Draft Grade? Incomplete. But, here's my take

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

FRO

Legend
I hope not. It's certainly a possibility. I thought it was a no brainer at the time. Lamp is there...we were going to take him.
I was fairly vocal about not wanting a TE with our 1st pick.
After listening to Sneads logic, I more accepting of the decision.
Either way. It's too late now.
Lets all hope they are right and we have enough on the line to work with now
Certainly respect that take. Hope you are right too. With me the Rams haven't earned the benefit of the doubt. All this losing has made me cynical and I don't like it.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
That is what I'm thinking. They likely prioritized their needs the first 3 or 4 rounds. Its clear they feel Goff needs more weapons. By the time they got past the 4th they felt what they already had on the roster was better than any lineman left. As far as youthful potential, a few of them aren't much older than the draftees that were available.
Also...to get Gurley rolling

Sportsed

Pro Bowler
Nice take and great op, nothing, IMHO, "wrong" with your thinking.....loved Lamp also.....but I'm thinking they felt getting a guy who has the potential of putting the ball into the end zone was more important than adding a top caliber OL at this point (don't see anything "wrong" with them thinking that either-----apples/oranges thing). It's the draft....never can be "sure" of who will be taken when/where......get "your guy" as soon as you can. Loved your last paragraph especially, getting guys who fit their scheme that late....was "impressive" (at least to me). The draft is meant to improve your team and I felt they did that with their picks. Thanks for the post; I just hope it all works out in the end.

FRO

Legend
Also...to get Gurley rolling
This to me should have been the main focal point. He is the most talented guy on the offense. Getting him to 2015 level and above makes Goff's job much easier and will help him with his development.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Certainly respect that take. Hope you are right too. With me the Rams haven't earned the benefit of the doubt. All this losing has made me cynical and I don't like it.
It's tough being a Rams Fan. We haven't had a season above .500 since "03. That's a hell of a lot of doubt that's been built.
Even with Fisher here, we improved to at least competitive. His offensive philosophy sucks, but at least he built us a good defense, got us Gurley and Goff.
Hopefully, we may finally be on the track.
Man I hope so

KOWALSKI

Rookie
before round 2 started i read on twitter that the niners are high on everett.
no way we could have picked him up with #69.
and i'm pretty sure he was the back up plan to engram from the beginning.

i like this under the radar draft so much.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No benefit of the doubt for a new set of coaches? Good thing a new HC, coordinators and position coaches all start off in the hole and have no confidence from the fans because of Fishers failings.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Actually, I saw the presser and completely understood what they say they were doing. It makes sense to see what the new OLine coach can do with the young talent already on the roster.

However, this is the NFL Draft. This is where team needs don't necessarily influence player availability and teams are better off getting the best talent they can especially given that needs change every year and the draft is more than just about a kids rookie season.

And, IMO, Forrest Lamp falling into the Rams lap in round two was just like Aaron Donald falling into the Rams lap a few years ago. Remember, they didn't need him either with Langford coming off his best season. But, he was just too good to pass on. And so was Lamp, IMO.

That reminds me of passing on WRs in the 2014 and 2015 draft because of faith in Quick and Austin. I think passing on Lamp was a mistake. Even if you have faith in your 2015 picks, you don't have an answer at C. Lamp could have possibly been that answer.

BTW. Nice to see both of you in here.

FRO

Legend
No benefit of the doubt for a new set of coaches? Good thing a new HC, coordinators and position coaches all start off in the hole and have no confidence from the fans because of Fishers failings.
Spare me. Snead has been here for 5 years. This is his 6th draft.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
Actually, I saw the presser and completely understood what they say they were doing. It makes sense to see what the new OLine coach can do with the young talent already on the roster.

However, this is the NFL Draft. This is where team needs don't necessarily influence player availability and teams are better off getting the best talent they can especially given that needs change every year and the draft is more than just about a kids rookie season.

And, IMO, Forrest Lamp falling into the Rams lap in round two was just like Aaron Donald falling into the Rams lap a few years ago. Remember, they didn't need him either with Langford coming off his best season. But, he was just too good to pass on. And so was Lamp, IMO.

Understood but you'll just have to pardon a few of us for being a little gun shy? on "can't miss" O linemen:cautious:

Ram65

Legend
In fairness and you know I love ya @Memphis Ram not sure if Everett is there at 69 (one of my favorite numbers) because the Bears took TE Adam Shaheen at 45, now maybe they still take him, but I'm not so sure although I concur Lamp IMO, would have been an instant upgrade to the OL, however, I am hoping that in McVay's offense, he needs a TE of Everett's ability and thus is why he was the target.

The Rams were burnt by the trade down before, Wagoner, etc. My guess is the Rams were comfortable trading down for Everett, but loved him enough to only go so far.

Nice take and great op, nothing, IMHO, "wrong" with your thinking.....loved Lamp also.....but I'm thinking they felt getting a guy who has the potential of putting the ball into the end zone was more important than adding a top caliber OL at this point (don't see anything "wrong" with them thinking that either-----apples/oranges thing). It's the draft....never can be "sure" of who will be taken when/where......get "your guy" as soon as you can. Loved your last paragraph especially, getting guys who fit their scheme that late....was "impressive" (at least to me). The draft is meant to improve your team and I felt they did that with their picks. Thanks for the post; I just hope it all works out in the end.

before round 2 started i read on twitter that the niners are high on everett.
no way we could have picked him up with #69.
and i'm pretty sure he was the back up plan to engram from the beginning.

i like this under the radar draft so much.

I'm with these posters. It's hard to say if Everett would have made it to the 69th pick.

I did a lot of Lamp Posts and even thought he would be worth moving up a little to get him. . The 2nd and 3rd round combination that I liked involved Kupp in the 3rd with Lamp or Evans. We all know Lamp would be great offensive line improvement. Hard to underestimate how much that affects the entire offense. Evans on the other hand with his quickness, speed and size also would greatly affect the Rams offense to put pressure on defenses. Goff really needs a weapon like him and more. Evens with Kupp and the Rams WR would have got so much better. Kupp is a technician and will be able to get open and catch everything near him.

Just before the draft a mock with Everett caught my eye. He was very impressive with size, quickness, soft hands, balance, body positioning and a punishing attitude. The Rams lacked a punishing attitude on offense for so long. SJ39 may have been the last a one of the only players that shows a real punishing attitude on offense. Everett brings a little different skill set that Evans would have. He is not as fast but, makes up for that with quick moves and willingness to hit defenders. He gets a lot of YAC. It's been stated many times by McVay and others that he has shown ability and willingness to block. All rookie TE have a blocking learning curve. Everett showed no signs of slow down at 239 Lbs at the combine and pro days according to McVay. His frame will support more weight too. All in all with the additional pick of Johnson I am happy with the early picks.

Zodi

Hall of Fame
You guys should listen to the post draft presser with McVay and Snead.
They talked about the oline. The coaches spent time with them at the minicamp and liked what they saw in the 2015 draft picks.
Snead also talked about the regression from 2015 to 2016, hinting there was more to the regression than player personnel. They drafted a lot of linemen that draft and aren't ready to give up on them. They also believe that the guys on the roster now, are going to play better this year than the rooks in this poor draft class.

Exactly.

Lamp is a perfect example of fans being set on a particular player based on their own observations, yet having no idea of the coaching staff's direction for a team. That latter part is pretty important.

Kromer said he wants to work with our current OL group, rather than more rookies. So even if Lamp was the BPA, picking him wouldn't have made any sense with a guy you covet in Everett still on the board. Plus we were able to trade down and get an additional pick.

Ants

Starter
My thoughts about Lamp:
No NFL team thought enough of him to draft him in the first round.
Obviously, the Rams coaches think they have enough on the roster to work with to also forgo drafting him.
The players on the roster already have some NFL experience (the speed, the concepts, etc). Put that up against a 2nd rounder from a small school with no NFL experience.

...I think a decent, young player with NFL experience (Havs, Brown, Wichman, Donnel etc) has a small leg up on a player like Lamp.
We talk about Lamp like he was a 1st rounder. BUT HE WASN'T.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Spare me. Snead has been here for 5 years. This is his 6th draft.
Reread what I said. Coaches, these guys are talking about coaching up the roster and you're saying you they haven't earned the benefit of the doubt a couple months into their coaching tenure. Criticize Snead all you want after 5 years of working for Fisher. These new coaches are a whole new ball game.

FRO

Legend
Reread what I said. Coaches, these guys are talking about coaching up the roster and you're saying you they haven't earned the benefit of the doubt a couple months into their coaching tenure. Criticize Snead all you want after 5 years of working for Fisher. These new coaches are a whole new ball game.
I just don't think it's good strategy to draft guys that need a fair amount of coaching up over guys who are more polished.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
I do ask you to do one thing ... until proven otherwise. You say the Rams have not earned the benefit of the doubt .. .well that was the old Rams. this is an entirely different makeup and regime. Don't bring up Snead is still here. I think we ALL know who ran the last regime...and he is gone. So .. until proven otherwise, maybe we should trust this new group? Give them the benefit of the doubt until they prove otherwise? I understand the pessimism ... we all do .. but that group is gone and i think we all should be a bit more encouraged by what is going on now. .... until proven otherwise ... yeah? :)

FRO

Legend
I do ask you to do one thing ... until proven otherwise. You say the Rams have not earned the benefit of the doubt .. .well that was the old Rams. this is an entirely different makeup and regime. Don't bring up Snead is still here. I think we ALL know who ran the last regime...and he is gone. So .. until proven otherwise, maybe we should trust this new group? Give them the benefit of the doubt until they prove otherwise? I understand the pessimism ... we all do .. but that group is gone and i think we all should be a bit more encouraged by what is going on now. .... until proven otherwise ... yeah? :)
To each their own. It's been a very long time since the team was successful. Maybe I'm a burnt out fan. Optimism escapes me, not that I'm overly cynical, I'm just very cautious. Tired of buying all in just to be crushed during the season (usually the first game).

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
My take on the Everett pick is that he had better be a good "hot" receiver because Goff will need it.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
To each their own. It's been a very long time since the team was successful. Maybe I'm a burnt out fan. Optimism escapes me, not that I'm overly cynical, I'm just very cautious. Tired of buying all in just to be crushed during the season (usually the first game).
Yeah ... I thin you are. And i don't blame you one bit but ... damn man.... come on over to the bright side and enjoy a little ... until proven otherwise ;) It's a whole lot better when you have optimism because .. .the change we all asked for has come. Let's give it a chance before we drown it out and chop it down. that shit is so depressing