Frank Cignetti just got fired.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

cvramsfan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
To me it is pretty simple, this is the move that saves Fishers job for next year. Just as I posted in another thread, Fisher was hired to see the move to LA. If the team does not move (again see other thread, I don't care where they play, just start winning) Fisher will be fired. It they move or there is still a chance they move after 2016 season he stays to see the move thru and get one season to get his shit together. I hope I am wrong and he is gone no matter what.

BadCompany

Rookie
I do believe these need some re-arranging.

Titanic-Deck-Chairs.jpg

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I think Gurley is getting fewer touches because they know they are out of it. They really ought to keep his carries down for the last 4 games as well.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This seems like the sort of desperate move that a coach makes when he knows he's nearing the end. Cignetti is a scapegoat. Getting rid of him won't solve our problems.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
"Rams promoted Rob Boras. He is also not qualified to be an OC. He's been a TE coach since 2004. Has never called plays. A ridiculous replacement".
This was on Facebook by a Rams fan, thought I would share it.
and that's why all I can do is laugh. the incompetence is comical at this point. no shits given anymore.

MountainRam

Rookie
I think Gurley is getting fewer touches because they know they are out of it. They really ought to keep his carries down for the last 4 games as well.

When Rams record was 4-4, did all Rams coaches decide the season is over and so they are going save their golden boy to gift wrap him to next coaching staff once they are all fired this season? If that is the case, what you say makes sense.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
"Rams promoted Rob Boras. He is also not qualified to be an OC. He's been a TE coach since 2004. Has never called plays. A ridiculous replacement".
This was on Facebook by a Rams fan, thought I would share it.

"Has never called plays" is not in and of itself a disqualifier for an OC candidate. Mike Martz had never called plays either, was only a WR and QB coach at the NFL level. I thought he kinda sorta did a not half bad job in his first year as OC. ;)

Don't get me wrong, I don't expect Boras to be anywhere near that level, but I'm not going to judge him based on whether he called plays before, only how he does now that he gets the opportunity.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm not onboard with the whole Fisher is running the offense idea. It doesn't compute. 18 carries for Gurley in two blowout losses? That's not a Fisher offense.
He's getting fewer touches because we're getting blown out almost immediately and running him into a wall of humanity when our O-line can barely stop anybody will do nothing but wear him down when he's already got years of his RB career shaved off already.

What's the point of running Gurley up the middle when you're down by like 20 when three guys are in your back field looking to put him out for an extended period of time?

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
He's getting fewer touches because we're getting blown out almost immediately and running him into a wall of humanity when our O-line can barely stop anybody will do nothing but wear him down when he's already got years of his RB career shaved off already.

What's the point of running Gurley up the middle when you're down by like 20 when three guys are in your back field looking to put him out for an extended period of time?

How about getting a little creative and trying to get him the ball in different situations? There's no rule that says they always have to run up the middle.

beej

Rookie
it's worth looking into how we got in to this situation in the first place. They hung on to Schottie too long. Then they couldn't hire a descent OC. And had to use in-house ad hoc squad. Reasons?
1) questions about the move to LA and playing in a lame duck city.
2) Fisher's contract had a limited time on it which makes it a possible one year gig
3) the O-line and the QB situation was in shambles at the time of the OC search. So you interview for this job and start weighing all that out and decide, "No, I'm going somewhere more stable." which is what everyone did. Everyone except Schotttie that is, who may have gotten his head coach fired in Georgia.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
How about getting a little creative and trying to get him the ball in different situations? There's no rule that says they always have to run up the middle.
That's true, but that opens the can of worms that is Boras was the one drawing up the run plays to begin with.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
At least Cignetti's got a jump on his job search! Probably a bunch more on the way in about 4 weeks!

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
it's worth looking into how we got in to this situation in the first place. They hung on to Schottie too long. Then they couldn't hire a descent OC. And had to use in-house ad hoc squad. Reasons?
1) questions about the move to LA and playing in a lame duck city.
2) Fisher's contract had a limited time on it which makes it a possible one year gig
3) the O-line and the QB situation was in shambles at the time of the OC search. So you interview for this job and start weighing all that out and decide, "No, I'm going somewhere more stable." which is what everyone did. Everyone except Schotttie that is, who may have gotten his head coach fired in Georgia.

Agree. After 2013, he canned Walton to go out and get a better coordinator, Williams. He should have done the same on the O side of the ball, because Norv Turner was available, and there will be absolutely nobody that can convince me he wouldn't have been a significant upgrade over Schotty.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
That's true, but that opens the can of worms that is Boras was the one drawing up the run plays to begin with.

Well, Cigs had the final call on that, so you can't blame Boras for what has already happened. Going forward, we'll see. Granted, I'm not optimistic, but I don't think there is anyway you could justify keeping Cigs at the end of the season, so might as well put him out of his misery now and see if Boras can do anything.

Ajb44

Rookie
Name
Alex
As we all can probably agree on, it technically can't get worse. So we shall see how it plays out.

RamzFanz

Damnit

Yeah, I understand the logic of not running when you're way behind, but that's not what happened at all though. Rams were down 10 points in the first half and just 7 points until the last 5 minutes of the third quarter. When Gurley had his longest run of the day in the 3rd quarter, 34 yards, Rams were down 7 points. In the 2nd and 3rd quarters Gurley had 3 touches.

As bad as the end score looks, Rams were in that game for a long time.

I think the immediate firing of Ciggi tells us he didn't run the offense the way Fisher wanted, not that Fisher was running the offense.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Well, Cigs had the final call on that, so you can't blame Boras for what has already happened. Going forward, we'll see. Granted, I'm not optimistic, but I don't think there is anyway you could justify keeping Cigs at the end of the season, so might as well put him out of his misery now and see if Boras can do anything.
Oh I'm not trying to justify Cigs, far from it.

I'm just saying, Boras is probably not going to be any better because ultimately Fisher is still here and the offense sucks because of him, not in spite of him.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

BorasCoachCard062215.jpg

Biography
Rob Boras enters his fourth season with the Rams and his first as Assistant Head Coach/Offense, a position to which he was promoted in February. Boras joined the Rams in 2012 as the team’s tight ends coach, and he’ll continue to hold those responsibilities while having a bigger role in the entire offense.

Under the watch of Boras, the Rams’ tight ends have played a major role in the team’s offense. In 2014, Jared Cook led the Rams with 52 receptions, which is the third-highest single-season total by a tight end in Rams history. Cook finished second among all Rams with 634 receiving yards last season, and Lance Kendricks led the team in receiving touchdowns with five.

A year earlier in 2013, Rams tight ends accounted for half of the team’s receiving touchdowns as Cook (5), Kendricks (4) and Cory Harkey (2) combined for 11 touchdown catches. Cook set a new Rams single-season record for receiving yards by a tight end (671), and Cook’s 141 yards in Week 1 are the most in a game by a tight end in Rams history. St. Louis tight ends also played a key role in a running game that helped Zac Stacy rush for the third-most yards by a rookie in team history (973).

Rams tight ends combined for 97 receptions in 2013, which was the second-highest total in franchise history at the position and fourth most by a team in the NFL. The 1,047 yards by Rams tight ends also set a new franchise record and ranked sixth in the league in 2013, and the 11 touchdowns by Cook, Kendricks and Harkey was the fourth most in the NFL and most in a season in franchise history.

Prior to joining the Rams, Boras spent two years in Jacksonville as the tight ends coach. Under Boras the Jaguars tight ends group had its best season in 2010, highlighted by Marcedes Lewis’ selection to his first Pro Bowl. Lewis turned in a career-high 58 receptions for 700 yards and a team-record-tying 10 touchdown catches. As a group, the tight ends caught 82 passes for 943 yards and 11 touchdowns, and the unit’s blocking was a factor in the Jaguars rush¬ing attack, which ranked third in the NFL.

Before joining the Jaguars, Boras spent six seasons (2004-09) with the Chicago Bears as the tight ends coach. The Bears’ 2009 tight ends led the NFL in touchdown receptions with 13 (Greg Olsen 8, Kellen Davis 3, Desmond Clark 2). Olsen led the Bears in 2009 with 60 receptions for 612 yards and eight touchdowns, and he also led the team in touchdown receptions in 2008 with five.

In 2008, Olsen and Desmond Clark accounted for 95 recep¬tions, the most catches in a single season for a Bears tight end unit in team history. The 95 receptions were the fifth-most in the NFL among tight end units. In addition, the duo recorded 300-plus receiving yards for the second consecutive season, only the second tight end duo in franchise history to accom¬plish the feat.

Prior to his time in Chicago, Boras spent five seasons (1999-2003) at Nevada-Las Vegas under Head Coach John Robinson including three seasons as offensive coordinator. During his tenure with the Rebels the school ranked among the nation’s leaders in rushing offense, finishing 15th in 2002, 16th in 2001 and 13th in 2000. During a three-year span from 2000-02, the Rebels recorded 28 individual 100-yard rushing games in a 34-game stretch. Boras served as offensive line coach for five seasons and directed a group that allowed only 12 sacks in 2001 and paved the way for a 1,000-yard rusher in consecutive seasons for the first time since 1973-74.

A native of Glen Ellyn, Ill., Boras spent one season as head coach at NCAA Division III Benedictine University in Lisle, Ill. He also spent time at Texas (1994-97) in various capacities when the school earned trips to three bowl games and was Big 12 champion in 1996. He began as a graduate assistant with the Longhorns, working with the offensive line before serving as tight ends coach (1995). Boras also served as special assistant to the team (1996) and tight ends coach/special teams assistant (1997).

Boras played center at DePauw University in Greencastle, Ind., from 1988-91. He began his coaching career overseeing the offensive line at his alma mater following his graduation with a degree in Political Science in 1992. He later earned a master’s degree in sports