Draft Grade? Incomplete. But, here's my take

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm astonished that one cannot see the Austin Pettis being used in comparison to Kupp.

I have no problem seeing people use Pettis for a comparison. I've also seen people use Spruce, Austin Collie, Jordy Nelson, Keenan Allen (including myself), Julian Edelman, Mike Hass, etc. for comparisons with Kupp.

Simply put, I don't see Kupp's career ending up like Pettis's. Kupp was a better prospect, and I trust him not to be the turd that Pettis was in the NFL.

While important, the main difference between the two seems to be the Kupp is a more polished route runner who appears to be more dedicated to his craft. Perhaps I should have removed the word "slightly " when I said Kupp was more refined (which seems to have missed altogether by some), but the comparison otherwise is solid, IMO. Far more realistic than my seeing Jerry Rice & Jordy Nelson mentioned in the same breath with the kid.

I've never compared Kupp to Jerry Rice, but there's as much basis for a Kupp-Rice comparison as there is for a Pettis-Kupp comparison. Basis for Kupp/Rice comparison:
1. H/W/S are even more identical than Pettis's and Kupp's H/W/S
2. Both played in the FCS (well, it was called something different back when Rice did).
3. Both demolished NCAA career receiving records.
4. Both were sure-handed route runners with incredible work ethics, savvy, polish, and football IQ.

There's just as much basis for a Jerry Rice comparison as there is an Austin Pettis comparison.

But I'm not going to compare Kupp to Rice because that simply isn't fair to the kid.

All that said, I'm not saying that he won't be a fine addition to the team as I'm sure he will. I'm just not a fan of selecting a slot WR right behind a slot TE (And yes I already know he'll play outside some. I just have my doubts that when he does that he'll be in his best position).

I don't really care where he plays. He isn't pigeon-holed to the slot, and I feel very confident that he'll be a productive NFL WR. To top that off, he has the ability to contribute immediately (which is something we needed).

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
I'm astonished that one cannot see the Austin Pettis being used in comparison to Kupp.

Both excelled mostly in the slot in college spread offenses vs. mostly questionable competition.
Both have very similar height, speed, quickness, arm length, hops, AND hands (size & catching ability).
Both had their struggles vs. press coverage.

While important, the main difference between the two seems to be the Kupp is a more polished route runner who appears to be more dedicated to his craft. Perhaps I should have removed the word "slightly " when I said Kupp was more refined (which seems to have missed altogether by some), but the comparison otherwise is solid, IMO. Far more realistic than my seeing Jerry Rice & Jordy Nelson mentioned in the same breath with the kid.

All that said, I'm not saying that he won't be a fine addition to the team as I'm sure he will. I'm just not a fan of selecting a slot WR right behind a slot TE (And yes I already know he'll play outside some. I just have my doubts that when he does that he'll be in his best position).

Difference of opinion... When I looked at their game film from what my eyes seen, these WR's are not even close for a comparison outside of their 40 yard times. Their body movement, Quick twitch in and out of breaks, Running style, Route running, Catch ratio, Tracking the ball in flight, and body of work.. We can agree to disagree but Kupp is nothing in the mold of Pettis imo..

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
The problem with that generalization is that for the first time in years, I wasn't set on any player. In fact, I found myself surprised that Lamp was even still on the board when the Rams selection came up. And as a BPA guy the BPA player would be the player I coveted most. But, hey, that's just my opinion.

I'm just hopeful that McVay didn't have to get his Everret like McDaniels had to have his Kendricks over higher rated players on their draft board.

Where did you have Cook(FSU) rated ? That surprised me. Could he be like passing on Todd Gurley ?

Les Sneed talk on 710 espn la about ,not drafting a RB
& trading back the pick. He talked about the Ogletree trade that got them TJ McDonald.

He talked about best player at need , but if a guy on the board a lot better they would take him. They have it broken down into tiers.

My thought is they needed a pass catching TE more than anything.I have worries about the small hands.Jamon Brown to me will grade out better than Lamp the next 3 years IMP.

Last edited:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm just hopeful that McVay didn't have to get his Everret like McDaniels had to have his Kendricks over higher rated players on their draft board.

Considering McVay's power in the organization, if Everett is the guy he had to have, I think we know where that would put him on their draft board. But let's say he did have to have his guy over higher ranked players...so what?

McDaniels was one-and-done here. I doubt that's McVay's fate. He'll be around to develop and utilize his guy. He came up as a TE Coach. As I said in another thread, all those safeties that Fisher kept bringing in all seemed to develop. Safety was Fisher's position. TE is McVay's. I trust him to get the job done there.

It's not like we don't see a number of successful team choose their guys over the "value" picks every year. It seems to work for them. We also see some bad teams do it. The difference to me is twofold: coaching and identity.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Greg Salas & Pettis

Vs. Quick & Givens ?

Then Tavon & Stedman ??

I think The Rams identified Gerald Everett from the start of day 2. They had plenty of time to figure it out. I think The Rams did well by trading back. Not sure if John Johnson ?? Had him rated over Reynolds or equal by position of need ?

Talk about draft boards changing . The Rams knew it was a deep nWR group.
They let The draft fall to them.?

Memphis Ram

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
@So Ram
Cook is a stud. However given his multiple off the field incidents and 3 shoulder surgeries, he probably went right about where he should have.

@jrry32
I can give you height and weight in a Kupp/Rice comparison. But, not speed. They may have run close 40 times (Rice 4.59) at the combine, but Rice has openly admitted that he didn't even know how to run a 40 yard dash. And on the field, Rice wouldn't get caught from behind. I imagine if he went through the professional training programs these kids go through now, his combine 40 time would have been pretty darn good.

And while both put up huge numbers, Rice didn't do it from the slot position and did it at a time where the SWAC was still somewhat known for its defensive backs if anything. Though Alcorn's Leslie Frazier had already graduated, Alcorn's Issac Holt and Grambling's Albert Lewis were studs in their own rights at the time.

Last edited:

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Willie Totten to Jerry Rice. I remember it like it was yesterday. Rice was a stud however his production was inflated due to the frenetic pace offense Mississippi State ran with Totten at the helm.
What's similar though is both guys were the guy to stop and nobody could.
Level of competition was much different back then as well. Rice played when it was rare for D1-AA guys to make the NFL, because that was before they reduced DIV 1-A scholarships to the 85 it is today.
Kupp destroyed the Pac 10 teams he faced
Comparing him to Pettis? Because they are the same size and speed? That's silly when you throw their production in to the mix.
I have issues with some of the picks, but Kupp aint one of them

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They may have run close 40 times (Rice 4.59) at the combine, but Rice has openly admitted that he didn't even know how to run a 40 yard dash
Not sure about that, as he did run track in high school

Memphis Ram

Legend
Not sure about that, as he did run track in high school

His words. Not mine. BTW, I ran track in high school and I can't say I know all the intricacies of how to run the best 40 time either. Of course, my track coach was also a math teacher who I believe had another gig on the side.:LOL:

Ants

Starter
I don't really care where he plays. He isn't pigeon-holed to the slot, and I feel very confident that he'll be a productive NFL WR. To top that off, he has the ability to contribute immediately (which is something we needed).

I think this is worth repeating. I don't see him as a "slot-only" WR, either. Fortunately, he is a WR that can actually catch the ball consistently, and is a hard worker.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
His words. Not mine. BTW, I ran track in high school and I can't say I know all the intricacies of how to run the best 40 time either. Of course, my track coach was also a math teacher who I believe had another gig on the side.:LOL:
BTW, the draft wasn't the same without you.
I will say that I thought you would have liked the pick of Sam Rogers, even if he didn't play at Auburn :)

Memphis Ram

Legend
BTW, the draft wasn't the same without you.
I will say that I thought you would have liked the pick of Sam Rogers, even if he didn't play at Auburn :)

Thanks. I'll probably fade away again shortly though.

Love the idea of the team finally bringing in a FB. Been calling for it for years. I just wish he were bigger and faster though. I wonder if Trey Millard has rehabbed his knee injury enough to make a comeback yet.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Lamp and Willis would have been nice.
Not sure why you think Gurley can regain form but all the promising linemen can't.
Gurley showed his other-worldly talent in one season....I can't say one linemen did anything close to that...Our best O-Lineman is Saffold.

Thanks. I'll probably fade away again shortly though.
Please don't....You're the only guy @OldSchool will listen too.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Lamp and Willis would have been nice.
Gurley showed his other-worldly talent in one season....I can't say one linemen did anything close to that...Our best O-Lineman is Saffold.

Please don't....You're the only guy @OldSchool will listen too.

......Which makes @OldSchool a very wise man.......:sneak:

That oldschool guys a hard headed prick he doesn't listen to anybody I hear!

Ram65

Legend
Fisher took guys who were good athletes that were raw and didn't get anything out of them because they didn't want to get better, they just wanted a paycheck. I don't think a single player they picked this year has that profile which is what McVay focused on all offseason.

Yes, notice that all the players drafted are football players first. A lot are guys that didn't get the big school scholarships offers yet went on to being successful elsewhere. They all look like hard workers that like to compete. Will be interesting to see how they progress.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Yeah, no more "Country Club" mentality. Focusing on "football smart" players who work hard to improve.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Sorry, but other teams were eyeballing Quick and Avery and they were proven college WRs, too.
Not sure I agree on Quick. IIRR (and there's certainly no guarantee of that these days) he was a surprise pick from a small school who ran very few routes and his stats weren't even all that impressive. He had the prototypical size though. Again... just from recollection. I am mostly posting from my phone these days so I don't have the patience to back up my claims.