FA Predictions

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
With FA right around the corner I wanted to take a stab at what we're going to see transpire here shortly. This offseason is enormously important to the team, and while yes all offseasons are important this particular one comes with a lineup of hard decisions that would challenge even the most seasoned GM. Anyway here's a shot at what I think is going to transpire:

TRADE
Robert Quinn

I think Quinn's sack total in the face of his non-fit with this scheme lead to him being moved in trade. There will be a market for him (still young and reasonable sack total), and no we won't get a day one pick for him, but this class is very nice at rush OLB and they will get another pick they can use to address that position. This clears cap space as well, which is important, and adds young legs that can do a better job dropping into coverage to our front seven.

CUTS
Tavon Austin
Mark Barron

I am sure Les is trying to find a trade partner for both during this period leading up to FA, but it's a longshot since teams know both are likely to be cut. Of the two Barron has the most value, in that a 4-3 defense needing a WILL would be an ideal fit and so that might happen, but going to call them both cuts at this juncture because I don't feel like perusing the depth charts of all the 4-3 teams and if we get a pick, well, Les will be able to pat himself on the back because that will be huge.

RE-SIGNS/TENDERS
Aaron Donald
Sammy Watkins
LaMarcus Joyner
Nickell Robey-Coleman
Malcolm Brown
Troy Hill
Matt Longacre

The bottom three are no-brainers as RFAs, all get tendered. Donald has to get done. Watkins is required for at least one season (also bad FA period and weak draft for the position factor in), but I think they agree on a deal for a few years given how much he was open. Joyner is a requirement and insulates them at CB worst-case. NRC is a guy I expect them to get done but he's also a potential "hard choice" since he's primarily a nickel and they have Joyner returning, so if he plays hardball he will be a FA loss.

FA LOSSES
Trumaine Johnson
Connor Barwin
Cody Davis
John Sullivan
Tyrunn Walker
Connor Barwin
Jake McQuaide

Rams are going to need to make some hard calls. They can't bring everyone back, and tbh they shouldn't, as this team was not good enough last year to advance in the playoffs. Of the above Barwin might stick if he elects to sign an affordable deal, same with Sullivan and Davis, but the more of those they do the more they chink away at the FA money that should be reserved for impact players. Rams have been looking at LS through the predraft period, I expect them to address the position through UDFA or late rounds. Lastly, re: Trumaine, if they somehow end up agreeing to a contract with him (longshot but possible) then it likely means NRC will depart in FA.

FA ADDITIONS
Jimmy Graham

I think McVay goes after a TE who can stretch the seam to improve our 12 personnel package, many disagree with me here but it's a big need for adding to the potency of this offense.

Not a fan of this FA CB class and IMO it is best to use a very strong CB draft to replace Trumaine. I think they take one early and maybe one mid to late.

There will be some other FA additions to help address depth chart weaknesses, but I don't expect them to be the kind of signings that will drastically alter needs going into the draft.

DRAFT NEEDS
1. CB (need a CB1)
2. OLB (need a blindside rusher)
3. ILB (need a strongside interior run stuffer)
4. NT (need a run stuffer and space eater minimum)
5. OL (need to add at least a couple guys who can be depth but might have starting future)
6. LS (might be UDFA but they are going to need to bring one in)

PICKS BY ROUND
2 (assuming Quinn nets a round 2 pick)

Stl2La

Hall of Fame
I’ve been thinking that someone like Dion Lewis would be a good fit in McVay’s offense. I know it’s a long shot bc of his price and potential number of suitors but I’m just thinking outside the box here. I know it would be cheaper to find a player in the draft to fit that role too. Don’t expect it to happen but think it would be a nice fit and make this offense that much more dangerous while also adding good RB depth.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
With FA right around the corner I wanted to take a stab at what we're going to see transpire here shortly. This offseason is enormously important to the team, and while yes all offseasons are important this particular one comes with a lineup of hard decisions that would challenge even the most seasoned GM. Anyway here's a shot at what I think is going to transpire:

TRADE
Robert Quinn

I think Quinn's sack total in the face of his non-fit with this scheme lead to him being moved in trade. There will be a market for him (still young and reasonable sack total), and no we won't get a day one pick for him, but this class is very nice at rush OLB and they will get another pick they can use to address that position. This clears cap space as well, which is important, and adds young legs that can do a better job dropping into coverage to our front seven.

CUTS
Tavon Austin
Mark Barron

I am sure Les is trying to find a trade partner for both during this period leading up to FA, but it's a longshot since teams know both are likely to be cut. Of the two Barron has the most value, in that a 4-3 defense needing a WILL would be an ideal fit and so that might happen, but going to call them both cuts at this juncture because I don't feel like perusing the depth charts of all the 4-3 teams and if we get a pick, well, Les will be able to pat himself on the back because that will be huge.

RE-SIGNS/TENDERS
Aaron Donald
Sammy Watkins
LaMarcus Joyner
Nickell Robey-Coleman
Malcolm Brown
Troy Hill
Matt Longacre

The bottom three are no-brainers as RFAs, all get tendered. Donald has to get done. Watkins is required for at least one season (also bad FA period and weak draft for the position factor in), but I think they agree on a deal for a few years given how much he was open. Joyner is a requirement and insulates them at CB worst-case. NRC is a guy I expect them to get done but he's also a potential "hard choice" since he's primarily a nickel and they have Joyner returning, so if he plays hardball he will be a FA loss.

FA LOSSES
Trumaine Johnson
Connor Barwin
Cody Davis
John Sullivan
Tyrunn Walker
Connor Barwin
Jake McQuaide

Rams are going to need to make some hard calls. They can't bring everyone back, and tbh they shouldn't, as this team was not good enough last year to advance in the playoffs. Of the above Barwin might stick if he elects to sign an affordable deal, same with Sullivan and Davis, but the more of those they do the more they chink away at the FA money that should be reserved for impact players. Rams have been looking at LS through the predraft period, I expect them to address the position through UDFA or late rounds. Lastly, re: Trumaine, if they somehow end up agreeing to a contract with him (longshot but possible) then it likely means NRC will depart in FA.

FA ADDITIONS
Jimmy Graham

I think McVay goes after a TE who can stretch the seam to improve our 12 personnel package, many disagree with me here but it's a big need for adding to the potency of this offense.

Not a fan of this FA CB class and IMO it is best to use a very strong CB draft to replace Trumaine. I think they take one early and maybe one mid to late.

There will be some other FA additions to help address depth chart weaknesses, but I don't expect them to be the kind of signings that will drastically alter needs going into the draft.

DRAFT NEEDS
1. CB (need a CB1)
5. OL (need to add at least a couple guys who can be depth but might have starting future)

PICKS BY ROUND

Nice post, Merlin, and I mostly agree.

Couple of different points, though.

I like Sully for a 2 year extension. Maybe around $3 million? Love his experience and football smarts while his eventual replacement is groomed. We ran well up the middle last year and I give Sully lots of the credit.

Why nitpick about a tiny salary bump for McQuaide? A Pro Bowler at LS that never seems to make a mistake? Then turn around and throw $10 million, or more, at Graham? A declining TE when we have a trio of young TE’s in Higbee, Everett, and Hemingway just waiting to blossom under McVay’s tutelage?

I would much rather invest that $10 million in other players at other positions, frankly. Edge, NT, CB, WR (if Watkins walks). Might get 2 other starters for that kind of money, even.

Just spitballin’ here, of course.

99Balloons

Pro Bowler
Name
G

TRADE
Robert Quinn

CUTS
Tavon Austin
Mark Barron

RE-SIGNS/TENDERS
Aaron Donald
Sammy Watkins
LaMarcus Joyner
Nickell Robey-Coleman
Malcolm Brown
Troy Hill
Matt Longacre

FA LOSSES
Trumaine Johnson
Connor Barwin
Cody Davis
John Sullivan
Tyrunn Walker
Connor Barwin
Jake McQuaide

FA ADDITIONS
Jimmy Graham

DRAFT NEEDS
1. CB (need a CB1)

PICKS BY ROUND

I like it. The only TE I'd like the Rams to sign is Trey Burton from the Eagles instead of Jimmy Graham. As for Mark Barron, IDK, may be he was playing injured most of the time. But if Barron's healthy, he seems to make plays at the opportune time.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think we trade Mark Barron to Cleveland (Gregg Williams) and cut Robert Quinn and Tavon Austin.
Let TruJo & Barwin hit the road.
We re-sign
Sullivan
Joyner
Coleman
Watkins
Longacre

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If Quinn nets a 2nd round pick I'd be shocked . More like a 6th

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I like Sully for a 2 year extension. Maybe around $3 million? Love his experience and football smarts while his eventual replacement is groomed. We ran well up the middle last year and I give Sully lots of the credit.

Why nitpick about a tiny salary bump for McQuaide? A Pro Bowler at LS that never seems to make a mistake? Then turn around and throw $10 million, or more, at Graham? A declining TE when we have a trio of young TE’s in Higbee, Everett, and Hemingway just waiting to blossom under McVay’s tutelage?

Good question 43. And tbh I just think it comes down to being frugal in some areas, vice trying to bring everyone back. Making cuts in the JAG types is the way I think they will approach it, and using the money on impact players is the preferred way for a successful team vice throwing money at dudes who either don't deserve it or are easily replaceable.

I'm probably the only one seeing Sully as a departure in FA. At least that I can think of. But I think they need to start planning now on moves on the OL that factor in three free agents in 2019 and Whitworth a year older. Stringing Sully along doesn't really do that. We have Blythe under contract for the next couple seasons, he's played well in stints for us, give him a shot and save the cash while you draft a couple linemen for depth at the least.

Re: McQuaide let the dude go get a nice payday. But that's an area you can save cap money. The more disciplined they are on that, the more they'll have available for, once again, the impact types.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If Quinn nets a 2nd round pick I'd be shocked . More like a 6th

Sixth round pick for a proven 4-3 DE who is 26 and is coming off a season with 8.5 sacks? I think you're being a little extreme there. But you're right in that he might not bring a 2nd round pick in this particular draft, so there's that. I don't know, maybe 3rd round is most applicable, but again if you're talking a team that fits him, where he can rush every down, you're getting a 10 sack player which isn't something to disregard. What will kill his value is the injury history, but him playing the entire season in 2017 is a nice boost to his value.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Sixth round pick for a proven 4-3 DE who is 26 and is coming off a season with 8.5 sacks? I think you're being a little extreme there. But you're right in that he might not bring a 2nd round pick in this particular draft, so there's that. I don't know, maybe 3rd round is most applicable, but again if you're talking a team that fits him, where he can rush every down, you're getting a 10 sack player which isn't something to disregard. What will kill his value is the injury history, but him playing the entire season in 2017 is a nice boost to his value.
JMHO But! I think a lot of players on the Rams "D" took some time to get use to Wade's scheme, Quinn was really coming on in the Last half of the Season, and I like what Barron Brings to the Team. I personally don't want to see either one leave the Team!

FA LOSSES
Trumaine Johnson
Connor Barwin
Cody Davis
John Sullivan
Tyrunn Walker
Connor Barwin
Jake McQuaide
When it comes right-down-to-it, I don't want to lose any of these Players! But I realize that may not be practical!
In a lot of ways, who we keep, and who we go after in the FA Market, and the 1st round of the Draft will be very nerve-racking!
"BUT!!!" For once!! I really trust our FO and Coaches to "Do-The-Right-Thing!!!"(y)(y):yess:

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Honestly he had about 3 good games , and his salary goes along with that trade . I always liked Quinn , but he's a one move DE and most teams have figured him out . He runs himself out of 90% of plays , and spends a lot of time on the ground . JMHO

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Honestly he had about 3 good games , and his salary goes along with that trade . I always liked Quinn , but he's a one move DE and most teams have figured him out . He runs himself out of 90% of plays , and spends a lot of time on the ground . JMHO

In a 4-3 he's going to rush the edge every play. That's what he does best. The fact that he got 8.5 sacks in a scheme where he's got more responsibility plays in the Rams' favor.

4-3 base defense teams are going to be interested in him. Question is his medical side, the other team will nuke the F out of his physical.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott

Could be a case of the Rams throwing in a 6th to get a 3rd for Quinn. Maybe the same for Barron, chip in a 6th and Barron to get a 4th. Just a thought. They have three 6th's, so worse case use those to move up.

Would be thrilled to have two 3rds and two 4ths in this draft.

fearsomefour

Legend
IF I wanted to Trade Quinn, which I don't, I wouldn't take less than a 3rd for him! JMO
If you know you are moving on from him and the best offer was a 4th or 5th rounder, you would take that.
A team would be taking in a big salary and an injury history....they are not going to give up a high pick as well.
I personally don't think anyone will trade for him knowing if he is being shopped he is a likely cut and because of the injury issues.

nighttrain

Legend
In a 4-3 he's going to rush the edge every play. That's what he does best. The fact that he got 8.5 sacks in a scheme where he's got more responsibility plays in the Rams' favor.

4-3 base defense teams are going to be interested in him. Question is his medical side, the other team will nuke the F out of his physical.
Quinn gonna be 28 this year, not 26
train

Zodi

Hall of Fame
Sixth round pick for a proven 4-3 DE who is 26 and is coming off a season with 8.5 sacks? I think you're being a little extreme there. But you're right in that he might not bring a 2nd round pick in this particular draft, so there's that. I don't know, maybe 3rd round is most applicable, but again if you're talking a team that fits him, where he can rush every down, you're getting a 10 sack player which isn't something to disregard.

Quinn is 27, turning 28, and he hasn't posted 10 sacks since 2014. Also, who in the hell is going to trade for Quinn @ nearly $13 mil for the next two seasons?

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
In a 4-3 he's going to rush the edge every play. That's what he does best. The fact that he got 8.5 sacks in a scheme where he's got more responsibility plays in the Rams' favor.4-3 base defense teams are going to be interested in him. Question is his medical side, the other team will nuke the F out of his physical.
I feel strongly that 43 D's would be highly interested in a Rob Quinn if they have weak pass rushing DE's currently. I keep pointing this fact out in this forum & suggest that many members take the time to review the 2017 games for yourselves...that Quinn sacks & serious disruptive plays came when Wade called for four DL'ers to be in his 4 down linemen alignment where Brockers/Donald took up the two inside DT posts & Quinn & Barwin were down in the 3 pts stance at the ends. This four player line was a outstanding rush line. Here where Quinn got most of those sack forced fumbles & pressures. It was not when he was playing the standard 34 D @ OSLB'er.