Former Denver TE Jeb Putzier No Fan of Schotty: "He's Horrible"

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
"Dahhhh, I'm Jebediah Putzy! I score 3 touchdowns in sebben years! Dahhh!"

51f5185e0b76a.preview-300.jpg

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Wow! Is this kind of HARSH and PUBLIC criticism precedented? Isn't he burning bridges by saying things like this? Schotty is a member of the "old-school" NFL network, regardless of how good he is. Plus he was the OC for a team that made the conference championship game, twice...

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Fuck it i'm going out to dinner and a movie. John Wick.

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
He calls it like he sees it.
hor·ri·ble
adjective\ˈhȯr-ə-bəl, ˈhär-\
: causing horror : very shocking and upsetting
: very bad or unpleasant
I am sure Shott is not personally horrible, and I do not think anyone means that. But his play calling, adjustment during the game, and overall grasp of being an NFL OC is horrible :very bad.
I also think Fisher is just as guilty for allowing this to happen going on three years now.

StevenG-BR

Rookie
I'm not sure where I stand on this. Not yet.

But I wanted to remind people of that article earlier in the year where some reporter was supposedly at a bar with Rams players and they were bad mouthing Schotty. This sound bite suddenly adds credibility to that story.

Like I said, I haven't totally decided where I stand. But when former and current players call the OC trash, it's hard to believe that this is typical "I'm angry! Let's blame the OC!" jibberish we usually hear. He might actually be completely incompetent.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
I'm not sure where I stand on this. Not yet.

But I wanted to remind people of that article earlier in the year where some reporter was supposedly at a bar with Rams players and they were bad mouthing Schotty. This sound bite suddenly adds credibility to that story.

Like I said, I haven't totally decided where I stand. But when former and current players call the OC trash, it's hard to believe that this is typical "I'm angry! Let's blame the OC!" jibberish we usually hear. He might actually be completely incompetent.

I'm with you. There is a lot of smoke.... perhaps there is some fire? I really hope not, given that a new OC will come with yet another learning curve for our young team.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
Let's bring Martz back as the QB coach!

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
He calls it like he sees it.
hor·ri·ble
adjective\ˈhȯr-ə-bəl, ˈhär-\
: causing horror : very shocking and upsetting
: very bad or unpleasant
I am sure Shott is not personally horrible, and I do not think anyone means that. But his play calling, adjustment during the game, and overall grasp of being an NFL OC is horrible :very bad.
I also think Fisher is just as guilty for allowing this to happen going on three years now.

yea if shotty is realy that bad what does that say about fisher

moklerman

Warner-phile
When a player who actually played for a coach and in his system says something about the situation I think it actually has to be considered. Dismissing Putzier's opinion because one hasn't heard of him or because he didn't put up HOF numbers is faulty logic IMO.

It is rare to get a quote like this from a player about a coach so we have to ask why a member of the "club" is willing to speak out so frankly.

EDIT: dang, I thought Jeb played for Schottenheimer somewhere along the way. My bad. Of course, that really raises the question of why he'd be so willing to speak out against him. It's not like he's ever sat in on defensive meetings scheming against BS. Weird situation.

Last edited:

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Speaking for myself, I don't "passionately" defend Schotty. I do think people tend to overstate his flaws, blame him for all the bad then forget him when it's time to pass out credit for the good.

That said, if Fisher made a change at season's end, I'd neither be surprised nor angry.

I agree , further I don't so much "defend" Shotty as much as I contend that all the beautiful wildly successful plays the fans devise face imaginary defenses and in the NFL they are real.They say he should have done this and it's no contest it worked in their minds, when I disagree with a call I say so at the time but don't carry the illusion further that I KNOW it would have worked ,IOW I don't consider myself competent to criticize especially to the point I very often call for their heads and tend to believe that all the coaches in the NFL have a level of competence that IF the players buy in and execute ,it will work.
Maybe Shotty sucks but it's my bet that most of his detractors could sit down with him talk to him and come away impressed with his knowledge if they held an open mind.
What is more IF we bring Bradford back ,are we going to force him to learn a new offense ,isn't the number of OC's he's had been the " spin" on why he hasn't flourished after being OROY.
There has NEVER been a coach in St.Louis who hasn't had his share of critics ,many the day they were hired and FWIW critics always voice themselves far more "passionately" than defenders ..
If you block better and tackle better you win and I will say this I was impressed with how we tackled last week ,hopefully tomorrow we tackle Manning A LOT.

moklerman

Warner-phile
I agree , further I don't so much "defend" Shotty as much as I contend that all the beautiful wildly successful plays the fans devise face imaginary defenses and in the NFL they are real.They say he should have done this and it's no contest it worked in their minds, when I disagree with a call I say so at the time but don't carry the illusion further that I KNOW it would have worked ,IOW I don't consider myself competent to criticize especially to the point I very often call for their heads and tend to believe that all the coaches in the NFL have a level of competence that IF the players buy in and execute ,it will work.
Maybe Shotty sucks but it's my bet that most of his detractors could sit down with him talk to him and come away impressed with his knowledge if they held an open mind.
What is more IF we bring Bradford back ,are we going to force him to learn a new offense ,isn't the number of OC's he's had been the " spin" on why he hasn't flourished after being OROY.
There has NEVER been a coach in St.Louis who hasn't had his share of critics ,many the day they were hired and FWIW critics always voice themselves far more "passionately" than defenders ..
If you block better and tackle better you win and I will say this I was impressed with how we tackled last week ,hopefully tomorrow we tackle Manning A LOT.
It's a complete package thing, I think. You're probably right that he is very knowledgeable about concepts and schemes but being book smart isn't translating to everything else you need to be a successful OC. All the things being mentioned like adjustments, timing, etc., are part of it too and IMO(among others), Schottenheimer is lacking overall.