FA Predictions

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ArkyRamsFan

Pro Bowler
Could be a case of the Rams throwing in a 6th to get a 3rd for Quinn. Maybe the same for Barron, chip in a 6th and Barron to get a 4th. Just a thought. They have three 6th's, so worse case use those to move up.

Would be thrilled to have two 3rds and two 4ths in this draft.
PhillyRam,
I like the way you think. This would be a very doable and yet profitable scenario for our Rams.
As Capt. Picard used to say, "Make it happen, Number One."

~ArkyRamsFan~

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
IF I wanted to Trade Quinn, which I don't, I wouldn't take less than a 3rd for him! JMO

But what about his contract ? The decision that are going to be made are going to be cap based.
Just as have said about the TE position.They are not going to add a FA to an ascending postion. When The Rams didn’t pick up a TE last season, it was a 90% chance they drafting one with there 2nd rd pick.
The beauty was they also got JJohnson & Everett whom McVay really liked. There is no way he is going to have Everett become a bust.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
lol there is no way we are fetching anything higher than a third AT BEST for Quinn

Watching the Falcons game, Collinsworth stated that it’s already been established Robert Quinn was a one step .

I think Robert Quinn has a lot of good football left in him. Chris Long just one back to back Super Bowls. Quinn has a lot more talent.

Ram65

Legend
TRADE
Robert Quinn

2 (assuming Quinn nets a round 2 pick)

Quinn;s grade on PFF was 58.8 poor.
https://www.profootballfocus.com/nfl/players/robert-quinn/6166

Sure he is a 4-3 DE not a 3-4 OSLBer but, he was rushing a lot with his hand down. I don't see him getting the Ram's 2nd rounder. Someone will have to pay Quinn's $10,333,301 Salary and Roster Bonus of $1,111,111 if traded. Dead money is only $955,354 traded or cut. I would listen to all the trades. At this point if traded the Rams would have to replace him. With everything else going on that maybe hard to do. It's a classic catch 22 and it could depend on trade offers.

CUTS
Tavon Austin
Mark Barron

Austin is gone. Outside chance they keep him for 3 Mil but, I doubt it.

Barron is close but different than Quinn. The big question is can he hold up. If the Rams think he is healthy enough for one more season than keep him. Who replaces him if cut or traded? If Barron is healthy I keep him unless they have a plan to replace him via FA/Draft

RE-SIGNS/TENDERS
Aaron Donald
Sammy Watkins
LaMarcus Joyner
Nickell Robey-Coleman
Malcolm Brown
Troy Hill
Matt Longacre

FA LOSSES
Trumaine Johnson
Connor Barwin
Cody Davis
John Sullivan
Tyrunn Walker
Connor Barwin
Jake McQuaide

Keep Sullivan who was rated the 10th best Center by PFF. Two years is good at 5 Million or so. I read yesterday he was the second highest rated OC in Free Agency.

On McQuaide it depends. He has been the best so saving some money could bite the Rams in the ass. I think they had another long snapper around last year so it possible.

FA ADDITIONS
Jimmy Graham

I was for this move. I don't think JG gets that 10 Million a year contract that some think. Depends on if Watkins resigns and for how much. I expect the Rams to do something unexpected and this would qualify as that. Having Graham gives another option defenses have to think about. It's interesting to think about it.

DRAFT NEEDS
1. CB (need a CB1)
2. OLB (need a blindside rusher)
3. ILB (need a strongside interior run stuffer)
4. NT (need a run stuffer and space eater minimum)
5. OL (need to add at least a couple guys who can be depth but might have starting future)
6. LS (might be UDFA but they are going to need to bring one in)

It's going to be a process. Who will the Rams resign is the first order. After that it would be free agents and then the draft. Decisions on Quinn and Barron will have a big impact on the entire process.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Quinn;s grade on PFF was 58.8 poor.

Sure he is a 4-3 DE not a 3-4 OSLBer but, he was rushing a lot with his hand down. I don't see him getting the Ram's 2nd rounder. Someone will have to pay Quinn's $10,333,301 Salary and Roster Bonus of $1,111,111 if traded. Dead money is only $955,354 traded or cut. I would listen to all the trades. At this point if traded the Rams would have to replace him. With everything else going on that maybe hard to do. It's a classic catch 22 and it could depend on trade offers.

I'm not a big fan of PFF. Their grading is skewed as F.

Quinn is really a business type decision for the Rams. He might get better in a 3-4 in year two in the scheme and thus have the most value for the Rams, just comes down to what teams offer in trade. None of us know what the highest offer will be, so it's all spitballin here. I will say that if I don't get a round 3 or higher for him the appeal of moving him diminishes greatly.

But also I think people need to take a look at the FA list of DEs. Quinn is a legitimate avenue for filling a blindside 4-3 DE starting role, is a pass rusher in his prime, and the value of that position and function is coveted in the league. If the Rams were running a 4-3 we wouldn't be having this conversation, the scheme really does impact him in particular. He is a guy who can go off in any given game if he's rushing every down, so going to disagree with most here in terms of his value. As I mentioned above in another post we might not get a round 2 for him, but I think going the other way like he has no value or mid to late round value will probably end up being just as wrong.

Guess we'll find out here pretty soon though, as we should start seeing some pre-FA period moves get done and if the market is there for him I doubt Les hesitates. If the Rams keep him it will be because the offers didn't come with enough draft capital, or didn't come period, but I doubt that happens.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
Didn't want to start it's own thread but there are several reports the Giants are going hard and heavy for Andrew Norwell. It's being reported the Giants mean to make him the highest paid Guard in the league. Just for reference in 2018 Zeitler will have a cap hit of $12.4 million and a base salary of $10 million. Anybody thinking we get him this off season might need to restructure their plans.

https://247sports.com/nfl/new-york-...s-highest-paid-guard-in-free-agency-115203114

As for my free agency plan I'm not signing a Tight End. I'm not giving up on last years 2nd round pick and the previous years 4th round pick. And no don't tell me we'll use them all it still takes away from their snaps. People vastly underrate Higbee's blocking and don't seem to remember Everett flashing big play ability. They simply need to grow and continue to develop with our coaching staff.

For our free agents I'm resigning Joyner for $9-10 a year, mostly so I can listen to Champ cry about him being short for the next 5 years.

Resigning Jake McQuaide because you don't mess with the best punter and kicker in the league and to keep our special teams leading the league signing him to a contract for $1-1.25 million a year is well worth it.

Resigning NRC it's probably going to take 4 years $12-15 million. He's a great slot corner and I don't have TruJo coming back so some continuity back there is important. Having a solid slot guy allows us to keep Joyner in the FS role so it's a double win.

I'm bringing back Lucas to compete at swing tackle.

I'm tendering Longacre, Brown, Ficken, Hill and Neary.

Outside free agents I'm signing Talib (or trading for him). He'll start opposite likely a rookie and NRC in the slot.

Most all of us have been on the Todd Davis train but a couple other possibilities are Demario Davis, Zach Brown and Avery Williamson.

At NT some think Star Lotuleli is an option but he's going to take about $8-9 million a year which just isn't realistic. Instead Ellis from the Raiders has been mentioned and another name is DaQuan Jones coming off a torn bicep from the Titans. Also I wouldn't mind poaching from Arizona with Xavier Williams.

Just a few thoughts, don't want to do too much here I'm working on a 3rd mock.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
But what about his contract ? The decision that are going to be made are going to be cap based.
Just as have said about the TE position.They are not going to add a FA to an ascending postion. When The Rams didn’t pick up a TE last season, it was a 90% chance they drafting one with there 2nd rd pick.
The beauty was they also got JJohnson & Everett whom McVay really liked. There is no way he is going to have Everett become a bust.
Contracts get re-done all the Time, Quinn's could be too!(y);)

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Didn't want to start it's own thread but there are several reports the Giants are going hard and heavy for Andrew Norwell. It's being reported the Giants mean to make him the highest paid Guard in the league. Just for reference in 2018 Zeitler will have a cap hit of $12.4 million and a base salary of $10 million. Anybody thinking we get him this off season might need to restructure their plans.

Norwell's gonna be fun to watch when FA starts. I don't know that I'd be willing to sign with the Gints if I'm the top FA in any category, even if they offer the most money, but hey to each his own. I doubt he's on the Rams' list with all their re-sign requirements, but never know they might chase him for a day or two before the price tag makes them drop out.

I'd have to think if they do make an OL move it would be to extend Hav, who is a solid RT with upside and many good years ahead. But they might opt for Brown, even though he made more mistakes to my eye at least. I seriously doubt Saff is in the mix, as the Rams might need to lock up LT in the FA market and can't afford to get silly with him.

If they wait, well, that's understandable too. Paying guys "before they splash" hasn't exactly paid off for the team in past years with Tavon looking like an enormous mistake. So I think the mid to late round slots in the draft will be very OL heavy.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Which is why they might get a 4th. He’s a 1 trick pony who’s injury prone and paid quite a bit

He is 27 years old, recorded 9.5 sacks in 2017, and only costs $23 million over the next 2 years. They'll get better than a 4th if they consider trading him. The Seahawks traded Jermaine Kearse and a 2nd for Sheldon Richardson just this year. This is despite the fact that Richardson is only 6 months younger than Quinn, is about to hit FA, has been a pain in the ass off the field and in the locker-room, and has seen his pass rushing production steadily drop.

jap

Legend
Re: McQuaide let the dude go get a nice payday. But that's an area you can save cap money. The more disciplined they are on that, the more they'll have available for, once again, the impact types.

The reason we have Jake at long snapper is because we allowed a Pro Bowl caliber long snapper to walk so Jake could take over that role. You have to count the beans at times and decide how much you are willing to spend maximum on certain positions.

Last edited:

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He is 27 years old, recorded 9.5 sacks in 2017, and only costs $23 million over the next 2 years. They'll get better than a 4th if they consider trading him. The Seahawks traded Jermaine Kearse and a 2nd for Sheldon Richardson just this year. This is despite the fact that Richardson is only 6 months younger than Quinn, is about to hit FA, has been a pain in the ass off the field and in the locker-room, and has seen his pass rushing production steadily drop.
8.5 sacks, and he’ll be 28. And an old 28 at that considering his injury history. Quinn was worthless for over half the season and rang up half his sacks late against worn out olines of Arizona and Seattle.
Better chance Quinn gets cut or possibly restructured. A 2nd round pick? I’d love it but it will never happen.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
8.5 sacks, and he’ll be 28. And an old 28 at that considering his injury history. Quinn was worthless for over half the season and rang up half his sacks late against worn out olines of Arizona and Seattle.
Better chance Quinn gets cut or possibly restructured. A 2nd round pick? I’d love it but it will never happen.

9.5 sacks. He missed at least one game, but he played against the Falcons and recorded a sack. That's 9.5 sacks in 16 games.

Quinn was adjusting to a new scheme and a new position. The fact that he recorded 7 sacks in his final 8 games isn't a negative in my book.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
9.5 sacks. He missed at least one game, but he played against the Falcons and recorded a sack. That's 9.5 sacks in 16 games.

Quinn was adjusting to a new scheme and a new position. The fact that he recorded 7 sacks in his final 8 games isn't a negative in my book.
Oh stop. He had 8.5 sacks in the season.
By your logic Gurley won the rushing title? I just checked, it’s still credited to Hunt.
Not to mention, Quinn’s sack in the playoffs is a joke, Ryan slipped and tripped over his own dam feet

jap

Legend
You know, the NFL does keep stats on things like sacks. There is no need for arguing over something that can be easily researched.

As it is, Robert Quinn had 21 solo tackles, with 11 assists (32 combined), 8.5 sacks and 2 forced fumbles in 2017. However, he clearly did come on towards the latter half of the season. Whether that's enough to impress the SonOfBum is another matter. Wade should have all the needed info on Robert's health issues and other related matters to make an informed decision. Robert appears to have lost a step or two. He used to be the NFL's fastest at turning the corner. Now he has been downgraded to just fast.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Oh stop. He had 8.5 sacks in the season.
By your logic Gurley won the rushing title? I just checked, it’s still credited to Hunt.
Not to mention, Quinn’s sack in the playoffs is a joke, Ryan slipped and tripped over his own dam feet

9.5 sacks in 16 games. Feel free to count. Gurley rushed for 1406 yards over 16 games. Or do we not count playoff stats? I guess stats against top teams should be ignored.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
9.5 sacks in 16 games. Feel free to count. Gurley rushed for 1406 yards over 16 games. Or do we not count playoff stats? I guess stats against top teams should be ignored.

You shouldn't count playoff stats when comparing season totals because most teams aren't in the playoffs. And even though you didn't specifically compare Gurley or Quinn to anyone, stats are still a gauge for comparison to players of the same position in the league. So it's comparison by default.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You shouldn't count playoff stats when comparing season totals because most teams aren't in the playoffs. And even though you didn't specifically compare Gurley or Quinn to anyone, stats are still a gauge for comparison to players of the same position in the league. So it's comparison by default.

You should when Quinn and Gurley were deprived of their 16th game because we were resting starters. If anything, the Falcons were a tougher match-up than they would have gotten with SF. Normally, you don't compare totals because playing extra games isn't fair. This time, it is fair because Quinn and Gurley both only played 16 games with the playoff game counted. Saying that Quinn had 9.5 sacks in 16 games is a fact.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Just ridiculous. It’s disingenous. You are so much better than this. Is Gurley the rushing champ or not? No.
Quinn had 8.5 sacks in the 2017 season. Had Goff thrown a couple of pics, I am certain that wouldn’t be included.
Whatever. If he gets traded for a 2nd, I’d be thrilled and proven wrong. When he doesn’t....