For those currently undecided about Boras' first three weeks...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Not that anybody has enough information already, of course.

Assuming Fisher stays, just some food for thought...

For openers, Boras is 3-0. Hasn't been the GSOT, of course. But somehow he's managed this while working with a backup QB, a very young OL, and at least partially resurrecting the production of Britt, Cook, and Gurley in the process. And without hurting Austin's production. Plus operating within the restrictions that Fisher imposes.

Execution seems better. Penalties seem to be going down.

Beating the Seahawks in Seattle was a huge feather in his cap, huh?

It's easy to overlook, but he has done all the above without the ability to make dramatic changes to game plans and personnel while in midseason. I think that that factor is significant.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not banging the table for Boras just yet.

But I'm 95% sure Fisher will be here next year. And if Boras goes 3-1 or 4-0, I think he's a virtual lock to be the OC here next year.

And, frankly, he would probably deserve it, don't you think?

Ky Ram

Pro Bowler
Here's what bothers me about Boras, he was available and he got beat out by Cignetti which to me says this is more an aberration than what he has to offer week in week out. Not his fault but I have zero faith in Fish and his ability to help with the offense.
He needs to get a GW type for the offense and let whoever that is do their damn job.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I think the people who are clamorimg for Fisher to hire an "offensive guru" should flash back to Spagnuolo's desperation move and remember how the Josh McDaniel experiment panned out. A DEFENSE FIRST Head Coach turned the offense over to someone who was not ever going to fit his system to the personnel.

IMO this is exactly where the Rams are now. To think they will ever be a dynamic "video game-like" offense is wishful thinking at best and actually kind of waste of time.

Athos

Legend
I think the people who are clamorimg for Fisher to hire an "offensive guru" should flash back to Spagnuolo's desperation move and remember how the Josh McDaniel experiment panned out. A DEFENSE FIRST Head Coach turned the offense over to someone who was not ever going to fit his system to the personnel.

IMO this is exactly where the Rams are now. To think they will ever be a dynamic "video game-like" offense is wishful thinking at best and actually kind of waste of time.

Daniels was a disaster, but you have to factor in we simply DID NOT HaVE the right personnel for a vertical based attack. Neither the oline of the WRs to stretch the field and make that kind of O work at all.

Tho Daniels wasn't the guy Id have picked anyway.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Here's what bothers me about Boras, he was available and he got beat out by Cignetti which to me says this is more an aberration than what he has to offer week in week out. Not his fault but I have zero faith in Fish and his ability to help with the offense.
He needs to get a GW type for the offense and let whoever that is do their damn job.

The only reason that Fisher went with Frank Cignetti was that Cignetti had far more experience as a play caller, he had been an offensive coordinator in college for several teams, however, Boras was only an offensive coordinator back in 2003 at UNLV under John Robinson.

I don't think you hold that against him because Fisher went with the guy with more experience, however, it seems that Boras has the ability to rally the troops and gain their buy in to his scheme.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Here's how I concluded a post on another current Boras thread, but it's pertinent here:

If the Rams field a competent offense and win Sunday, they will be 4-0 with Boras running the show, and that will include a huge road win in Seattle where the Rams O made some clutch plays when they needed to. It will be awfully difficult to justify going out and getting someone else in those circumstances.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

I agree @CoachO and IMO, Boras is a great match for Fisher, he coordinating UNLV under John Robinson that was a run first coach as well, but I also believe that Boras has an uncanny ability to rally his unit and he's very intense that mirrors his counterpart in defensive coordinator Gregg Williams.

rambone

UDFA
I’m OK with Boras for next year especially with a “W” in SF.

The play that settles it for me is dialing up the long ball to Britt after Tavon’s long return in Seattle. That go-for-the-throat, killer attitude instead of an inside hand-off while on their heels has long been missed. With our defense, a 16-0 lead is close to money.

So give him an offseason to prepare instead of a week and let’s see what he can do.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Just stop for a minute.

There is a TON of context missing here on Josh McDaniel. He brought with him the Perkins-Earhardt offense which takes a MINIMUM of 2 years to install completely. It's the hardest to install. Now, once installed, it can be among the most flexible with respect to personnel and can be simplified for skill position players which is WHY New England has had such success with it... they've had continuity at the QB position and the system doesn't require as much from the skill position players, but it does from the QB and the OL which is why New England struggles against teams with defensive lines that can get pressure with just the front four.

Secondly, Josh McDaniel expected to get results from people based on using the FULL offense when the offense hadn't been fully installed. It was a stupid mistake and hubris. In New England, Belicheck installed that offense with Drew Bledsoe and Brady learned it as a rookie, but it was in place.

Lastly, the P-E offense isn't a "vertical" offense any more than a Coryell offense is necessarily an aerial based attack because what Washington ran with that vaunted ground game with Riggins at RB and Theismann at QB was a Coryell offense run by Joe Gibbs. As a matter of fact, the P-E offense is fantastically versatile and Belicheck has featured 2 TEs with Hernandez and Gronk, 3 and 4 WRs when he had them as well as aspects of the spread and power running game.

McDaniels just wasn't ready to be an HC. Smart football OC in his system... just not nearly ready to be in charge of a football team. Not even close.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
How much of the success on O is all Keenum outplaying Foles. Foles was slow to throw the deep ball and when he did it was late and underthrown. Keenum made the decision to throw it and got rid of it before Britt could outrun his arm.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
If Fisher comes back, then at least take advantage of the continuity and keep Boras.

But I'm still in favor of a new head coach round chea.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
How much of the success on O is all Keenum outplaying Foles. Foles was slow to throw the deep ball and when he did it was late and underthrown. Keenum made the decision to throw it and got rid of it before Britt could outrun his arm.
Foles was late or off target on virtually ALL his passes including completions. Keenum has been far better on timing. Not sure if his arm talent will ever be good enough to make the truly tough passes but for now he is extending some drives Foles stalled on and doing enough. I have a hard time watching Keenum play and thinking it was so obvious he was our best option at QB. Foles completely underperforming has more to do with the difference IMO.

Athos

Legend
Just stop for a minute.

There is a TON of context missing here on Josh McDaniel. He brought with him the Perkins-Earhardt offense which takes a MINIMUM of 2 years to install completely. It's the hardest to install. Now, once installed, it can be among the most flexible with respect to personnel and can be simplified for skill position players which is WHY New England has had such success with it... they've had continuity at the QB position and the system doesn't require as much from the skill position players, but it does from the QB and the OL which is why New England struggles against teams with defensive lines that can get pressure with just the front four.

Secondly, Josh McDaniel expected to get results from people based on using the FULL offense when the offense hadn't been fully installed. It was a stupid mistake and hubris. In New England, Belicheck installed that offense with Drew Bledsoe and Brady learned it as a rookie, but it was in place.

Lastly, the P-E offense isn't a "vertical" offense any more than a Coryell offense is necessarily an aerial based attack because what Washington ran with that vaunted ground game with Riggins at RB and Theismann at QB was a Coryell offense run by Joe Gibbs. As a matter of fact, the P-E offense is fantastically versatile and Belicheck has featured 2 TEs with Hernandez and Gronk, 3 and 4 WRs when he had them as well as aspects of the spread and power running game.

McDaniels just wasn't ready to be an HC. Smart football OC in his system... just not nearly ready to be in charge of a football team. Not even close.

Good stuff, thanks for the info. All I remembered from that O was a lot of 5 and 7 step drops which resulted in Sam getting slaughtered.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Just stop for a minute.

My comment about the McDaniel experiment was more to reference the failed attempt brought on by desperation and not an indictment of McDaniels specifically.

This team just isn't set up to have a balls to the wall wide open offense. No matter who they bring in the as the coordinator. And my point is, there are a lot of people who seem to think that anything less than that would be a failure.

Like it or not, Fisher's "philosophy" can work. They just need better execution from top to bottom. They've improved the execution over the last month and we've seen the results in W-L column. Is it pretty? Nope.

But no one was complaining about the exact same style of play in Seattle the past two years. Or SF before that.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This team just isn't set up to have a balls to the wall wide open offense. No matter who they bring in the as the coordinator. And my point is, there are a lot of people who seem to think that anything less than that would be a failure.

This team apparently isn't set up to have anything more than a bottom 5 offense. It's not unrealistic for people to want an average or above average offense. Can Boras be the guy who brings us that? Maybe.

But I think all of us would feel better about a more proven mind.

Then again, it won't mean anything unless we upgrade our passing attack.(namely, the QB position)

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Here's how I concluded a post on another current Boras thread, but it's pertinent here:
I like your quote and believe it's accurate. the only thing is I read a quote from Boras, and he sounded like he thought his stint as OC was only going to be a Temporary gig!?! I'm very confused by it!!

FrankenRam

Starter
Here's what bothers me about Boras, he was available and he got beat out by Cignetti which to me says this is more an aberration than what he has to offer week in week out. .......

To me it says Fish originally chose Cignetti because of his longer and broader experience. I'd almost bet that if he'd gone with everyone's favorite assessment tool....'gut instinct', he'd have probably chosen Boras to begin with. And made the choice to change when he realized the longer/broader experience wasn't paying off.

Ky Ram

Pro Bowler
Like it or not, Fisher's "philosophy" can work. They just need better execution from top to bottom. They've improved the execution over the last month and we've seen the results in W-L column. Is it pretty? Nope.

But no one was complaining about the exact same style of play in Seattle the past two years. Or SF before that.
I think both of those squads consistently scored 21 or more points a game too though. If we can do that consistently ill be quiet