For those worried that Goff will bust...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Both Newton and Luck were big physical guys who could make plays with their feet if they ever got into a jam. That's not Goff's game, though Wentz could probably get away with it.:whistle:
As long as Wentz ribs ever heal...

BadCompany

Rookie
If the Rams find themselves at 5-3 or better at the mid-season mark no one will be screaming for Goff.

I want to see where his head is next year. Does he know the plays at that time? Does he know who should be where?

Has he gotten better under center?

He can throw a football--I think most would agree. Arm talent is not one of his problems.

Game speed is a problem. What happens next year when he doesn't have to think about things so much? And perhaps when the Rams have improved the receiving corps more?

I have no problem with him sitting this year.

I think the offense will be better this year--even without Goff. I think we'll see improvement. That may be all it takes to slip into the playoffs. So, for me, pre-season is over. Case is the guy. I like Case. I believe he can bring a solid enough game to help this team improve. For now--I'll take it.

I get what you are saying, but if the team does make the playoffs without Goff, then wouldn't that beg the question "why trade all those picks to get a guy you didn't need?" Of course you could argue that Keenum/Mannion can get you to the playoffs whereas Goff can win you the Super Bowl, but until (if) that happens it's a moot point.

The flip side is even worse; what if we stink with Keenum and Mannion, as many think they will? What if we are just mediocre? We won't even reap the benefits of having those picks next year. That's a lot of capital to give up for your 2017 starter, no?

I'm not one that thinks that Goff should automatically start - as I've said in the past if he's not ready, he's just not ready. But on the other hand if they knew he was a project that wouldn't be ready does that change our view (as long suffering fans) of the trade? And if they thought he was going to be ready sooner rather than later, and he's not, what does that say about their ability to judge talent?

Ugh. I just want to win. I don't care how. I want to be in the playoffs. I want that excitement. I'm tired of scouting the draft in November (which will be even more pointless this year). Just win.

A55VA6

Legend
That's going a little far for me to accept.
I feel like it's a possibility, but I hope it's not reality.
Goff's arm talent, imo, is clearly the best on the team. It's only a matter of time before he takes the job and runs with it.

Rynie

Cowboys rudeboy.
Name
Rynie
We'll see if you're still laughing after jpp and Vernon start rushing your qb for real.

Not worried. We have beat the giants 5 out of the last 6 times. Their dline isn't the same.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
I'd like to see the QBs that lit up Pre-season that didn't amount to nothing. Im sure they exist.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Player development is a marathon not a sprint. But in the Wentz v Goff debate - one of the talking points for Goff was how much more ready he would probably be - and that clearly hasn't been the case (although its not like Wentz is breathing down Bradford's back).

Lets just hope he comes along.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Yes there is but damn how many times do i have to see Goff mishandle a snap, all the footwork in the world cant save you if you never get the ball. I also feel like he is going to have that Sam bradford batted ball syndrome too

Once? I mean he screwed up on a snap in game one right? That was from behind center, where he needs work... The one last night is something that has nothing to do with development, that was essentially the QB equivalent of a receiver looking up-field before completing the catch. As the game slows down that'll be fine. He's just thinking too much, you can tell...

bluecoconuts

Legend
Well I'm guessing Kroenke is who actually drafted Goff. I don't think it was as much Fisher or Snead as we all think. Kroenke said he saw a lot of Kurt Warner in Goff. Anyway, it's just a hunch of mine.

Oh, I didn't see the stat for fumbles.

Not really his MO, Kroenke is a guy who hires people to do the job, he hires football people, hockey people, that's their job. His job is to sign the paychecks.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Player development is a marathon not a sprint. But in the Wentz v Goff debate - one of the talking points for Goff was how much more ready he would probably be - and that clearly hasn't been the case (although its not like Wentz is breathing down Bradford's back).

Lets just hope he comes along.
Yeah, the experts thought Goff was more pro-ready and that Wentz size and frame would allow him to absorb hits
Looks like both guys missed the mark....

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Once? I mean he screwed up on a snap in game one right? That was from behind center, where he needs work... The one last night is something that has nothing to do with development, that was essentially the QB equivalent of a receiver looking up-field before completing the catch. As the game slows down that'll be fine. He's just thinking too much, you can tell...

That shouldnt happen at all especially since he is a guy that has only ever taken snaps from the shotgun, you add the fumbles and interceptions and its a problem im more understanding on him with the ints but the fumbles are game changers when its the qb

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Why not? The teams you mentioned totally sucked, but we are on the verge of being a playoff team. It's a different dynamic. We could, sacrifice this year, or we could throw egos out the window, and try to win every game we can.

And if we want to win you start out with keenum then Mannion. Goff is good to sale tickets and get the initial fan base happy but i quarantee if we are winning we wont care who is at qb

bluecoconuts

Legend
That shouldnt happen at all especially since he is a guy that has only ever taken snaps from the shotgun, you add the fumbles and interceptions and its a problem im more understanding on him with the ints but the fumbles are game changers when its the qb

That's how you know it's not a fundamental issue and more just a getting used to the speed of the game issue. Watch his head during the play, he's looking downfield already, he's trying to cheat, buying himself an extra second. As he gets used the speed that doesn't happen.

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
Ain't even worried about Goff, I know he can be good. @jrry32

I'm more worried about these decisions to not get him working with the 1s alot in preseason.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
It's not necessarily a bad situation to have a guy like Goff as our 3rd qb.
Remember when guys like Keith Null were our last hope?

Keenum has a great command of the offense. The team seems to stand behind him. He can win games.

Mannion has looked pretty good at times as well. He's He's a smart qb that knows the offense.

Goff is an incredible talent. It's nice to be in a situation where we don't have to run him out there before he's ready.
He's going you play this year.....and he's going to have his ups and downs, but he's going to solidify our qb position for years ro come.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Ain't even worried about Goff, I know he can be good. @jrry32

I'm more worried about these decisions to not get him working with the 1s alot in preseason.
That is the real problem and I seriously doubt Fisher ever intended to get him in with the 1's. This way he can run his conservative garbage offense and claim the kid wasn't ready and after we fall under .500 again this year he can plead for another year with the kid who "sat a year and is now magically ready to lead the offense through learning by osmosis".

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
Good post man. I'm not worried at all. He's going to be a stud. He's a rookie learning a ton like all QB's do.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
No freaking way people should be thinking he is a bust at this point in his NFL career. That's just crazy talk. Give him the right tools, i.e. receivers, o-line, and play calling and he will be great. It's just going to take some time.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
That is the real problem and I seriously doubt Fisher ever intended to get him in with the 1's. This way he can run his conservative garbage offense and claim the kid wasn't ready and after we fall under .500 again this year he can plead for another year with the kid who "sat a year and is now magically ready to lead the offense through learning by osmosis".
I doubt Fisher and Snead traded up to draft a guy they DIDN'T want