Dumbest playcall ever....

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Let's think about what's worse here:

1) Lynch getting stuffed, having to call a timeout, but still having two more downs to get the ball in the end zone; or
2) throwing an interception on a pass into the middle of the field and right into the teeth of the defense, losing not only possession of the ball but the Super Bowl as well.

Choose carefully.
That's not exactly Occam's Razor.

I'm relatively sure one of their options wasn't to throw an interception.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
10509635_870084589704897_8273761582216611954_n.jpg

raised_fisT

Hall of Fame
Awful. Game was in hand. No doubt PC wanted to prove some kind of point by passing it there. rather than play it safe and run the clock and punch it in. Dumbazz. Why put the ball in the air? Run it 4 times if you have to. aaaauuugggghhhh

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
Like with the San Diego call, if it had worked, no one would have said anything about it.

Always easy to criticize after the play, and any OC who always does the obvious call is going to go 0-16 every year.

If anything, I'd say this proves passing in a short yardage situation ISN'T some obviously stupid call. It just didn't work.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Man, what a bitter sweet pill to swallow as a Ram's fan. We get to see the agony of Seahawk nation but at the expense of seeing the Cheatriots win another one.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
That's not exactly Occam's Razor.

I'm relatively sure one of their options wasn't to throw an interception.

No, but it was certainly a much greater possibility on option #2 than one, especially throwing into the middle of the field in that situation. They got too cute and paid for it about as dearly as a team could, when they could have went with a much simpler option and almost certainly won the game.

More:

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/p...-seattle-seahawks-fourth-quarter-interception

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
No, but it was certainly a much greater possibility on option #2 than one, especially throwing into the middle of the field in that situation. They got too cute and paid for it about as dearly as a team could, when they could have went with a much simpler option and almost certainly won the game.

More:

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/p...-seattle-seahawks-fourth-quarter-interception
And what if Lynch had been stripped and they lost that way?
You don't call plays out of fear that you're not going to execute when you're good enough to get to the Super Bowl.

Here's what it boils down to.

I don't have a problem with the call.
You do.

I'd take Bevell as our OC without batting an eye.
You wouldn't.

Is what it is.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Like with the San Diego call, if it had worked, no one would have said anything about it.

Always easy to criticize after the play, and any OC who always does the obvious call is going to go 0-16 every year.

If anything, I'd say this proves passing in a short yardage situation ISN'T some obviously stupid call. It just didn't work.
Not for me. It's not a 20/20 hindsight opinion. You have Lynch. 100 out of 100 times, I hand it off to Lynch on 2nd down from the 1 with less than a minute to go with a TO in my pocket. 4th down? yeah, a different ballgame but not on 2nd down with a TO. If it had worked, I'd be saying, "crazy ass gutsy call, could of easily been broken up in all that traffic."

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
And what if Lynch had been stripped and they lost that way?
You don't call plays out of fear that you're not going to execute when you're good enough to get to the Super Bowl.

Here's what it boils down to.

I don't have a problem with the call.
You do.

I'd take Bevell as our OC without batting an eye.
You wouldn't.

Is what it is.

Then he got stripped. But I guarantee, hardly anybody would be saying giving the ball to Lynch at the one yard line with the Super Bowl on the line and timeouts in your back pocket is a bad call. It was a no brainer.

Earnest Byner got stripped in the AFCC championship in a similar situation once. Nobody said it was a bad playcall.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Brady is NOT the best QB ever.

Let's not forget Johnny Unitas. And BS that Brady could have dropped 5k on the league in 1984 when the NFL still allowed QBs to be openly hunted.

Glad I didn't eat dinner. This finish made me nauseous

Otto Graham.

And nobody else is in the conversation if your going to go "old school" mkay.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Good. I hope he gets fired and becomes our OC.

Bevell didn't lose that game. Defender jumped the route and made a good play.
All there is to it.

Remember when you said the exact same thing with the exact same results? You might want to consider the consequences. If goal line stands were easy, they wouldn't be special. (y)

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
I loved the parody Jon Gruden's twitter account - (retweeted by @Joel9ONE) "I'll tell ya what, man, if the Seahawks would've ran Spider 2 Y Banana right there on the goal line, they're the Super Bowl Champions"

Boffo97

Name
Dave
Not for me. It's not a 20/20 hindsight opinion. You have Lynch. 100 out of 100 times, I hand it off to Lynch on 2nd down from the 1 with less than a minute to go with a TO in my pocket. 4th down? yeah, a different ballgame but not on 2nd down with a TO. If it had worked, I'd be saying, "crazy ass gutsy call, could of easily been broken up in all that traffic."
Of course it's hindsight. You have the hindsight of knowing that the play that was called didn't work. That happens sometimes in this game.

If you hand it off to Lynch 100 times out of 100, your predictability is a lot easier to defend.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I guess when the two luckiest damn teams in the NFL play each other, something has got to give.(y)

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Of course it's hindsight. You have the hindsight of knowing that the play that was called didn't work. That happens sometimes in this game.

If you hand it off to Lynch 100 times out of 100, your predictability is a lot easier to defend.
Yeah but Lynch probably scores 83 times.

Young Ram

Hall of Fame
You have a MAN BEAST of a RB in the backfield and they pass the ball. I'm glad I'm not a seachickens fan. I would be livid!

Still a little upset cheaters won.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Remember when you said the exact same thing with the exact same results? You might want to consider the consequences. If goal line stands were easy, they wouldn't be special. (y)
I'm not sure what people want me to say here. I've seen enough TD throws from inside the 5 to know they work.
When they don't, it's 100% always a bad call. So I'll go ahead and stick to my guns here.
If that's okay with everyone.

Boffo97

Name
Dave
Yeah but Lynch probably scores 83 times.
You can't know that.

And if he doesn't, all those fans blaming you as OC for all your team's troubles complain "What?! Of course that didn't work! He played right in the hands of the defense! Can't we get someone in here that can fool a defense?!"

Didn't work ≠ Bad play call.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
The way i see it is this...

Seattle wasted their first TO earlier by not getting the playcall in on time, then they had to burn another one after the crazy catch in the red zone.
They've got one TO in their pocket. About a minute left. Lynch pounds it for 5 yds. 2nd and goal.

They take their sweet time calling the next play as the clock is winding down. Why not pound Lynch knowing you'v got that TO if you need it and he doesn't get in right away? FG doesn't do shit so no reason to save it. Bad clock mgmt in conjunction with that bad playcall.