Free Agent FITS for the Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Signing our own guys has got to be the top priority and then if we can't we go shopping elsewhere. I doubt we really pick up anyone major in FA if we're able to sign our own guys.

That being said, if we were to have new blood in FA, I suspect it will come from mid-to-low tier priced CBs, DTs, LBs and tackles.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
It depends. We need more parameters than that. The Rams could very well sign a depth TE.

Ok then here are the parameters...

Rams will sign Graham, Eifert, or Burton to ensure McVay has the pieces to escape from 11 personnel dependency.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I would agree with you fully that most all UFA's are just plain real bad deals in cost terms to the building of a team. You know my stance well on UFA's & its not all that positive unless its about Offensive Linemen. This is jrry's list not mine these these are the ones I thought were the best of his list.

One of jrry's listed UFA's the Washington center Spencer Long helped blow open numerous holes in our DL in the Rams loss to the Skins. He is a top 10 center in the NFL & far from being depth on this Ram team. He would be a great replacement for John Sullivan or Rodger Saffold or Jamon Brown take your pick not bad when you can be plugged in to any of the 3 interior posts. Long is every bit as good as Sullivan but is only 26 yrs old & has played all 3 interior posts.

Star Lotulelei is a natural NT type not a former DE like Ethan Westbrooks but I not going to pay him over 8 to 9 million year either if it were my decision. He is just the best NT type that will be a UFA . Star earned a near 7 million in 2017 he will demand big $$ not a good deal either. I would prefer to sign our own NT Tyrunn Walker back again go with our own good young prospect NT Omarius Bryant & draft a solid NT prospect. Then we still have Westbrooks under contract too. No real need to speed that cap cash on any UFA Nose IMO.

Now last night we watched two of the best college team battle for the Championship both these teams ran a 34 Defense. These two front five DL's were dominating. Most of the major college teams run 34 D's. Each & every season the college serves out copious amount of excellent 34 D edge rushers/ OSLB'er & very few 43 DE's or NFL ready OL'ers. I think it best for Snead & Wade to take advantage of this situation & draft from this glut of very special athletes & avoid overpaying for Edge Rushers like Rob Quinn over 12 million, Aaron Lynch & Ahmad Brooks who was making over 8 million for the 9ers early last season.

What do you think Merlin on the above ? or :bueller:

Long is mediocre. I prefer Sully to him. Future C will be a draft need I think.

Star is overrated. Watch THIS year's games. Dude was terrible.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Ok then here are the parameters...

Rams will sign Graham, Eifert, or Burton to ensure McVay has the pieces to escape from 11 personnel dependency.

Again, i'll take that bet. Graham is too expensive, Eifert is too much of a gamble to see the playing field, and Burton doesn't really have the size and blocking ability I prefer. I might gamble on Eifert for a one year 'show me' contract if he came in with a seriously cheap price tag, meaning not much above $1.mil, otherwise I go with our 3 young guys (Everett, Higbee, Hemingway) for another year. jmo.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Again, i'll take that bet. Graham is too expensive, Eifert is too much of a gamble to see the playing field, and Burton doesn't really have the size and blocking ability I prefer. I might gamble on Eifert for a one year 'show me' contract if he came in with a seriously cheap price tag, meaning not much above $1.mil, otherwise I go with our 3 young guys (Everett, Higbee, Hemingway) for another year. jmo.

Then you're on River! Hopefully we'll remember to check back on this in a couple months lol. Last bet I made with Jrry we both forgot. ;)

EDIT: oh and like I alluded to in the previous post my reasoning is I think McVay was disappointed with his TE room, and it reflected in his inability to utilize 12 personnel which is going to factor in largely for improving for next year's playoffs and ability to advance.

As much as I expect a big year from Everett, we still look thin there. Carrier will leave most likely, as he's not any sort of answer and tbh Higs has become quite good as a blocker. One guy over the top who can boost this room makes the whole thing look much better.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
In what world is a TE that caught 60 passes and 10 touchdowns needing to sign a prove it deal?

After some of the posts in this thread I went back and rewatched many of Seattle's games, which was effin hard let me tell you. Initial take was that his age and lack of production outside the red zone would hurt his value. I'm man enough to admit I might be wrong on that though. Might be. Because he was indeed an inconsistent player for them.

He could get that $7M range that Jrry alluded to. But one thing to consider is that the market can be strange too, and if the right teams aren't lookin at him as an upgrade then value can drop. It was different circumstances involved with Jeffery, but he's one of those examples of how a player might hit the market and if he doesn't like what he sees then he bets on himself.

Last edited:

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Then you're on River! Hopefully we'll remember to check back on this in a couple months lol. Last bet I made with Jrry we both forgot. ;)

EDIT: oh and like I alluded to in the previous post my reasoning is I think McVay was disappointed with his TE room, and it reflected in his inability to utilize 12 personnel which is going to factor in largely for improving for next year's playoffs and ability to advance.

As much as I expect a big year from Everett, we still look thin there. Carrier will leave most likely, as he's not any sort of answer and tbh Higs has become quite good as a blocker. One guy over the top who can boost this room makes the whole thing look much better.

We also have two TE's on our practice squad, so I have to imagine McVay sees something in them.

Perhaps @flv can handle the bet ?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We also have two TE's on our practice squad, so I have to imagine McVay sees something in them.

Perhaps @flv can handle the bet ?

Maybe who knows, but I think we gotta view those dudes as longshots. Neither's got anything special in their future other than maybe teams and being able to spell a blow for the main TEs here and there.

Hemingway's a bonus guy IMO. Unlike the two above he does have some really good size/athleticism. If he can make a jump that's cool, but not expecting anything from him. I do plan on watching him and Higs both a lot in this next camp, and praying for either to show better hands, but if they don't and there isn't anyone added over the top meh.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Maybe who knows, but I think we gotta view those dudes as longshots. Neither's got anything special in their future other than maybe teams and being able to spell a blow for the main TEs here and there.

Hemingway's a bonus guy IMO. Unlike the two above he does have some really good size/athleticism. If he can make a jump that's cool, but not expecting anything from him. I do plan on watching him and Higs both a lot in this next camp, and praying for either to show better hands, but if they don't and there isn't anyone added over the top meh.

I think Everett will make the big jump next year, he was hand picked by McVay to lead this unit. 4'th and 6'th round TE's like Higbee & Hemingway don't always develop overnight, so I still give them a little time to adjust, ... and changing from a Boras scheme to a McVay scheme had to involve some serious culture shock. I'll definitely be looking to upgrade this unit in 2019 if they don't improve in a big way next season. jmo.

Last edited:
Name
Seth Griffith
I think on offense, we resign Watkins and sign/draft some OL.

IMO, the rest of the draft n Ed’s to address the defensive side of the ball. Imagine if we can make some considerable improvement (NT, LB, depth) what it could do! I think our offense should remain just as dangerous, but if we can improve that defense into a legit top 5-10 defense, that makes us scary! Draft well on that side of the ball and pick up a few key FA’s and let’s go deep into the playoffs in 2018.

Ellard80

Legend
I don't see us adding a TE. Everett has shown a lot of flashes. I see him being a big part of the offense next year. Davante Adams re-signed with the Packers. I'd add WR Paul Richardson in his place. Robinson would be a nice addition. A few others on offense:
C Weston Richburg
C Ryan Jensen
C Spencer Long
HB Rex Burkhead

On defense, a few of the guys I like are:
ILB Todd Davis
OLB Aaron Lynch
ILB Nigel Bradham
ILB Preston Brown
NT Bennie Logan
NT Star Lotulelei
CB Malcolm Butler
CB Bashaud Breeland

Obviously, if we want to retain our guys, money will be tightish, so we likely won't be able to grab a top FA.

In his Sunday Presser McVay made a subtle comment on the TE - He doesn't seem very satisfied with that area. As I also commented saturday, we are pretty strong in most places besides TE, someone who posted some grades in the same celebration thread - which grades gave the TE a C - I'd take Graham... but he might be too expensive.

McVay also admitted that there will be a lot of different faces here next year.

TexasRam

Legend
I would agree with you fully that most all UFA's are just plain real bad deals in cost terms to the building of a team. You know my stance well on UFA's & its not all that positive unless its about Offensive Linemen. This is jrry's list not mine these these are the ones I thought were the best of his list.

One of jrry's listed UFA's the Washington center Spencer Long helped blow open numerous holes in our DL in the Rams loss to the Skins. He is a top 10 center in the NFL & far from being depth on this Ram team. He would be a great replacement for John Sullivan or Rodger Saffold or Jamon Brown take your pick not bad when you can be plugged in to any of the 3 interior posts. Long is every bit as good as Sullivan but is only 26 yrs old & has played all 3 interior posts.

Star Lotulelei is a natural NT type not a former DE like Ethan Westbrooks but I not going to pay him over 8 to 9 million year either if it were my decision. He is just the best NT type that will be a UFA . Star earned a near 7 million in 2017 he will demand big $$ not a good deal either. I would prefer to sign our own NT Tyrunn Walker back again go with our own good young prospect NT Omarius Bryant & draft a solid NT prospect. Then we still have Westbrooks under contract too. No real need to speed that cap cash on any UFA Nose IMO.

Now last night we watched two of the best college team battle for the Championship both these teams ran a 34 Defense. These two front five DL's were dominating. Most of the major college teams run 34 D's. Each & every season the college serves out copious amount of excellent 34 D edge rushers/ OSLB'er & very few 43 DE's or NFL ready OL'ers. I think it best for Snead & Wade to take advantage of this situation & draft from this glut of very special athletes & avoid overpaying for Edge Rushers like Rob Quinn over 12 million, Aaron Lynch & Ahmad Brooks who was making over 8 million for the 9ers early last season.

What do you think Merlin on the above ? or :bueller:

I agree. That has always been one of the benefits for teams like the Steelers that were running the 3-4. They could get those edge rushers in the late rounds because those dudes didn't fit the 4-3 for the other teams drafting.

I agree on the Spencer Long or Richburg play. Get younger at center. This is where I am heavily prioritizing my Free Agent pursuits after signing my own guys.