For those currently undecided about Boras' first three weeks...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan

Let's consider the Patriots overall philosophy of offense. Players like Edleman, Gronk, Amendola, and Welker all generally run short to mid routes. Rarely have they relied on a Moss type receiver to stretch the field. Brady is actually below average on passes beyond 30 yards for his career. Yet they are efficient.

That's why I prefer to retain Boras. Deep passes are great off play action but a steady diet of them requires GSOT or Packer type QB and receivers. Since this team is built to run (w a special Gurley), I want consistency and execution you don't get without long term continuity. The main reason for the recently relative success to me is some consistency on the OLine. Tough to open things up when you use different line combinations twice per game due to injury.

We all knew the line would take time to develop which is why I scaled back my expectations. Havenstein, Brown, and Wichmann have exceeded my expectations and I haven't given up on Robinson yet.

Boras' attention to detail and improved execution is what I want going forward. But he needs to be paired with a more creative mind to maximize his skill as an OC. I don't know who that would be.

FRO

Legend
I think the people who are clamorimg for Fisher to hire an "offensive guru" should flash back to Spagnuolo's desperation move and remember how the Josh McDaniel experiment panned out. A DEFENSE FIRST Head Coach turned the offense over to someone who was not ever going to fit his system to the personnel.

IMO this is exactly where the Rams are now. To think they will ever be a dynamic "video game-like" offense is wishful thinking at best and actually kind of waste of time.
Don't think they need to hire a Martz type of air it out, but I do believe they need to hire someone with experience running offense. If Mike McCoy gets fired by San Diego he would be my first choice. He developed a winning offense with Tebow at QB. He won with Manning, as did every other OC. He also was able to re establish Rivers. If McCoy is retained or goes to a team with offensive talent there will be other solid candidates. I'm just not sold on going in house when there hasn't been much success with anything on this offense. I think we need a fresh voice along with new talent.

FRO

Legend
And with improved execution there is no reason THIS offense can't do just that.
I'm not sure the guys on the roster are capable of execution mainly at the QB and WR/TE positions. We have nobody on offense that has broken the 60 catch/800 yard mark in their careers. I'm not sure anybody is going to magically develop into that guy. Foles was clearly a one year wonder in 2013 and Keenum has been a career journeyman. He had a great support in Houston, so to expect him to all the sudden be a quality starter is foolish. In 3 of his 4 starts he failed to reach the 200 yard mark. He is a backup at best. To execute better we need to play better up front (the line needs more experience and maturity), better QB play (I don't know how we fix that in one offseason) and WR/TE play. We need much better offensive talent. So yeah not only do we need a better play caller, we need better players.

FRO

Legend
I think we need to hire an OC who will have personnel sway over Fisher. I don't think Fisher has a great eye for offensive talent on any position outside of RB. We don't need someone in here that is Fisher's puppet. We need someone who can carry out Fisher's vision of the offense. Fisher ball can win, but not with poor offensive talent.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I'm not sure the guys on the roster are capable of execution mainly at the QB and WR/TE positions. We have nobody on offense that has broken the 60 catch/800 yard mark in their careers. I'm not sure anybody is going to magically develop into that guy. Foles was clearly a one year wonder in 2013 and Keenum has been a career journeyman. He had a great support in Houston, so to expect him to all the sudden be a quality starter is foolish. In 3 of his 4 starts he failed to reach the 200 yard mark. He is a backup at best. To execute better we need to play better up front (the line needs more experience and maturity), better QB play (I don't know how we fix that in one offseason) and WR/TE play. We need much better offensive talent. So yeah not only do we need a better play caller, we need better players.
So I guess you subscribe to the theory that players never improve on their past STATS.

I tend to think there is plenty of talent on this roster that has not fulfilled its potential for a variety of reasons.

But make no mistake. Gauging players from a stat sheet is not how I ever evaluate a players ability. Or that players potential to develop. There are a 1000 reasons why.

For example the cliche one hears constantly about the Rams receivers show they are incapable of creating separation. But yet when they finally have a QB who understands that getting the ball to them "on time" exemplifies just the opposite. And it's not a coincidence to me that they don't drop passes when the ball is actually thrown where and when they're open.

Athos

Legend
He had a great support in Houston, so to expect him to all the sudden be a quality starter is foolish. In 3 of his 4 starts he failed to reach the 200 yard mark.

Hell, Hill was able to do that last year without the benefit of a better O-line, the emergence of Tavon, and the presence of Gurley taking pressure away. Davis too. If Keenum was all that he should be able to get over 125 yards/game.

League average this year is about 236 yards/game.

Keenum's career average is 186. Simply not sustainable winning formula.

Here are the playoff teams this year as of today:

NE - 310/game
DEN - 245/game
CIN - 252/game
HOU - 239/game
KC - 207/game
ARZ - 294/game
CAR - 222/game
NYJ - 259/game
WAS - 254/game
MIN - 189/game
SEA - 239/game
GB - 215/game

Only one team makes it with less than 200. MIN. GB is an aberration being that low. CAR almost is as well without their top WR. And KC is KC.

4 of the teams are below league average. GB just throw out right now. Won't happen again. That leaves 3. Yea, you can get into the playoffs with a trash passing game, but those spots are limited. And KC still scores 25 a game. Hell HOU and DEN are the only ones not scoring at least 23/game.

We aren't scoring that on the basis of a run game alone. Need a competent passing game that's consistent to win consistently. Not this garbage 125/game nonsense. I just don't think Keenum can suddenly vault us from league worst in nearly every statistical passing and scoring stat in the game next year.

Just not recipes for success. The only way we improve by a TD a game next year is the passing attack. And that begins with the QB. Pass-catchers would help, but Newton has been working with Olsen and garbage all year long and they're scoring 30/game.

FRO

Legend
So I guess you subscribe to the theory that players never improve on their past STATS.

I tend to think there is plenty of talent on this roster that has not fulfilled its potential for a variety of reasons.

But make no mistake. Gauging players from a stat sheet is not how I ever evaluate a players ability. Or that players potential to develop. There are a 1000 reasons why.

For example the cliche one hears constantly about the Rams receivers show they are incapable of creating separation. But yet when they finally have a QB who understands that getting the ball to them "on time" exemplifies just the opposite. And it's not a coincidence to me that they don't drop passes when the ball is actually thrown where and when they're open.
Give me an example of who isn't living to their potential. We can blame bad QB play, and it does have a legitimate effect, but good receivers have overcome bad QB play before. I think we are falling in the same trap of last year where we believe if we improve one position everything will just fall in line. Our receivers are below league average and may be one of the worst groups in the league.

FRO

Legend
Hell, Hill was able to do that last year without the benefit of a better O-line, the emergence of Tavon, and the presence of Gurley taking pressure away. Davis too. If Keenum was all that he should be able to get over 125 yards/game.

League average this year is about 236 yards/game.

Keenum's career average is 186. Simply not sustainable winning formula.

Here are the playoff teams this year as of today:

NE - 310/game
DEN - 245/game
CIN - 252/game
HOU - 239/game
KC - 207/game
ARZ - 294/game
CAR - 222/game
NYJ - 259/game
WAS - 254/game
MIN - 189/game
SEA - 239/game
GB - 215/game

Only one team makes it with less than 200. MIN. GB is an aberration being that low. CAR almost is as well without their top WR. And KC is KC.

4 of the teams are below league average. GB just throw out right now. Won't happen again. That leaves 3. Yea, you can get into the playoffs with a trash passing game, but those spots are limited. And KC still scores 25 a game. Hell HOU and DEN are the only ones not scoring at least 23/game.

We aren't scoring that on the basis of a run game alone. Need a competent passing game that's consistent to win consistently. Not this garbage 125/game nonsense. I just don't think Keenum can suddenly vault us from league worst in nearly every statistical passing and scoring stat in the game next year.

Just not recipes for success. The only way we improve by a TD a game next year is the passing attack. And that begins with the QB. Pass-catchers would help, but Newton has been working with Olsen and garbage all year long and they're scoring 30/game.
Good statistical analysis. We must improve the pass game. Our QB play and receiver play haven't been good enough.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Good statistical analysis. We must improve the pass game. Our QB play and receiver play haven't been good enough.
Apples and oranges.

How many of those game last year were the forced to throw the ball 35+ times because of the game situation? You are looking at raw stats and drawing etched in stone conclusions. It's never that simple.

With the presence of Gurley this year, the number of times they've been forced into throwing the ball that often have few and far between.

If you want to pick a stat to look at, try oassed attempted. This year vs last. But while you are looking at that, be sure to also take into account the game situations. And in terms of the receivers, the level of QB play in each year.

Everyone is so quick to look only at raw numbers in terms of yardage. But let's look at each game how and where the passing game was utilitiized. Efficiency does not always equate to big numbers. It means being productive when the situation dictates.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Give me an example of who isn't living to their potential. We can blame bad QB play, and it does have a legitimate effect, but good receivers have overcome bad QB play before. I think we are falling in the same trap of last year where we believe if we improve one position everything will just fall in line. Our receivers are below league average and may be one of the worst groups in the league.
Tell me how good receivers can overcome QB play that has been as bad as the Rams the past two years.

Do you go to the games? Or just watch them on tv? I'm not being a smart ass. I am asking a serious question.

Because if you are in the stands and watch the routes develop, you would see receivers running routes downfield, getting open and wonder what the QB is looking at. It started with Clemens, and continued right thru this year. Whether it was Quick running the dig route when Clemens was the QB, or Bailey running to soft spots in zone coverage with Davis, these guy's just didn't get the ball thrown to them.

Now take this year, and I can't even count the number of wide open receivers who Foles just either flat out missed or didn't see in the first place. Or when he did see them the ball got there so late the routine catches became contested.

But according to you, it's because the receivers are the worst in the league.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think it's fair to say that Keenum has elevated the play of the receivers during these last few games. You could make a Case that he has improved the line as well -lol. Imagine how good this offense could be if Quick or Bailey were healthy. We might be just one #1 receiver away, in my opinion. We'll learn more tomorrow.

FRO

Legend
Tell me how good receivers can overcome QB play that has been as bad as the Rams the past two years.

Do you go to the games? Or just watch them on tv? I'm not being a smart ass. I am asking a serious question.

Because if you are in the stands and watch the routes develop, you would see receivers running routes downfield, getting open and wonder what the QB is looking at. It started with Clemens, and continued right thru this year. Whether it was Quick running the dig route when Clemens was the QB, or Bailey running to soft spots in zone coverage with Davis, these guy's just didn't get the ball thrown to them.

Now take this year, and I can't even count the number of wide open receivers who Foles just either flat out missed or didn't see in the first place. Or when he did see them the ball got there so late the routine catches became contested.

But according to you, it's because the receivers are the worst in the league.
I went to almost every game last year. Foles sucked. You won't get any disagreement from me. Keenum, Davis, Hill weren't the answer as starters. It is possible to have bad QB play and bad WR play. Hopkins is having no issues in Houston. TY Hilton is putting up numbers with Hasslebeck at QB. Benjamin is putting up numbers in Cleveland. Kenny Britt is who he is at 7 years in the NFL. Same with Cook. Maybe Austin is being held back, I'm not so sure. We don't know what we have in Marquez. Quick is who he is year 4 in the league. Kendricks same thing. Not one guy I mentioned have shown they can be more than nice role players. We need to improve both the QB position and the WR position.

SuperMan28

Hall of Fame
Lots of people like to make a big deal about stats. At the end of the day, all that matters is...

Boras 4-0
Keenum 4-1 (6-1 last 7 starts)

And yeah, I'm overlooking SF. Don't care.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Apples and oranges.

How many of those game last year were the forced to throw the ball 35+ times because of the game situation? You are looking at raw stats and drawing etched in stone conclusions. It's never that simple.

With the presence of Gurley this year, the number of times they've been forced into throwing the ball that often have few and far between.

If you want to pick a stat to look at, try oassed attempted. This year vs last. But while you are looking at that, be sure to also take into account the game situations. And in terms of the receivers, the level of QB play in each year.

Everyone is so quick to look only at raw numbers in terms of yardage. But let's look at each game how and where the passing game was utilitiized. Efficiency does not always equate to big numbers. It means being productive when the situation dictates.

Wait! You mean individual stats are the way we tell who wins a game???

I can't believe there are really fans out there who only care about stats and not the bottom line. I really could care less how many yards per game our QB is throwing for or how many points for game they score. The only stat I care about is wins and losses.

Just to make sure you know this is not targeted at you @CoachO I'm just playing off the sting of other posts here.

And what is the Rams record with Keenum throwing for that measly 125 yards per game. 3-1 I'll take that every 4 games all year long.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
21, 31 and 23 in the last 3 games

Back on December 6th the Rams had just ran off 5 straight looses where they averaged approx 10 pts on offense & the defense let an average of 27 pts on the board. The Rams were free-fall & a 4-8 team!

Since Cigs departure the Rams Boras offense has averaged 25 points a game & the rested defense only permitted 18 points a game. & there is a very high chance we will conclude this season as a 8-8 team. Old saying "proofs in the pudding"(y).

maddogmrb

UDFA
Name
maddogmrb
Keenum has been a career journeyman. He had a great support in Houston, so to expect him to all the sudden be a quality starter is foolish.QUOTE]

You obviously have no idea what you are talking about. Keenum had no support during his first 8 starts in Houston. The team had given up, the oline was PATHETIC, no RB, no TE, the defense was terrible leaving him with consistently bad field position, the special teams were bad, and the coaching staff was in disarray. Last year, when the Texans plucked him from the Rams practice squad he had less than 1 week to come up to speed to lead the Texans in their last 2 games in the middle of a playoff hunt. What did he do? He led them to victories in both games. I would say those are quality starts. In fact, he is 5-1 in his last 6 NFL starts including 3-1 for the Rams with pretty good stats on a team that has an oline that is very inexperienced, below average receivers, and a VERY conservative coach. I would call those quality starts.

FRO

Legend
Lots of people like to make a big deal about stats. At the end of the day, all that matters is...

Boras 4-0
Keenum 4-1 (6-1 last 7 starts)

And yeah, I'm overlooking SF. Don't care.
And the offense scored less than 20 points in 2 of Boras' 3 games and 3 of Keenum's 4 games. Our offense needs to put up 21-24 points a game.

SuperMan28

Hall of Fame
And the offense scored less than 20 points in 2 of Boras' 3 games and 3 of Keenum's 4 games. Our offense needs to put up 21-24 points a game.

Obviously they didn't need to do that. They needed to kill clock at the end of the game to ensure the victory. I'll take the win.

FRO

Legend
Obviously they didn't need to do that. They needed to kill clock at the end of the game to ensure the victory. I'll take the win.
They didn't need it, but the difference in the Baltimore game and the Detroit/Seattle games were defensive TDs. Yeah our offensive mindset would have been different had we not had that extra 7 points, but it's not like we weren't trying to put up points still.

Also if you take out the Tampa Bay game Keenum is completing 56% of his passes at 5.1 YPA. Yes we are winning games, outside of the Tampa game he hasn't been the reason. He hasn't been Foles bad, but he hasn't demonstrated he is the answer either. If you average all of his starts over 16 games he throws less that 2,500 yards and only 16 TDs. He is a good backup. He isn't a starting QB.