Dumbest playcall ever....

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

TaxMonkey

UDFA
If you can not run the ball 1 yard with Marshawn Lynch in 3 tries then it was not meant to be. The call was mind-boggling to me.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
When we were debating the San Diego call, it was brought up there was a similar call vs. Dallas, it worked, and no one said a word then.
It's understood that it's always stupid to throw the ball from inside the 5.
Unless the game's not Super important. Then it's okay.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
But you've said 100 times out of 100, you would run Lynch. That kind of predictability WOULD be noticed and played to. That's why an OC *has* to be unpredictable, and why being unpredictable and it not working is not a bad call.

Now, could Lynch score even if the Patriots were totally keyed to the run? Possibly. I don't agree that's 80% though, and the fickle fans will still hate you and say it was a bad call even if it didn't work.
Yeah, but I'm thinking he would of scored the first time. Then this thread wouldn't exist. We'd all be choking on that hideous combo of greens and blues they got going on in Seattle until draft day.

And I'm all for the unpredictable. I may have called a fake to Lynch and let Wilson bootleg it to the corner or loft it to a TE in the corner. It still would of been a run call first though. The 100 out of 100 comment is just my confidence of Lynch caving somebody's sternum in to cross the goal line in that situation.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Yeah, but I'm thinking he would of scored the first time. Then this thread wouldn't exist. We'd all be choking on that hideous combo of greens and blues they got going on in Seattle until draft day.

And I'm all for the unpredictable. I may have called a fake to Lynch and let Wilson bootleg it to the corner or loft it to a TE in the corner. It still would of been a run call first though. The 100 out of 100 comment is just my confidence of Lynch caving somebody's sternum in to cross the goal line in that situation.
I would have too.

The more I watch that play though, it was really well designed. Stacked receivers with an all-out blitz and only one defender to beat.
If that ball was thrown just a couple of inches more inside, and a little lower, game over.

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
The pass would have been understandable if it wasn't an empty backfield set, once Lynch motioned out the defense knew they didn't have to worry about a run. Then they knew they could defend the pass 100%, awful call motioning your star RB. You could use Marshawn as a decoy to throw the defense off to benefit the pass but to essentially show the defense your hand, in the super bowl, on the final drive/play of the game, straight stupid.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
The pass would have been understandable if it wasn't an empty backfield set, once Lynch motioned out the defense knew they didn't have to worry about a run. Then they knew they could defend the pass 100%, awful call motioning your star RB. You could use Marshawn as a decoy to throw the defense off to benefit the pass but to essentially show the defense your hand, in the super bowl, on the final drive/play of the game, straight stupid.
Didn't look like they played the pass to me.

LInWdDU.jpg

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
Of course. In our mind (and I'm including myself in this too), our after the game coaching ALWAYS would have worked. And we can never be proven wrong in that. And no call that works (pass or run) is ever going to be questioned, so of course this thread wouldn't exist.

Like -X-, I probably would have run myself too. I just don't agree it was some obvious bad call to pass.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Isn't that exactly what we did in the SD game? I seem to remember Cunningham being the back and motioning out the same way??

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
I was at that San Diego game and I couldn't freaking believe we blew it like that. At least it wasn't the Super Bowl in front of a billion people. The Seacunt fans have go to be suicidal. Between all the rain and now this. Look out.
Yes, bad call, but Hill (and Wilson) didn't execute, and NFL qb has to know if slant is not there. . . .throw it away

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Yes, bad call, but Hill (and Wilson) didn't execute, and NFL qb has to know if slant is not there. . . .throw it away
One guy to beat. Probably looked like a sure-thing to Wilson.
Good play by Butler there, though. I hate that team so much, but I can't help but feel good for that rookie to make that kind of a play right there.
He could get hit by a bus tomorrow and die the happiest guy on earth.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Every call looks bad when it results in a turnover. When it's in the last seconds of the Super Bowl it's amplified by a million. That said, I would have played the percentages and let Lynch carry the ball. But then again no one asked me. :)

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Of course. In our mind (and I'm including myself in this too), our after the game coaching ALWAYS would have worked. And we can never be proven wrong in that. And no call that works (pass or run) is ever going to be questioned, so of course this thread wouldn't exist.

Like -X-, I probably would have run myself too. I just don't agree it was some obvious bad call to pass.
I don't know how obvious of a bad call it was but a pass just wouldn't have come up as an option in my thinking, not with two downs and a TO in my pocket. Of course, before the play, like I'd think NE would too, I fully expected a Lynch run but it is the NFL and you have to be prepared for both. NE was obviously prepared for both so I guess they didn't sell out on stopping Lynch.

BriansRams

"Rams next Superbowl is 2023 season." - (Oct 2022)
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
Awful. Game was in hand. No doubt PC wanted to prove some kind of point by passing it there. rather than play it safe and run the clock and punch it in. Dumbazz. Why put the ball in the air? Run it 4 times if you have to. aaaauuugggghhhh
WHY are you unhappy that the seahawks lost?

Leuzer

Daniel Leu
If I'm Lynch I'd get out of Seattle because they didn't trust him with the ball at the one yard line to get in. His whole entire career in Seattle they relied on him for the big play and when the Superbowl was on the line, Seattle didn't give it to him. Monster deal or not, I'd be pissed.

But congrats to the Seacocks for chocking away their victory. A 'classy' organization like yours deserves a painful loss. Hopefully some of these a-holes will jump of the bandwagon.

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
If I'm Lynch I'd get out of Seattle because they didn't trust him with the ball at the one yard line to get in. His whole entire career in Seattle they relied on him for the big play and when the Superbowl was on the line, Seattle didn't give it to him. Monster deal or not, I'd be pissed.

But congrats to the Seacocks for chocking away their victory. A 'classy' organization like yours deserves a painful loss. Hopefully some of these a-holes will jump of the bandwagon.
If we had S-Jax and we did that on first down . . . I'd be furious. With Shaun Hill and whoever we had in backfield,. I was ticked at that, and Stacy or Mason are not S-Jax . .

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Otto Graham.

And nobody else is in the conversation if your going to go "old school" mkay.

I was gonna mention him, too. Just needed to change the channel before the awarding of the Lombardi started.

Johnny U
Otto Graham
Dan Marino

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
Marshawn Lynch not surprised by final offensive call, says it’s a team sport
Posted by Josh Alper on February 1, 2015, 11:07 PM EST
cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznpty2ztrkodbmm2yyotnkyzm5ndkxyjvknjuynji0y2y2.jpeg
AP
The Seahawks were a yard away from a touchdown and a lead with under a minute to play in the Super Bowl, which is pretty much the textbook time to call on Marshawn Lynch.

Seahawks coach Pete Carroll opted to go a different way, however. As he explained after the game, he called a pass because of the personnel the Seahawks had on the field and Patriots cornerback Malcolm Butler intercepted it to seal the fourth Super Bowl title in Patriots history.

Plenty of people were surprised by the play call, but Lynch joined Patriots coach Bill Belichick in saying he wasn’t surprised that Carroll decided to put the ball in the air at that moment in the game.

“No. Because we play football. It’s a team sport,” Lynch said, via Jim Trotter of ESPN.

Plenty of other Seahawks players did express surprise about the decision to go with a pass rather than the running back who scored 17 touchdowns in the regular season and had already scored once in the Super Bowl. Even though it shortchanges Butler’s play and the other 59 minutes of the game, that surprise will likely remain a major topic of conversation for a while in Seattle.

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
Looks like it's on Carroll, unless he's protecting Bevel.

Pete Carroll takes blame, Seahawks question play-call
Posted by Darin Gantt on February 1, 2015, 10:54 PM EST
image-php.jpeg

Seahawks coach Pete Carroll did what he had to do, even if it wasn’t necessarily the truth.

Carroll took the blame for the disastrous game-losing decision to pass at the goal line, which cost his team a chance to win the Super Bowl. Instead, quarterback Russell Wilsonthrew an interception to Patriots cornerbackMalcolm Butler, giving away a chance to win the game with 20 seconds left.

Carroll said after the game that since they had three receivers on the field, he didn’t want to take the chance to run it against the Patriots’ goal-line defense.

And that’s fine, and reasonable, except for a few things, namely, the timeout in their pocket and the Marshawn Lynch in the backfield.

Carroll was likely just jumping on the grenade for offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell, though he insisted it was on him.

But the questioning of the play-calling from within was immediate.

Cornerback Tharold Simon summed it up succinctly, saying: “How do you throw the ball when you got Marshawn Lynch?,” via Josh Katzenstein of the Detroit News.

That’s a question that will haunt Carroll, Wilson, Bevell and Seahawks fans for years.