Do we use the franchise tag?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

If so Who?

• Joyner

Votes: 48 64.9%
  • Watkins

Votes: 13 17.6%
  • Neither

Votes: 13 17.6%

• Total voters

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sounds like the transition tag. Same thing?

No. Transition tags allow the team to match, but do not get compensation. Non-Exclusive tag costs more than transition tags, but less than the Exclusive Franchise Tag. I doubt any team makes Joyner an offer under it - but if they do and Joyner accepts, I suspect the Rams will gleefully refuse to match and take the two first rounders. Alternatively, a team could negotiate with Joyner and before a formal offer is signed, negotiate with the Rams for lesser compensation.

So Joyner is a Ram, unless another team decides he's worth a goodly amount in draft pick compensation.

WestCoastRam

Legend
So the benny of the non-exclusive tag is he costs less than the 11 mill he would have this year under the exclusive?

That might pressure him to take the deal on the table if he's gonna make less than what he'd make in the 1st year of a new multi-year deal, yes??

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Just heard on NFLN according to "Rap-Sheet" Joyner has been Tagged at 11.9 Mil.!!!!

Now we'll see what happens with Watkins!!

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Wouldn’t want to see him go but COME ON BROWNS! You know you can do it.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Allen Robinson’s been much better and is a FA. Coming off an acl but that’s no issue, as we know.

I liked Robinson back when he came out in the draft, but I don't trust him to stay healthy. No way in F I'd pay him.

If Watkins rolls out, it's next man up with Reynolds and cross your fingers the staff can get him ready.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Re: Watkins all I can say is I hope the whiners don't get him. Hope Cleveland rocks his world with a massive contract.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
The soonest Barron and Austin could bring compensatory picks is 2022 and 2023 respectively. The Rams would have to pay out 60+ million to them to have their contracts play out.

Thanks , now that The Rams just signed Joyner & are trying to work a deal out with Watkins. It totally gives a little more to the direction they are going.
It has been well noticed by Ram fans what needs to happen. Quinn played himself into his value of his contract & allowed The Rams to make a trade.

WestCoastRam

Legend
So LaCanforham mentions that the Rams remain hopeful about signing Watkins to a bridge contract (only 1-2 years). Somebody reported (can anyone confirm??) that Watkins wasn't going to negotiate till Rams decided on who was going to get tagged.

I.E., If Rams were only looking for a 1-2 year bridge contract with Watkins all along, then Watkins made the right choice to wait to see if they'd tag him before even discussing it. The 1-2 year contract would obviously come in under the franchise tag. Now Watkins can reasonably see if he wants to go with a 1-2 year prove it contract or hit the open market.

I don't think this means he'll definitely sign a bridge contract but it certainly speaks to why the Rams "remain hopeful" at this point of signing him in next week. It also means that no meaningful negotiations with Watkins have probably taken place till now.

WestCoastRam

Legend
I could see Rams offering around 14.5-15 mill on a 1 year prove it deal. Jeffrey got 14 mill on his 1 year prove it.

If you're Sammy, do you take that or see if the market will give you a multiyear deal that the average exceeds that yearly? What's guaranteed on a multiyear prob comes into play then too...

I can see the rams offering a bridge contract and Sammy seeing what the market will bear and if a contract doesn't average in around 15 or have a high enough guaranteed, he takes the bridge.

MadGoat

Mathematically alive
I could see Rams offering around 14.5-15 mill on a 1 year prove it deal. Jeffrey got 14 mill on his 1 year prove it.

If you're Sammy, do you take that or see if the market will give you a multiyear deal that the average exceeds that yearly? What's guaranteed on a multiyear prob comes into play then too...

I can see the rams offering a bridge contract and Sammy seeing what the market will bear and if a contract doesn't average in around 15 or have a high enough guaranteed, he takes the bridge.
I could see him taking a one year deal like Alshon's, but only after testing the market and realizing that all of the offers are multi-year deals that make it easy for the teams to cut him at any point after year one.