Defensive coordinator search

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamWoodie

Legend
Isn’t a 3/4 more flexible? I’ve seen the Rams rush 3-4-5 at different times. It gives more options. Most DEs are just DEs and although they can drop back in short coverage, they are often not all that fast laterally or in revers

To each his own. I always preferred a 4/3 until the Rams switched and I saw the value in the versatility.
The 3-4 is great if you have great fast LBs...but I n many cases that's not the case. I don't mind a 3-4 at all if you have the LBs. That's rarely the case.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
That brings up a good point. Let's draft some defense that can actually tackle. Forget 40 times, let's get guys that lead their team in tackles.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
The 3-4 is great if you have great fast LBs...but I n many cases that's not the case. I don't mind a 3-4 at all if you have the LBs. That's rarely the case.
I expect the Rams to draft an ILB to pair with Jones this year. It's a need. We have to get better at tackling underneath to beat teams like the shitters. Might be a stud SS type that we build up in that role so he can stay on the field, or an ILB who has some wheels to him to grow into it, but either way if they can hit on that addition it has potential to significantly upgrade our defense vs run and pass and simplify rotation requirements.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I expect the Rams to draft an ILB to pair with Jones this year. It's a need. We have to get better at tackling underneath to beat teams like the shitters. Might be a stud SS type that we build up in that role so he can stay on the field, or an ILB who has some wheels to him to grow into it, but either way if they can hit on that addition it has potential to significantly upgrade our defense vs run and pass and simplify rotation requirements.
If you think about this, another good inside linebacker to pair with Ernest could dramatically improve the defense and it might be the easiest and quickest way to improve. JMO. So many needs in the draft... glad I'm not the GM -lol.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
It’s a bit confusing that the Rams supposedly don’t put a high value on Linebackers but run a 3/4. They do value outside Lbers though.

dang

Legend
Agreed. If Reeder is on the roster or if Rozeboom is a starter the Rams have neglected a major need on defense. Right behind more Edge pressure.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Agreed. If Reeder is on the roster or if Rozeboom is a starter the Rams have neglected a major need on defense. Right behind more Edge pressure.
I wouldn't mind Reeder as a backup, special teams guy if he played some FB, too.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
It’s behind Edge, Corner, DL & Safety for me.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
It’s behind Edge, Corner, DL & Safety for me.
I wonder if they feel Jason Taylor has a legit chance to be a future starter at S?

And I do think ILB is important. The top teams have 2 good ones:
Ravens- Queen & Smith
Chiefs - Gay & Bolton
Niners - Greenlaw & Warner

They could draft a kid in the 3rd that would be an upgrade. Would make sense if they trade down with one of their higher picks and can get an extra late 3rd.

TSFH Fan

Epic Music Guy
That brings up a good point. Let's draft some defense that can actually tackle. Forget 40 times, let's get guys that lead their team in tackles.
Not disagreeing with this at all, but it brings back memories.
Back in the day, there was a dude who led the entire Big-10 in tackles for a couple seasons, Tim McGarigle.
I was pretty happy with the pick and thought the Rams got a tackle machine. He led the f'ing BIg-10! Right?
Nope.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I wonder if they feel Jason Taylor has a legit chance to be a future starter at S?

Ravens- Queen & Smith
Chiefs - Gay & Bolton

They could draft a kid in the 3rd that would be an upgrade. Would make sense if they trade down with one of their higher picks and can get an extra late 3rd.
Shitters routinely find good ILBs in that round 3 range. Goes back for them too the bastards, was like that before Ratboy was hired. They had that Penn St kid who ended up a stud for them and think they got him in that round. Another guy too if memory serves who played next to him.

Bolton was round 3 iirc. Or thereabouts. But I think a kid who fits that grouping is the Clemson ILB in this year's draft. He's excellent. Or if you miss on him go with a SS type who has good box film and coach up the raw talent to at least drop on pass downs. But yeah a real ILB would be fantastic.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
TBF we have some slow guys that miss tackles

But they are in position to make them, and they don't. I'm talking guys that once they get ahold of someone, they go down.
Maybe we need to add some strength to the scouting report.
But way too many missed tackles under Morris the last few years.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
Not disagreeing with this at all, but it brings back memories.
Back in the day, there was a dude who led the entire Big-10 in tackles for a couple seasons, Tim McGarigle.
I was pretty happy with the pick and thought the Rams got a tackle machine. He led the f'ing BIg-10! Right?
Nope.
I remember the name, but refresh me why he didn't succeed with the Rams?
At least we didn't have to teach him how to tackle. . . .

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
I prefer we go FA or trade for our biggest needs. The Staff/AD window won’t be open much longer.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped

Ravens- Queen & Smith
Chiefs - Gay & Bolton

The point about other teams is a good one.
But I think the Rams need the upgrades in the other areas a little more.
Like.. I’d spend a 3rd on a safety before a LB. I think they need an athletic upgrade.. especially deep.
But.. the scenario you present is a really good option.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
But they are in position to make them, and they don't. I'm talking guys that once they get ahold of someone, they go down.
Maybe we need to add some strength to the scouting report.
But way too many missed tackles under Morris the last few years.
I'm with you, that was just a side note. We whiff in the open space too much for my liking.

TSFH Fan

Epic Music Guy
I remember the name, but refresh me why he didn't succeed with the Rams?
At least we didn't have to teach him how to tackle. . . .
I think it was a case of just not being good enough to play at the NFL level, but I've got no special insight.
Looking back at his record, he played 12 games for the Rams in 2007, looks like mostly/all special teams, and that was it for his NFL career.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
The point about other teams is a good one.
But I think the Rams need the upgrades in the other areas a little more.
Like.. I’d spend a 3rd on a safety before a LB. I think they need an athletic upgrade.. especially deep.
But.. the scenario you present is a really good option.
I definitely see the need for an athletic safety. The Baltimore game highlighted that among a few other late game near meltdowns.

I just think unless you commit a top 50 pick for that position, you will just get Lake & Yeast like clones later than that.

RamWoodie

Legend
It’s a bit confusing that the Rams supposedly don’t put a high value on Linebackers but run a 3/4. They do value outside Lbers though.
Yep. I know you remember the Denver "Orange Crush" with Jackson and Gradishar...and the Ravens 3-4 headed by Ray Lewis.
Those are great 3-4 defenses!