Early look at WR depth chart

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
Man ... the competition in that room right now .....

Britt
Austin
Quick
Marquez
Cooper
Thomas
Worton
Spruce
Williams
McRoberts
North
Toon

And the size ..... not so much on the speed side ... .but the 6' 2-3"-200# club just grew leaps and bounds. If they can't assemble a decent WR squad from that group .... :mrburnsevil:

bskrilla

Starter
I agree with your take on Spruce. Not many here seem to, but I think they'll come around when he shows himself in camp. What is your basis on McRoberts being more coveted?
I watched McRoberts play almost every single game of his SEMO career in person so I'm a little biased, but the kid just straight balls. He catches literally everything thrown at him. The only reason his numbers weren't bigger is because he was the only receiving threat on team that ran the ball for 180 yards per game and passed for 170 yards per game. Our QB's were very mediocre throwers during his time here. He also doesn't have that top level break away speed.

The media here in Cape Girardeau hounded the head coach to get the ball to McRoberts more, but he was pretty much always going against double coverage.

One quick anecdote. 2014 Week 4 - Unranked and super underdog SEMO played at home against #4 Southeastern Louisiana. With 2 minutes on the clock SEMO was down 23-17. Paul McRoberts caught a 16 yard pass early in the drive, but then had to come out with a foot injury. Team kept driving and he eventually came back in and caught the game tying TD with :04 seconds on the clock. We kicked the XP and won. After the game he got x-rays and turns out he had broken his foot earlier in the game. He caught the game winning touchdown in the back of the endzone on a broken foot, and SEMO upset one of the top FCS teams.

Dude is a straight gamer.

Last edited:

…..

Legend
Damn...with the signings of 2 additional recievers today....this position group is large, definately unsettled, and wide the fuck open.

To the players, the message is loud and clear. Bring your game. Opportunities are there and the struggle is real.

To the fans, do not fall in love with your guy, be patient, and expect the unexpected about who will be the strongest that make it through.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Yes, 33% better. He went from 4 receptions to 6. He had a total of 2 games all season with more than 1 catch.

We can't blame the QBs because Britt still produced.

He's got to be on the chopping block.
Then why sign him for so much dough$ ?

RamzFanz

Damnit
Then why sign him for so much dough$ ?

Pretty much the same $$ as last season, yes? $1.5M guaranteed is not a lot. Britt makes $3.5M guaranteed. Austin makes $4M.

I'm not saying they don't have high hopes, but just that contract won't get BQ on board. I'm pretty confident some team would pick up that contract on a flier.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Pretty much the same $$ as last season, yes? $1.5M guaranteed is not a lot. Britt makes $3.5M guaranteed. Austin makes $4M.

I'm not saying they don't have high hopes, but just that contract won't get BQ on board. I'm pretty confident some team would pick up that contract on a flier.

I agree it doesn't guarantee him a spot - but it is a significant amount of money. $250k roster bonus - already paid.
$1.25 million guaranteed salary - which is a lot for another team to take a flyer on. $250k in game day bonuses. Why guarantee so much money if they aren't expecting him to make the team? My understanding (possibly wrong) is that if he's cut, the team signing him would only need to pay the vet minimum, not the $1.25 million.

Basically, the Rams have committed to over half a million at least to Quick - a lot to guarantee if they felt he was on the bubble.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

Makes total sense. -- Real good input.
--It's nice to know The Rams drafted a couple of real nice WR. The competition will be fun to watch. Can't wait for hard knocks.
-- Your biggest for me is Briannquick still has value.His signing also added protection of depth.He has always been a good blocker,& his athletic ability still shines.
-- I still don't think he can run a solid route though,because he really does disappear.

RamzFanz

Damnit
I agree it doesn't guarantee him a spot - but it is a significant amount of money. $250k roster bonus - already paid.
$1.25 million guaranteed salary - which is a lot for another team to take a flyer on. $250k in game day bonuses. Why guarantee so much money if they aren't expecting him to make the team? My understanding (possibly wrong) is that if he's cut, the team signing him would only need to pay the vet minimum, not the $1.25 million.

Basically, the Rams have committed to over half a million at least to Quick - a lot to guarantee if they felt he was on the bubble.

At the time of the signing, pre-draft, they may have had different priorities. Would they make that offer again today I wonder? Maybe, but I probably wouldn't. This IS the crew that extended Foles, so I'm not granting them an eye for talent in all positions.

$1.5M for another team desperate for talent after he looked like he was going to break out in '14 doesn't seem like a lot to me. I don't think he'd be cut outright, but perhaps traded.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Remember that being 6'1 210 lbs doesn't learn you the offense. The hope is there are a few of these guys who will show the mental acquity to really digest the offense.

If I were one of these kids trying to make this team - I would be glued to the playbook and I'd sleep in the film room. Too much competition out there to be able to not know your assignments at all times (a tall order, to be sure)

The other - and maybe even bigger - differentiating factor. Who is gonna bring it on special teams?

Memphis Ram

Legend
The Rams now have 15 or 16 WRs on the roster.
Have they ever had so many WRs on the offseason roster?

I'm beginning to wonder if there might be an injury or two that we haven't heard about yet.:whistle:

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
With this many WR's it's hard to get fair reps. for all of them plus they have to get the guys they know will make the team ready with the limited practice time.
Herd's going to get thinned out early.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Man ... the competition in that room right now .....

Britt
Austin
Quick
Marquez
Cooper
Thomas
Worton
Spruce
Williams
McRoberts
North
Toon

And the size ..... not so much on the speed side ... .but the 6' 2-3"-200# club just grew leaps and bounds. If they can't assemble a decent WR squad from that group .... :mrburnsevil:

This is exactly what I hoped they would do - bring in a bunch of guys and force them to compete. Absent the ability to get one of the top guys in the draft or signing an impact FA, this was the best move they could have made.