For those worried that Goff will bust...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rookie Preseason performances of the 5 QBs picked #1 overall prior to Goff:
Jameis Winston
23/47
48.9%
311 yards
6.6 YPA
0 TDs
2 Ints
52.7 QB Rating

Andrew Luck
41/66
62.1%
522 yards
7.9 YPA
3 TDs
2 Ints
89.3 QB Rating

Cam Newton
24/57
42.1%
300 yards
5.3 YPA
1 TD
0 Ints
64.9 QB Rating

Sam Bradford
33/55
60.0%
338 yards
6.1 YPA
3 TDs
0 Ints
95.9 QB Rating

Matthew Stafford
30/55
54.5%
389 yards
7.1 YPA
1 TD
4 Ints
52.8 QB Rating

Yep, the preseason tells you a lot about how successful QBs will be. ;)

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
All of those guys were better than him coming out of college

TXRams86

The Infamous
I don't know if Goff will be a bust or not...
What I DO know is that Fisher has proven to be a bust of a coach in his tenure with the Rams.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
All of those guys were better than him coming out of college

Awesome. Why did 3 of the 5 suck in the preseason? It's almost like there's a learning curve. :whistle:

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Awesome. Why did 3 of the 5 suck in the preseason? It's almost like there's a learning curve. :whistle:

Yes there is but damn how many times do i have to see Goff mishandle a snap, all the footwork in the world cant save you if you never get the ball. I also feel like he is going to have that Sam bradford batted ball syndrome too

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What I DO know is that Fisher has proven to be a bust of a coach in his tenure with the Rams.

Yeah I have to agree, im actually a fan of Fisher but it's becoming too depressing to watch this team throw the ball, run game and defense is awesome that why the Goff pick really threw me.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yes there is but damn how many times do i have to see Goff mishandle a snap, all the footwork in the world cant save you if you never get the ball. I also feel like he is going to have that Sam bradford batted ball syndrome too

The batted ball problem won't be a big issue once he settles in.

Handling a snap is the least of our worries. The issues now are coming from him having to think about a million different things. As soon as things slow down for him, he'll be fine. You can teach kids in Pop Warner football how to take a snap. It will come with reps.

TXRams86

The Infamous
Yeah I have to agree, im actually a fan of Fisher but it's becoming too depressing to watch this team throw the ball, run game and defense is awesome that why the Goff pick really threw me.
Fisher's a likable guy, don't get me wrong. Players apparently love playing for him. Hell, if I was a player, I'd want to play for him. Why would I want to play for anyone else when I don't have the stresses of Superbowl aspirations under Fisher, I'm guaranteed a big payday even if my production doesn't warrant it, and I have a spot on any team he coaches? Sounds like a sweet deal to me.

Obviously I'm joking....except for the Superbowl part.

Austin

Rookie
Name
Douglas
There's panic in the air right now.

I don't quite understand it. Goff looked good passing the ball. When things broke against him, he got humbled and took lumps. But as a passer, he has only looked good. Right now the game's going fast, there's too much running through his head pre-snap, post-snap, in the huddle. The talent is there, and he's shown that. As he settles in, the offense will come to him, and he'll become a true conductor out there.

I'm willing to be patient. Wouldn't mind him starting in 10 days either though. He looks like the real deal to me.

…..

Legend
These comparisons are worthless. Different teams, different times. I only care about Goff and what he can do. Thus far, I'm concerned.

You want to impress me with comparisons, find out how many of those QB's know where the freaken sun sets.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
Well you can't say bust yet....But, can you trust your intuition that you confidently believe that he is ready to start against the 49ners which as of now making a comeback. First game!

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
These comparisons are worthless. Different teams, different times. I only care about Goff and what he can do. Thus far, I'm concerned.

You want to impress me with comparisons, find out how many of those QB's know where the freaken sun sets.

3 out of the 5

Winston said it sets wherever the crab legs are. Stafford was too drunk to give an intelligible answer.

The comparisons aren't at all worthless. They make a pretty clear point.
(That point is to not jump to conclusions based on the preseason)

Tailback

Starter
Name
Taco Jones

It's a little more complicated than that TXRams. Fisher or Snisher have been absolute wizards in drafting and signing defensive players. They've had some whiffs here and there, but they've found absolute gems in piles of charcoal on the defensive side of the ball. Offensively, they finally addressed the Oline in a big way last year and Wichmann, Havenstein, and Brown look to be above average at least.

Where Fisher has failed, and where historically he has always failed is drafting WR and overall offensive philosophy.

Austin

Rookie
Name
Douglas
With just these games to go on.... I think you start him. He'll face some tough situations, but show him you're confident in him, and he'll reward you. Try to shelter him, and that's where you create a complex. Worried this staff will over-protect him.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I'm not one bit worried about Goff's long term future as our 'franchise' QB, but he is coming from a system which makes ours foreign to him, and I wouldn't wish our receiving corps on anyone. He'll be fine, and as many of us have stated countless times, has a learning curve for growing his development. He shows flashes of what he'll become all the time, he just needs to learn and grow more confident and comfortable with his new playbook. jmo.

…..

Legend
3 out of the 5

Winston said it sets wherever the crab legs are. Stafford was too drunk to give an intelligible answer.

Ok I'm impressed lol

But on topic...I do get it. We cant push the panic button. I dont think he's going to bust either.

But I had hoped we'd get alittle more out of him even this early. Hell, he hasnt even given us enough for you to justify and make a valid argument anymore about playing him over Case. The ONLY thing he' s shown us for certain is that he needs more time.

OregonRamsFan

All Horned Up
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well I'm guessing Kroenke is who actually drafted Goff. I don't think it was as much Fisher or Snead as we all think. Kroenke said he saw a lot of Kurt Warner in Goff. Anyway, it's just a hunch of mine.

Oh, I didn't see the stat for fumbles.

TXRams86

The Infamous
It's a little more complicated than that TXRams. Fisher or Snisher have been absolute wizards in drafting and signing defensive players. They've had some whiffs here and there, but they've found absolute gems in piles of charcoal on the defensive side of the ball. Offensively, they finally addressed the Oline in a big way last year and Wichmann, Havenstein, and Brown look to be above average at least.

Where Fisher has failed, and where historically he has always failed is drafting WR and overall offensive philosophy.
I won't deny that Snisher have a knack for finding and developing defensive talent. I'll even give them a pass on the whiffs and there have been a handful of them. But definitely more good than bad.

But, where Fisher (and I blame Fisher because Snead can only draft, he isn't a coach) has failed is developing the offensive side of the ball. Yes, he finally addressed the offensive line which I give him credit for. He still can't find a WR because he doesn't give any of them a damn chance to prove themselves! We had a ton of receivers in camp and from then until now, I don't see any of them having a clear advantage over the other (short of Nelson Spruce, he can actually catch). How is he going to find the next Isaac Bruce if he doesn't give his WR's enough reps during preseason? It's not hard to see what you have at running back, give the receivers more chances.

Whether fair or not, a coach is judged on the wins and losses and Fisher has lost more than he's won in his tenure with the Rams. If he was a first round QB, he'd be labeled a bust based on those numbers. Why can't a coach be judged the same way? He's been very stubborn in sticking with his philosophy even though it's been proven to be a losing one. Smart people know and accept their weaknesses, he does not. He instead continues to think he's the smartest person in the room and either hires offensive idiots (like Schotty) or handicaps proven offensive minds (like Groh).

When I put all of it together, he's a bust...that's my humble opinion and my criteria may be unfair. But...there is no denying that he hasn't even been able to coach all this talent into a playoff contender.

Ellard80

Legend
C'mon guys... Some of you I'm know have been NFL fans for decades.

Really? panic, and conclusions after preseason games.

I'm not saying what I think Goff will be or not be.

But the earnestness and surety of these comments are... bizarre.

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
I didn't remember seeing Goff under center at all today. He also doesn't appear to have a good grasp on audibles and he doesn't seem to have a very good hard count. He just needs time, look at what a year has done for Mannion. If Goff has to sit a year, I'm not gonna bat an eye. It's all about the long term and I like Keenum more than most so I'm ok. Plus, Gurley and Tavon have been in bubble wrap this preseason. I bet Goff starts looking really good in practice by week 4-6.