Do we use the franchise tag?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

If so Who?

• Joyner

Votes: 48 64.9%
  • Watkins

Votes: 13 17.6%
  • Neither

Votes: 13 17.6%

• Total voters

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
didnt really expect Watkins to get the tag anyway. IMO its joyner or nothing and with the deadline approaching id imagine now long term deal will get done by then so I expect Joyner to be the choice

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sign 'em both to monster contracts, OldSchool style!:rockon:

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Personally I’m thinking we don’t use it but Joyner is more likely to me than Watkins.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I would guess Joyner gets done quickly and if not they tag him. Tag is very affordable for safety.

Watkins they will probably offer a deal similar to what Jeffery just got. If he gets stupid let him hit the market.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
There is zero upside to us franchising any of those players. If we don't know what we have than we don't know what we're doing.

WestCoastRam

Legend
I'm trying to suss out the logic here. I think this probably means they need to use the tag on Joyner. I mean, what are the chances that they get Joyner signed in next day?

The other answer is, they think they're gonna get Joyner to sign a long term deal and they think 16 mil is just too much to give to Watkins. If that's the case, I think they must feel comfortable with a guy like Reynolds on the roster or think they can find another answer in FA.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
One thing to consider, although tag deadline is tomorrow, the Rams still have a week to negotiate with players before they are UFA and free to talk to anyone else. So not tagging doesn't mean they are cutting bait, could also mean a long term deal is imminent

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
I guess you let the market set the price. If you want them bad enough, you make a better offer than anyone else. I think they will save money that way and could still sign them. That is unless both are looking to leave, then you probably can't pay them enough without blowing up the budget. I don't think the Rams can blow the budget for anyone other than Donald. Maybe Goff and Gurely down the road. You hope these guys have some emotional connection to their teammates and winning and think it would be worth it to them not to break the bank. Unfortunately Donald is not setting that example, so I wouldn't look for anyone else on the team to take less than the most they think they can get.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I voted Joyner because it makes some sense.

But I really don't want to go through this cycle again. Hope we start actually signing some of our good players.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
So who are they more concerned about testing the market? Since no one in their right mind will be making Watkins the 2nd highest paid receiver this year behind Antonio Brown, I'd say joyner gets it.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

the rams have set bad precedents with tavon, barron and ogletree. now every player wants to be overpaid like them.

and trujo. players see how much money he made on the franchise tag he didn't deserve and think to themselves give me some of that.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I hope they don't franchise anyone. Lamarcus is good but not irreplaceable. Watkins is good, but also not irreplaceable.

In this draft there are a lot of safeties that look good. There are some free agents that would be cheaper too. Plus, if they keep Barron they could move him to SS. ( not my idea, but it could work).

Watkins may be regarded as being tougher to replace but not if it is just as a deep threat. The Rams have two of them on the roster already. But if he leaves it will suck having used a second round pick for one season........suddenly Snead isn't looking as smart as he has lately.

WestCoastRam

Legend

the rams have set bad precedents with tavon, barron and ogletree. now every player wants to be overpaid like them.

and trujo. players see how much money he made on the franchise tag he didn't deserve and think to themselves give me some of that.

While you may have a point, I think how much the CAP keeps going up and the amount of CAP teams tend to have these days due to more strategic management of it has a great deal more to do with how much players are getting paid. They are only overpaid as it relates to previous years. We're seeing a gross amount of inflation and easy money. No one's really getting overpaid. There's just a crap more ton of money available.

Last edited: