Denver; what do they do at QB?/They trade for Mark Sanchez of course

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Keenum's stats for his stretch as starter last year:

@ Baltimore: his shakiest outing was his first. 46% completion percentage and did not look comfortable but he did not make any big mistakes and gave Rams chance to win.
DETROIT: completion percentage climbed to 63% but still did not look totally comfortable in the pocket and threw one INT in the victory. Gurley got them the win.
TAMPA: his best game as a Ram. Completion percentage was 82%, he was locked in making some great throws and had 2 TDs with no INTs. Looked like a starter in that game.
@ Seattle: shocking game by him. Held things down with no big mistakes, made some key throws with a solid 60% completion percentage and got the Rams a win in a game Seattle NEEDED.
@ San Francisco: did not have a good game. Avoided big mistakes but his completion percentage dipped below 60% in a frustrating season ending loss. Note that the Rams did not have Gurley in that game.

Keenum is not the QB of the future, but his value is that he doesn't make big mistakes. He is very careful with the ball and when he's QB he wins. This was demonstrated with the Texans too btw. IMO he is a very, very good backup QB who will give a strong defensive/running team an excellent chance to win if he's under center. Rams were wise to tender him that way, because if they hadn't the Broncos would have snaked him.

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
[GALLERY=media, 65]Screenshot_2016-03-11-11-31-55 by BatteringRambo posted Mar 11, 2016 at 11:33 AM[/GALLERY]

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
[GALLERY=media, 65]Screenshot_2016-03-11-11-31-55 by BatteringRambo posted Mar 11, 2016 at 11:33 AM[/GALLERY]

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/03/11/broncos-trade-eagles-a-draft-pick-for-mark-sanchez/

Broncos trade Eagles a draft pick for Mark Sanchez
Posted by Darin Gantt on March 11, 2016

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznptdkmju5ztbhodg4zti4yzqxntbjmgy0zjrkmtmznzvi-e1417174002905.jpeg
AP

The Broncos have a quarterback again.

I suppose.

According to Mike Klis of KUSA in Denver, the Broncos have sent a conditional draft pick to the Eagles for spare quarterback Mark Sanchez.

That gives them someone other than Trevor Siemian on the depth chart, but hardly seems like an answer after Peyton Manning retired and Brock Osweiler bolted for Houston.

And Sanchez was no longer needed in Philadelphia, such that he ever was, once Sam Bradford and Chase Daniel were signed.

Sanchez is signed at a reasonable backup rate ($4.5 million), and it seems reasonable to think the Broncos are still looking for a starter.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/03/11/broncos-trade-eagles-a-draft-pick-for-mark-sanchez/

The Broncos have a quarterback again.

I suppose.

According to Mike Klis of KUSA in Denver, the Broncos have sent a conditional draft pick to the Eagles for spare quarterback Mark Sanchez.

That gives them someone other than Trevor Siemian on the depth chart, but hardly seems like an answer after Peyton Manning retired and Brock Osweiler bolted for Houston.

And Sanchez was no longer needed in Philadelphia, such that he ever was, once Sam Bradford and Chase Daniel were signed.

Sanchez is signed at a reasonable backup rate ($4.5 million), and it seems reasonable to think the Broncos are still looking for a starter.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
I wonder if they even called the Rams about Foles. Butt fumble Sanchez?

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Let the media hilarity begin. After all, if it is hilarious to pay the Rams' starter a bit over $3 million, paying a backup like Sanchez $4.5 million should be hilaripus.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
They got their bridge QB. Now they'll draft one.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
What I don't understand in all of this is why Osweiler was considered such a hot commodity. Not saying he won't be good but we simply don't know. 7 starts. That's all. And he goes and earns himself $72m

No doubt Broncos fans will be complaining about Sanchez as we speak but he's had some success in this league. He's played in a conference championship game IIRC.

What has Osweiler done? Got benched for the worst QB in the league (although I realise that it wasn't your typical benching situation).

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
What I don't understand in all of this is why Osweiler was considered such a hot commodity. Not saying he won't be good but we simply don't know. 7 starts. That's all. And he goes and earns himself $72m

No doubt Broncos fans will be complaining about Sanchez as we speak but he's had some success in this league. He's played in a conference championship game IIRC.

What has Osweiler done? Got benched for the worst QB in the league (although I realise that it wasn't your typical benching situation).

Brock got benched unfairly.

How the hell does a QB go into Chicago and win in his 1st ever start, then win another one against NE on national tv, another road game against a division rival, wins at Cincy in a do or die type game, then finishes out the year with a win against the Chargers again. And gets benched for that?

He laid one egg (and so did that team as a whole) against Oakland. Big fuckin whoop. Shit happens. And his team loses another one against a really good Steelers team on the road.

I really think the Broncos fucked this up. They had a potential "heir" to Peyton and have the QB spot settled for the next 10 years. But nope, he's on to Houston. Where he'll have a Deandre Hopkins to throw to. Plus a good OL and decent run game. Also JJ Watt plays on offense at time.

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
Lamar Miller definitely boosts that run game from decent to extremely solid, at minimum now.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
John Elway looks at the QB landscape and says, A Peyton Manning, B Brock Osweiler and C Case Keenum
Yeah, that's believable all right. And if you pull my right leg it plays jingle bells

Well, everyone one has a plan. The plan A was Peyton, if he didn't retire. They couldn't pay him and Osweiler both, could they? So, he retires and Osweiler is plan A. B is Kaepernick, C is Keenum. I don't know why that is hard to believe? That part wasn't by Cowherd though. That was reported by several outlets. They had a plan, but Osweiler didn't give them the chance they thought he would. Maybe Elway in his usual arrogant way figured Brock was in the bag. Why would he want to leave a Super Bowl winning roster?

I don't understand the suspicion either. Reporters and hosts all have sources and they don't enjoy great success by always being wrong. If their sources suck, then they suck. Cowherd always says wether he feels the rumor, or source is solid or not. Some he says are whispers, some he says are very solid. I have listened to him for five years now. He has good sources.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, everyone one has a plan. The plan A was Peyton, if he didn't retire. They couldn't pay him and Osweiler both, could they? So, he retires and Osweiler is plan A. B is Kaepernick, C is Keenum. I don't know why that is hard to believe? That part wasn't by Cowherd though. That was reported by several outlets. They had a plan, but Osweiler didn't give them the chance they thought he would. Maybe Elway in his usual arrogant way figured Brock was in the bag. Why would he want to leave a Super Bowl winning roster?

I don't understand the suspicion either. Reporters and hosts all have sources and they don't enjoy great success by always being wrong. If their sources suck, then they suck. Cowherd always says wether he feels the rumor, or source is solid or not. Some he says are whispers, some he says are very solid. I have listened to him for five years now. He has good sources.
I believe that the Broncos would have had interest in getting Keenum as a potential back up in the event that they lost either A or B, but unless I heard it straight out of Elway's mouth, I refuse to believe that they thought of him as starter material.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Yup, I'm no fan of Sanchez but in a ground and pound offense with the Jets he did reach the AFC championship game in back to back years and played well in the playoffs. Could be a good fit

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
My take on this is that they got him for next to nothing and his contract is very reasonable..I don't see a bunch of upside with regard to his play..

Ram Man

Rookie
I'm not being snarky, just honest.
They scored 18 ppg in his 5 starts and he was shaky at best.
I ask if you watched the games because I honestly don't know how you could have and been able to see a starting QB in Keenum.
I am still holding out hope there's more to this off season where we get a legitimate QB. I didn't see anything out of Keenum to say he was any better than Kellen Clemens, Austin Davis or Shaun Hill

Where are these available "legitimate" QB's that you speak of?

Were there veteran quarterbacks out there when free agency started earlier this week that you believe the Rams should have signed to replace Keenum? If so, who were they? This was a VERY weak crop of FA quarterbacks and teams handing these bums ridiculous contracts when they sign. Keep that in mind.

Also, are there any QB's in the draft that you think that will come in on Week 1 and out perform Keenum or Mannion? If so, who are they? If your answer is Goff, I would say "perhaps" but the Rams have no prayer of landing him.

Bottom line is that once the season ended we knew there were going to be ZERO quarterbacks available that would be both:

1. a significant upgrade immediately; and also
2. acquired without hurting the Rams in the long run (i.e. giving up too many picks or requiring crippling long term player contracts with tons of guaranteed money).

I want what is POSSIBLE for the Rams. I want to see them win THIS YEAR without mortgaging the future. To do this they need to improve the offense. That is possible. The Rams don't necessarily need to add lots of star players to do this. Their best hope is that our young offensive line improves a lot as they mature and play together. Also if they are successful (lucky) they can improve at WR and TE via:

A. free agency at a reasonable cost (lots of guys available); and
B. the draft (15th, 43th, 45th, and 76th picks).

If the Rams are successful at making these non-quarterback improvements to their offense, then they will win more games this year. If they are not successful at it, it'll be a LONG season.