Davis arm strength lacking

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
"Staring down receivers" is something all QBs do. I once made a video of Brady and Rodgers doing that (surprise, I know), and it's fairly easy to see why they do it. It's either a pre-snap read that has a receiver in iso-coverage, or it's a post-snap read that shows a favorable matchup that the QB wants to see the receiver take advantage of, or it's simply the play call. All due respect to those who think that any QB is guilty of it (not even talking about Bradford), but you're not thinking this through.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
My hope for Davis is that he plays well enough this year that we decide to make him our permanent #2 ,give him the money we have in Hill ,I in no way expect him to become our #1,draft someone with all the attributes you want high and dare I say bring Sam back next year ?
At this point in the week IMO Hill shouldn't be under consideration to start regardless how much his leg has improved ,the bye being upon us and the ability to let him recover that much more before pressing him into action is the smart thing to do

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I guess that you are saying that RGIII is toast then? Glad we got the better of that trade then!

I'm not communicating that...History shows us that, however, maybe both will come back and I hope both do FWIW's.

nighttrain

Legend
His leadership, date I say, is Clemens-esque.

And I disagree with you on another point but I'll keep that to myself for now.
Clemens out of football, Davis in 2nd start this week, comparing apples to oranges, wont work
train

nighttrain

Legend
I'm willing to go on record with you on this.

Sam has the talent. It's not even a question in my mind.

His health? A worthy debate.

But when he's healthy he'll be good somewhere, if not in STL.
Right on CGI
train

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
He'll be in someone's plans my friend, and that may turn out to be even garded to see/watch.

As I say, in 2015 he'll be Warner's age from 99'.

We shall see.

It's almost a certainty that he will get signed by someone if the Rams cut him, just look at the QB's in the NFL that are on rosters, but it will be on a "prove it" deal and he won't be appointed the starter unless he is picked up by a bottom dweller team that has nobody on the roster at the position. GM's are not going to be lining up for a guy like Bradford because he's a question mark in too many ways.

Fact is Bradford is at a career crossroad. He's played below his draft slot, salary and expectations and he has been injured too often. He's a pretty big risk and there is no denying that.

ausmurp

Starter
I would argue that Cignetti has coached Davis up. He looks a lot better than he did at Southern Miss or even since last year. Why the complaints about our QBs coach, seems like an odd scapegoat considering the situation, imo.

No it's not a scape goat, it's my non biased opinion of the Rams coaching staff. Again this is my 'imo', just as you have yours. My 'imo' is not a scapegoat it's my 'imo.' I can call your 'imo' a blind biased assessment of our favorite team the Rams who have had one of the worst offenses in the NFL for 7 straight years. And while having one of the worst offenses - wait not just in the NFL but in the HISTORY of the NFL for a 7 year span - the team has been building a defense that has only been top 10 for 1 of those years...so to recap:

7 straight years of one of the worst offenses in NFL HISTORY over that span.
7 straight years of a mediocre defense while having this terrible offense.
Draft Bradford 1st overall who has amazing potential but then fail to provide the coaches necessary to build upon that potential and create a superstar QB. Had we traded that pick for Berger and Steelers draft Bradford, under Arians Bradford would've been great. And with that coaching staff and team he would've been as good or better than Berger.

Fisher has been here for 3 of those years now - almost half of that span. So in my opinion, I'm not sold on Fisher or his staff as coaches that will EVER have a GOOD offense. And I don't think anyone on Fisher's staff can mold a QB into one that can be anything other than a decent game manager. Fact is into his 3rd season Fisher is a major disappointment. I think it's pretty clear that unless Austin Davis is the next Kurt Warner or Drew Brees (minus the QB genius coaches they had/have), we are going to have a losing season. And based on our performance thus far our defense will be mediocre again and our offense will be bottom 10 again.

I'm over it and ready to move on. We all have our opinions, these are mine and they're fair based on the output of the Rams over the last 7 years. Not saying they're right or wrong but they're fair.

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
"Staring down receivers" is something all QBs do. I once made a video of Brady and Rodgers doing that (surprise, I know), and it's fairly easy to see why they do it. It's either a pre-snap read that has a receiver in iso-coverage, or it's a post-snap read that shows a favorable matchup that the QB wants to see the receiver take advantage of, or it's simply the play call. All due respect to those who think that any QB is guilty of it (not even talking about Bradford), but you're not thinking this through.

Your probably right that they all do it at some point depending on the situation. The key thing for me is what they do when that first guy is not getting open. Brady or Rodgers will move on to the next option because they are not actually locked on to the first guy even though that might be where their eyes are.

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
I agree with the premise of this article. I noticed the same thing. I also think it is interesting that the receivers are not dropping as many catches this year. Could that be because of he difference between Bradfords throwing speed and the other QB's?

RFIP

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
However, Kurt was not coming off two ACL surgeries on the same knee and no quarterback has ever been able to come back from such devastating injuries, but here's hoping Sam is the first!

How many have there been in your sample size?

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
[QUOTE="ausmurp, post: 405232, member: 959" Fisher has been here for 3 of those years now - almost half of that span. [/QUOTE]

2 years and 1/8th of a season . . . but it's opinion accuracy doesn't matter much

MauiRam

Rookie
Some of the intermediate patterns he threw had a little loft on them but ultimately made it easier for the receiver to come down with it. Short passes seemed to have enough zip on them, imo. In my amateur opinion, pure arm strength is overrated, some of the greats had huge arms, some had average arms, some of the biggest busts of all time had cannons. It all depends on accuracy, timing, and mental preparation.
I seem to recall a diminutive guy without much of a "cannon" by the name of Joe Montana, and he seemed to do pretty good in spite of that specific handicap. The only time he ever looked bad was when they used to have that qb competition back in the day, where one of the events was how far a qb could throw it. Joe was terrible in that particular contest - never lost him any games though. Timing, timing, timing!

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
Davis does not have an all world arm like Bradford. We get it. :mad:

Just the same I like the kid and so do a lot of other Ram fans.

Athos

Legend
Yes. He doesn't have Sam's arm. Few QBs actually, have Bradford's arm in the NFL right now. He actually has one of the strongest.

But I honestly don't think we've seen enough of Davis at this level to gauge "arm limitation." I think he can make most NFL throws. Maybe not those frozen ropes you need on those deep skinny post routes, or the ones going across his body to the sideline, but I don't think we have tons of those routes in the PB anyway.

Philly5

Rookie
Would be great if Davis develops into a solid NFL QB. That said, I think many are making way too much out of one decent game against a very bad defense. Hope to be wrong when we start running up against the 49ers, Seahawks, etc...

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
As , was stated on another thread, other QB's have been credited with having, not very strong of an arm and done quite well! Joe Montana comes to mind wright off the top of my head! Not saying Davis is the next Montana, But it's his 1st career start!