Draft talk, mocks, prospects

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

nighttrain

Legend
OH and I don't like the Schwartz hire. Didn't Walton come from Detroit? We should probably avoid anything related to that defense...
the Detroit connection made me wonder also, but every thing else is tits
train

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This is gonna be a fun draft season. I'm going to be excited. Clowney, Jake Matthews, Greg Robinson, Sammy Watkins, Mike Evans, etc. so many good players we could come away with...hell...we might be able to come away with two.

RFIP

Clowney would be a prospect too hard to pass up but we need to address other needs. Trade our #2 pick for Browns #6 and the pick they acquired from Colts and a possible 3rd rounder. They are in dire need at Quarterback. We'll have 3 picks in the first round. Draft OT, S Clinton-Dix, and CB Darqueze Dennard if he happens to fall that far back respectively. OG in the second round.

I'm sorry, I know what Clowney COULD BE but to draft a guy who had 3 measly sacks and no forced fumbles at #2 is a mistake. The guy plays only when he wants too, meaning only when their is money involved. He's Albert Haynesworth II...eh, who drafted fat Albert again?? PLEASE NO GOD!!!

ausmurp

Starter
I'm sorry, I know what Clowney COULD BE but to draft a guy who had 3 measly sacks and no forced fumbles at #2 is a mistake. The guy plays only when he wants too, meaning only when their is money involved. He's Albert Haynesworth II...eh, who drafted fat Albert again?? PLEASE NO GOD!!!

Everyone is saying this, but you guys don't realize, Clowney was double/triple teamed all season. Rarely do college players get that kind of treatment. Quinn did not get that kind of treatment. Chris Long did not get that kind of treatment. This will be shown and debunked in the combine/draft. He will go #2 overall, this is a near garuntee. Will the Rams take him? I hope we trade out and get a bounty for the pick. But I won't be mad if we draft him either.

ausmurp

Starter
this year there isn't a luck or rg3 so i don't think there will be the killer deals like ours with washington. maybe someone will impress at the combine and make a big deal possible

You're right, there isn't a Luck or RG3. There is a Bridgewater and a Clowney. Guess what scouts said about Clowney last year? They'd take him over Luck and every player drafted in the last 10 yrs. Fast forward to double/triple teams all year long, and you'll see that he is still the same player. And I think a lot of scouts think Bridewater > RG3. So you could say that this years combination of Bridgewater and Clowney could be rated higher than Luck and RG3...The combine will tell...

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
You're right, there isn't a Luck or RG3. There is a Bridgewater and a Clowney. Guess what scouts said about Clowney last year? They'd take him over Luck and every player drafted in the last 10 yrs. Fast forward to double/triple teams all year long, and you'll see that he is still the same player. And I think a lot of scouts think Bridewater > RG3. So you could say that this years combination of Bridgewater and Clowney could be rated higher than Luck and RG3...The combine will tell...
Agreed. There's a reason why defensive end is the 2nd highest paid position in the NFL.
And premiere pass rushers are among the most valuable.

jjab360

Legend
For stats comparison, let's look at the pass rusher who went at the top of the first round last year:

Dion Jordan (no.3) - 5 sacks, 10.5 TFL, 14.5 career sacks
Ezekiel Ansah (no.5) - 4.5 sacks, 13 TFL, 4.5 career sacks
Barkevious Mingo (no.6) - 4.5 sacks, 8.5 TFL, 14 career sacks

The reality is that a lot of pass rushers who have been taken high in the draft lately haven't really produced like you would expect, but are being taken on physical upside and coached up once they get to the pros. The difference between these guys and Clowney is that Clowney actually has produced on the college level, almost equaling most of these guys' career sacks in one season last year, and has the same amount of speed and quickness as these guys to go along with a lot more size and an amazing amount of power. He is a true physical freak.

And you seem to have forgotten, but when fat Albert played for and was motivated by the man who drafted him he was the best interior lineman in the league.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
WOOOHOOOO!!! Calvin Pryor is entering the 2014 draft!!!!!!!!! Hope we grab him!!!

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

That's media spin.

Although Albert was a freak athlete and was a dominant player when he played with Fisher.

Alan

Legend
Tron liking this user:
WOOOHOOOO!!! Calvin Pryor is entering the 2014 draft!!!!!!!!! Hope we grab him!!!

I don't know Tron, I'm not sure I'd want this guy. We have shit loads of good SSs on our team already. Here's a blurp on him that bothers me:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...les-calvin-pryor-known-for-big-hits-big-plays
Pryor's lack of speed -- he seems likely to clock in the low 4.6 range in the 40 -- will bother some scouts, but he has good instincts and covers a lot of ground. He might be best-suited for strong safety at the next level.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And when he played for Washington?

He played great in his first year in Washington in a 4-3 scheme(2009). And then they changed to the 3-4, this angered him, he spoke to Shanahan about it before the season...Shanahan decided to make an example out of him during training camp(for whatever reason) and this led to Haynesworth quitting and falling apart.

But Clowney isn't Haynesworth. And the claims of him dogging it and quitting aren't true.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So your saying his 3 sack season isn't a fluke then?

Depends on your definition of a fluke. His 3 sack season was a result of a significant foot injury suffered in week 3 that needs surgery, constant attention from opposing offenses and some bad luck.

For reference, Clowney missed at least 3 sacks in the first game against UNC by a hair(QB slipped out of his grasp on 2 sacks and fell forward past the LOS on a 3rd) then recorded sacks in games 2 and 3 before suffering his injury. So, realistically, he could have had 5 sacks in the first 3 weeks with a little more luck prior to getting hurt.

His foot injury has hampered his ability to turn the corner this year. As have double teams, chipping and offenses designed to get rid of the ball quickly to keep him from getting to the QB.

But him dogging it? No. That's making assumptions based on sack numbers. Not to say that Clowney never takes plays off but he certainly hasn't quit and he isn't purposefully dogging it.

Why would Clowney be playing on a foot that needs surgery if he doesn't care and has quit? And this is a very painful injury to play through.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
I don't know Tron, I'm not sure I'd want this guy. We have shyte loads of good SSs on our team already. Here's a blurp on him that bothers me:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...les-calvin-pryor-known-for-big-hits-big-plays
Pryor's lack of speed -- he seems likely to clock in the low 4.6 range in the 40 -- will bother some scouts, but he has good instincts and covers a lot of ground. He might be best-suited for strong safety at the next level.

I saw that also, but not really worried about it. He really does have great instincts and covers a lot of ground. His game speed is much better than 4.6

Look at his hustle at 1:38 when his teammate gets an int. AT 6:29 he reads the QB and flashes to the sideline for his own int. Watch the whole thing though of course. He closes in on plays really well.

He is known as one of the hardest legal hitting safeties. He can lay the wood but is a very good tackler while not committing a penalty.
At 8:11 he tackles Coleman(6'6 225) and his own teammate.

I think he could play SS or FS. I prefer him at FS because thats what we need, and does have the closing speed for it on the field and i would have problem with him being the last line of our defense.

*the video is one of, if not the best games he played. Still doing homework on other safeties, but i would love to grab him in round 2 at this point. Still need to watch more HaHa though.

Alan

Legend
Tron possibly not factoring in his lack of speed:
I saw that also, but not really worried about it. He really does have great instincts and covers a lot of ground. His game speed is much better than 4.6

Look at his hustle at 1:38 when his teammate gets an int. AT 6:29 he reads the QB and flashes to the sideline for his own int. Watch the whole thing though of course. He closes in on plays really well.

He is known as one of the hardest legal hitting safeties. He can lay the wood but is a very good tackler while not committing a penalty.
At 8:11 he tackles Coleman(6'6 225) and his own teammate.

I think he could play SS or FS. I prefer him at FS because thats what we need, and does have the closing speed for it on the field and i would have problem with him being the last line of our defense.

I haven't really looked at anyone yet. I don't start my draft stuff until after the Senior Bowl.

The bolded part is the rub. What we need is a FS who can be our last line of defense. The lack of one is supposedly why we don't play much more man coverage. low 4.6s might be OK in college but it's a loser in the NFL in my opinion.

Haha's 40 time is 4.5. He's also 6'2". Here's what scout.com say about him:
http://alabama.scout.com/a.z?s=14&p=8&c=1&nid=4606445
HT: 6'2" Wt: 190 40: 4.50
STRENGTHS
eval_pro.gif
Burst Out Of Breaks
eval_pro.gif
Closing Speed
eval_pro.gif
Instincts
AREAS FOR IMPROVEMENT
eval_con.gif
Backpedal Quickness
Clinton-Dix can do it all at safety and he could probably be a big cornerback on the next level as well. He really explodes out of his breaks and closes on the ball extremely well. He is physical, he has instincts, and he has great size as well. As good as he is in coverage, he is just as good in run support. He can still improve his drops and his overall footwork, but he is elite, and he should be very successful on the next level.- Chad Simmons

T.J. McDonald ran a 4.54 for example.

I'm hoping that this discussion will become moot because we'll have signed Byrd in FA.:woot:

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
I haven't really looked at anyone yet. I don't start my draft stuff until after the Senior Bowl.

The bolded part is the rub. What we need is a FS who can be our last line of defense. The lack of one is supposedly why we don't play much more man coverage. low 4.6s might be OK in college but it's a loser in the NFL in my opinion.

Haha's 40 time is 4.5. He's also 6'2". Here's what scout.com say about him:
http://alabama.scout.com/a.z?s=14&p=8&c=1&nid=4606445
HT: 6'2" Wt: 190 40: 4.50
STRENGTHS
eval_pro.gif
Burst Out Of Breaks
eval_pro.gif
Closing Speed
eval_pro.gif
Instincts
AREAS FOR IMPROVEMENT
eval_con.gif
Backpedal Quickness
Clinton-Dix can do it all at safety and he could probably be a big cornerback on the next level as well. He really explodes out of his breaks and closes on the ball extremely well. He is physical, he has instincts, and he has great size as well. As good as he is in coverage, he is just as good in run support. He can still improve his drops and his overall footwork, but he is elite, and he should be very successful on the next level.- Chad Simmons

T.J. McDonald ran a 4.54 for example.

I'm hoping that this discussion will become moot because we'll have signed Byrd in FA.:woot:

You do make a good point with the 40 time, but i still like him right now and i read that he ran a 4.55 back when he signed with Louisville. From what i have seen of Haha, he is really good, but not great at any one thing. But i am no scout and have been wrong on safety prospects before, so who knows. Still like Pryor though. And agree, grabbing Byrd would solve all of this.