For those worried that Goff will bust...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Austin

Rookie
Name
Douglas
I didn't remember seeing Goff under center at all today. He also doesn't appear to have a good grasp on audibles and he doesn't seem to have a very good hard count. He just needs time, look at what a year has done for Mannion. If Goff has to sit a year, I'm not gonna bat an eye. It's all about the long term and I like Keenum more than most so I'm ok. Plus, Gurley and Tavon have been in bubble wrap this preseason. I bet Goff starts looking really good in practice by week 4-6.

Respect this take.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
No way I'd start Goff Week 1 but no way am I worried he's going to be a bust. I see tons of upside and it wouldn't surprise me if he's starting before the bye. Let's go beat the 49ers with Case Keenum!!!!!!

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
From the way he looked in preseason, I hope he doesn't play a single snap this year. I want to win now, I'm sick of losing.

A55VA6

Legend
I think Goff will turn out just fine. Big learning curve, and Goff emphasizes trying to become more comfortable for a reason. Shit takes time. I wouldn't be surprised if the Rams basically red shirt him this season, that's why Mannion is the backup right now. Let Goff learn and develop him the right way. When he's ready, he will play.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Bottom line here is Fish is a coach in year 5. He wants to win this season. In retrospect I should never have expected the kid to start, because Fish and Snead love Case and who knows, maybe they're right. Case knows the offense cold, and if he's that guy they think can lead their roster there's no way a rook is going to come in and take the job from him. Just like what we saw with the Packers and Favre at the helm when they brought in Rogers... There is a definite correlation there IMO.

I just keep going back to that Dallas game. Fish shoulda kept the kid in there, since that was the only non-top-5 defense they would face in preseason. But other than that it's hard to criticize him for his approach, because I understand he wants to win and Case does look pretty damn good in the Boras/Groh offense. He might be capable of getting it done, and that's gonna be my hope.

Since I'm a Rams fan first I'm just gonna root my ass off for Case and hope he can be consistent enough to counter defenses as they build a book on him. Then worry about Goff later. Give the kid a break, IMO. The arm talent is there, and once he has a grasp that allows him to anticipate defenses it will be game over. So not going to let the "sky is falling" type stuff ruin my enjoyment of a team I am so excited about this season.

Get out there and crush the Niners. One game at a time.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
C'mon guys... Some of you I'm know have been NFL fans for decades.

Really? panic, and conclusions after preseason games.

I'm not saying what I think Goff will be or not be.

But the earnestness and surety of these comments are... bizarre.

It's crazy to think we can evaluate anything when the LT is a turnstyle whenever Goff is in there. How can he get comfortable about anything when you have DE's almost taking the freaking handoff, they are getting back there so fast. Yes, Goff is unsettled right now and has made mistakes....Yes, I wanted Fisher fired after year three, but that may not happen (for whatever reason) next year. One good thing is if he sits, he has to make that scarecrow frame into an NFL body. I cringe every time he gets hit.

Ya'll need to relax. It's freaking preseason and accept the fact our number 1 pick is going to redshirt this year. It will be the best thing for him. Chilllllllllll duuuuuuude. Quit coming to such harsh conclusions on a game that guarantees nothing

raised_fisT

Hall of Fame
A lot of us were screaming about the sky falling LAST preseason too. With the "vanilla" playcalls and such. And we heard the same shit about "it's just the pre-season". Well, we still played like we were afraid to win or push the ball downfield in the regular season.... doesn't look like anything has really changed since then. Fisher has been coaching for how many years now? Do we really expect a tiger to change his stripes after all these years???

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
A lot of us were screaming about the sky falling LAST preseason too. With the "vanilla" playcalls and such. And we heard the same crap about "it's just the pre-season". Well, we still played like we were afraid to win or push the ball downfield in the regular season.... doesn't look like anything has really changed since then. Fisher has been coaching for how many years now? Do we really expect a tiger to change his stripes after all these years???
umm..Nick Foles?

*drops the mike..

raised_fisT

Hall of Fame
umm..Nick Foles?

*drops the mike..

*** MIc(rophone)

I don't see what your point is. We could have Aaron Rodgers at QB. When your best WR is a gadget player that has to rely on gimmick plays to make anything happen on offense, you're not playing winning football. Defenses are gonna load up on Gurley and dare the QB to make a play. 2 yard passes aren't gonna cut it. I want Goff to succeed. But he's hamstrung by this inept and outdated system being run

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ya'll need to relax. It's freaking preseason and accept the fact our number 1 pick is going to redshirt this year. It will be the best thing for him. Chilllllllllll duuuuuuude. Quit coming to such harsh conclusions on a game that guarantees nothing

That's going a little far for me to accept.

Rynie

Cowboys rudeboy.
Name
Rynie
C'mon guys... Some of you I'm know have been NFL fans for decades.

Really? panic, and conclusions after preseason games.

I'm not saying what I think Goff will be or not be.

But the earnestness and surety of these comments are... bizarre.
I'm not panicking. We got the best QB and the best RB in this draft, and we didn't give up any picks.
:mrburnsevil:

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
*** MIc(rophone)

I don't see what your point is. We could have Aaron Rodgers at QB. When your best WR is a gadget player that has to rely on gimmick plays to make anything happen on offense, you're not playing winning football. Defenses are gonna load up on Gurley and dare the QB to make a play. 2 yard passes aren't gonna cut it. I want Goff to succeed. But he's hamstrung by this inept and outdated system being run

So bad QB play doesn't matter? Nick Foles was an NFL mirage that threw picks that lost us games. We could have won a couple of games more last year if Keenum had started earlier, no matter who was at WR.

*drops the MIKE (I spell the way I want to, thank you very much)

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
There are some things in the verse working against him, but then again, some of the greatest QB's of all time have had some crazy rookie moments. Some of the crazy stuff isn't his fault, some of the stuff is new to him, and totally corectable, and some just seems to be part of the Rams curse...don't know how, or when it started, but I believe in it. I also believe that it is time for it to end. Keenum is the current starter, and deserves it. Goff is our future, and at times, looked both comfortable, and genius.

He threw the ball well today, better than any other times, so he has made an adjustment...his spirals were tight. His throw to Marquez was a thing of beauty...a perfect throw, if you will. More will come. He has taken his lumps, and had some really unfortunate things happen, but I like his mental makeup. He will be OK. The learning curve for him, ie; not even in high school to ever huddle in a game, or call plays is huge.

Once the mental stuff plays out, the physical, and instinctual aspects of his game will be special. We have to help him out though. We have to make catches for him. We have to run the ball, when he is out there, and we have to protect him, until he learns how to protect himself. The tools are there, the mentality is there, and Case can steer the ship, until his young shipmate is ready.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
It is too soon to call him a bust. He plays the toughest, most complicated position in sports and like most college QBs nowadays, he was brought up on the spread. He has a lot to learn. It is going to take time.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
It is too soon to call him a bust. He plays the toughest, most complicated position in sports and like most college QBs nowadays, he was brought up on the spread. He has a lot to learn. It is going to take time.

Yup, I don't see Wentz or Lynch starting their seasons either. I'll stick with Goff, thank you.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I don't think Goff is nearly as far off, as people are making it. Not nearly. Crazy shit has happened, and we haven't supported him, but he can play. Has a ways to go, but he can play.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I don't think Goff is nearly as far off, as people are making it. Not nearly. Crazy crap has happened, and we haven't supported him, but he can play. Has a ways to go, but he can play.

Amen, my friend. There are other players, aside from the guys in the OP, that I could show who struggled in the preseason but played well as rookies. The preseason doesn't really tell you that much. I'll be shocked if Goff isn't starting by the 5th game.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Amen, my friend. There are other players, aside from the guys in the OP, that I could show who struggled in the preseason but played well as rookies. The preseason doesn't really tell you that much. I'll be shocked if Goff isn't starting by the 5th game.
That sounds about right to me, and this is in no way disparaging Keenum, or Mannion, but when you see ball placement, and the throws he makes, his check-down is a check-down, the other guys check-down, is a check-up.

Plus, I already know that Goff can have shit things happen to him, and in the last 2 minutes he can shake them off, and play a new ball game. Only thing that pissed me off today was the dropped snap.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Bottom line here is Fish is a coach in year 5. He wants to win this season. In retrospect I should never have expected the kid to start, because Fish and Snead love Case and who knows, maybe they're right. Case knows the offense cold, and if he's that guy they think can lead their roster there's no way a rook is going to come in and take the job from him. Just like what we saw with the Packers and Favre at the helm when they brought in Rogers... There is a definite correlation there IMO.

I just keep going back to that Dallas game. Fish shoulda kept the kid in there, since that was the only non-top-5 defense they would face in preseason. But other than that it's hard to criticize him for his approach, because I understand he wants to win and Case does look pretty damn good in the Boras/Groh offense. He might be capable of getting it done, and that's gonna be my hope.

Since I'm a Rams fan first I'm just gonna root my ass off for Case and hope he can be consistent enough to counter defenses as they build a book on him. Then worry about Goff later. Give the kid a break, IMO. The arm talent is there, and once he has a grasp that allows him to anticipate defenses it will be game over. So not going to let the "sky is falling" type stuff ruin my enjoyment of a team I am so excited about this season.

Get out there and crush the Niners. One game at a time.
download (18).jpg

Fellas, i'm concerned too but it's still early for Goff. Like....REALLY early.
The game is much slower for Mannion than it is for Goff right now. You can see it. It makes sense too.
I see Goff flashing both ways in preseason. Makes a WOW throw, then makes a WOW mistake. Overall i believe he's just uncomfortable trying to manage everything in a pro style offense. There's no "instinctual" actions available to him right now if that makes sense. It's like a great self taught guitar player suddenly having to go to guitar class and learn theory, and how to read music.