Defensive coordinator search

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Lots of names already getting bandied about. Evero looks like he's being kept in Charlotte which is a shame.

Does McVay want to stay with a Fangio system guy or expand beyond that?

Guys I'm curious about:
- Anthony Weaver and Chris Hewitt from the Ravens. Love MacDonald's multiple system. Not a lot of blitzing out of it though.
- Vrabel. He may get left out of the HC coaching cycle this year, his players dominate on that side of the ball. He most likely only lasts a year though.
- Wink. He's not a fav choice but like his pedigree.
- Leonard. A first choice for LaFleur before he hired Barry. Not that he's out at UW. He can be had. Word is his defense is boom or bust though.
- Shane Bowen. A Vrabel lieutenant.

*I would not be shocked to see Bilechuk as a defensive consultant here next year.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
Vrabel would be a good get. His defenses have always played hard.

JimY53

Pro Bowler
Name
JY53
Lots of names already getting bandied about. Evero looks like he's being kept in Charlotte which is a shame.

Does McVay want to stay with a Fangio system guy or expand beyond that?
That is the key question. There are Fangio guys out there ... Evero, Desai, Staley

Guys I'm curious about:
- Anthony Weaver and Chris Hewitt from the Ravens. Love MacDonald's multiple system. Not a lot of blitzing out of it though.
- Vrabel. He may get left out of the HC coaching cycle this year, his players dominate on that side of the ball. He most likely only lasts a year though.
- Wink. He's not a fav choice but like his pedigree.
- Leonard. A first choice for LaFleur before he hired Barry. Not that he's out at UW. He can be had. Word is his defense is boom or bust though.
- Shane Bowen. A Vrabel lieutenant.

*I would not be shocked to see Bilechuk as a defensive consultant here next year.
If McVay wants to go another route, then lots of possibilities

In 2017 I didn't want to go 3-4---I knew Phillips's defense and even though there were good aspects, I never like Robert Quinn having to cover. I am biased but Jack Youngblood had be brainwashed against 3-4 defenses. I like 4 DL rather than 3. I like the type of athler a 4-3 requires.

But the 3-4 offers more versatility and grew to accept it. Things ar different now in that 3-4s are mostly TITE fronts now ...

but I would WANT a 4-3, always have. And now 4-3s and 4-2-5 anyway. Brown can play shade, Donald 3-tech. Jones? No problem. We'd still need a high draft pick DE ... Young could play weak DE ...

Like in 2017 I won't get my wish but all things be equal, want a DeMeco Ryans. Saleh, Quinn (though he's doing a lot of things), etc ...

The only reason I defend Morris is all the lies that have been perpetrated. I studied the Fangio scheme and understand it a lot better than 3 years ago but would rather pattern a defense after the 49ers, Texans, Jets, Cowboys, Bengals, Browns but they are becoming more rare and Fangio still spreads.

WestCoastRam

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I should have added Staley. I think he was stretched too thin and didn't know how to delegate as a HC. When he dialed in on certain games, the defense brought it. But that was too few and far between.

I'd be happy to have him back though.

WestCoastRam

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
That is the key question. There are Fangio guys out there ... Evero, Desai, Staley

If McVay wants to go another route, then lots of possibilities

In 2017 I didn't want to go 3-4---I knew Phillips's defense and even though there were good aspects, I never like Robert Quinn having to cover. I am biased but Jack Youngblood had be brainwashed against 3-4 defenses. I like 4 DL rather than 3. I like the type of athler a 4-3 requires.

But the 3-4 offers more versatility and grew to accept it. Things ar different now in that 3-4s are mostly TITE fronts now ...

but I would WANT a 4-3, always have. And now 4-3s and 4-2-5 anyway. Brown can play shade, Donald 3-tech. Jones? No problem. We'd still need a high draft pick DE ... Young could play weak DE ...

Like in 2017 I won't get my wish but all things be equal, want a DeMeco Ryans. Saleh, Quinn (though he's doing a lot of things), etc ...

The only reason I defend Morris is all the lies that have been perpetrated. I studied the Fangio scheme and understand it a lot better than 3 years ago but would rather pattern a defense after the 49ers, Texans, Jets, Cowboys, Bengals, Browns but they are becoming more rare and Fangio still spreads.
I don't know much about Jets D staff but there could be interesting choices there.

Wonder what happened with Desai and Eagles? Was he scapegoated cause the age started to show in the back 7 or was he also a problem?

Last edited:

JimY53

Pro Bowler
Name
JY53
I don't know much about Jets D staff but there could be interesting choices there.

Wonder what happened with Desai and Eagles? Was he scapegoated cause the age started to show in the back 7 or was he also a problem?
Someone I talk to said Desai not tainted.
I asked is he hireable, he said, "I think so. He got a raw deal this year"

he then said Evero best fit and, "I would imagine that Chris Shula gets promoted if Evero isn’t available. Or maybe Staley again"

That is what he said. Not an insider or anything but trains players predraft and is expert on the Fangio scheme.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I’m open to the possibility that a pissed-off, focused Staley could be the right guy.

Like Brian Flores.

JimY53

Pro Bowler
Name
JY53
Some Jourdan

for full article --- subscribe

Internal
• Defensive backs coach/pass game coordinator Aubrey Pleasant

• Linebackers coach Chris Shula

• Assistant head coach Jimmy Lake
External
• Carolina Panthers defensive coordinator Ejiro Evero

.• Brandon Staley

• Baltimore Ravens assistant head coach/defensive line coach Anthony Weaver

• Wink Martindale

• Dallas Cowboys secondary coach Al Harris

• Denver Broncos defensive backs coach Christian Parker

• Baltimore Ravens linebackers coach Zach Orr

• Buffalo Bills linebackers coach Bobby Babich

• Cincinnati Bengals seconday/safeties coach Robert Livingston

JimY53

Pro Bowler
Name
JY53
Again, Fangio likely to Philly but if he were here there would be a revolt against him by certain folks

He plays off more than most DCs in NFL somewhat, but not exactly, like Rams in 20-22 and even in 23, though less

2024-01-13_18-13-15.jpg
2024-01-13_18-13-50.jpg
2024-01-13_18-14-30.jpg
2024-01-13_18-15-08.jpg
2024-01-13_18-16-53.jpg
2024-01-13_18-29-00.jpg
2024-01-13_18-48-36.jpg

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I don't know if McVay would rather hire an experienced coordinator again. Heard rumors he wanted to be more involved in the defense when he hired Staley. He wasn't with Phillips. But he mighta had too much on his plate.

I think he learned that he needs to just oversee the whole operation and let his assistants do their jobs. He seems less intense lately. Not sure if its because the team was much better than he expected. The new guys made the season enjoyable for him. Or maybe a new baby grounded him more. Maybe a little of both.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
Cincinnati Bengals seconday/safeties coach Robert Livingston
This is an interesting option. McVay was complimentary of Anarumo, especially his coverages.

From their joint practices:
Rams head coach Sean McVay was complimentary of Anarumo and the Bengals defense afterward.

“They’ve got a Rolodex of coverages. They play it all really sound,” McVay said. “There’s not a lot of air in the coverages, and they mix it up really well. … In a lot of instances, whether it’s watching these guys or even just spending a little bit of time with Lou Anarumo, I have tremendous respect for him and what his group has done, especially just looking at their trajectory since Zac (Taylor) took over. I’m just such a fan of the game, and I’ve got so much respect for the way that they operate.”

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Wouldn't mind seeing Vrabel come over for a one year. If that were to happen McVay could pick his mind re: the Belicheat and Parcells approach to things. The Staley hiring felt like it was for him to learn the ins and outs of that Fangio system.

But I am confident we'll come out of this in good shape. Thankfully this didn't stretch out any longer.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Wouldn't mind seeing Vrabel come over for a one year. If that were to happen McVay could pick his mind re: the Belicheat and Parcells approach to things. The Staley hiring felt like it was for him to learn the ins and outs of that Fangio system.

But I am confident we'll come out of this in good shape. Thankfully this didn't stretch out any longer.
I can't see Vrabel take a DC job at all. A consultant for a HC he knows sure I get that. A DC? Just can't see it at all.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I wonder how much a minority hire will factor into the decision of who they hire. San Francisco cashed in twice now with minority DCs.

The Rams did it with Raheem and Holmes. The extra picks are nice.

JimY53

Pro Bowler
Name
JY53
Lou Anarumo, I have tremendous respect for him and what his group has done, especially just looking at their trajectory since Zac (Taylor) took over. I’m just such a fan of the game, and I’ve got so much respect for the way that they operate.”
Anarumo is a "all of the above" guy. He's not Fangio he's not pure Rex Ryan blitz, he runs tons of things... including 4-3, 3-4 all types of coverages.

He runs quarters and 6/8 but he's above average in man coverage and average in cover 3, a little above average in cover-3

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
Anarumo is a "all of the above" guy. He's not Fangio he's not pure Rex Ryan blitz, he runs tons of things... including 4-3, 3-4 all types of coverages.

He runs quarters and 6/8 but he's above average in man coverage and average in cover 3, a little above average in cover-3
Sounds good to me. Personally I would like someone from the Ravens staff, but Livingston would be a 2nd.