Fitzy Anyone?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Fitzpatrick is really the only FA veteran QB i'm interested in, but i wouldn't be excited about it.

lockdnram21

Legend
Don't think we draft a qb think they give keenum and Mannion a shot. Get a couple weapons and a center

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
I like Fitzpatrick, the man's got a really good beard, I mean really good. He's a serviceable QB, but he's not 'exciting' if you know what I mean.

I'd like to see them give Mannion a shot with Keenum backing him up. Why bother draft Mannion in the 3rd unless you have visions of him starting. he's got an o-line now, he's got the best RB in Gurley, he's got Tavon's gadget playmaker - seriously, give him a WR that can compete for the ball and he is your starter - the dude ran a pro-style offense in college, so he should be up to speed already! If you're not going to start him then cut him.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I like Fitzpatrick, the man's got a really good beard, I mean really good. He's a serviceable QB, but he's not 'exciting' if you know what I mean.

I'd like to see them give Mannion a shot with Keenum backing him up. Why bother draft Mannion in the 3rd unless you have visions of him starting. he's got an o-line now, he's got the best RB in Gurley, he's got Tavon's gadget playmaker - seriously, give him a WR that can compete for the ball and he is your starter - the dude ran a pro-style offense in college, so he should be up to speed already! If you're not going to start him then cut him.

Why draft Mason in the 3rd if you're going to draft Gurley in the top 10?

A 3rd round pick on a QB means nothing. Since 2000, only 9 QBs drafted in the 3rd round have started 16 or more games in their career.(thus far for QBs picked recently) Those 9 QBs are/were:
Matt Schaub
Russell Wilson
Josh McCown
Nick Foles
Trent Edwards
Colt McCoy
Charlie Frye
Mike Glennon
Chris Simms

So you have two good QBs from the 3rd round since 2000.

The 3rd on Mannion is a sunk cost. And it's not a particularly big sunk cost either. It's not like having a 1st round QB waiting in the wings. I'm not sticking around if the Rams plan to go all in on Mannion next year.

Don't think we draft a qb think they give keenum and Mannion a shot. Get a couple weapons and a center

Yep, get a couple weapons and a center and then ride your backup caliber QB to another mediocre season.
(or hope that Mannion is the savior)

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Good Morning Gentlemen 3:30am here and I can't sleep.
Anyway, QB is the face of your team for all intent and purpose. With the imminent move the team building philosophy will inevitably change a bit.
A viable representative behind center will be a given. Whether it be through FA where we now have a lot more leverage or a trade or through the Draft I suspect another QB face on this team with a chance to start come May.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Lol.
The idea that Fitz is a mere ufa looking for work is funny

The jets love him, traded for him because of his relationship with Chan Gailey.
Then he goes out and sets the team record for Td passes in a season.

He's not going anywhere. The jets have been searching for a qb since Testeverde and now they believe they have one

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
I'd rather use the FA money that would be spent on Fitz on another player. The Rams need to draft a QB in the first round.
Not at 15 they don't. That would be the definition of forcing a pick.

I think we can all agree that neither Goff or Lynch make it that long and IMO, none of the other QBS are worthy of being selected there and there is no way on earth I give up all that woukd be required to move up for either.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
All the more reason to hope and pray and sacrifice the requisite number of virgins so that Drew Brees becomes available and we sign him!

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Lol.
The idea that Fitz is a mere ufa looking for work is funny

The jets love him, traded for him because of his relationship with Chan Gailey.
Then he goes out and sets the team record for Td passes in a season.

He's not going anywhere. The jets have been searching for a qb since Testeverde and now they believe they have one

I would agree. Good or even decent quarterbacks are hard to find. If a team has one they're not letting him go. Even if they have to franchise him till they work a deal.

fearsomefour

Legend
In my ideal world our QBs go:
1. #1 Draft pick
2. Fitz
3. Mannion
I have been saying this for months, he is the best likely option.
However, he is coming off of a good year, the salary he will demand ould mean he would be starting. Unless a rookie came in and was stellar, which is unlikely, why pay a guy like Fitzpatrick millions to back up? Keenum is a good back up and much cheaper.
If Fitzpatrick is signed he would be signed to start, to win now and for a couple of years until a rookie is ready to be a long term answer at QB.

fearsomefour

Legend
I would agree. Good or even decent quarterbacks are hard to find. If a team has one they're not letting him go. Even if they have to franchise him till they work a deal.
Agreed.
I would love for the Rams to sign him but I would be amazed if he hits the market, unless his demands are very high.
What will it take to sign him after the year he had? $9M, $10M a year?

Ram Man

Rookie
To summarize the prior posts on Fitz:
1. He ain't leaving the Jets. He is perfect for their system and has been successful there.
2. Fitz would require an unreasonable contract to come to the Rams. The FA QB crop is THIN this offseason. Fitz is the best of a bad bunch so far. Supply and demand works in Fitz' favor. He is going to get PAID with a guaranteed money multi-year contract. The Rams always have to overpay to get/retain talent.
3. Fitz will regress. Fitz had a career year in 2015. He's been in the league for 10 years and finally had a great season. He'll turn 34 during the season. It is unlikely that Fitz will match his performance with the Jets again. To sign Fitz the Rams would have to give him a big contract and they would regret it.

fearsomefour

Legend
1. He ain't leaving the Jets. He is perfect for their system and has been successful there.
2. Fitz would require an unreasonable contract to come to the Rams. The FA QB crop is THIN this offseason. Fitz is the best of a bad bunch so far. Supply and demand works in Fitz' favor. He is going to get PAID with a guaranteed money multi-year contract. The Rams always have to overpay to get/retain talent.
3. Fitz will regress. Fitz had a career year in 2015. He's been in the league for 10 years and finally had a great season. He'll turn 34 during the season. It is unlikely that Fitz will match his performance with the Jets again. To sign Fitz the Rams would have to give him a big contract and they would regret it.
Fitz probably isn't leaving the Jets, you are right.
Fitz contract is not unreasonable given the market. Look how quickly Foles brilliant extension went from a bargain to an albatross.
Fitz is a good QB, more than the best of the bad.
He may regress he may not. Over the last couple of seasons he seems to understand his limitations a little better now. He is not Brett Favre, he has stopped trying to make impossible throws.
So, the options are very limited. Keenum, Foles, Mannion....any of these guys going to be THE guy? Who knows? Probably not.
I have seen no first round QBs that I love and think are THE guy, the long term answer. But, again, who the hell knows? If it was easy to pick them Wilson wouldn't have fallen to the third round and Tommy Maddux wouldn't have been taken in the first.
I would part ways with Foles even with the tiny cap savings and dead money. I would keep Keenum and Mannion, draft a QB (what round I dont know) and look a FA option as well.
Slim pickings about sums up the FA market.
Look at the last several QBs of note for the Rams; Green, Warner, Bradford and Foles.
Green was a backup in Washington who the QB Coach (Martz) loved. Not a high draft pick and a guy who had been on a couple of teams. Ended up having a very good career. Warner was a never was, not even a has been, when he found his way on the Rams roster. Bradford was the golden boy first round pick and Foles was a guy with starting experience. So, who knows where they can find someone, but, all options need to be looked at.

Last edited:

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Bingo
The only way Fitz hits the market is if the Jets cant get him signed, which means his demands are out of this world.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You keep saying that and in 2015 that may have been true but we just don't know what Mannion has got or even Keenum with a full year working with the ones. I think he would have gotten us to at least 9-7 if Foles had never started.

Goff just ain't happening the Rams are not going to trade to #1 overall and he's not THAT good anyway. Probably needs a year in someone's system to get ready and it will likely be in Cleveland. There are no other QBs coming out even remotely close to being ready to start in 2016 and Mannion or Keenum would likely win that battle knowing Fisher's tendencies.

As for Fitz I don't think he's going anywhere and as others mentioned he has only played well under Gailey. Thanks but I'd rather build on Mannion and Keenum.
Dissagree on goff....he is THAT good. And for what it's worth your opinion on goff and the upcoming qb class was pretty much word for word what they said on nfl network yesterday....I encourage you to review the film yourself and come away with a conclusion rather then take the talking heads opinions as fact

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Should have NEVER gotten rid of Fitzy....now that he's gone, I'm not bringing him back...Sorry, that ship has sailed...

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Absolutely not. Rams need to stop acquiring mediocre QBs and DRAFT THE EFFING POSITION!!!

Quit screwing around. Get it fixed right.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not at 15 they don't. That would be the definition of forcing a pick.

I think we can all agree that neither Goff or Lynch make it that long and IMO, none of the other QBS are worthy of being selected there and there is no way on earth I give up all that woukd be required to move up for either.

Yep, they do. It would be the definition of a smart pick. Because they're not foolishly sticking with Case Keenum and passing on talented QB prospects.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Dissagree on goff....he is THAT good. And for what it's worth your opinion on goff and the upcoming qb class was pretty much word for word what they said on nfl network yesterday....I encourage you to review the film yourself and come away with a conclusion rather then take the talking heads opinions as fact
Well maybe I should be getting paid for them stealing my material because I didn't watch anything they said.

Only time will tell on Goff