For those currently undecided about Boras' first three weeks...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I think both of those squads consistently scored 21 or more points a game too though. If we can do that consistently ill be quiet
And with improved execution there is no reason THIS offense can't do just that.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
My comment about the McDaniel experiment was more to reference the failed attempt brought on by desperation and not an indictment of McDaniels specifically.

This team just isn't set up to have a balls to the wall wide open offense. No matter who they bring in the as the coordinator. And my point is, there are a lot of people who seem to think that anything less than that would be a failure.

Like it or not, Fisher's "philosophy" can work. They just need better execution from top to bottom. They've improved the execution over the last month and we've seen the results in W-L column. Is it pretty? Nope.

But no one was complaining about the exact same style of play in Seattle the past two years. Or SF before that.

You misunderstand me, Coach. I wasn't meaning to take any one person to task and if you took it that way, I sincerely apologize.

I just wanted to add in some context and information about McDaniels and the P-E offense which it seems a lot of folks just don't understand and so I see a lot of posts about both McDaniels and/or the P-E offense or even switching to a "vertical offense" and we both know it's not as simple as all that. Other than maybe the West Coast, ANY of the Coryell or P-E variants can go "vertical" or have significant vertical components with or without a power running component.

So, I really wasn't taking you, personally, to task at all. Rather, I was trying to slow the thread down and clear up that just asking for "vertical" aspects or things like that doesn't inherently mean anything because a good OC can do that in ANY system.

I have a saying... short questions, long answers. Unfortunately, it's easy for a lot of folks to think short questions inherently have short answers and that's not always true. Such is the case with offensive variants in the NFL. This stuff can get pretty involved in a hurry as I'm sure you know and just asking for more "vertical" without specific context is like asking an economist to create more jobs.

If it were as easy as us asking for it on a forum, they'd have a promotion, "Win a chance to be OC for a week!" Promotion around the NFL. There are plenty of us who already think we could do it...LOL.

SaneRamsFan

Rookie
My comment about the McDaniel experiment was more to reference the failed attempt brought on by desperation and not an indictment of McDaniels specifically.

This team just isn't set up to have a balls to the wall wide open offense. No matter who they bring in the as the coordinator. And my point is, there are a lot of people who seem to think that anything less than that would be a failure.

Like it or not, Fisher's "philosophy" can work. They just need better execution from top to bottom. They've improved the execution over the last month and we've seen the results in W-L column. Is it pretty? Nope.

But no one was complaining about the exact same style of play in Seattle the past two years. Or SF before that.

My view is the same. Watch NE. Their gameplanss are neever that complicated. They don't run many difffetent plays. They execute the onees they do run. And they mix it up week to week. For whatever reason this offensse is executing undder Boras.othing else has changed.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I don't think Boras returns as OC. Just a gut feeling. Nothing more.
Like many have said, the difference since Boras took over is clearly the execution and deliberateness of the movement pre-snap. I noticed it right away. Things look "tighter."

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
And with improved execution there is no reason THIS offense can't do just that.
But on whom do we improve the execution?
upload_2015-12-31_15-58-58.png

I think we've seen moderate improvement in execution and it has resulted in a fairly substantial difference. I was not all that wowed by improvements against the likes of Detroit and Tampa but having it follow through against the shehawks was encouraging. Give the offense a little time to further work out the wrinkles including blocking assignments and line calls and I can see this offense being the type that consumes clock while putting up a decent amount of points.

Keeping the defense fresh and scoring on long drives is a recipe that wins in big games IMO. It is not the only way to win but it has been successful for a lot of teams. Add in the fact that we have pig play potential with TA and Gurley and this offense is no where near in as bad of shape as some believe.

Now finish off strong against Frisco that even while playing poorly at times has shown themselves to be dangerous in games they should have lost. If we can do that, we will be heading in the right direction and will be poised for continuing it in '16.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
Here's what bothers me about Boras, he was available and he got beat out by Cignetti which to me says this is more an aberration than what he has to offer week in week out. Not his fault but I have zero faith in Fish and his ability to help with the offense.
He needs to get a GW type for the offense and let whoever that is do their damn job.

True that he got beat out by Cignetti, or maybe Fisher just made the wrong choice.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
I think the people who are clamorimg for Fisher to hire an "offensive guru" should flash back to Spagnuolo's desperation move and remember how the Josh McDaniel experiment panned out. A DEFENSE FIRST Head Coach turned the offense over to someone who was not ever going to fit his system to the personnel.

IMO this is exactly where the Rams are now. To think they will ever be a dynamic "video game-like" offense is wishful thinking at best and actually kind of waste of time.

And I believe counter productive.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I think both of those squads consistently scored 21 or more points a game too though. If we can do that consistently ill be quiet
Three games in a row, check, check, and check. Let's hope they continue to shut your ass up. :D I keed I keed.

Seriously though - I agree. If we are continuing with the occasional 30 point games surrounded by being shut down in several games, I think we'll all be pissed and pretty vocal about it. Let's hope we simply continue to see improvement. I'm one who has preached stability but not if yet again, we see the same results. I think the product on the field has improved each year even though our record last year didn't show it. I don't really see a huge difference though between 6-10, 7-9, 8-8, 9-7. To me, a winning season is not much of a consolation from 7-9 if you are not heading into the post season.

Fisher has built a pretty good team that can contend. I think we are building it in a sustainable fashion too. I'm thinking with a couple breaks - mainly at QB - we are in good position to be perennial contenders. That said, '16 really needs to see Fisher getting us into the playoffs.

WestCoastRam

Legend
I don't think Boras returns as OC. Just a gut feeling. Nothing more.
Like many have said, the difference since Boras took over is clearly the execution and deliberateness of the movement pre-snap. I noticed it right away. Things look "tighter."

Mojo,

Can you say more about the pre-snap movement? I haven't been able to watch many of these late season games and haven't gotten a chance to see the how's Boras's execution looks different.

Additionally, I do think that if we have good execution against the 9ers this week, we might be stuck with Boras. I'm not overly enthused with that idea. Although, we'll have the exact same problem we had last year attracting a O coordinator: lack of clarity about franchise. Last year it was the move, this year we'll know where the franchise will be but Fisher will be on a one-year leash.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
If it were as easy as us asking for it on a forum, they'd have a promotion, "Win a chance to be OC for a week!" Promotion around the NFL. There are plenty of us who already think we could do it
ME

Can you say more about the pre-snap movement?
What I've noticed, we still have multiple shifts and stuff, but everyone knows what they're doing. checking with the line judge...always aware of the clock...the silent count snap this weekend worked beautifully...more organized...Keenum and Barnes (Reynolds too) work well together.

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
I think the people who are clamorimg for Fisher to hire an "offensive guru" should flash back to Spagnuolo's desperation move and remember how the Josh McDaniel experiment panned out. A DEFENSE FIRST Head Coach turned the offense over to someone who was not ever going to fit his system to the personnel.

IMO this is exactly where the Rams are now. To think they will ever be a dynamic "video game-like" offense is wishful thinking at best and actually kind of waste of time.

Yes it is Coach, but I also think most folks are just looking for a team that can compete. It doesn't require Hall of Famers, but a little consistency would be nice, along with a descent O line and a competent QB to lead them. Depending upon a defense to compensate for a defective, ever changing offense is a fools game, IMO, especially these days when the rules favor the passing game.

We all know their deficiencies and so does Fisher...it just always seems to be about waiting until the next year.......and the next....

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Yes it is Coach, but I also think most folks are just looking for a team that can compete. It doesn't require Hall of Famers, but a little consistency would be nice, along with a descent O line and a competent QB to lead them. Depending upon a defense to compensate for a defective, ever changing offense is a fools game, IMO, especially these days when the rules favor the passing game.

We all know their deficiencies and so does Fisher...it just always seems to be about waiting until the next year.......and the next....
So I guess from your comments you discount the impact that the inordinate number of injuries to the OLINE the past 3 years has had with regards to building a decent unit. Or for that matter the injuries to both the starting QB and backup (Bradford and Hill) last year?

Say what you want about Shawn Hill, as a BACKUP, he was an upgrade over Clemens and if he would not have gotten hurt himself should and would have been a better "plan" last year.

I realize that some look at these as excuses. That somehow an organization needs to plan for this and somehow overcome. But as I mentioned....: ask Jerry Jones how that works out.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
Maybe we'll get a pretty good idea about what Boras has after this week, if Gurley doesn't play...This offense is still not much without at least the threat of Gurley in there...If he gets something going without that threat then I think some of the acrimony about him might ease up...I'm not real sure what he's done wrong to say that the Rams might be "stuck with him" if he brings home a win Sunday...Sometimes I just don't really understand what folks are looking for...

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Mojo,

Can you say more about the pre-snap movement? I haven't been able to watch many of these late season games and haven't gotten a chance to see the how's Boras's execution looks different.

Additionally, I do think that if we have good execution against the 9ers this week, we might be stuck with Boras. I'm not overly enthused with that idea. Although, we'll have the exact same problem we had last year attracting a O coordinator: lack of clarity about franchise. Last year it was the move, this year we'll know where the franchise will be but Fisher will be on a one-year leash.
Read LAChamps reply. That helps put it into words. It's a subtle change but it's there. Players look more confident too.

TexasRam

Legend
The improvement over the last few weeks has little to do with Boras. It has a lot to do with:

1 Havenstein
2 Wichmann
3 Keenum

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
The play calling has been better, not as predictable.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
The improvement has everything to do with Boras and Keenum IMO. This is the first game that the offense didn't have a penalty. They weren't ever close before. Keenum's better ability to read a defense and better coaching,leads to better execution.

I think Boras is here to stay for a while. Fisher couldn't find any outside parties interested in being his OC with two years left on his contract. How is he going to find someone interested with one year left?

I am fine with Boras if the offense improves even more under against San Francisco. I like it better if Martz was hired as an advisor to teach Boras the finer points of a passing offense and calling play's according to what an opposing defense is giving you.