Foles Joins a better Supporting Cast

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's true, but any grown man who carries the ball like that needs to be punched in the face by his coaches and teammates. Hard. I have a feeling that's why they traded him. They just couldn't bare to torture the running backs coach anymore.

Didn't Dickerson used to carry the ball like a loaf of bread?

lockdnram21

Legend
Matthews is better than any WR we have. Ertz and Cook is a toss up. Demarco and Mathews are better now than our RBs. I would say they have the edge, but it's not huge.

His cast won't be as good as he had last year with McCoy and Maclin.
i disagree i would take Britt over Matthews

dbrooks25

Pro Bowler
One other thing I will say is that I will give Philly the RB edge right now but Matthews seems to always get dinged up. 2013 was the only season where he didn't miss any games and he missed 10 of them last year. Murray is a good back, but that Dallas O-line was rock solid for him.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
With A big fast receiver (quick), a physical receiver (Britt), a blazing speedy receiver (Austin), a physical big back (Mason), an above average TE (Cook), a very good blocking TE (Kendricks), Nick Foles a franchise QB for this roster.

One has to pray this awful OL can give Foles a chance for 5 step drop back passes.

Bravo!

We need to get you into the war room come draft day

Username

Has a Well-Known Member

When you look like this you can carry the ball however you want though.

ap_hall_of_fame_dickerson_829423.jpg

iced

Box score scouting? Really? So how much better is Foles than Bradford considering his 94.2 career QB rating and 27-2 TD/Int season compared to Bradford's 79.3 QB rating?

you mean when he had Lesean Mccoy, Desean jackson, and Jeremy Maclin as his big weapons around him? When he had his healthy all pro line, most notably the 3 Top 5/10 players at their position?

Lets not forget Riley cooper's hot season - very nice for a #3 receiver..

When you're watching 2013 Highlights, make you sure you note how Foles has to throw. He's not gonna have those weapons here; and Bradford has never anything resembling atleast one all Pro at wide out OR on the offensive line for a whole season - no point in comparing those two polar opposite situations

Penguin.

Rookie
You need to quit drinking kool-aid. They had better WRs, line, and RBs than us. We have equal talent in TEs.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
you mean when he had Lesean Mccoy, Desean jackson, and Jeremy Maclin as his big weapons around him? When he had his healthy all pro line, most notably the 3 Top 5/10 players at their position?

Lets not forget Riley cooper's hot season - very nice for a #3 receiver..

When you're watching 2013 Highlights, make you sure you note how Foles has to throw. He's not gonna have those weapons here; and Bradford has never anything resembling atleast one all Pro at wide out OR on the offensive line for a whole season - no point in comparing those two polar opposite situations

I disagree, I think he does have those weapons here. Its not as fast of a group but it's a BIG group on the edges and Cook. But it's complimented nicely with Tavon, Bailey, and Givens.

Foles mentioned Austin specically when talking about our receivers. I know Sproles was his favorite outlet in PHI so that makes sense.

Foles walked into a great situation and he knows it.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
You need to quit drinking kool-aid. They had better WRs, line, and RBs than us. We have equal talent in TEs.

No, their line was pedestrian. What they really had on us was solid QB play and a better OC. That's what they had. I already gave them the edge on RB's but not for depth. We were 4 rushers deep.

iced

I disagree, I think he does have those weapons here. Its not as fast of a group but it's a BIG group on the edges and Cook.

But it's complimented nicely with Tavon, Bailey, and Givens.

Givens isn't exactly a lock to make the roster - I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't make the final cut. doesn't offer an ST value

Foles walked into a great situation and he knows it.

I'm not saying he didn't - but to compare our team to the Eagles from last year or 2013...well its just not even close on the offensive side of the ball. It'd be like one of their fans trying to compare their Defense to ours.

LT? going from all pro to a rookie entering his 2nd season that was okay - not dominant but not a liability (although he certainly had a few moments)
LG? All Pro to Saffold...when he's on the field..
C? Again, All Pro to.. who?
RG? Herremans was at worst a solid guard... Joseph's not gonna return at RG, so who fills that?
RT? Lane Johnson was again at worst solid, our RT situation is fluid..

there's only 2/5 of the Line Set, and only one of them was above average last season.

He had 2 starting caliber WR's - this team, like you said, has complimentary..

and As much as I like Tre Mason, I am certainly not going to put him in Lesean Mccoy's category...

Not even gonna get into the different levels of competence between the offensive coaching staffs...

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm not saying he didn't - but to compare our team to the Eagles from last year or 2013...well its just not even close on the offensive side of the ball. It'd be like one of their fans trying to compare their Defense to ours.

LT? going from all pro to a rookie entering his 2nd season that was okay - not dominant but not a liability (although he certainly had a few moments)
LG? All Pro to Saffold...when he's on the field..
C? Again, All Pro to.. who?
RG? Herremans was at worst a solid guard... Joseph's not gonna return at RG, so who fills that?
RT? Lane Johnson was again at worst solid, our RT situation is fluid..

there's only 2/5 of the Line Set, and only one of them was above average last season.

He had 2 starting caliber WR's - this team, like you said, has complimentary..

and As much as I like Tre Mason, I am certainly not going to put him in Lesean Mccoy's category...

Not even gonna get into the different levels of competence between the offensive coaching staffs...

Problem is that you're not comparing them to the 2014 Eagles. That's why watching the film is so important. The 2014 Eagles OL was atrocious for a good chunk of the season that Foles played. The OL you're claiming was out there...wasn't. It wasn't comprised of:
LT: Jason Peters
LG: Evan Mathis
C: Jason Kelce
RG: Prime Todd Herremans
RT: Lane Johnson

Acting like it was is simply being disingenuous. Evan Mathis played less than a half of football with Foles in 2014. Jason Kelce played around 2.5 games with Foles in 2014. Lane Johnson played only 4 games with Foles in 2014. Todd Herremans played every game with Foles in 2014 but his play fell off a cliff in 2014 and he ended up being cut by the Eagles after the season.

In actuality, Foles OL looked like this:
LG: Matt Tobin
C: David Molk
RG: Todd Herremans
RT: Andrew Gardner/Lane Johnson

And that's actually a simplification as there were more injuries and more shuffling of the OL but I'm saving time here. What Foles got was great play out of Jason Peters, good play out of Lane Johnson for 4 games, and the rest of the guys...including Herremans...were liabilities.

As you concede, we have no idea what our OL will look like. So it's hard to debate whether or not it will be worse than the 2014 Eagles's OL...but being better than the 2014 Eagles's OL(that played with Foles) is not a lofty expectation to overcome.

And if you're counting rookie Jordan Matthews as a starting caliber WR...both Brian Quick and Kenny Britt are undoubtedly starting caliber WRs. Hell, if Stedman plays like he did down the stretch at the end of last year, he's another starting caliber WR. In fact, if Stedman and Tavon progress...this team could have four starting caliber WRs. But I'm not going to go that far. Regardless, this team undoubtedly has two starting caliber WRs and with a third year jump from Austin or Bailey like we got from Quick, we've got 3 or 4.

Lets not diminish the talent this team has. We are not in the dire straits you're claiming we are at WR.

iced

Problem is that you're not comparing them to the 2014 Eagles. That's why watching the film is so important. The 2014 Eagles OL was atrocious for a good chunk of the season that Foles played. The OL you're claiming was out there...wasn't. It wasn't comprised of:
LG: Evan Mathis
C: Jason Kelce
RG: Prime Todd Herremans
RT: Lane Johnson

Acting like it was is simply being disingenuous. Evan Mathis played less than a half of football with Foles in 2014. Jason Kelce played around 2.5 games with Foles in 2014. Lane Johnson played only 4 games with Foles in 2014. Todd Herremans played every game with Foles in 2014 but his play fell off a cliff in 2014 and he ended up being cut by the Eagles after the season.

In actuality, Foles OL looked like this:
LG: Matt Tobin
C: David Molk
RG: Todd Herremans
RT: Andrew Gardner/Lane Johnson

And that's actually a simplification as there were more injuries and more shuffling of the OL but I'm saving time here. What Foles got was great play out of Jason Peters, good play out of Lane Johnson for 4 games, and the rest of the guys...including Herremans...were liabilities.

As you concede, we have no idea what our OL will look like. So it's hard to debate whether or not it will be worse than the 2014 Eagles's OL...but being better than the 2014 Eagles's OL(that played with Foles) is not a lofty expectation to overcome.

I've never debated that Eagles line struggled without Mathis and Kelce in those 8-10 so games they missed - however i think you're minimizing how BAD devin joseph and scott wells were. Not to mention the struggles Robinson had at LT.

Did the Eagles struggle at times? Sure. Was is it nearly as bad as our line? Nope
And if you're counting rookie Jordan Matthews as a starting caliber WR...both Brian Quick and Kenny Britt are undoubtedly starting caliber WRs. Hell, if Stedman plays like he did down the stretch at the end of last year, he's another starting caliber WR. In fact, if Stedman and Tavon progress...this team could have four starting caliber WRs. But I'm not going to go that far. Regardless, this team undoubtedly has two starting caliber WRs and with a third year jump from Austin or Bailey like we got from Quick, we've got 3 or 4.

Lets not diminish the talent this team has. We are not in the dire straits you're claiming we are at WR.

i'm not diminishing the talent - i'm just being realistic of where they are and not letting my homerism blind my thoughts by making out landish comparisons. So when I see 2 guys from one team out producing our whole WR/TE corps combined, but we're supposed to on some how on par, is just inaccurate..

dhaab

Rookie
i'm not diminishing the talent - i'm just being realistic of where they are and not letting my homerism blind my thoughts by making out landish comparisons. So when I see 2 guys from one team out producing our whole WR/TE corps combined, but we're supposed to on some how on par, is just inaccurate..

It's pretty difficult to compare any WR's from these 2 teams because they play in polar opposite schemes. Using stats only doesn't quantify one being better than the other because one team threw the ball almost all of the time and the other was a run-first, conservative one that rarely threw the ball down field. I really like how Quick and Bailey have developed and think they are much better than you're giving them credit for here.

Last edited:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I've never debated that Eagles line struggled without Mathis and Kelce in those 8-10 so games they missed - however i think you're minimizing how BAD devin joseph and scott wells were. Not to mention the struggles Robinson had at LT.

Did the Eagles struggle at times? Sure. Was is it nearly as bad as our line? Nope

Davin Joseph and Scott Wells aren't on this team anymore. So they're irrelevant to what Foles's supporting cast here will be.

Was the Eagles OL with Foles nearly as bad as our OL? Foles was pressured on 34.1% of his dropbacks. Shaun Hill was pressured on 35.2% of his dropbacks. I'd say that's in the same stratosphere.

Gotta love "realists". There were plenty of "realists" who said that Quick didn't deserve a roster spot. You have your opinion. I have mine. Doesn't make you a realist or me a homer because my opinion paints the Rams in a better light.

When you see two guys outproducing what now? Our WRs and TEs combined for 240 receptions, 2988 yards, and 17 TDs last year. Maclin and Matthews combined for 152 receptions, 2190 yards, and 18 TDs. The only area where they outproduced them was TDs. The other two areas weren't even close. And that's despite the Eagles having nearly 1000 more passing yards and 7 more passing TDs. So that claim is clearly fictitious.

All your claims are based on stats. Stats don't mean matter. Play is what matters. And no, stats do not accurately measure play. The Eagles threw the ball over 100 more times than we did, they had nearly 1000 more passing yards(and better QB play), and they had 7 more TDs. On top of that, Brian Quick(our #1 WR) was injured halfway through the year and Stedman Bailey didn't get elevated to starter snaps until the second half of the season.

Over those final 7 games, when Stedman was getting starter snaps, he put up 25 catches for 375 yards and a TD. That's 57 catches for 857 yards and 2 TDs when extrapolated over a season...despite poor QB play and a weak OL. Brian Quick went down in the 7th game...prior to that, he was on pace for 64 catches for 973 yards and 8 TDs. Kenny Britt put up solid numbers as a #2 WR for us and would have had much more impressive numbers with competent QBing considering our QBs cost him at least 150 yards and 3 TDs due to their screw-ups.

So no, I'm not concerned. Brian Quick was breaking out despite our QB problems, Stedman showed serious ability down the stretch last year, and Britt was a solid #2 WR all year. All three of those guys are capable of being quality targets this year. Not to mention the fact that both Bailey and Austin will be going into their third year which is usually the year where WRs see their biggest improvement. Especially guys like Bailey who played well down the final stretch of their 2nd season.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike

Payton did the same thing often...If your name is Walter Payton or Eric Dickerson, I'm not sure it makes too much difference how you carry the ball...For mere mortals that is probably not the case...

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook

You just don't seem to know the difference between what's on the paper and reading between the lines. Of course they out produced our guys! But that does not mean they have a better unit. You laugh, but Bradford going down deflated all the numbers. Then you have Schotty playing it uber conservative and they did have a better OL in a division of soft D's. Where's the stats for that? There isn't any but it's all true. And yet you just want to keep talking production because you think that's the end game when I'm not even talking about production. I'm talking about skill and depth. We had more of it than them. So now tell me how they had better stats because I totally give a rat's behind.

This is why many of you don't get the trade. It didn't happen based how much Bradford produced in this league, that's for sure. It was based on what Sam has shown he can do. Throw the stats out the window. But Chip knows he got the better QB and had to surrender a second round pick square the deal.

I mean you are nearly on "eat crow" list but you haven't said anything I can hold you to. Just on the fringe....

So please continue.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I love the rams wrs. I'm happy with the rbs. I'm lukewarm on the tes. I'm disgusted with the oline. I'm suicidal with the back up qbs playing for 25 games straight.

Foles at least takes me off suicide watch But the oline is no closer to being anything but horrible let alone even average. Tread carefully Nick.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
The offensive line right now is the worst in the NFL. We have two components as of now and that is just scary. It doesn't matter who is playing at the other positions, Foles is going to get murdered back there unless we fix this. Once we have an offensive line to even speak of, then we can talk.