Foles Joins a better Supporting Cast

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Surprising? I do believe it. Let's compare.

- Protection should be better than what had last year. Especially with our run first style of offense.

WR's- Rams have a better unit than PHI last year. The numbers don't reflect it because of the ultra conservative approach to protect our franchise back up QB's. Maclin and Cooper were PHI's best WR's last year. It was not a deep group. Plus I think Foles will benefit from have our two towers on the edges in Britt and Quick. He throws a deep ball with a ton of arch. Britt and Quick are gonna feast on jump balls, especially Britt.

Our 3-5 WR's are shorter. Therefore I feel they get overlooked with shorter (than Foles) QB's that couldn't overlook the incoming rushers as well as Foles (keeps eyes down field really well.) Austin, Bailey, Givens/Cooper finally have a QB that can get them the ball. They should of got more passes last year.

TE's- Straight up, Rams got a way better group. Not only is Cook better than Ertz, he's not the only good pass catching TE on the team. Kendricks and Harkey are both as solid as you can ask out of #2 and #3 TE's.

Running backs- We dont have Sproles or McCoy, but it's not a huge drop off. Mason and Cunningham is a really good tandem and Watts and Stacy are excellent #3 and #4 RB's. It's a very good, deep, group but I do give the top end talent to PHI, of course. But this group will have more production with a QB that has a deep ball to keep D's honest.

Very, very, excited for this season.

Bonus opinions: My top three options in the draft have changed for the 10th pick.

1. Cooper
2. Scherff
3. Trade down.

Cooper's cutting ability would make him a great slot guy and course he can step right in if anybody gets hurt. Our offense wouldn't miss a beat.

iced

I couldn't disagree more

No way to our Receivers - especially vs Maclin....

Their Line was head and shoulders better than what we have...they have/had 3 Top 5/10 players at LT (Peters),LG (Mathis), And C (kelce).. our line was an embarassment - and theres in 2013 was all pro

I like our Tight ends but there's no denying ertz's ability. I think thats a wash...

their RB's are better only cause of Murray and Sproles - that's a lethal tandem that gives the edge over our corps

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Lol. I agree that we have better depth at WR, TE, and RBs but the Iggles had better starting talent at OL, WR, and TE plus a coach who knew how to cater to the offense's strengths.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I couldn't disagree more

No way to our Receivers - especially vs Maclin....

Their Line was head and shoulders better than what we have...they have/had 3 Top 5/10 players at LT (Peters),LG (Mathis), And C (kelce).. our line was an embarassment - and theres in 2013 was all pro

I like our Tight ends but there's no denying ertz's ability. I think thats a wash...

their RB's are better only cause of Murray and Sproles - that's a lethal tandem that gives the edge over our corps

Mathis missed pretty much all of the games Foles played in 2014(got injured early in their first game) and Kelce/Lane Johnson missed half of them.

Their OL was pretty terrible without those guys. If we add quality guys at RT and LG(and quality depth), I think we have a better OL than what the Eagles put out in 2014...but not 2013.

I'd agree with the OP in taking our WR corp over Philly's as well but I guess we'll have to wait and see. Cooper was bad in 2014. Maclin is talented and Matthews had a good rookie year but aside from those two, there wasn't much there. If we get Quick back healthy and he continues to play like he did last year, I think we're better. And if we get Cooper? Game over.

But our OL, as it stands now, is not an upgrade. We'll have to see where it goes from here.

iced

Mathis missed all of the games Foles played in 2014 and Kelce/Lane Johnson missed half of them.

Their OL was pretty terrible without those guys. If we add quality guys at RT and LG(and quality depth), I think we have a better OL than what the Eagles put out in 2014...but not 2013.

Not with Lane Johnson, Jason Peters and Kelce still there....

No one on our line is even playing close to the same level as Kelce and Peters

I'd agree with the OP in taking our WR corp over Philly's as well.

This is just laughable.

Kenny Britt + tavon Austin + stedman bailey = 1425 Yards, 4 TD's.

Maclin = 1318 yards, 10 tds.
Jordan Matthews = 872, 8 td's.

Maclin by himself almost out did our top 3...

Between their top 2 receivers they scored more touchdowns than both the Rams Wide receivers and Tight ends combined....

And that's with Sanchez for 9 Games.
rams-vs-eagles.jpg

Quite a bit of disparity there in actual talent and production....

There's a reason Jeremy Maclin got paid, and Kenny britt didn't. There's a reason maclin is considered a #1 WR, and we're still looking for a stud

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

As I stated above, Kelce and Johnson each missed 4 of the 8 games that Foles played.

This is just laughable.

Keep on laughing. I don't care what the stats say.

Between their top 2 receivers they scored more touchdowns than both the Rams Wide receivers and Tight ends combined....

View attachment 5706

There's a reason Jeremy Maclin got paid, and Kenny britt didn't. There's a reason maclin is considered a #1 WR, and we're still looking for a stud

"And that's with Sanchez for 9 games?" Mark Sanchez for 9 games sounds pretty damn good when the other option is Shaun Hill and Austin Davis for 16 games.

There is a reason Maclin got paid...he put up big numbers in a contract year. But lets go ahead and rewind one year. Maclin hit free agency and re-signed a 1 year deal with Philadelphia worth UP TO $6 million. I.E. less than what Britt got paid to re-sign with us.

So did Maclin just happen to become the #1 WR this year or was he simply the beneficiary of a hurry up offense with a lot of passing stats that had to go to someone? I'm going to go with the latter...considering Maclin has been considered a #2 WR his entire career.

But I'd be more than happy to concede that Maclin is a better WR than Britt. However, that's not the question. The question is if Maclin, Cooper, Matthews, and Huff were a better WR corp than Quick, Britt, Bailey, and Austin.

For me, the answer is no. Don't much care what stats you have. They don't tell me anything. I watched every single game those guys played with Foles.

Orchid

Starter
Name
Obert
This is just laughable.

Let us not get caught up in numbers. The Eagles offensive numbers will always be better because of scheme and coaching philosophy and where they play, NFC East. Still not sure Maclin is a #1 WR. He is in my opinion the number one candidate of the day one FA to disappoint.

dbrooks25

Pro Bowler

This is just laughable.

View attachment 5706

I wouldn't say it's laughable. It can definitely be debated, but not laughable. As a whole, I do think the Rams WRs were definitely deeper and let's not forget that Quick was coming on really strong before he was lost for the season. Also, we also must consider who was under center for both teams. While Foles only played in half of their games last year, we were without our starting QB the entire season and just about everyone here has expressed the opinion that our receivers would have been better off with a more solid QB than the ones we had. Oh, and Sanchez did in fact perform better than Hill did last year. I'm not going to debate who had the better receivers, but it isn't as far apart as you think.

FRO

Legend
Matthews is better than any WR we have. Ertz and Cook is a toss up. Demarco and Mathews are better now than our RBs. I would say they have the edge, but it's not huge.

His cast won't be as good as he had last year with McCoy and Maclin.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well, I guess I have disagreements with pretty much all of you, but I agree with about half of what most of you guys say.

One thing we can agree on, our defense is way better than the Eagles. Too bad our D was on the field all in most games days.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
I think that might be a little too much wishful thinking. We're pretty bare on the offensive side of the ball, outside of WRs and RBs things don't look too good. I wouldn't Mason, Stacy and Cunningham aren't too big of a drop off from McCoy and Sproles. That's way too homer even for me.

iced

As I stated above, Kelce and Johnson each missed 4 of the 8 games that Foles played.

And as I have stated many times, our line doesn't even come close, healthy or not.

Keep on laughing. I don't care what the stats say.

Don't much care what stats you have. They don't tell me anything. I watched every single game those guys played with Foles.

Lol okay. I mean the difference in production is gigantic - you can't tell me that its all because of Kelly's offense, Sanchez is better than Hill (which I don't agree with either,but I'm not gonna debate which of these 2 qb's was worse..that's like debating which ex-gf was uglier).

you can believe what you want - but the stats and, imo, the tape backs it all up. And it really should say it all, especially when you compare our 2 Corps.

ram007

Starter
With A big fast receiver (quick), a physical receiver (Britt), a blazing speedy receiver (Austin), a physical big back (Mason), an above average TE (Cook), a very good blocking TE (Kendricks), Nick Foles a franchise QB for this roster.

One has to pray this awful OL can give Foles a chance for 5 step drop back passes.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think that might be a little too much wishful thinking. We're pretty bare on the offensive side of the ball, outside of WRs and RBs things don't look too good. I wouldn't Mason, Stacy and Cunningham aren't too big of a drop off from McCoy and Sproles. That's way too homer even for me.

On McCoy, way too much east to west running at times. It's so bad at times that he'll lose 4 yards. But of course we've seen him break ankles, too. Masson runs between the tackles and has a little wiggle that throws eludes defenders just enough to pick up more yards. They are different runners. And for what I've seen, Sproles was a better player than McCoy last year in that offense.

We have a darn good TE group, better than PHI. So if we have really good TE's, WR's, and RB's, that's pretty much the opposite of "bare." Just because we haven't seen it yet does not mean it's not there. I got a ton of faith in this team. I think that's the ultimate difference around here...

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
On McCoy, way too much east to west running at times. It's so bad at times that he'll lose 4 yards. But of course we've seen him break ankles, too. Masson runs between the tackles and has a little wiggle that throws eludes defenders just enough to pick up more yards. They are different runners. And for what I've seen, Sproles was a better player than McCoy last year in that offense.

We have a darn good TE group, better than PHI. So if we have really good TE's, WR's, and RB's, that's pretty much the opposite of "bare." Just because we haven't seen it yet does not mean it's not there. I got a ton of faith in this team. I think that's the ultimate difference around here...

McCoy is a stud. Even last year. What that guy can do with a little bit of space is unreal.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Foles will have a better supporting cast talent-wise by the time camp rolls around. There is no way Fish and Snead are going to trade Bradford to an offensive genius like Kelly then stick Foles behind a garbage OL... They'll come out of it lookin like fools and will be fired.

The OL will be rebuilt and should be solid at least which is going to be better than the Eagles OL last year.

The Rams WRs are already more talented than any group Foles had in Philly IMO but the key is Kelly and the excellent offensive coordination more than compensates for that. What we don't know is how ready is Cigs to be OC? If he's ready, then we will see the value in our offensive talent that we did not see prior. So this one's up in the air I think, but given the makeup of the top half of the draft there's a good chance we see another WR added too, which should propel the Rams into elite "talent" category regardless of whether their new OC is any good at utilizing them.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
Wow I thought I was negative on the Rams OL but some of the adjectives being thrown out there are pretty brutal...

For what it's worth Football Outsiders ranks of OL:

Team Run Blocking Pass Blocking
STL 17th 23rd
PHI 30th 9th

Advanced Football Analytics (Wins Probability Added) ranks of OL:

Team Run WPA Pass WPA
STL 25th 13th
PHI 8th 11th

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
McCoy is a stud. Even last year. What that guy can do with a little bit of space is unreal.

It's true, but any grown man who carries the ball like that needs to be punched in the face by his coaches and teammates. Hard. I have a feeling that's why they traded him. They just couldn't bare to torture the running backs coach anymore.

jjab360

Legend

This is just laughable.

View attachment 5706

Box score scouting? Really? So how much better is Foles than Bradford considering his 94.2 career QB rating and 27-2 TD/Int season compared to Bradford's 79.3 QB rating?