For those currently undecided about Boras' first three weeks...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

FRO

Legend
I would definitely like to see us pick up a serious #1 receiver this season. While I don't buy into the idea that we have the worst receivers and QB, I think it is one of the pieces I would like to see a real upgrade on. Unfortunately, it is very difficult to gauge. I have seen many receivers get open only to watch Foles completely miss them, pass them covered by throwing too late, or put the ball where the receiver might be able to get his hands on it but hardly in a position to catch and run or even catch it. People keep saying the Seattle game was a good game for him but I'm sorry, a good game would have resulted in a blow out and that Kendricks TD doesn't happen if the defender doesn't fall down. At first I thought he threw that ball safely when he saw that the defender had fallen. But when you watch the replay, he threw it before the defender fell down. If he stays on his feet, that is probably an INT.

All the Foles criticism aside, I have seen the career journeyman tag thrown at Keenum. Seriously? The guy comes in behind Matt Schaub having a ProBowl season his rookie year. Yeah - as if he is going to see the field. Then the following year, Houston is simply an atrocious team. Keenum comes in and plays about as good as Schaub minus the double digit INT rate. He doesn't play great in his first starts but puts up far better numbers than Wilson did in his first 8 starts with no Arian Foster and a pretty bad O-line.. The following year, a new coach brings in Fitzpatrick and Keenum finally sees the field at the end of the season and goes 2-0. Up until his few games with the Rams, he has not really had any kind of career to speak of. I suppose by those standards Aaron Rodgers was a career back-up. I'm not comparing Keenum to any great QBs but I also don't see where he deserves to be dismissed based on his short career so far.

I would like to see us upgrade the QB position as well as many here. But I'm not ready to say Keenum can't be a decent starter and I also am hoping to see my boy Mannion step up. If neither of them are good enough, I hope we can grab that upgrade in the draft or pull in a FA until we can address it. But I think we may want to be a little more open to watching what Keenum is able to do while our O-line finds its way and learns how to maintain its blocking assignments.

Boras has called a decent game of late but thinking he was going to open things up with a new QB trying to get on the same page with his receivers, and wet behind the ears O-line is just not logical. In fact, I would guess that if we tried that, it would look like a total mess and we likely would not be on a 3 game winning streak heading into SF.

So while we have put up meager passing yards since Boras has taken over, I don't see that as an indication that this offense is not capable of more as it learns to play together.
You will have a hard time finding a team in the league that has worse receiver production than we have. Look up and down the league. Other teams have had bad QB play too.

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
And you think after 4 games at QB for Keenum and Boras, you have seen their ceiling. Yeah - they can't possibly improve on that. They've shown everything they can do and will only be capable of 125 yards per game passing. So how many of those playoff teams are putting up big numbers with an OC entering his sixth game and a QB entering basically his fifth? Those numbers haven't backed up anything IMO - especially if you are going to cherry pick out the stats from their best game.

with so little experience boras and keenum could get a lot better. on the other hand once there is film on them other teams might find weaknesses like they did with Austin davis. I hope they have a plan b

FRO

Legend
with so little experience boras and keenum could get a lot better. on the other hand once there is film on them other teams might find weaknesses like they did with Austin davis. I hope they have a plan b
I hope Keenum and Boras aren't plan A. If they are the fall back plan, then ok. If they are the primary plan, welcome to 7-9/8-8 all over again. Until this offense is league average, we will not win, and until this passing game develops to something that isn't the worst in the league our offense won't be league average. Gurley is good, but you mortgage his future by running him into the ground. To prolong his career and greatness we need to add players around him.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Because outside of that game he hasn't been a good QB. Was using stats to show that.

Are you seriously trying to sell us on Keenum being the starter from here on out? He is Shaun Hill. A nice backup that can keep the ship afloat, but that's about it.
I am seriously saying that using raw stats is a flawed way of evaluating his or anyone's else's performance.

And I absolutely disagree with your comment about "outside of that game he hasn't been a good QB". He's made plays that Foles left of the field.

He's done exactly what they've asked of him and has done it well enough to win 3 of the 4 starts. And had an 11 point 4th quarter lead that was squandered in the loss.

But go ahead and keep judging him by his stats. Maybe not use him in your fantasy league. But I'll take 4-1 (after tomorrow).

Do I think he is the long term answer? No. And I've never said that. In fact, if you've read any of my other posts on that topic, I have said repeatedly that I think Mannion gets every chance to step into that role next year.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
You will have a hard time finding a team in the league that has worse receiver production than we have. Look up and down the league. Other teams have had bad QB play too.
Once again, your confusing "production" with ability. This system has a whole lot more to do with the lack of production than the players themselves do when it comes to the receivers.

You could put a healthy Dez Bryant on THIS team in THIS system and he'd be hard pressed to have 50 receptions.

It's got nothing to do with the talent, and everything to do with opportunity.

Last edited:

Memphis Ram

Legend
I went to almost every game last year. Foles sucked. You won't get any disagreement from me. Keenum, Davis, Hill weren't the answer as starters. It is possible to have bad QB play and bad WR play. Hopkins is having no issues in Houston. TY Hilton is putting up numbers with Hasslebeck at QB. Benjamin is putting up numbers in Cleveland. Kenny Britt is who he is at 7 years in the NFL. Same with Cook. Maybe Austin is being held back, I'm not so sure. We don't know what we have in Marquez. Quick is who he is year 4 in the league. Kendricks same thing. Not one guy I mentioned have shown they can be more than nice role players. We need to improve both the QB position and the WR position.

Houston 333 completions on 578 passing attempts
Cleveland 347 completions on 563 passing attempts
Indianapolis 334 completion on 581 passing attempts

St. Louis 251 completions on 435 passing attempts (Dead last in NFL)

You've got to see how opportunity influences individual numbers.

BTW, Hasslebeck may be older, but he's been a good NFL QB.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
Once again, your confusing "production" with ability. This system has a whole lot more to do with the lack of production than the players themselves do when it comes to the receivers.

You could put a healthy Dez Bryant on THIS team in THIS system and he'd be hard pressed to have 50 receptions.

These kind of things make me really wonder what Kenny Britt would look like in a real offense.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Wussell. I'm only talking stats because that seems to be how people are gauging QB play in this thread. Keenum threw for 340 in his very first start and had better stats through his first 8 games. Wilson didn't even break a buck forty until his fourth game The shecocks won some of those games on the back of a strong rushing game and the Texans couldn't get out of their own way in Keenum's first 8 games. That Houston team lost 6 in a row before he got the starts and had an atrocious running game.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Foles bad? Nah.
Except that they are really not running some new offense. There are minor differences between the Boras offense and the Cigs offense. Keenum is playing better than Foles and the offense has been tightened up a bit. We are actually running fewer of the gadget plays with Boras as well. So what is to figure out? If anything Boras has simplified things and will be adding more next season.

I'm not saying I wouldn't like an upgrade over Keenum/Mannion. I don't know what Mannion offers at this level. None of us do.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
Why would you take out the Tampa game unless you're trying to exaggerate an agenda?

Stats are just numbers and unless they put into context are meaningless.

As many have pointed out the ONLY "stat" that should matter is 3-1 and it should be 4-1 after tomorrow.

I was going to make the point that for a long time the fans just wanted to win...Now, it seems, that's not enough...The team must now win a certain way and with certain measurable standards met...Sometimes I just don't get it...Some upgrades are needed, but I ask myself if nothing changed would this team be better next year than this...I say YES, for sure...

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
One thing I'm extremely concerned with and will continue to be bothered by is the offense's ability to score when it counts. We lost EVERY GAME where we trailed at halftime. And we lost a couple where we had the lead at half (OT vs Vikings, Baltimore). Boras hasn't had his back against the wall yet, so there is that, but whether you'd like to chalk it up to playcalling or execution or talent - it's pretty damn scary.

Not all doom and gloom though. I was surprised to learn the offense has taken advantage of opportunities this year. 73 points off of 26 takeaways (I think) not sure if that accounts for Pick 6 or fumble returns though. There have been some instances where they left points on the field, Green Bay comes to mind. But that's on par with Carolina's number. They have 127 points off 35 turnovers. So we're doing pretty well in that aspect.
I was impressed with the offense responding in the Seattle game and driving for Gurley's TD. The two fumbles were heart attacks but they fought through those and put it in the end zone. That was a great sign to me that they are moving forward in these situations.

FRO

Legend
I am seriously saying that using raw stats is a flawed way of evaluating his or anyone's else's performance.

And I absolutely disagree with your comment about "outside of that game he hasn't been a good QB". He's made plays that Foles left of the field.

He's done exactly what they've asked of him and has done it well enough to win 3 of the 4 starts. And had an 11 point 4th quarter lead that was squandered in the loss.

But go ahead and keep judging him by his stats. Maybe not use him in your fantasy league. But I'll take 4-1 (after tomorrow).

Do I think he is the long term answer? No. And I've never said that. In fact, if you've read any of my other posts on that topic, I have said repeatedly that I think Mannion gets every chance to step into that role next year.
I'm using stats to prove my point on what I've seen on the field. He was horrible in the Baltimore game and he wasn't good in the Detroit game. He was great against the Buccaneers (if you take the drive out before halftime I would say he was flawless) and he played solid against the Seahawks. I just want more out of the passing game than just please don't screw it up. I believe our receivers and our QB this year aren't good enough. I believe they must be improved upon. I would like a new coordinator as well, but I'm not sure we will have many options, like last year. I think Keenum has proven himself to be a nice backup. I am also scared of throwing Mannion the keys to the car. He hasn't played a meaningful down in the league and his preseason wasn't the greatest. I like his physical tools, but Foles had nice physical tools and he sucked at QB. We need to improve the pass game to make the playoffs next year.

FRO

Legend

Well if you can't make your ability productive, then what good are you? A healthy Dez Bryant would produce everywhere, unless you ran a triple option offense.

Kenny Britt is who he is. He looks the part, but he doesn't consistently play the part. He has been this way since Tennessee.

Jared Cook should be in the top tier of receiving TEs due to his natural ability. He lacks focus. He is the same guy Tennessee fans said he was when we signed him. He will have one or two really good games a year, then be an enigma the rest of the year.

Brian Quick, either last year was a flash in the pan or his shoulder injury messed him up physically or mentally. He hasn't factored in at all this year.

Tavon Ausin is a truly dynamic playmaker. He may improve with better QB play. He may not. That's one I want to see. It does concern me that a majority of his catches happen near the line of scrimmage. He is a good weapon, but hasn't shown he is a good receiver.

Bradley Marquez is the one I'm most intrigued with and I wish they would have gave him more playing time. I like what I see there.

Wes Welker. I like what I've seen there too. He is rarely on the field though. I miss good slot receiver play and wish they would use Welker more.

I just don't see an average receiver group if you compare them with the other 31 teams. Baltimore and San Francisco also have bad groups. We have to get better in the passing game and our receivers have to be improved upon.

FRO

Legend
Houston 333 completions on 578 passing attempts
Cleveland 347 completions on 563 passing attempts
Indianapolis 334 completion on 581 passing attempts

St. Louis 251 completions on 435 passing attempts (Dead last in NFL)

You've got to see how opportunity influences individual numbers.

BTW, Hasslebeck may be older, but he's been a good NFL QB.
I get your point and I understand. It does effect raw numbers. I still do not think we are good enough at WR. Kenny Britt and Jared Cook are having their typical years (less catches due to less attempts). Tavon Austin is having his typical year in the pass game as well. He leads the team with 47 catches, but must of his catches are close to the line. We need to unleash him down the field, but he may not be capable of that. Quick is a total non factor this year. I just don't see a good group out there. I see nice players, but every team has nice players.

FRO

Legend
I was going to make the point that for a long time the fans just wanted to win...Now, it seems, that's not enough...The team must now win a certain way and with certain measurable standards met...Sometimes I just don't get it...Some upgrades are needed, but I ask myself if nothing changed would this team be better next year than this...I say YES, for sure...
That's simply unfair. I want to win too, but I do not believe handing the keys over to Keenum and Boras will lead to long term winning. You remember how people were last year at the beginning of the Davis run, well I feel this is similar and I feel the numbers bear that out. You will have a hard time winning over a 16 game season when you are throwing for less than 200 yards. In order to win with that Gurley has to be on and your defense has to come up with big turnovers. To me that's a tough way to win 10 games in a year. Keenum did great in the Tampa Bay game. Outside of that game we needed big games from Gurley and defensive TDs to win. I just don't see that as a sustainable formula. I've been happy with the wins, I just want to see the playoffs next year. Every other facet of our team is playoff caiber, except our passing game. We have got to improve on it.

Q729

Legend
But will our defense still be at this level after the FA storm? Hope they know what they're doing with that. I'll miss not worrying about them on that side of the ball. It's kind of the same feeling I had when the GSOT stepped on the field.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Well if you can't make your ability productive, then what good are you? A healthy Dez Bryant would produce everywhere, unless you ran a triple option offense.

Kenny Britt is who he is. He looks the part, but he doesn't consistently play the part. He has been this way since Tennessee.

Jared Cook should be in the top tier of receiving TEs due to his natural ability. He lacks focus. He is the same guy Tennessee fans said he was when we signed him. He will have one or two really good games a year, then be an enigma the rest of the year.

Brian Quick, either last year was a flash in the pan or his shoulder injury messed him up physically or mentally. He hasn't factored in at all this year.

Tavon Ausin is a truly dynamic playmaker. He may improve with better QB play. He may not. That's one I want to see. It does concern me that a majority of his catches happen near the line of scrimmage. He is a good weapon, but hasn't shown he is a good receiver.

Bradley Marquez is the one I'm most intrigued with and I wish they would have gave him more playing time. I like what I see there.

Wes Welker. I like what I've seen there too. He is rarely on the field though. I miss good slot receiver play and wish they would use Welker more.

I just don't see an average receiver group if you compare them with the other 31 teams. Baltimore and San Francisco also have bad groups. We have to get better in the passing game and our receivers have to be improved upon.

And what has Wes Welker done as a Ram that could even possibly be something to like?

Could it be you are once again basing your "like" for him off of his previous STATS? Your detailed evaluation of the rest of the receivers are all based on PAST history. Which only proves my point. Welker has done less than Quick while in THIS offense but you single him out as a positive? You seem to very shortsighted and rely on what's on a stat sheet a whole lot more than what is actually going on in the "big picture" of where this team is right now.

No one is disagreeing with you about the passing game needing to be better. I just disagree with you about the reasons why it's been what it's been this year. And I believe that even without a major overhaul the pieces are in place to show that improvement.

You seem to want to say "needing a big game out of Gurley and the defense" is a formula for disaster. Rather than a good use of the strengths of this team.

You sound like someone who thinks that style points are more important than wins. It's not enough that they have won three in a row, but it's not good enough now because they didn't do it the way YOU think they should.

You seem to think that Keenum (and Boras) are incapable of putting up satisfactory stats because the they haven't HAD TO in the past month while WINNING.

Last edited:

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Kenny Britt

Jared Cook
Brian Quick

Tavon Ausin
Bradley Marquez
Wes Welker.
Every single one would look better with better QB play....Why has Britt & Cook & Kendricks looked so good the last 4 weeks?

every team has nice players.
Yes, except at the QB position....almost every team has decent linemen, backs, dbs, lbs, wrs.....but about 12-15 teams have good QB's

FRO

Legend
And what has Wes Welker done as a Ram that could even possibly be something to like?

Could it be you are once again basing your "like" for him off of his previous STATS? Your detailed evaluation of the rest of the receivers are all based on PAST history. Which only proves my point. Welker has done less than Quick while in THIS offense but you single him out as a positive? You seem to very shortsighted and rely on what's on a stat sheet a whole lot more than what is actually going on in the "big picture" of where this team is right now.

No one is disagreeing with you about the passing game needing to be better. I just disagree with you about the reasons why it's been what it's been this year. And I believe that even without a major overhaul the pieces are in place to show that improvement.

You seem to want to say "needing a big game out of Gurley and the defense" is a formula for disaster. Rather than a good use of the strengths of this team.

You sound like someone who thinks that style points are more important than wins. It's not enough that they have won three in a row, but it's not good enough now because they didn't do it the way YOU think they should.

You seem to think that Keenum (and Boras) are incapable of putting up satisfactory stats because the they haven't HAD TO in the past month while WINNING.
Say whatever you want about me. I don't care. I don't care about style points at all. Not one bit. I want a balanced offense. In order to do that we have to pass the ball better. To place the blame solely on Foles is unfair. And yes depending on Gurley to be lights out game after game is a risky play. Our receivers and QB haven't been good this year. That's the reason we are 7-8.

FRO

Legend
I guess I'm on an island thinking our receivers aren't good enough. I guess we are all entitled to our opinion. I just want to see this team win next year and feel that our passing game is the reason we have sucked the last few years. I don't think it's just the QB. Foles was bad. I totally agree, but I just don't see these receivers making plays either.