Fisher: "Jared and Sean are ready, and I'm enjoying Case under center"

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I used to use an IPad. Now I have a kindle Fire. The auto correct on this kindle is ridiculous. I have to re-read everything. If I don't I end up with deceptive cookbooks. :cry:

I started using an ipad. We won it in some raffle. I can honestly say it is the worst piece of junk I've ever used. How on earth did this company become the biggest player in the market? All their products are absolute garbage. Did everyone really fall for their crappy ads?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I started using an ipad. We won it in some raffle. I can honestly say it is the worst piece of junk I've ever used. How on earth did this company become the biggest player in the market? All their products are absolute garbage. Did everyone really fall for their crappy ads?

I loved my first Gen I Pad but it eventually became obsolete as programs and apps became too complex for it.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
Maybe we can get some of our picks back by trading Goff after we will the Superbowl with Keenum?:yess:

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Why even mention Sean Mannion? I swear, he'll start Hekker before Mannion at QB. I'd put even money he's not even sure where Mannion's locker is.

As for Goff, I've been thinking about this...a LOT... and this is how I think it went down.

Fisher saw Goff years ago and "fell in love" with him AND his potential. Wentz was never really in the picture, although, as we've seen...he really SHOULD have been.

But... the last season at Cal and the Combine, Pro Day and private workouts... all combined with the confirmation bias (we all have it with something) showed that Goff had TREMENDOUS potential...AND...he was raw. Not just game raw, but young raw. He was young and a bit goofy. And while he is a very hard worker, he had a VERY long way to go from a system at Cal that had NEVER produced a caliber of QB that Fisher believed and believes Goff can be. Fisher didn't care about him being raw. He didn't start Rookies, anyway, and has as much stability as anyone other than maybe Belichick and Tomlin.

So, what does he do? He bets the farm on this young man with SO MUCH potential who he thinks he saw before anyone else and who he thinks he understands better than anyone else (and if I were a betting person, I'd bet real money that he really DOES believe THAT). He believes Case Keenum is competent enough to lead the team until Goff is ready.

Truth is that he doesn't know how long Goff will take. He knew Goff was way more raw in many aspects than he let on and he was complicit in generating the hype that's giving him headaches now.

Now, IF Fisher was right about Goff's potential AND Weinke and Boras are doing a good job developing not just his body, but his mental acuity for the Pro game, then Goff truly has the potential to be so special that...and I tread holy Rams ground here... he has the potential to eclipse Warner, Waterfield and Van Brocklin as THE Rams Greatest QB. Even with Fisher's F'd up, broken scheme...it's all there.

And even the thought of that has fans almost rabid for it to happen NOW.

I think Fisher sees this differently. It seems he sees this situation more akin to a soufflé. The ingredients, prep and all the steps including the timing have to be just right...or it's all going to fall flat. A perfect soufflé is sublime. One that falls flat? At best, it's meh. At worst, it's a waste of time and ingredients.

I don't really talk about Wentz anymore because while Wentz was the logical Lego fit to who Fisher IS...consistently...based on actions and results... Fisher was always...ALWAYS...enamored beyond enamored with the prospect and promise of Goff.

And he's going to do ANYTHING to prove that he's found the GOAT. If that means sitting Goff for two years? That's what that means. I hardly think it will take that long (for those who's heart stopped), but Fisher's consistency once again shows through.

Fisher's got to be Fisher. He's done this time and again with DBs (letting Rodney McLeod go because Mo Alexander was ready) and DL and he THINKS he's finally gonna be able to do this with a QB.

I think he LOVES (present tense) Steve McNair, even in his grave for all he was. That said, Kerry Collins notwithstanding, he's NEVER had that pure pocket passer to go with his Eddie George that coupled with his D, he thinks would make him unstoppable...and he has bet the farm that Goff is that QB.

The LAST thing he's going to allow to happen is to have him get David Carr'd behind an OL that doesn't always protect. Especially if that QB is so raw that he's still working out the Center exchange or having issues calling the plays (although, in Goff's defense, I think you have to be a rapper to call some of these nightmarish plays. Yet ANOTHER advantage of the Perkins Earhardt offense...)

I'm not sure Keenum means anything to Goff's development. We could be undefeated, but if Goff is ready, Goff will take the reins. THAT is how much Fisher is on Goff's bandwagon. Normally, you don't mess with undefeated, even ugly undefeated. When Goff is READY, ready.... they'll put him in.

The PROOF...will be the day he starts. All the rest is Fisher being Fisher.

Well, and I'm still shocked he remembered Mannion was on the roster...
I love this post, because in my mind, and I like to see the world only in grays, never absolutes, this is probably closer to the truth than anything else that's been discussed.

And despite how I might have preferred the picks to help absorb the losses we all knew was coming on defense, and despite the fact that I might have preferred a different selection, my fandom is so great that my imagination is drawing goofy parallels to my own personal favorite quarterback of all time who wears the same number.

And now, I think we only need to get an 80 to go with that 16.

Since I went ahead and hammed this up with my delusion, I'll go ahead and call attention to how many games that quarterback played in during his first season. Just throwing that out there.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
my fandom is so great that my imagination is drawing goofy parallels to my own personal favorite quarterback of all time who wears the same number.

And now, I think we only need to get an 80 to go with that 16.
Are you talking about Montana and Rice?

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Yes sir. I went there. And edited to add to my delusion a mention of his first season with the 49ers.

Now I duck from the flying fruit. Don't hate, I'm from St. Louis, so that was admittedly before the Rams arrived.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Yes sir. I went there. And edited to add to my delusion a mention of his first season with the 49ers.

Now I duck from the flying fruit. Don't hate, I'm from St. Louis, so that was admittedly before the Rams arrived.
Isn't number 80 retired for us?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Well, alright then.

85251-Rick-Grimes-gun-in-holster-gif-pHYG.gif

sugar land

UDFA
Name
SugarLand Dave
This is just a little thing, but I think it's an important distinction.

He didn't say, "Jared is ready, BUT I'm enjoying Case under center."
He said, "Jared is ready, AND I'm enjoying Case under center."
Tom Landry rotated quartebacks each play with Craig Morton under center and Roger Staubach in the shotgun. Maybe Fisher is hinting that he is going to be creative. "Ok Case. No more shotgun for you!"

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
IMO, Fisher drafted Goff because Fisher and many others believe that Goff has a higher ceiling than the other QBs in this last draft and that with Goff being so much younger than the others he will have a longer NFL career. Even if Goff doesnt start till the end of next season, he will still be starting at a younger age than Wentz did, with the added benefit of over 1 year of NFL training. This does not mean I dont think Goff should or will start at some point this year. If Goff and Wentz both play til the age of 35 and Goff doesnt start a game till next season, barring injury Goff will have played 1 year more than Wentz. Wentz had 5 years in college, Goff only had 3, but he started all 3 seasons and started only 2 less games than Wentz did in his 5 year college career.

Just because the Rams didnt trade their starting QB or have their starter go down to injury does not make Goff any less capable than those rookie QBs that are starting due to injury or trade, just means the Rams feel they are in a better situation than those other teams, it is in no way an indictment of Goffs readiness or ability or the Rams coaches ability to get him ready, it just means the Rams QB hasnt been injured or traded.. To be honest I didnt watch Wentz in college and only saw Prescott a few times and while I thought he would be playing on Sundays, I was not as impressed with him as I was with what I saw of Goff, living in CA I saw Goff play quite a few times and was impressed with his accuracy and decision making especially considering he didnt have much of a supporting cast. He got pummeled but got back up and stood in the face of the rush to deliver strikes.

I'm sure if Goff had been taken by dallas, philly, denver or cleveland he would have started for that team as a result of injury/trade just like the others have.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
IMO, Fisher drafted Goff because Fisher and many others believe that Goff has a higher ceiling than the other QBs in this last draft and that with Goff being so much younger than the others he will have a longer NFL career. Even if Goff doesnt start till the end of next season, he will still be starting at a younger age than Wentz did, with the added benefit of over 1 year of NFL training. This does not mean I dont think Goff should or will start at some point this year. If Goff and Wentz both play til the age of 35 and Goff doesnt start a game till next season, barring injury Goff will have played 1 year more than Wentz. Wentz had 5 years in college, Goff only had 3, but he started all 3 seasons and started only 2 less games than Wentz did in his 5 year college career.

Just because the Rams didnt trade their starting QB or have their starter go down to injury does not make Goff any less capable than those rookie QBs that are starting due to injury or trade, just means the Rams feel they are in a better situation than those other teams, it is in no way an indictment of Goffs readiness or ability or the Rams coaches ability to get him ready, it just means the Rams QB hasnt been injured or traded.. To be honest I didnt watch Wentz in college and only saw Prescott a few times and while I thought he would be playing on Sundays, I was not as impressed with him as I was with what I saw of Goff, living in CA I saw Goff play quite a few times and was impressed with his accuracy and decision making especially considering he didnt have much of a supporting cast. He got pummeled but got back up and stood in the face of the rush to deliver strikes.

I'm sure if Goff had been taken by dallas, philly, denver or cleveland he would have started for that team as a result of injury/trade just like the others have.

This is the problem, though. This is Fisher's outlook. But we're not better situated than Dallas and Philly. Because their rookie QBs are outplaying Keenum.

But Fisher's outlook isn't, "Wow, those rookie QBs have been impressive. Maybe I should reconsider what I'm doing?" Instead, it is, "Those rookie QBs are only playing because of injuries. We didn't have any injuries, so my decision is sound."

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And would have played as well if not better than the other rookies
Which incidentally is much better than Keenum

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
This is the problem, though. This is Fisher's outlook. But we're not better situated than Dallas and Philly. Because their rookie QBs are outplaying Keenum.

But Fisher's outlook isn't, "Wow, those rookie QBs have been impressive. Maybe I should reconsider what I'm doing?" Instead, it is, "Those rookie QBs are only playing because of injuries. We didn't have any injuries, so my decision is sound."

I dont agree with Fisher on this but I can see how he came to this. I'm not sure that Goff would be ruined if he were to start and not have instant success, but I can see how he would be better prepared for his first start by sitting for a bit, hopefully not a full season.

Bruce2980

Starter
Why even mention Sean Mannion? I swear, he'll start Hekker before Mannion at QB. I'd put even money he's not even sure where Mannion's locker is.

As for Goff, I've been thinking about this...a LOT... and this is how I think it went down.

Fisher saw Goff years ago and "fell in love" with him AND his potential. Wentz was never really in the picture, although, as we've seen...he really SHOULD have been.

But... the last season at Cal and the Combine, Pro Day and private workouts... all combined with the confirmation bias (we all have it with something) showed that Goff had TREMENDOUS potential...AND...he was raw. Not just game raw, but young raw. He was young and a bit goofy. And while he is a very hard worker, he had a VERY long way to go from a system at Cal that had NEVER produced a caliber of QB that Fisher believed and believes Goff can be. Fisher didn't care about him being raw. He didn't start Rookies, anyway, and has as much stability as anyone other than maybe Belichick and Tomlin.

So, what does he do? He bets the farm on this young man with SO MUCH potential who he thinks he saw before anyone else and who he thinks he understands better than anyone else (and if I were a betting person, I'd bet real money that he really DOES believe THAT). He believes Case Keenum is competent enough to lead the team until Goff is ready.

Truth is that he doesn't know how long Goff will take. He knew Goff was way more raw in many aspects than he let on and he was complicit in generating the hype that's giving him headaches now.

Now, IF Fisher was right about Goff's potential AND Weinke and Boras are doing a good job developing not just his body, but his mental acuity for the Pro game, then Goff truly has the potential to be so special that...and I tread holy Rams ground here... he has the potential to eclipse Warner, Waterfield and Van Brocklin as THE Rams Greatest QB. Even with Fisher's F'd up, broken scheme...it's all there.

And even the thought of that has fans almost rabid for it to happen NOW.

I think Fisher sees this differently. It seems he sees this situation more akin to a soufflé. The ingredients, prep and all the steps including the timing have to be just right...or it's all going to fall flat. A perfect soufflé is sublime. One that falls flat? At best, it's meh. At worst, it's a waste of time and ingredients.

I don't really talk about Wentz anymore because while Wentz was the logical Lego fit to who Fisher IS...consistently...based on actions and results... Fisher was always...ALWAYS...enamored beyond enamored with the prospect and promise of Goff.

And he's going to do ANYTHING to prove that he's found the GOAT. If that means sitting Goff for two years? That's what that means. I hardly think it will take that long (for those who's heart stopped), but Fisher's consistency once again shows through.

Fisher's got to be Fisher. He's done this time and again with DBs (letting Rodney McLeod go because Mo Alexander was ready) and DL and he THINKS he's finally gonna be able to do this with a QB.

I think he LOVES (present tense) Steve McNair, even in his grave for all he was. That said, Kerry Collins notwithstanding, he's NEVER had that pure pocket passer to go with his Eddie George that coupled with his D, he thinks would make him unstoppable...and he has bet the farm that Goff is that QB.

The LAST thing he's going to allow to happen is to have him get David Carr'd behind an OL that doesn't always protect. Especially if that QB is so raw that he's still working out the Center exchange or having issues calling the plays (although, in Goff's defense, I think you have to be a rapper to call some of these nightmarish plays. Yet ANOTHER advantage of the Perkins Earhardt offense...)

I'm not sure Keenum means anything to Goff's development. We could be undefeated, but if Goff is ready, Goff will take the reins. THAT is how much Fisher is on Goff's bandwagon. Normally, you don't mess with undefeated, even ugly undefeated. When Goff is READY, ready.... they'll put him in.

The PROOF...will be the day he starts. All the rest is Fisher being Fisher.

Well, and I'm still shocked he remembered Mannion was on the roster...
Very well said, I would just add that Fisher has the comfort level to follow this vision as he has been assured by Kroenke that he is fully on board with this plan and has fully bought into it. And that is why Fisher can be so patient, he's not in fear of losing his job, as long as this team can compete, as is, until the Goff plan has been fully implemented.