Davis arm strength lacking

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RFIP

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Unlike Bradford, Davis doesn't appear to be staring down his WR most of the time....

Question for you. All those times Sam "starred down" his wrs, how many ints did it lead too?

See when I read "analysis" like that I simply can't take the rest of the post seriously.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
I think that's an unfair assessment, while he's no Bradford, he's definitely no Chad Pennington either. While his arm strength definitely isn't up to par with some of the gunslingers of the league that doesn't mean he's got some noodle arm. He's got a sufficient amount of arm, while he's not going to break any fingertips he's still going to put the ball on guys in good spots. He's definitely not floating balls to guys when they're not supposed to and we're not having to run the wild cat to avoid exposing how weak his arm is.

I get that some people weren't high on the guy, but jeez some of this criticism is so ridiculous it's hard not to question if it's born from malice or not.

jjab360

Legend
I really wish we had a good QB coaching staff. We should try to steal away some good QB coach and coach Davis up. He has a ton of potential if we could just coach him better. Honestly I don't think any QB stands much of a chance on our team with our current QB coaching staff...
I would argue that Cignetti has coached Davis up. He looks a lot better than he did at Southern Miss or even since last year. Why the complaints about our QBs coach, seems like an odd scapegoat considering the situation, imo.

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
He's got enough arm to make all the throws. Not every pass has to be a bullet. More importantly he showed outstanding vision and dished the ball around like he was Magic Johnson. I think QB's with big arms are a dime a dozen while the ones with great vision are rare.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
After a win, some things look better than they really are. Reverse can be said, after a loss. This sport brings out passion unlike any other sport... that emotion throws judgment off.

Before the Tampa game, Davis was a serious question mark by most everyone and most nobody saw him as a viable starter.

One week/win later... Let's bench Hill!

I am really-really rooting for Davis. But I see his arm strength as a real issue. I also wonder how he'll respond to a defense that gets creative with the blitz.

Let's hope he continues his success. That would be HUGE for us!

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I've been really impressed with his reads. Unlike Bradford, Davis doesn't appear to be staring down his WR most of the time. On Sunday I saw him progress through his reads and make above average throws.

I really wish we had a good QB coaching staff. We should try to steal away some good QB coach and coach Davis up. He has a ton of potential if we could just coach him better. Honestly I don't think any QB stands much of a chance on our team with our current QB coaching staff...

Told you, @-X-

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Davis against Keenum's squad in 2011....

RFIP

He's got enough arm to make all the throws. Not every pass has to be a bullet. More importantly he showed outstanding vision and dished the ball around like he was Magic Johnson. I think QB's with big arms are a dime a dozen while the ones with great vision are rare.

People always say "he can make all the throws..." But it's usually when a guy CANT make all the throws that this is said and that's the case here.

From the pocket a deep out or mist sideline throws will have to have OUTSTANDING timing or a wide open receiver or he's in trouble.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
Yes and he doesn't have a 4.4 40 yd'r either but thankfully no one set of measurables is a make or break for Mr Davis.... well I guess if he was 4 foot tall that wouldn't help ;) lol

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
People always say "he can make all the throws..." But it's usually when a guy CANT make all the throws that this is said and that's the case here.

From the pocket a deep out or mist sideline throws will have to have OUTSTANDING timing or a wide open receiver or he's in trouble.

Did you see the game RFIP? He was throwing fine. 22-29 is a good day for a starter let alone a third string project.

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
I've been really impressed with his reads. Unlike Bradford, Davis doesn't appear to be staring down his WR most of the time. On Sunday I saw him progress through his reads and make above average throws.

Any evidence that they are not coaching Davis up? What would you think needs to be taught that isn't? What potential isn't being maximized?

As far as Bradford "staring down" . . . one of the thousands of flaws Sam had. It's w wonder Davis didn't beat him out last couple of years. Or Clemens or Hill. Our coaches must be just plain bad.

RFIP

Any evidence that they are not coaching Davis up? What would you think needs to be taught that isn't? What potential isn't being maximized?

As far as Bradford "staring down" . . . one of the thousands of flaws Sam had. It's w wonder Davis didn't beat him out last couple of years. Or Clemens or Hill. Our coaches must be just plain bad.

I never said there was none. Just said they are a lot FEWER here.

lockdnram21

Legend
I have nothing but a guy feeling on this one coach so you certainly have all the ammo at present.

But we shall see.

Keep in mind age-wise next year he will still only be as old as Kurt was in 99'.
Why would the Rams keep Bradford? He can't stay healthy. At some point u gotta start over or at least draft some one to prepare for future. Just kind of hard to see Bradford still in plans

RFIP

Why would the Rams keep Bradford? He can't stay healthy. At some point u gotta start over or at least draft some one to prepare for future. Just kind of hard to see Bradford still in plans

He'll be in someone's plans my friend, and that may turn out to be even garded to see/watch.

As I say, in 2015 he'll be Warner's age from 99'.

We shall see.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
He'll be in someone's plans my friend, and that may turn out to be even garded to see/watch.

As I say, in 2015 he'll be Warner's age from 99'.

We shall see.

I'm willing to go on record with you on this.

Sam has the talent. It's not even a question in my mind.

His health? A worthy debate.

But when he's healthy he'll be good somewhere, if not in STL.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Keep in mind age-wise next year he will still only be as old as Kurt was in 99'.

However, Kurt was not coming off two ACL surgeries on the same knee and no quarterback has ever been able to come back from such devastating injuries, but here's hoping Sam is the first!

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
However, Kurt was not coming off two ACL surgeries on the same knee and no quarterback has ever been able to come back from such devastating injuries, but here's hoping Sam is the first!

I guess that you are saying that RGIII is toast then? Glad we got the better of that trade then!

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I was enjoying this thread before it started turning to a Bradford discussion.

But I'd like to say that I am pleasantly surprised by how well he played vs Tampa. From preseason on--not just that last game--he has been coming in and leading drives, and I've been intrigued by his intangibles, the way the guys around him respond when he's in there.

That last drive... it was huge for a young QB. Just huge. The game period was huge for him. I don't know if he can continue to anticipate and see things the way he has, but his ability to keep his eyes downfield while showing a good feel for the rush and avoiding it is impressive to me. That is a big skill at the NFL level, one that can make a QB some money.

Will he be able to do that against better defenses? Or how about just another consecutive game with another poor defense (Dallas). Who knows, but if this guy keeps doing what he's been doing, the Rams will win games with him at QB.

The way this team is being built the Rams don't need a top QB. They just need a guy to move the ball to what is a very underrated group of receiving options. He looks like he can do that. And what about adding Bailey to the mix?

We might come down to earth this next game, but for now I'm excited about this team again, and it feels good.