Draft Grade? Incomplete. But, here's my take

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Don't visit or post much nowadays, but hey the draft has always been my baby.(y)

First of all, I understand that I am not privy to the thoughts or beliefs of what the current staff sees in it's personnel (current or draftable). Plus, I also understand that I have no idea where any of these guys would have been selected if the Rams had not selected them when they did, but here goes:

Rams Pick #44: TE Gerald Everett
I really believe that Everett is going to be a fine addition to the team. However, the guy was only 227 lbs. at the Senior Bowl, added weight for the combine, and has very small hands (8 1/2). Now, no one knows for sure, but I find it highly unlikely that he wouldn't have still been on the board in the 3rd round (BTW, while they didn't get him, I hope that they at least attempted to re-aquire Ian Seau from the Bills in that trade down as I believe that he would be a nice fit as an OLB in the new defense).

My Pick #37: OL Forrest Lamp
IMO, the Rams should have stayed put, taken OL Forrest Lamp, giggled all the way to pick #69 in the 3rd round and then selected Gerald Everett there.

Pick #69 Cooper Kupp
Another good player who should be a fine addition. However, for all the accolades many provide, I can't help but to see a slightly more refined slot WR like Austin Pettis. In fact, their combine workout numbers are even very similiar (though Pettis bests him just slightly). With a slot TE in Everett already selected and slot guys like Pharaoh Cooper & Bradley Marquez already on the roster, I would have passed on Kupp. Shoot, Pettis is still young and could probably be had on a free agent deal for competition, if he's up to it.

My Pick #69: : TE Gerald Everett or OLB Jordan Wills
As stated earlier, I really believe that Everett would have still been on the board at this selection and I would have taken him here. But, if not, I would have selected Kansas State OLB Jordan Wills, a high motor physical freak who is bigger than the players the Rams selected later at the position.

Of course, staying put and selecting Lamp would mean no Josh Johnson and other changes down the line, but I generally liked the rest of the draft. In fact, I liked their day 3 selections (4th round and below) more than I have at any time that I can remember.

I really like the Ekbukam and Price selections. The switch to the 3-4 allows for the team to gamble on the potential rush OLB gems who have been much easier to find that quality DEs for some time now. Tanzel Smart and a healthly Louis Trinca-Pasat should present a decent roster battle to backup Donald. Reynolds provides the team a much needed downfield threat especially if Austin falters. And I've been hoping that this team better utilized the FB position for some time now. That said, I have to admit that hope included a bigger and faster version. But maybe with so many teams going with smaller LBs nowadays he'll work out.

In the end, Goff is still the key.

Last edited:

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
In fairness and you know I love ya @Memphis Ram not sure if Everett is there at 69 (one of my favorite numbers) because the Bears took TE Adam Shaheen at 45, now maybe they still take him, but I'm not so sure although I concur Lamp IMO, would have been an instant upgrade to the OL, however, I am hoping that in McVay's offense, he needs a TE of Everett's ability and thus is why he was the target.

FRO

Legend
You bring up the Pettis comp, this draft reminds me a lot of the 2011 one. I think Kupp has a much higher upside than Pettis, but I can see the comparison. Everette and Kendricks are similar types of players as well. The argument for the 2011 guys is the same for this draft as well, scheme fit. Kendricks was to be McDaniels Aaron Hernandez, Everette is to be McVay's Jordan Reed. While the draft feels similar, these will prove it on the field.

Memphis Ram

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
In fairness and you know I love ya @Memphis Ram not sure if Everett is there at 69 (one of my favorite numbers) because the Bears took TE Adam Shaheen at 45, now maybe they still take him, but I'm not so sure although I concur Lamp IMO, would have been an instant upgrade to the OL, however, I am hoping that in McVay's offense, he needs a TE of Everett's ability and thus is why he was the target.

Shaheen at 6'6", 276 lbs. and Everett are two different types of players. Don't see Everett on a John Fox team. But, of course, that doesn't mean someone else wouldn't have selected him prior to #69. I just really have my doubts. Besides, a somewhat similar player in Florida Atlantic's Johnnu Smith was still available up to pick #100.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
The Rams were burnt by the trade down before, Wagoner, etc. My guess is the Rams were comfortable trading down for Everett, but loved him enough to only go so far.

pmil66

Starter
Name
pmil
Liked Lamp at 37 too. The rams traded down and received another 3rd rounder they really. really needed. Rams got 2 players that sure look like they will contribute this upcoming season in exchange for pick 37. One is a pass catcher they really really really needed in Everett. Not sure 25 teams would have passed on Everett and he would be there at 69.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
Lamp may have been the BPA, won't argue that.

Tired of rehashing the same ol same ol from the past two days, however, they appeared to base this draft on need, they feel good about the lineman drafted 2 yrs back.

They went out and executed their plan, personally I agree as stated in OPs last line, yeah it all depends on Goff, seems like McSnead clearly is aware of that

Love the personal pass protecting full back pick!!

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Unlike the Wagner trade, I get the sense they traded down here and still got their guy. I'd have been all over Lamp myself - but it's better they traded down than took Everett at 37. Maybe could have gone down again - and I'd have liked to see Groy come over in the trade down deal.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
You guys should listen to the post draft presser with McVay and Snead.
They talked about the oline. The coaches spent time with them at the minicamp and liked what they saw in the 2015 draft picks.
Snead also talked about the regression from 2015 to 2016, hinting there was more to the regression than player personnel. They drafted a lot of linemen that draft and aren't ready to give up on them. They also believe that the guys on the roster now, are going to play better this year than the rooks in this poor draft class.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They talked about the oline. The coaches spent time with them at the minicamp and liked what they saw in the 2015 draft picks.
Snead also talked about the regression from 2015 to 2016, hinting there was more to the regression than player personnel. They drafted a lot of linemen that draft and aren't ready to give up on them. They also believe that the guys on the roster now, are going to play better this year than the rooks in this poor draft class.
Totally agree but it won't dissuade some people who feel they know the team better than the coaches and what can be done. Lamp would have been a nice pick but he was apparently never an option in their book and was behind Everett on their list.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Totally agree but it won't dissuade some people who feel they know the team better than the coaches and what can be done. Lamp would have been a nice pick but he was apparently never an option in their book and was behind Everett on their list.
Well, to be fair i understand the disdain with the o line. We all know that was a major issue.
With that said, I'm more comfortable now, with them passing on Lamp and getting players they really liked.
I also like the dynamic between Snead and the coaching staff. It truly sounds like the decisions are a collaboration between them. They all put in a lot of time evaluating players, together.

Memphis Ram

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Actually, I saw the presser and completely understood what they say they were doing. It makes sense to see what the new OLine coach can do with the young talent already on the roster.

However, this is the NFL Draft. This is where team needs don't necessarily influence player availability and teams are better off getting the best talent they can especially given that needs change every year and the draft is more than just about a kids rookie season.

And, IMO, Forrest Lamp falling into the Rams lap in round two was just like Aaron Donald falling into the Rams lap a few years ago. Remember, they didn't need him either with Langford coming off his best season. But, he was just too good to pass on. And so was Lamp, IMO.

Last edited:

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie

That is what I'm thinking. They likely prioritized their needs the first 3 or 4 rounds. Its clear they feel Goff needs more weapons. By the time they got past the 4th they felt what they already had on the roster was better than any lineman left. As far as youthful potential, a few of them aren't much older than the draftees that were available.

FRO

Legend
That reminds me of passing on WRs in the 2014 and 2015 draft because of faith in Quick and Austin. I think passing on Lamp was a mistake. Even if you have faith in your 2015 picks, you don't have an answer at C. Lamp could have possibly been that answer.

FRO

Legend
I don't have as much faith as you guys that a coaching change will magically turn a horrible line into something great. I don't buy that. Maybe I was burnt by the overconfident coaching of the last regime.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Actually, I saw the presser and completely understood what they say they were doing. It makes sense to see what the new OLine coach can do with the young talent already on the roster.

However, this is the NFL Draft. This is where team needs don't necessarily influence player availability and teams are better off getting the best talent they can especially given that needs change every year and the draft is more than just about a kids rookie season.

And, IMO, Forrest Lamp falling into the Rams lap in round two was just like Aaron Donald falling into the Rams lap a few years ago. Remember, they didn't need him either with Langford coming off his best season. But, he was just too good to pass on.
I'm on the fence with this. I agree its difficult to pass on a player like Lamp. It may come back to bite us down the road. I wasn't happy about it either at first. Listening to their reasoning made me much more comfortable with the decision to move down. These guys spent a lot of time evaluating together....and apparently really love Everett. They also feel very comfortable with the O line talent currently on the squad.
I know its something that most of us aren't that comfortable with. If it works out, then we know the entire 2015 draft wasn't a failure.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
That reminds me of passing on WRs in the 2014 and 2015 draft because of faith in Quick and Austin. I think passing on Lamp was a mistake. Even if you have faith in your 2015 picks, you don't have an answer at C. Lamp could have possibly been that answer.
I hope not. It's certainly a possibility. I thought it was a no brainer at the time. Lamp is there...we were going to take him.
I was fairly vocal about not wanting a TE with our 1st pick.
After listening to Sneads logic, I more accepting of the decision.
Either way. It's too late now.
Lets all hope they are right and we have enough on the line to work with now