Former Denver TE Jeb Putzier No Fan of Schotty: "He's Horrible"

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Irish

Starter
I find it fascinating how many people, on this forum specifically, defend Schottenheimer so passionately.

It is almost impossible to find anyone that has a good thing to say about Schotty outside of Rams park and some ROD contributors.

I can see defending Fisher, or Williams, or Walton once upon a time, or Boudreau, but I can't wrap my mind around Schottenheimer.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Totally agree, get shot of schotty

"You have sat too long here for any good you have been doing. Depart, I say, and let us have done with you. In the name of God, go." Nice little WW2 quote

I was listening to move the sticks podcast and he was saying that chip Kelly had a "QB friendly system"..
Chip told him that if your system isn't QB friendly then your in the wrong job..

And Chip is correct LOL.

iced

I had Foles in fantasy too...kind of irrelevant.

was just saying i had incentive to watch and study the eagles when they did play

But I think it's dismissive to say a QB didn't play well when he had a 102 passer rating because he threw short screens. He still had over 300 yards and 2 TDs. That's a good day anyway you get it.
it's also a bad defense and most of the work was done by the receivers - the yards were earned after the catch and because of those players athletic ability, not because of Sanchez's arm.

When you gotta scale back the playbook and put less onus on your qb, says a lot about the QB... its like comparing the offense with clemens to bradford, huge difference in offensive style and philosophy.

Big Willie

Starter
I think it's unfair to say he's horrible. I think it is fair to say that his play calling and offensive tactics are from the 80's and 90's, and that he lacks innovation. He is a chip off the ole Marty block. Unfortunately, the NFL is a more of a matchup league than ever with innovators devising strategies to create mismatches for talented players. For weeks, we had a height mismatch with three players starting that were over 6'3" (Quick, Britt, Cook)....Did we take advantage of that situation and attack smaller corners? Hell to the Nau! I gotta believe Tavon is quicker than most LBs...how often has Shotty created schemes that match him 1 v 1 with a LB?

I know less about football than many on this forum, and I know Shotty knows more than I do. Unfortunately, he still thinks Martyball still works.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Here's my issue with Schotty...he is absolutely brilliant at times and then completely undoes that by outsmarting himself. His scripts are great on an almost weekly basis. And then it comes time to adjust and he goes away from what was working or refuses to adjust. I don't know what it is. He just doesn't seem to think well on his feet.
And this is pretty much the same exact complaint was while he in New York

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
I find it fascinating how many people, on this forum specifically, defend Schottenheimer so passionately.

It is almost impossible to find anyone that has a good thing to say about Schotty outside of Rams park and some ROD contributors.

I can see defending Fisher, or Williams, or Walton once upon a time, or Boudreau, but I can't wrap my mind around Schottenheimer.
Some guys are just deathly loyal, it doesn't matter what type of storm is befalling the guy, they'll defend them tooth and nail as long as they stay with the team. Then when they leave they unload a fury of years of repression. Saw it with Spags back in 2011 quite a bit. Guys defended him even while the team fell apart around him then when he was canned they destroyed him, just how some guys are.

I'm ready for something to change, be it Schottenheimer hitting the bricks or getting something like an assistant OC to help him adjust after the half.. Either way, Schott isn't getting it done by himself.

TexasRam

Legend
Schottenheimer is
Bad.

But you have to be a real putz to say he is horrible.

Show some class and dignity.

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
If you go to Jets forums and read back when Shotty was there you will read alot of the same shit people are saying around here and other Rams spots right now.

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
Shotty was dealt a bad QB situation but on the other hand he was dealt a dream situation with three ace RB's. It's his choice to emphasize a team weakness instead of it's strength.
I don't have sympathy for hard headed coaches like that. Coaches have to evolve in this league or they don't last. Ask Vermeil. He had to change and when he did it payed off huge.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave

Speaking for myself, I don't "passionately" defend Schotty. I do think people tend to overstate his flaws, blame him for all the bad then forget him when it's time to pass out credit for the good.

That said, if Fisher made a change at season's end, I'd neither be surprised nor angry.