David Shaw Visited Rams Today

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Put words in mouths much?
First off, Fisher won't be fired, his contract will expire. IMO he has failed as a HC and doesn't deserve a new contract.
He's done some good things sure. But being elevated to team President using failure as HC on his resume doesn't pass muster with me. Why didn't Linehan or Spagnolo get front office jobs?
Fisher seems like a good guy, a guy who would be fun to hang out and have a beer with. But I don't want him near my football team.

I'm sorry DB, what words did I put in your mouth?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Well, Shaw is not my first choice but maybe since he is used to coaching intelligent players, he will value that trait, at least on offense where it seems to be lacking for the Rams.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Why didn't Linehan or Spagnolo get front office jobs?

My opinion on that would be that they were not only inadequate as Head Coaches, like Fisher. But unlike Fisher, they don't possess the other qualities needed in a FO position?

The truth is I'm catching flack simply for writing something that suggested he might not be terrible in a position off the field.
My agreeing that he's been a disappointment as a HC and has lost my confidence isn't enough.

If I say anything positive about him, I must love him? I'm just falling for all the Pro-JF Rams spin? That I'm somehow part of their propaganda network? That I am him? - because that's actually, literally the kind of SH!T I've been getting over it.
So please pardon me if I get a little defensive and end up guilty of painting with unfairly wide brush...

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Dude.. that's the thing... I HAVE NOT given him credit as a HC.
I've said multiple times that he hasn't been good enough.
I just don't love to hate him.

I'm just not going to act like he is terrible at everything.

This "Us or Them" "love him or hate him" bullcrap is getting out of hand.
The guy has been a disappointment.
But some of you are going to be upset with any outcome that doesn't go your way.
When Fisher is fired, has his mustache shaved against his will by Michael J. Fox and is forced to walk down Sunset Blvd with only fishnet stockings and red lipstick on while everyone points and says "SHAME"... I'm sure that it will solve all the Rams problems..

Wow... that's some imagination.

I just don't think Fisher's a good coach. I was excited to have him as a HC at first. I became disenfranchised with his tenure over time. I don't love or hate him. I am dissatisfied with his results as a HC for the Rams. The rest of that is all you.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Wow... that's some imagination.

I just don't think Fisher's a good coach. I was excited to have him as a HC at first. I became disenfranchised with his tenure over time. I don't love or hate him. I am dissatisfied with his results as a HC for the Rams. The rest of that is all you.

Imagination? That's pretty funny in a way-off-mark and condescending kind of way.
Considering the rest of your post, I think maybe you know a thing or two about imagining things:
I didn't quote you there, did I?
I didn't speak your name once in that post, didnt tag you in it, didn't respond.....
.... and you want to talk about imagination?

(In my best Billy Joel voice)
"...You probably think this post is about you, don't you?"
;)

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
My opinion on that would be that they were not only inadequate as Head Coaches, like Fisher. But unlike Fisher, they don't possess the other qualities needed in a FO position?

The truth is I'm catching flack simply for writing something that suggested he might not be terrible in a position off the field.
My agreeing that he's been a disappointment as a HC and has lost my confidence isn't enough.

If I say anything positive about him, I must love him? I'm just falling for all the Pro-JF Rams spin? That I'm somehow part of their propaganda network? That I am him? - because that's actually, literally the kind of SH!T I've been getting over it.
So please pardon me if I get a little defensive and end up guilty of painting with unfairly wide brush...
Here's my take on it
Fisher has failed in his role as HC. We agree.
Front office? Team president? I just don't see how that's possible. Seems to me that the former players/coaches that elevate to FO positions have a history of success with the organization
End of the day, I just want a winning team.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
Imagination? That's pretty funny in a way-off-mark and condescending kind of way.
Considering the rest of your post, I think maybe you know a thing or two about imagining things:
I didn't quote you there, did I?
I didn't speak your name once in that post, didnt tag you in it, didn't respond.....
.... and you want to talk about imagination?

(In my best Billy Joel voice)
"...You probably think this post is about you, don't you?"
;)

Well, hold on. Your post was filled with projection. And tons of imagination. That just...is. How you read into that, I can't say. And it's too hard to reply with context and nuance in text. I mean, I stated something fairly obvious and you took it as condescending. See? Text is just...limiting.

As for your blue quote... I think you mean Carly Simon. Billy Joel might have done a cover, but the song's "You're So Vain" by Carly Simon.

And no, didn't think it was about me at all. I thought the post was about the Rams and football and since I'm here to talk about the Rams and football...I responded to it.

Crazy, right?

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
since he is used to coaching intelligent players, he will value that trait, at least on offense where it seems to be lacking for the Rams
Stanford does not always equate to intelligence. See their swim team or Stanley Wilson II.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
@badnews , @Mackeyser , @dieterbrock Let's take a breath. First off, I can see what BadNews is saying. People have been attacking him simply because he has had alternative thoughts on Fisher besides fire his ass. Unfortunately, answering some of it with sarcasm or retort often falls flat in type. It seems to have resulted in a bunch of hard feelings between members I consider pretty damn good posters on most fronts - whether I agree with yawlz or not.

This whole Fire Fisher debate is pitting members against each other even when they somewhat agree with each other but on varying degrees.

I don't think anyone is happy with the product on the field so let's just let cooler heads prevail - eh?

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
@badnews , @Mackeyser , @dieterbrock .... It seems to have resulted in a bunch of hard feelings between members I consider pretty damn good posters on most fronts

Thanks... I hope to be a good poster but I know I have a way of expressing myself that is partly to blame.... but just so it's known, I do not hold any hard feelings towards @dieterbrock or @Mackeyser.
They are passionate about the Rams and so am I. We just disagree about Jeff Fisher and whether he is a disappointing coach who deserves some credit where it's due or whether he is a disappointing coach who deserves all the negativity being leveled at him.... ; ) Seriously though, I have no issues with either and I hope the other guys feel the same way.

...let's just let cooler heads prevail - eh?

Absolutely.

BriansRams

"Rams next Superbowl is 2023 season." - (Oct 2022)
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
She needs to work on taking snaps from under center.. I'll grab my pads.

Maybe during snap practice SHE should be the center. I'll play QB for that. I'll do just as many shot gun formations too, and run the play clock all the way down to 1 second, every time.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Thanks... I hope to be a good poster but I know I have a way of expressing myself that is partly to blame.... but just so it's known, I do not hold any hard feelings towards @dieterbrock or @Mackeyser.
They are passionate about the Rams and so am I. We just disagree about Jeff Fisher and whether he is a disappointing coach who deserves some credit where it's due or whether he is a disappointing coach who deserves all the negativity being leveled at him.... ; ) Seriously though, I have no issues with either and I hope the other guys feel the same way.

Absolutely.
I just want to be clear that I'm not pointing fingers at anyone. In this debate about coaching, there'd be three fingers pointing right back at me. It's just a no win argument. I know there is no avoiding the HC discussion - especially when things are going this poorly. We just need to not throw each other under the bus because we don't all agree on how it all should go.

Cheers.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
It's all good, boss.

We all know who's to blame... Janet Yellin. Dammit Janet!

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
On the subject of Fisher moving up into the Front Office - I don't agree that because he is not shown to be a successful HC that he cannot be a football operations guy. I can understand some not wanting him deciding on a new HC because they fear he would pic someone with as dull an offense as his. Not sure how a more dull offense is possible but....

Anywho, I actually like a run based offense with a top defense as long as you can do both run and pass and not give up 50 when you finally do. I think Fisher has a very good football mind. After all - it's not rocket science - right? Nice cheap shot at @jrry32 eh? I just don't think he has made the right decision on the offense. I do however think he sees that and knows what a good offense looks like. He just doesn't know how to run it himself.

Regardless, it's just my POV and I expect some will agree and some will disagree. Spice of life - yeah?

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
It's all speculation at this point but I did recall Fisher being in the rumor mill for the Rams HC gig back when Spags coached for us in 2011. Wouldn't be surprised if Shaw gets an interview in the offseason. While he is a relatively conservative coach; he does implement modern concepts.

Having Fisher relieved of his head coaching duties while having him shift focus on operations duties will likely have Williams retained as our DC; say what you want about the Saints game, that was an anomaly for what Williams is truly capable of. Now we just need an HC who will avoid all of the bone-headed mistakes Fisher makes consistently.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Stanford does not always equate to intelligence. See their swim team or Stanley Wilson II.

And Richard Sherman, ha ha. But at least the requirements to get in require a higher GPA. The Rams have a few guys that would never have made the cut.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
And Richard Sherman, ha ha. But at least the requirements to get in require a higher GPA. The Rams have a few guys that would never have made the cut.
Do they have a higher GPA requirement for football scholarships too or just for normal accepted enrollees? Serious question