FA Predictions

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
god off seasons are just to long.
Amen to that brother! I didn’t mean to flame on Quinn, I just disputed his trade value. Here’s to FA starting soon so we have something new to talk about!

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I’m not underselling it, I’m not fabricating history to fit the course. I guess we can revisit this when you adjust Goffs season stats to include his sub par game against Atlanta.

Cool with me. Add in Goff's playoff stats.

Ram65

Legend
I disagree. Quinn failed the eyeball test over the first 8 weeks and passed it with flying colors over the last 8 weeks. He was much better against the run and more of a force as a pass rusher. And it wasn't because of the OLs we faced. It was likely a combination of distance from his injuries and familiarity with a completely new scheme and completely new responsibilities. I'm wary of the injuries, but if we're strictly talking about play, I'd keep Quinn around.

I disagree. I give you that he looked a little better cutting in later in the year. Here is a write up worth looking at with video. Hard to copy it. Some looping sacks, some with help, a gift and some good speed. I think it was more of the Rams team playing better down the stretch.

http://theramswire.usatoday.com/201...-robert-quinn-stats-film-room-analysis-sacks/

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

He was horrid early on. You could tell he wasn't sure about his responsibilities, he was basically thinking too much vice reacting and for a guy like him that relies on speed thinking is a bad deal. But as the year went on he settled in and had a better grasp on things, playing faster and the stats followed.

As to why the Rams would want to move him then, well, that's a good question. But I think it's a comfort thing for Robert. He's an old dog veteran-wise who likes to rush the passer and he's still good at it. I am not sure he's fully bought in to dropping into space and all that 3-4 responsibility stuff. This is why I think the Rams move him, more than anything else. His contract freeing up money is like an added benefit given their needs of signing guys like Donald and some others.

IMO it will be the kind of move good teams make.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I disagree. I give you that he looked a little better cutting in later in the year. Here is a write up worth looking at with video. Hard to copy it. Some looping sacks, some with help, a gift and some good speed. I think it was more of the Rams team playing better down the stretch.

http://theramswire.usatoday.com/201...-robert-quinn-stats-film-room-analysis-sacks/

During the stretch when Quinn produced his 7 sacks in 8 games, we played:
NYG (0 sacks)
Minnesota (0 sacks)
New Orleans (1 sack)
Arizona (2 sacks)
Philly (1 sack)
Seattle (2 sacks)
Tennessee (0 sacks)
Atlanta (1 sack)

We were playing Arizona and Seattle for the second time. Quinn recorded a combined 1 sack against those two teams the first time around. And Seattle actually had upgraded their OL with Pro Bowl LT Duane Brown since that first game.

Looking at the other teams we played, here are their rankings in sack rate:
NYG - 10th
MIN - 6th
NO - 2nd
Philly - 12th
Tennessee - 13th
Atlanta - 8th

To put it bluntly, Quinn was playing much better football down the stretch. That was evident to me with the eye test, and I believe many others saw it too because we had threads popping up asking if Quinn was back.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He was horrid early on. You could tell he wasn't sure about his responsibilities, he was basically thinking too much vice reacting and for a guy like him that relies on speed thinking is a bad deal. But as the year went on he settled in and had a better grasp on things, playing faster and the stats followed.

As to why the Rams would want to move him then, well, that's a good question. But I think it's a comfort thing for Robert. He's an old dog veteran-wise who likes to rush the passer and he's still good at it. I am not sure he's fully bought in to dropping into space and all that 3-4 responsibility stuff. This is why I think the Rams move him, more than anything else. His contract freeing up money is like an added benefit given their needs of signing guys like Donald and some others.

IMO it will be the kind of move good teams make.

I think if we get a good offer, we'll be willing to move Quinn to use that cap room. However, that will create a hole that we have to fill, so absent a good offer, there's no reason to move on. Quinn can still get after the QB, and his run defense improved greatly over the second half of the year.

Ram65

Legend
Gallette is a perfect example of why filling DE through FA is a bad idea. Some team is going to pay him way more than they should. It's also an example of how badly teams need pass rushers, and why Quinn will have more value than many here think IMO.

It's funny because if the Rams trade Quinn as you stated in the OP then they are going to have to find a replacement and it if it's the draft it could take a year or two for development. Like I stated earlier it's a catch 22 with Quinn.

Last edited:

Ram65

Legend
During the stretch when Quinn produced his 7 sacks in 8 games, we played:
NYG (0 sacks)
Minnesota (0 sacks)
New Orleans (1 sack)
Arizona (2 sacks)
Philly (1 sack)
Seattle (2 sacks)
Tennessee (0 sacks)
Atlanta (1 sack)

We were playing Arizona and Seattle for the second time. Quinn recorded a combined 1 sack against those two teams the first time around. And Seattle actually had upgraded their OL with Pro Bowl LT Duane Brown since that first game.

Looking at the other teams we played, here are their rankings in sack rate:
NYG - 10th
MIN - 6th
NO - 2nd
Philly - 12th
Tennessee - 13th
Atlanta - 8th

To put it bluntly, Quinn was playing much better football down the stretch. That was evident to me with the eye test, and I believe many others saw it too because we had threads popping up asking if Quinn was back.

I guess we will just disagree on this one. The sacks just weren't Quinn beating his man like he use to do.

If your right the Rams will keep him. Even if your over valuing his second half they may keep him. I hope he was just getting use to the new position.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I guess we will just disagree on this one. The sacks just weren't Quinn beating his man like he use to do.

If your right the Rams will keep him. Even if your over valuing his second half they may keep him. I hope he was just getting use to the new position.

We will. Quinn had a number of plays this year where he forced the QB to step up to allow one of our interior DLs to make the play. It's only fair if he gets a few clean-up sacks. He had some very nice rushes and plays over the second half of the year. And he stayed relatively healthy. That was important to me. That's my biggest concern with him.

Simply put, we don't have anyone who can do what Quinn does. Quinn's edge rushing threat forces QBs to step up into Donald's domain and keeps teams from taking a bunch of deep drops against us. I hope that Samson develops into more of an edge threat, but that's not guaranteed.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's funny because if the Rams trade Quinn as you stated in the OP then they are going to have to find a replacement and it if it's the draft it could take a year or two for development. Like I stated earlier it's a catch 22 with Quinn.

Of course, and I really like this OLB draft class, which is why I think they will move him.

Edge rusher is a relatively quick impact position, it's not like, say, TE. And in a base 3-4, the young legs you get for the coverage aspect is a nice advantage.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
Brian Cushing as help in the middle ?

He shouldnt be expensive

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Cut: Tavon Austin.

(No-brainer decision here.)

Trade:
Robert Quinn, maybe Mark Barron, if we can find a taker.

(Also, no-brainer, given the strength of the linebacker draft.)

Re-sign: Aaron Donald, Nickell Robey-Coleman, Lamarcus Joyner, Jake McQuaide, Troy Hill, Matt Longacre, Malcolm Brown.

(Signing AD to a long-term deal should be a priority. Re-signing Joyner and NRC should be important as well. McQuaide, in spite of us looking at long-snappers, is too good to let go, if he's offering a million per year. The others are RFAs and ERFAs. No sense in not re-signing them.)

Release: Trumaine Johnson, Sammy Watkins, Connor Barwin, Cody Davis, John Sullivan, Tyrunn Walker.

(I agree with most of the list that @Merlin put out. Tru and Watkins are going to cost too much, especially when replacements can be found from within or through the draft. Barwin, Davis, Sullivan, and Walker are minor in the grand scheme of things.)

Major Free Agent Signings: Weston Richburg, Richard Sherman, Dontari Poe.

(I feel that Richburg is going to cost less than what people think due to his concussion problems. I'd love to sing him to a multi-year contract regardless, as he's been one of the better centers in the NFL in his short career. Sherman is likely going to be a cap-casualty of Seattle's, as they'll find that they can't get rid of his salary. So we scoop him up for a three-year, ten-million-per-year deal. Poe is tricky. I don't know how much he's going to cost. He's had a back and weight issues, so I'd be cautious with a deal. Still, he's perfect for this scheme.)

Still, these are just my thoughts on how this FA period would go if it went my way.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Major Free Agent Signings: Weston Richburg, Richard Sherman, Dontari Poe.

Poe is really interesting. Read somewhere that the Falcons got him to sign up based on selling him how he'd be able to get upfield in their scheme, so of course that same thing would be true with Wade's defense. He'd be a really nice addition as long as they don't care how much dinero that puts into the DL as a whole.

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
We will. Quinn had a number of plays this year where he forced the QB to step up to allow one of our interior DLs to make the play. It's only fair if he gets a few clean-up sacks. He had some very nice rushes and plays over the second half of the year. And he stayed relatively healthy. That was important to me. That's my biggest concern with him.

Simply put, we don't have anyone who can do what Quinn does. Quinn's edge rushing threat forces QBs to step up into Donald's domain and keeps teams from taking a bunch of deep drops against us. I hope that Samson develops into more of an edge threat, but that's not guaranteed.

Not taking sides on this. I am genuinely trying to figure out whether I want to Trade, release, or keep him next season for my next Mock.
Thinking out loud ..... I wonder what would've happened if Longacre and Quinn's roles were reversed ; Longacre a starter and Quinn a back-up. As a backup, Longacre ended up with higher rating than Quinn, per PFF.

I was worried about how to replicate Quinn's production, even though his sack numbers were a little down. I know I want to draft an Edge player to replace Barwin. But, not sure we can afford to put 2 rookies at OLB or even a rookie and a 2nd year player (Samson).

HeiseNBerg

Pro Bowler
Brian Cushing as help in the middle ?

He shouldnt be expensive
I'd be interested in the Rams giving Cushing a shot with a cap-friendly deal. He played well in Wade's system, and it would help shore up the ILB spot.

And even if they DO sign Cushing, I'd still like to see the Rams address the ILB position in the draft.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
Quinn's year makes it difficult for me to judge him. Plus I think the back wasn't 100% yet, hence the babying him reps wise and practice wise this year. His slow start frustrated me. His improvement makes me think he might still have up side because of improved health and familiarity with the system. I don't know details on his cotract,, but if they can double his bonus now and lower his cap hit, I say he is worth keeping. He might be a hard guy to replace. I just don't like dumping guys thinking we can replace. 8.5 sacks is good. By the way, most sacks are effected by the entire defence. The run D is the issue. More beef up the middle please