes. The solution isn't to go out and spend money on another TE..the answer is to use our talented TEs more.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think he will do big things too. Still want Graham on a prove-it deal. Provides depth and insurance.

McVay needs better TE production, can't risk a situation where Everett doesn't develop.

We've got a lot of guys to re-sign. I'd rather have a starting ILB or NT or CB than Jimmy Graham.

That's how you end up with worn down/injured running backs at the end of the year. Gurley defied the odds this year, but the position is a meat grinder.

Brown is average at best and certainly not good enough to handle the load if something happened to Gurley.

Great. Use a draft pick on a HB if you're concerned about wearing down Gurley. See above for the issue here. I'm taking a starter at an important position over depth behind Gurley.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I dont want flashes from our TE. I want a constant threat like Graham or Eifert. If Everett is so good then why have they barely used the kid. Our TE usage is minimal in the passing game. Lets get someone that defenses will have to account for because that TE was not on the team this year, obviously.

Because he was a ROOKIE. Eifert is not a consistent anything because he's not consistently on the field.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River

The problem isn't with Gurley or Brown, but will McVay even use them enough to tire them. We never got to see if Justin Davis could do an adequate job. We've got three 6'th round draft picks, I imagine we'll draft a later round RB to compete, although i'm not sure he'll ever see the light of day. Maybe someone who can function somewhat as a gadget for Austin's replacement. jmo.

Ram65

Legend

I don't think Graham has anything to prove and @ 31 since Nov. He should get a good 3 year deal. I wouldn't mind him either. I want a speedy RB/WR to replace Tavon.

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We've got a lot of guys to re-sign. I'd rather have a starting ILB or NT or CB than Jimmy Graham.

Doesn't have to be either/or. And obviously we don't chase the dude if it's gonna be costly.

Putting all their eggs for next season into the Everett basket is risky. As much as I still believe in the dude, I'm not sure we can count on him. And Higs might surprise, or he might stay as the same guy we've seen through camp until the dropped pass in the playoff game. I presume Eifert gets most of the play on the market, so figure he's gonna get too pricey. The kid from Philly is possible, but not sure how much an upgrade he is tbh, as that room is well coached up there. If things go the way I believe they will, Graham won't be too heavily pursued and should be cheap or a short prove it type deal.

If they go after a NT that's something I can get behind. Think it's unlikely due to the cash tied up in 3T and 5T but never know.

ILB is where they have some reasonable choices. Gotta think whatever happens with TE that they get someone in here at ILB after cutting Barron.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Doesn't have to be either/or. And obviously we don't chase the dude if it's gonna be costly.

Putting all their eggs for next season into the Everett basket is risky. As much as I still believe in the dude, I'm not sure we can count on him. And Higs might surprise, or he might stay as the same guy we've seen through camp until the dropped pass in the playoff game. I presume Eifert gets most of the play on the market, so figure he's gonna get too pricey. The kid from Philly is possible, but not sure how much an upgrade he is tbh, as that room is well coached up there. If things go the way I believe they will, Graham won't be too heavily pursued and should be cheap or a short prove it type deal.

If they go after a NT that's something I can get behind. Think it's unlikely due to the cash tied up in 3T and 5T but never know.

ILB is where they have some reasonable choices. Gotta think whatever happens with TE that they get someone in here at ILB after cutting Barron.

Don't forget that Hemingway will be returning from IR, while not proven he should have his shot. Wait another season, if the 3 very young receivers already on the roster can't cut it, i'm sure many of us will join in with the demand for better play out of this unit. jmo.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

It really does have to be either/or. We are going to have tough decisions to make this off-season if we extend Donald.

We drafted Everett in the 2nd round. McVay is the TE whisperer. Everett has already shown he can get open against NFL DBs. I'm putting my eggs in that basket next year. Worst case scenario, we are stuck with another year of Higbee being average.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Don't forget that Hemingway will be returning from IR, while not proven he should have his shot. Wait another season, if the 3 very young receivers already on the roster can't cut it, i'm sure many of us will join in with the demand for better play out of this unit. jmo.

I don't trust Hemingway. Everett is our hope at TE.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It really does have to be either/or. We are going to have tough decisions to make this off-season if we extend Donald.

We drafted Everett in the 2nd round. McVay is the TE whisperer. Everett has already shown he can get open against NFL DBs. I'm putting my eggs in that basket next year. Worst case scenario, we are stuck with another year of Higbee being average.

I'd like to see why you feel that we can't afford a prove it deal to an old TE. From what I've seen of the cap I feel that's a ridiculous stance.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd like to see why you feel that we can't afford a prove it deal to an old TE. From what I've seen of the cap I feel that's a ridiculous stance.

Because a "prove it" deal for a TE who caught 10 TDs this year won't be less than $7 million per year. I ran the numbers last night. We don't have much wiggle room if we want to retain everyone.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Because a "prove it" deal for a TE who caught 10 TDs this year won't be less than $7 million per year. I ran the numbers last night. We don't have much wiggle room if we want to retain everyone.

Oh no you dint!!!!

M_HY8c.gif

$30K ROD dolla says the Rams go get a TE in FA. You wanna go??? :p

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Oh no you dint!!!!

M_HY8c.gif

$30K ROD dolla says the Rams go get a TE in FA. You wanna go??? :p

It depends. We need more parameters than that. The Rams could very well sign a depth TE.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
In what world is a TE that caught 60 passes and 10 touchdowns needing to sign a prove it deal?

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I don't see any of those guys as anything but depth. Throwin good money after bad IMO there Boni.

Star is probably the best player of the bunch, but even before his injury the dude played like garbage. He's all name IMO. Buyer beware.

I would agree with you fully that most all UFA's are just plain real bad deals in cost terms to the building of a team. You know my stance well on UFA's & its not all that positive unless its about Offensive Linemen. This is jrry's list not mine these these are the ones I thought were the best of his list.

One of jrry's listed UFA's the Washington center Spencer Long helped blow open numerous holes in our DL in the Rams loss to the Skins. He is a top 10 center in the NFL & far from being depth on this Ram team. He would be a great replacement for John Sullivan or Rodger Saffold or Jamon Brown take your pick not bad when you can be plugged in to any of the 3 interior posts. Long is every bit as good as Sullivan but is only 26 yrs old & has played all 3 interior posts.

Star Lotulelei is a natural NT type not a former DE like Ethan Westbrooks but I not going to pay him over 8 to 9 million year either if it were my decision. He is just the best NT type that will be a UFA . Star earned a near 7 million in 2017 he will demand big $$ not a good deal either. I would prefer to sign our own NT Tyrunn Walker back again go with our own good young prospect NT Omarius Bryant & draft a solid NT prospect. Then we still have Westbrooks under contract too. No real need to speed that cap cash on any UFA Nose IMO.

Now last night we watched two of the best college team battle for the Championship both these teams ran a 34 Defense. These two front five DL's were dominating. Most of the major college teams run 34 D's. Each & every season the college serves out copious amount of excellent 34 D edge rushers/ OSLB'er & very few 43 DE's or NFL ready OL'ers. I think it best for Snead & Wade to take advantage of this situation & draft from this glut of very special athletes & avoid overpaying for Edge Rushers like Rob Quinn over 12 million, Aaron Lynch & Ahmad Brooks who was making over 8 million for the 9ers early last season.

What do you think Merlin on the above ? or :bueller: