Draft talk, mocks, prospects

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

fearsomefour

Legend
With two of the first 13 picks the Rams should be able to land two impact players that are starters day 1 with those picks. If they trade down (more than likely someone wanting Clowney) that changes nothing if it is not a major drop. The real question is, do you go best player even if that means he is working in rotation and not a full time starter (Clowney for example, or an OLB that may start the season behind Dunbar if he resigns) or do you go need. Personally, I would love to see those picks go OT and DT. A good case can be made for DB or WR as well, but, given the nature of the NFC West I think you have to be able to impose your will to win in our division. As we have seen when you can limit the run game SF and Seattle can become very average on O and when you can get pressure on Arizona the same can be said. Any game the Rams have won in division in recent years has started with being able to pound the ball.

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
The biggest impediment to Jadeveon Clowney succeeding in the NFL is probably going to be Jadeveon Clowney.

did anyone notice in seattle game that c long was linning up at the rde and quinn was at rdt. i wonder if this alinement was a test for if we draft clowney

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Wow, I just found out that Jake Matthews is Texas A&M's Long Snapper. So Matthews can play every OL position and LS.

nighttrain

Legend
I haven't really looked at anyone yet. I don't start my draft stuff until after the Senior Bowl.

The bolded part is the rub. What we need is a FS who can be our last line of defense. The lack of one is supposedly why we don't play much more man coverage. low 4.6s might be OK in college but it's a loser in the NFL in my opinion.

Haha's 40 time is 4.5. He's also 6'2". Here's what scout.com say about him:
http://alabama.scout.com/a.z?s=14&p=8&c=1&nid=4606445
HT: 6'2" Wt: 190 40: 4.50
STRENGTHS
eval_pro.gif
Burst Out Of Breaks
eval_pro.gif
Closing Speed
eval_pro.gif
Instincts
AREAS FOR IMPROVEMENT
eval_con.gif
Backpedal Quickness
Clinton-Dix can do it all at safety and he could probably be a big cornerback on the next level as well. He really explodes out of his breaks and closes on the ball extremely well. He is physical, he has instincts, and he has great size as well. As good as he is in coverage, he is just as good in run support. He can still improve his drops and his overall footwork, but he is elite, and he should be very successful on the next level.- Chad Simmons

T.J. McDonald ran a 4.54 for example.

I'm hoping that this discussion will become moot because we'll have signed Byrd in FA.:woot:
and there's Cody Davis,
4.41 40 time, 6'2''-205 lbs when signed, sure tackler, hard worker, and he's on the roster
train

Alan

Legend
nighttrain with a reminder:
and there's Cody Davis,
4.41 40 time, 6'2''-205 lbs when signed, sure tackler, hard worker, and he's on the roster
I'm guessing he's really, really raw because he didn't get much playing time but I'm hoping he'll be part of the mix. Plus do some good work on STs. Another potentially good UDFA pickup by this FO.:woot:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Anyone watch Clowney "dog" up the field today? 0 sacks? What a bum. :wink:
(I'm not being serious)

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
You know I watch him get doubled up on & cut down all over the place....that lower leg was bothering him some...funny how the Badgers seemed to run right. looks like a #1 pick to me.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You know I watch him get doubled up on & cut down all over the place....that lower leg was bothering him some...funny how the Badgers seemed to run right. looks like a #1 pick to me.

Yep. Wisconsin chipped him on almost every play and on a lot of plays, after chipping him, they doubled him.

Saw him deflect a pass for an interception. With his head!

Yep. Had two or three deflections over the last 3 drives. Hit the QB at least 3 times. And pursued the HB down the field often. Hell, Clowney looked faster than White(Wisconsin HB) when he was chasing him down on one play about 20 yards down-field.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Ready to watch the Rose Bowl and get a chance to see my favorite CB - Darqueze Dennard, Sr. & a OT/OG Michigan State David Yankey, Jr., Stanford:

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Blake Bortles is a stud I love the kid and IMO he's the best QB. Big, strong can throw and run and he can take a hit. Now I realize he won't be a Ram, but I truly hope with the Rams passing on these QB's that Sam the Ram proves to be the man that can takes the Rams to the promise land!

jjab360

Legend
Ready to watch the Rose Bowl and get a chance to see my favorite CB - Darqueze Dennard, Sr. & a OT/OG Michigan State David Yankey, Jr., Stanford:
Both of those guys have pretty good chances of becoming Rams, imo, really solid players.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Both of those guys have pretty good chances of becoming Rams, imo, really solid players.

If there are a couple of short trade downs from the first #2 pick to other spots in the top 10 & the Rams come away with several more 2nd rounders David Yankey would be a prospect I would target along with S/CB- Lamarcus Joyner, Sr., Florida State

Yankey had a very good bowl close game. I watched him from his OLG post & I was impressed. I like his versatility similar to Saffold & can hit most any moving target HARD! Here's what I like best ...his pass blocking on that left side was outstanding too. He looks like he could walk in to Rams park and start day one @ OLG. He also could play OT if need be he is that good.

Tailback

Starter
Name
Taco Jones
Last year I mentioned the Rams should take a hard look at LB Kiko Alonso from the Ducks. He is a frontrunner for the RDPOY this year for the Bills. Here's some Oregon Ducks that are unheard of late round prospects that I think could be diamonds in the rough. Taylor Hart http://www.goducks.com/ViewArticle....&DB_OEM_ID=500&ATCLID=204773861&Q_SEASON=2013 and Avery Patterson http://www.goducks.com/ViewArticle....&DB_OEM_ID=500&ATCLID=204830527&Q_SEASON=2013

So as a Ducks fan I've got to clue you guys into the defensive scheme that they run. They run a hybrid 3-4/4-3 2 gap which requires the defensive linemen to mostly just eat up space instead of being active and aggressive. That said, Taylor Hart has been just an animal and very durable also. In fact, I don't recall him missing any playing time his entire college career. Another thing to consider is the strength and conditioning program isn't designed to produce NFL type bodies. I think Hart has the frame and athleticism once he's in an NFL weight program to get bigger. His motor is non-stop constant 110% effort.

Avery Patterson was the starting safety last year for the Ducks and was just tearing it up until an ACL injury. He's not NFL size for safety, but consider this. He was recruited out of HS for CB, and Ducks DB coach John Neal puts the best DB's on the field, not necessarily the most prototypical body for the position. The Ducks have been pretty successful putting DB's into the NFL. Jairus Byrd, Patrick Chung, Walter Thurmond III, and TJ Ward are recent examples. Patterson IMHO would be a great late round or UDFA to bring in for nickel/special teamer.

NorCalRamFan

How about WR Sammy Watkins with our 1A and FS Hasean Dix with our 1B?

Watkins is only 6'1'' but plays much bigger. Dix can start at FS and we can move McCleod to Nickle DB and dump Finnegan and his huge contract.

We might even be able to trade down and still get Watkins and pick up an extra 2nd and 3rd Rounder.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Last year I mentioned the Rams should take a hard look at LB Kiko Alonso from the Ducks. He is a frontrunner for the RDPOY this year for the Bills. Here's some Oregon Ducks that are unheard of late round prospects that I think could be diamonds in the rough. Taylor Hart http://www.goducks.com/ViewArticle....&DB_OEM_ID=500&ATCLID=204773861&Q_SEASON=2013 and Avery Patterson http://www.goducks.com/ViewArticle....&DB_OEM_ID=500&ATCLID=204830527&Q_SEASON=2013

So as a Ducks fan I've got to clue you guys into the defensive scheme that they run. They run a hybrid 3-4/4-3 2 gap which requires the defensive linemen to mostly just eat up space instead of being active and aggressive. That said, Taylor Hart has been just an animal and very durable also. In fact, I don't recall him missing any playing time his entire college career. Another thing to consider is the strength and conditioning program isn't designed to produce NFL type bodies. I think Hart has the frame and athleticism once he's in an NFL weight program to get bigger. His motor is non-stop constant 110% effort.

Avery Patterson was the starting safety last year for the Ducks and was just tearing it up until an ACL injury. He's not NFL size for safety, but consider this. He was recruited out of HS for CB, and Ducks DB coach John Neal puts the best DB's on the field, not necessarily the most prototypical body for the position. The Ducks have been pretty successful putting DB's into the NFL. Jairus Byrd, Patrick Chung, Walter Thurmond III, and TJ Ward are recent examples. Patterson IMHO would be a great late round or UDFA to bring in for nickel/special teamer.

How about Terrance Mitchell? He entered the draft. I've heard he's a better cover CB than Ekpre-Olomu.

fearsomefour

Legend
and there's Cody Davis,
train
Yep….hes been able to do everything but get on the field. Has all the measurables and I look forward to seeing if he can stick, so far, hasnt done enough to get on the field.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Wow, I just read that Mike Evans didn't start playing football until his senior year in high school. Was a basketball player prior to that. Kid put up 1100+ yards as a redshirt freshman and 1300+ yards as a sophomore. Talk about being a natural. And he improved significantly as a sophomore compared to his freshman year. He might just be only tapping into his potential.

Alan

Legend
NorCalRamFan with a query:
How about WR Sammy Watkins with our 1A and FS Hasean Dix with our 1B?
I'm with you about dumping Finnegan but I want us to take an OT in the first round. I think it will be just like last year and all the good OTs will go early.