Early look at WR depth chart

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Good reasoning. I think the battle is between Quick/Marquez/Cunningham and the three UDFA receivers, North/Spruce/McRoberts. Fisher always says it is more about the best 53 than it is about grouping numbers.. to some extent anyway.

And then Cunningham and another WR would be inactive on game day?

I'll bet my bottom dollar that Cunningham makes this team and is active on game days. If anything, I think it's more likely that Tre Mason is inactive. Mason's had a terrible off-season and doesn't have a role like Cunningham does. Cunningham is still our best kick returner until proven otherwise and is a quality 3rd down HB. He also was more effective than Mason last year running the ball. Cunningham fits three key roles. He returns kicks, he plays special teams, and he operates as the 3rd down back.(I'd say he's one of the best pass protecting HBs in the NFL) That makes him valuable to us. He's a key role player.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'll bet my bottom dollar that Cunningham makes this team and is active on game days. If anything, I think it's more likely that Tre Mason is inactive. Mason's had a terrible off-season and doesn't have a role like Cunningham does. Cunningham is still our best kick returner until proven otherwise and is a quality 3rd down HB. He also was more effective than Mason last year running the ball. Cunningham fits three key roles. He returns kicks, he plays special teams, and he operates as the 3rd down back.(I'd say he's one of the best pass protecting HBs in the NFL) That makes him valuable to us. He's a key role player.

I agree. Was referring to Justice Cunningham who has stayed on the roster apparently for his blocking ability.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

Sorry I meant Justice Cunningham. I am a big Benni fan and don't think he is going anywhere.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Last year, they limited his play and targets him because of the 2014 injury.

I don't think the reason he was a ghost all season was ever confirmed. According to Fisher, he was fully recovered and game ready in TC.

Personally, I think his issues aren't injury related and he won't make the final cut. As it sits, rookies being unknowns, I'd take Marquez over Quick if he doesn't look vastly improved.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Quick looked a lot better at the end of the season.

Yes, 33% better. He went from 4 receptions to 6. He had a total of 2 games all season with more than 1 catch.

We can't blame the QBs because Britt still produced.

He's got to be on the chopping block.

Ram65

Legend
I don't think the reason he was a ghost all season was ever confirmed. According to Fisher, he was fully recovered and game ready in TC.

Personally, I think his issues aren't injury related and he won't make the final cut. As it sits, rookies being unknowns, I'd take Marquez over Quick if he doesn't look vastly improved.

If Jeff Fisher said it then it must be true!:rolllaugh:

lockdnram21

Legend

Fisher said he was behind because of the rehab. That's why he was inactive the first couple games. Also why it took so long to get up to speed

RamzFanz

Damnit
Fisher said he was behind because of the rehab. That's why he was inactive the first couple games. Also why it took so long to get up to speed

He was full contact in TC and played in the preseason. The doctors cleared him.

Then he stank up the season. Even in his best seasons, he was not as good as Britt.

I like the kid, I just don't trust that he is coming back.

I'm 100% open to being dead wrong. Hopefully he was shell shocked and he's over it.

Last edited:

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He was full contact in TC and played in the preseason. The doctors cleared him.

Then he stank up the season. Even in his best seasons, he was not as good as Britt.

I like the kid, I just don't trust that he is coming back.

I'm 100% open to being dead wrong. Hopefully he was shell shocked and he's over it.
I do remember last year in camp, I think even when we scrimmaged the Cowboys, that he was in a no contact jersey. It was part of the reason the fights started was the Cowboys hitting Quick in that no contact gear.

RamzFanz

Damnit
I do remember last year in camp, I think even when we scrimmaged the Cowboys, that he was in a no contact jersey. It was part of the reason the fights started was the Cowboys hitting Quick in that no contact gear.

He started TC with a yellow beanie. It means light contact, but he took it off at some point, gave it to Gurley because he was ready for light contact, and went full contact from then on out. The Cowboys scrimmage may have been an exception, I don't remember. BQ then played in the preseason. I don't see anything that says he wasn't 100% healed and ready, but perhaps they hid it.

ap_493765058349_r3870_576x324_16-9.jpg

Wide receiver Brian Quick, who is recovering from a shoulder injury, has been cleared to participate fully in practice since training camp began at the end of July. That clearance came with just one caveat in the form of a football fashion faux pas: that darn yellow beanie.

The yellow beanie has been a uniform staple for Quick for the first few weeks of training camp. It's not quite a red "hands-off" jersey like quarterbacks wear but, like a traffic light, it offers a "proceed-with-caution" warning for all who approach him.

Now, it appears Quick is poised to shed the beanie and return to an actual game on Saturday against the Indianapolis Colts. But first, a changing of the beanie.

"I think he’s got a chance to play this week, yeah," Fisher said. "We’re taking his yellow hat off of him. I’m going to take the yellow hat off of Brian and put it on (running back) Todd (Gurley)....

...Quick has practiced without restriction throughout camp and looks poised to be ready to go when the season starts. Before the preseason opener against Oakland, Fisher said Quick would play in an exhibition. He sat out the first two, but with the Rams finally returning home this weekend, it sounds like Quick is positioned to make his preseason debut against the Colts.

Last edited:

RamzFanz

Damnit
He improved more than you thought. That's 50% better!

Well...I'm no linguist or mathematician, but wouldn't it be 33% better (6 catches is 33% better than 4) or 50% more (6 catches is 50% more than 4)? Something like that? Probably hacking it up.

But, still, 6 receptions in half a season.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Annnnnnd, I found it:

Things got really strange this past Sunday against Washington, when Quick was an inactive for the second straight week, basically signifying that he’s a healthy scratch, rather than his recovery process being the leading factor in the decision. On Monday evening, head coach Jeff Fisher confirmed as much on his weekly radio show, which was in turn relayed by in-house beat reporter Myles Simmons...

...Of course, there’s also the possibility that Quick is having trouble learning a slightly modified offense this year. The Appalachian State product seemed to have trouble grasping the Rams’ philosophy, even with three years under the same offensive coordinator, Brian Schottenheimer. Only in his third year did Quick, who had 458 yards combined through his first two seasons, really seem to get the hang of things. The changes couldn’t have been too drastic this year since the Rams’ new coordinator, Frank Cignetti, was with the team as the quarterbacks coach ever since 2012, but any adjustment has a tradeoff: the possibility that a slower-learning player like Quick will have difficulty picking it up.

lockdnram21

Legend
Now we officially add Duke Williams to the fold.
Britt
Austin
Quick
Cooper
Thomas
Marquez
North
Williams
Spruce

I think it will end up
Austin
Britt
Cooper
Thomas
Williams
Marquez

This is going to be a interesting camp

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Now we officially add Duke Williams to the fold.
Britt
Austin
Quick
Cooper
Thomas
Marquez
North
Williams
Spruce

I think it will end up
Austin
Britt
Cooper
Thomas
Williams
Marquez

This is going to be a interesting camp
With 2 or 3 of the UDFA being on the practice squad though I'm not sold yet on Williams, just my opinion on him haven't looked at him much just read what others say here about him.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Differentiating who lines up where is going to be important to how they make their cut decisions. That plus special teams means their top 6 WRs should be something along the lines of...

X: Britt // Thomas
Y: Cooper // Spruce
Z: Austin // Marquez
Cuts: Quick (time's up holmes), North (Rams go with Spruce and his production over measurables), Williams (welcome to being an adult, now go get a job at McDonalds).

That said what is going to be an influence is the TE position. Why? Because the slot is going to yield snaps to the TEs from time to time too, and both Higbeast and Hemingway IMO will be fighting for snaps there. So that whole part of the equation might make things look like this:

Y: Cooper // Higbeast // Hemingway

IMO Marquez maintains an advantage over Spruce due to teams. And IMO the depth chart above is how it will turn out, with the Rams keeping those 5 WRs and a total of 4 TEs two of whom are essentially big WRs.

lockdnram21

Legend
Differentiating who lines up where is going to be important to how they make their cut decisions. That plus special teams means their top 6 WRs should be something along the lines of...

Y: Cooper // Spruce
Cuts: Quick (time's up holmes), North (Rams go with Spruce and his production over measurables), Williams (welcome to being an adult, now go get a job at McDonalds).

That said what is going to be an influence is the TE position. Why? Because the slot is going to yield snaps to the TEs from time to time too, and both Higbeast and Hemingway IMO will be fighting for snaps there. So that whole part of the equation might make things look like this:

Y: Cooper // Higbeast // Hemingway

IMO Marquez maintains an advantage over Spruce due to teams. And IMO the depth chart above is how it will turn out, with the Rams keeping those 5 WRs and a total of 4 TEs two of whom are essentially big WRs.
I'm sorry I see no way spruce, Marquez, and Cooper all make team. That's 3 slot receivers plus add Higbee that will spend a lot of time in slot. If Quick gets cut I think it will be for a younger project that's North, Williams, or Mcroberts IMO. I think Spruce will be on practice squad unless he just absolutely kills it all offseason