FA Predictions

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You shouldn't count playoff stats when comparing season totals because most teams aren't in the playoffs. And even though you didn't specifically compare Gurley or Quinn to anyone, stats are still a gauge for comparison to players of the same position in the league. So it's comparison by default.
Of course you shouldn’t. Only reason it’s being included is because he had a phantom sack in that game. When speaking of Goff for instance, his season statistics will be used sans the low ypa/comp %/passer rating from that playoff game

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
Oh stop. He had 8.5 sacks in the season.
By your logic Gurley won the rushing title? I just checked, it’s still credited to Hunt.
Not to mention, Quinn’s sack in the playoffs is a joke, Ryan slipped and tripped over his own dam feet

I think most defenders have a sack that was caused by a qb slipping or scrambling in the wrong direction. most have a joke sack or two but they still count. main thing is he was showing improvement as the year went on. we could use our first round pick on a edge rusher who could be a bust.after all we did pick gr and ta with our first round picks

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think most defenders have a sack that was caused by a qb slipping or scrambling in the wrong direction. most have a joke sack or two but they still count. main thing is he was showing improvement as the year went on. we could use our first round pick on a edge rusher who could be a bust.after all we did pick gr and ta with our first round picks
That phantom sack was emblematic of Quinn in that game. He was utterly ineffective in the 2nd half, no pressure and Ryan picked the D apart. His flaws were more on display in that game and to look back on it as some sort of success because he had a sack is just not accurate.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
That phantom sack was emblematic of Quinn in that game. He was utterly ineffective in the 2nd half, no pressure and Ryan picked the D apart. His flaws were more on display in that game and to look back on it as some sort of success because he had a sack is just not accurate.

That’s just it. 8.5 sacks.... 9.5 sacks.... or 4 sacks. It doesn’t matter. His overall game is the evaluation. We know this. The Rams know this.

In the past, guys like Quinn were never much at risk. Chris Long, James Laurenitus... they were our top players and we paid to keep them. Not much of a debate. Painful to admit, but we didn’t have a lot of guys vying for big contract space.

Today?

There are more players to consider in that “keep category” and that means we have to choose who to keep and who to let go.

I think Quinn is very much at risk.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
That’s just it. 8.5 sacks.... 9.5 sacks.... or 4 sacks. It doesn’t matter. His overall game is the evaluation. We know this. The Rams know this.

In the past, guys like Quinn were never much at risk. Chris Long, James Laurenitus... they were our top players and we paid to keep them. Not much of a debate. Painful to admit, but we didn’t have a lot of guys vying for big contract space.

Today?

There are more players to consider in that “keep category” and that means we have to choose who to keep and who to let go.

Especially since Wade does not do not have a starting defensive post in his base defense scheme that would permit the Rams highest paid defensive player Rob Quinn (12.4 million) to maximized his best skills & talents on a regular basis.

pmil66

Starter
Name
pmil
At this time of year teams look at a players contract and his production. Is that player worth what is going to be paid going forward, and is another player available better. Or is a player currently on the team ready to step up into a starting job. Rams are without a 2nd rounder, that may factor into the discussion too. Rams are set up pretty good in available salary cap space, so that may not be a question, however if Watkins or Joyner want a bit more than the Rams want to pay, that could come into play. Im sure there are some discussions going on about Quinn.

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
That phantom sack was emblematic of Quinn in that game. He was utterly ineffective in the 2nd half, no pressure and Ryan picked the D apart.

wow! you make it sound like no pressure was all quinns fault (i'm sure you didn't mean it that way) but still you can't just blame Quinn for no pressure. my point is Quinn was improving as the season went on and if that trend keeps going I would expect 12 or 13 sacks next year. even if some of those are phantom sacks that's more then I would expect out of a draft pick

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
wow! you make it sound like no pressure was all quinns fault (i'm sure you didn't mean it that way) but still you can't just blame Quinn for no pressure. my point is Quinn was improving as the season went on and if that trend keeps going I would expect 12 or 13 sacks next year. even if some of those are phantom sacks that's more then I would expect out of a draft pick
No I did mean it that way, I hold Quinn accountable for Quinn’s poor play. If he’s getting paid 12+ mill, like a premier edge rusher, I would expect more than getting chipped outside like he did most of the season. I’d like Quinn back on a restructured deal because on a rotational basis he could pay dividends. And back to the point, I don’t see a team offering a premium draft pick for a player facing restructure/being cut

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
And back to the point, I don’t see a team offering a premium draft pick for a player facing restructure/being cut

I guess the hole thing is you think Quinn will be restructure or cut and I think he will be brought back on current contract. I guess we will just have to wait and see. god off seasons are just to long.

Ram65

Legend
8.5 sacks, and he’ll be 28. And an old 28 at that considering his injury history. Quinn was worthless for over half the season and rang up half his sacks late against worn out olines of Arizona and Seattle.
Better chance Quinn gets cut or possibly restructured. A 2nd round pick? I’d love it but it will never happen.

Quinn failed the "eyeball" test this year. Week after week I and others kept looking to see if he could turn the corner both literally and figuratively speaking. He never really except against depleted/bad offensive lines late in the year. He ran himself past the QB unable to cut under the OT, his main move, time after time.

The funny thing is there are not many alternatives in free agency. I don't think they get a 2nd rounder either. I'll post a cheaper alternative.

Last edited:

Ram65

Legend
Here is a cheaper alternative that got me thinking even a 3d round pick would be worth it. They both play on the same side.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-him-test-free-agency/?utm_term=.55f2391f1bef
D.C. Sports Bog
‘I consider myself elite’: Pass rusher Junior Galette expects Redskins to let him test free agency

By Scott Allen February 15 Email the author
Galette told 106.7 The Fan’s Danny Rouhier and Craig Hoffman this week. “But speaking to my agent, Drew Rosenhaus … he just basically said they’re pretty much gonna let me test free agency, because I’m pretty sure that if it was the other way around, I think they would have offered me a deal and nothing has been offered. There’s nothing else left for me to believe but they want me to test free agency.”

The Redskins took a chance on Galette during the 2015 offseason, signing him for the league minimum after New Orleans released him because of his off-field troubles, including a domestic violence charge that was later dismissed. Galette’s regular season debut with the Redskins was delayed two years after he suffered season-ending Achilles’ injuries in consecutive summers. After registering 22 sacks over his final two years with the Saints, Galette had three sacks in 16 games for Washington last season.

Galette, 29, told 106.7 The Fan he still has a lot left in the tank and that his sack total last season didn’t tell the entire story of his effectiveness. Rouhier mentioned a recent tweet from NFL.com’s Matt Harmon, who shared the top 12 pass-rushers in 2017 based on pressure rate among players who had at least 200 pass-rush plays. Redskins linebacker Preston Smith, who had eight sacks last season, ranked first at 15.9 percent. Galette ranked third at 15.1 percent. Ryan Kerrigan, who led Washington with 13 sacks, ranked 10th (13.4 percent).

View image on Twitter

“I consider myself elite,” Galette said. “You look at the numbers, it is what it is. I don’t care what you tell me. I had back-to-back [double-digit sack years] in New Orleans. I think only four players were during that span and I was on pace, had a promising career. I still do, I feel like, but pass rush is so relative. There are so many things and other variables that play into pass rush, so if you just look at my [stats] and it says that I’m top-three in the win percentage and the sacks don’t match, okay, so you look at the tape and you’re like, ‘Wait, how come the sacks don’t match?’ Well, maybe this guy deserves more playing time. If you give me more playing time, that’s how it works. In ’13, I had I think 800 snaps in New Orleans, in ’14 I think I had 750. In both those years, [I had] double-digit sacks. It just is what it is. That’s just how pass-rush goes. You need the opportunities. If I had made all the sacks that I missed — about eight or nine this year — I’d have double-digit sacks, but that’s almost impossible to do. … I feel like as long as you’re disrupting the quarterback, then you show that you’re really effective in just how promising that you are with getting after the quarterback.”

Galette played 411 defensive snaps last season, according to Football Outsiders. Kerrigan and Smith played 822 and 756, respectively. Ryan Anderson, who will almost certainly factor more into Washington’s defensive game plans next season, played 195 defensive snaps as a rookie. Galette said he remains “really thankful” that former Redskins general manager Scot McCloughan gave him an opportunity in 2015 and then brought him back on one-year deals in each of the last two seasons.

“I think it’s a great organization on the come-up,” Galette said. “I feel like they made a strong move in getting a quarterback in Alex Smith, and getting somebody at that position that’s just definite, having someone stable there as opposed to just the going back and forth. I think it’s a pretty good thing for the team in general. The Redskins are headed in the right direction, I want to be here, but like I said, it’s not up to me.”

Returning to Washington, Galette said, would “of course” be his first choice.

“We just have to wait and kind of see,” Galette said. “… I see a lot of fans on my social media, like, ‘Hey, you’ve gotta stick with the Redskins. Go sign your deal.’ I’m like, ‘Dude, there’s no offer on the table.’ I can’t just pick up a pen. It doesn’t work like that.”

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
This is. Quinn failed the "eyeball" test this year. Week after week I and others kept looking to see if he could turn the corner both literally and figuratively speaking. He never really except against depleted/bad offensive lines late in the year. He ran himself past the QB unable to cut under the OT, his main move, time after time.The funny thing is there are not many alternatives in free agency.
Maybe the Rams Org should be looking towards getting Quinn better help around him.

The two closest players to Quinn just might be legit overrated slackers.
...one Ram who plays closest to Quinn directly to Quinn's left (Aaron Donald) & the LB usually behind him Quinn behind back to Quinn left (Mark Barron) ....need to be looked at more closely to see if they are carrying their loads to help Quinn look good;).

Last edited:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Just ridiculous. It’s disingenous. You are so much better than this. Is Gurley the rushing champ or not? No.
Quinn had 8.5 sacks in the 2017 season. Had Goff thrown a couple of pics, I am certain that wouldn’t be included.
Whatever. If he gets traded for a 2nd, I’d be thrilled and proven wrong. When he doesn’t....

I didn't realize I was on SandbagtheRamsonDemand. It's weird that you're so bothered by me speaking a fact. Robert Quinn had 9.5 sacks in 16 games during 2017. Last I checked, it's harder, not easier, to rack up stats in playoff games.

As for whether Gurley is the rushing champ, in my book, he is. In the NFL's book, he isn't. They only count stats during the regular season because it's a regular season award, and Andy Reid gave Hunt enough carries in Week 17 to steal the rushing title from Gurley. But Gurley still ran for more yards in one less game than Hunt.

It's not disingenuous. It's a fact. It's a fact that seems to bother you because you want to undersell how Quinn played over the second half of the season. I'd rather keep Quinn another year, but if we get a great offer, I'd consider it.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Quinn failed the "eyeball" test this year. Week after week I and others kept looking to see if he could turn the corner both literally and figuratively speaking. He never really except against depleted/bad offensive lines late in the year. He ran himself past the QB unable to cut under the OT, his main move, time after time.

The funny thing is there are not many alternatives in free agency. I don't think they get a 2nd rounder either. I'll post a cheaper alternative.

I disagree. Quinn failed the eyeball test over the first 8 weeks and passed it with flying colors over the last 8 weeks. He was much better against the run and more of a force as a pass rusher. And it wasn't because of the OLs we faced. It was likely a combination of distance from his injuries and familiarity with a completely new scheme and completely new responsibilities. I'm wary of the injuries, but if we're strictly talking about play, I'd keep Quinn around.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
I disagree. Quinn failed the eyeball test over the first 8 weeks and passed it with flying colors over the last 8 weeks. He was much better against the run and more of a force as a pass rusher. And it wasn't because of the OLs we faced. It was likely a combination of distance from his injuries and familiarity with a completely new scheme and completely new responsibilities. I'm wary of the injuries, but if we're strictly talking about play, I'd keep Quinn around.
Booml
I cannot AGREE with this more, I’ve seriously had my fill of the apparent Robert Quinn bashing, those that know...know, those that don’t, carry on with your nonsense

I bet that “all pro” LT for Seattle hopes the Rams dump Quinn

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

He is but what is important in this discussion is that the reason for him being at risk is the scheme that he struggled in. The fact that he is still in his prime, played a full season without injury, that he racked up a good sack total, and that he improved as the year progressed in that new scheme demonstrate why he will have value around the league. In some of these posts I think that is being overlooked.

“We just have to wait and kind of see,” Galette said. “… I see a lot of fans on my social media, like, ‘Hey, you’ve gotta stick with the Redskins. Go sign your deal.’ I’m like, ‘Dude, there’s no offer on the table.’ I can’t just pick up a pen. It doesn’t work like that.”

Gallette is a perfect example of why filling DE through FA is a bad idea. Some team is going to pay him way more than they should. It's also an example of how badly teams need pass rushers, and why Quinn will have more value than many here think IMO.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I didn't realize I was on SandbagtheRamsonDemand. It's weird that you're so bothered by me speaking a fact. Robert Quinn had 9.5 sacks in 16 games during 2017. Last I checked, it's harder, not easier, to rack up stats in playoff games.

As for whether Gurley is the rushing champ, in my book, he is. In the NFL's book, he isn't. They only count stats during the regular season because it's a regular season award, and Andy Reid gave Hunt enough carries in Week 17 to steal the rushing title from Gurley. But Gurley still ran for more yards in one less game than Hunt.

It's not disingenuous. It's a fact. It's a fact that seems to bother you because you want to undersell how Quinn played over the second half of the season. I'd rather keep Quinn another year, but if we get a great offer, I'd consider it.
I’m not underselling it, I’m not fabricating history to fit the course. I guess we can revisit this when you adjust Goffs season stats to include his sub par game against Atlanta.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
How many registered more than 8.5? That is the point right?