Ex-Rams coach Jeff Fisher eager for another NFL head coaching opportunity -

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
People like to bash Fisher - and deservedly so - but he did have some positive qualities. He brought the team back to respectability from total disarray. He did a good job of putting talent on the roster, too. The cupboard was hardly bare for McVay when he arrived.

The Browns already have Greg Williams. The two work well together. Fisher is also one of the only coaches Kelly Britt seems to be able to produce under. He might not be a bad fit.

I'd still pass though if I was Clevland. Why not try and find a coach that can make you great, as opposed to one that can get you to .500 with an awful offence and a roster that and perennially underachieves considering its talent level?

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
It's pointless to lay out in a lecture or essay ... And definitely wasn't all to Snead'credit. They were a combo sometimes it worked sometimes not. Look around the league. Fisher departed after leaving quite a bit of impactful very talented players. Many of which are starting to shine now in their tenured years. Whatever he said or affected toward LaMarcus Joyner had a lasting effect. It's all good we got Phillips now and that secondary coach upcoming talent from the Broncos too. In the end. Fisher didn't leave us in the ditch with trash. IMO. In the end can't most just be happy we're fucking 9-3 currently winning season first since 2003. Damn I was 23. I still believe Fisher was a good portion responsible for the Goff trade. As far as developing we saw the truth. In return McVay wouldn't be an option. It's awesome seeing so many succeed to the team as a whole. I hope Jeff is stream fishing daily steps away from his Montana cabin sanctuary. We're all human in all facets.

Last edited:

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I said on another site if a team hires him it would have to have a strong GM that knew he was in charge. Fisher would have input but not control of player/personnel. And you'd have to force an OC on him. If you can make that list happen best of luck to you and to Fisher.

I just can't see him going for that. His ego is just too big.

Either, in a leadership position, you use information to adapt, grow, change and improve...OR... you cherry pick information in order to bolster your dogma and build your defenses. None of the latter do much for the bottom line...as we saw.

Perfect synopsis. With respect to the modern NFL passing offense, he just never adapted, never adjusted, never learned from what wasn't working, never did any introspection. He just dogmatically stuck with what he wanted to do, with the passing offense being viewed only as a means to aid the running game, but never as a means in and of itself. That just doesn't cut it in this day and age. Plus, when you look at the assortment of pass catchers he brought in here, he just never seemed to have any kind of coherent vision for the passing offense. And in this day and age, that will kill you.

It ain't 1998 anymore, and you can't put everything on the back of Eddie George anymore either.

Lets see, Grob is a free agent, Keenum and Bradford will be free agents, could trade a draft pick for Tavon. Put the band back together. Fish is one of the few that has gotten paid so much to accomplish so little. Kudos to him.

Keenum, hopefully, would have nothing to do with him, and instead would go somewhere that he would have a competent offensive staff. Given the way he's playing, I'm thinking the Vikings should do their best to hold onto him. At worst, he's proven to be an extremely valuable backup who can play in Pat Shurmur's system.

And again, props to Shurmur for having the ability to adapt and grow. He wasn't a good OC when he was with the Rams, and there were a lot of the same complaints about him with the Browns. He obviously learned something under Chip Kelly and later under Norv Turner.

Do you guys really think he would make the same mistake again and pick up a bunch of retreads from his last team?

After all the ex-Titans that ended up in horns, yeah, I could see it.

--------------------------

At the end of the day, I think Fish has had his shot. He spent something like 20 years as a head coach, and his unwillingness to adapt his philosophy during his last 5 years, with the Rams, should tell you all you need to know. He is what he is, and he's not going to change. A good owner should look elsewhere, and Fish should simply enjoy his retirement.