Davis arm strength lacking

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Davis using the audibles and making correct reads impressed me more than his lack of arm strength.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Has anyone seen a compilation of Davis' throws? I didn't see any Austin Davis highlights on NFL.com (even though he won the damn game).

I'd like to to look at his footwork. o_O

209RamsFan

If he helps us WIN....all the strengths or lack-there-of, will be well worth it..

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Lol, anyone claiming his arm strength is average is just taking the homer angle. That being said, as long as he keeps a short internal clock for coverage sacks, and gets rid of the ball...he should do ok.

He's also making progressions fairly well. We'll see how he does against some better secondaries. Cowboys are about on par with Tampa in the regard.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Eh. I don't know about that. I felt like he didn't have a ton of zip on the Tavon throw which contributed in Tavon getting blown up.
So you can't even give him credit for one throw, LOL.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
His arm is fine. All he has to do is keep hitting his receivers.
Montana rarely threw a ball 30 yds.

PeteMD

UDFA
On every throw my heart nearly stopped, because the ball was so long in the air and I anticipated an interception. :eek:
But as the game went on...I got used to it. He is throwing like this all his life and it didnt stop him being successfull in Southern Mississippi.

His accuracy, composure and (at least for me) most important fire/demeanmour were very impressive.

Can't wait until sunday to see how our Rams get another win!

RFIP

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Davis's arm strength is underwhelming. However, I disagree that he's a see it throw it QB. That's definitely not what I observed. He made some throws while under pressure that necessitated getting the ball out to a spot ahead of when the receiver was coming open.

He tends to throw it where the receiver IS instead of where he is GOING, that is my point I guess, that I am trying to make. There are several examples of it Sunday, or maybe he's just not used to all of the receivers yet. We shall see.

At any rate, that is what stuck out to me.

nighttrain

Legend
That clutch 3rd down pass facing pressure throwing down the seam to a well covered Pettis was amazing. I like Bradford, but that's one of the best plays I've seen a Ram QB make in a long time.
from what i saw Davis has adequate arm strength, some of his passes were bullets, the ones that were float almost seemed planned on his part so his big receivers could do their jobs, using their height and strength to make the catch. We shall see
train

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Personally, I don't care about his arm strength, we've seen a few busts hit the NFL with monster arms - as long as Davis hits the WR and keeps the drive moving, thats all I care about... let our WRs earn their pay check and win us some YAC ;)

jjab360

Legend
He tends to throw it where the receiver IS instead of where he is GOING, that is my point I guess, that I am trying to make. There are several examples of it Sunday, or maybe he's just not used to all of the receivers yet. We shall see.

He's plenty used to these receivers. I think sometimes people forget that Davis has been in this offense for 3 years now working with Schotty, and Quick, Pettis, Givens, and Bailey have all been second team receivers at one point working primarily with Davis. That's why he looks so comfortable out there and not like a normal first time starter would look.

As far as not throwing to where his receivers are going to be, I'm going to disagree there. Threw to Cook on the wheel route when he saw the defender with his back turned, same with Pettis on the seam route, didn't wait for either receiver to come open, threw those guys open. I think what you might be talking about are some of the comeback routes, but he did what he was supposed to do there, waited for the receiver to sit down between zones and then let it rip.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

One game RFIP....One game we need to see more of him before you can make an analysis. Overall the kid brings quite a bit to the table from leadership standpoint, but there is not enough data to even analyse that ability as well.

Let's see going forward how he handles adversity and if he'll even get the chance to face the likes of the Seahawks & 49ers. I believe he'll be starting against the Cowboys so you'll have another game to put under a microscope.

With that being posted IMO the future Ram signal caller is still playing on Saturday, however, if Davis continues to improve and actually throws some touchdown passes maybe just maybe our prayers have been answered.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
He had a better game than Johnny Football!

RFIP

One game RFIP....One game we need to see more of him before you can make an analysis. Overall the kid brings quite a bit to the table from leadership standpoint, but there is not enough data to even analyse that ability as well.

Let's see going forward how he handles adversity and if he'll even get the chance to face the likes of the Seahawks & 49ers. I believe he'll be starting against the Cowboys so you'll have another game to put under a microscope.

With that being posted IMO the future Ram signal caller is still playing on Saturday, however, if Davis continues to improve and actually throws some touchdown passes maybe just maybe our prayers have been answered.

His leadership, date I say, is Clemens-esque.

And I disagree with you on another point but I'll keep that to myself for now.

Big Game

Living The Dream
YAC doesn't have much to do with arm strength, it's just the type of routes our receivers run and how well they break tackles.

Exactly usually teams that you see with a lot of YAC run routes that compromise the defense. So you see 15 or 20 yard digs with out routes and crosses. Therefore defenders are left on an "island" so to speak and when that happens if the ball is on time from the QB YAC is achieved.

The Rams don't run a lot of deep multiply routes. Most are within the 15 yard range therefore the defense is pretty close to the line and our WR's.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I respectfully disagree. I saw a breakdown of 7 or 8 passes where Davis is in the process of throwing, and you can see the recievers downfield. It was designed to be a guessing game as to which reciever ultimately caught the ball. Great footage and in each instance the ball was just about out of Davis hand and the receivers hadnt even made their break yet. I think Davis is a spot thrower which I find curious considering he must not be a great practice player.
I do agree that his arm strength is below average and on several of his throws Sunday I was petrified waiting for the ball to reach target.

jjab360

Legend
He had a better game than Johnny Football!
I remember during our game with Cleveland after Davis scrambled for a first down, I kind of tongue in cheek said that Davis was the better QB. Who knows, I might've been right. :eek:

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
His leadership, date I say, is Clemens-esque.

And I disagree with you on another point but I'll keep that to myself for now.

Clemens was known for being a good leader. I'd say that is a compliment for a 3rd string QB. I see similarities. We may not have found a starter, but I think we may have found a long term competent backup.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
"Soooo...what is is arm strength you speak of that is so crucial to success RFIP? "
th
You beat me to it, Again! As I scrolled down I was thinking of Montana's so called ' Lack of Arm strength Too!!:LOL: :D

RFIP

Clemens was known for being a good leader. I'd say that is a compliment for a 3rd string QB. I see similarities. We may not have found a starter, but I think we may have found a long term competent backup.

It was meant as a compliment.