Dante Fowler hurt

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
tell me about it. I'm 25 and have genetically tight muscles and IT bands that stretch the length of your leg that thought out alignments in knees and hips. long story short i have degenerative cartilage in my knees after years of wear and tear from school sports without knowing the damage and now its irreparable. and as a personal trainer it really blows. knees suck. I've been in and out of rehab for them for years. after what Bradford went through I pass no judgment that he contemplated retirement and its why I respect him so much.

Perspective on the topic.

Love that about this forum.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Check it out again Dave, he collapsed after the chest punch from #77...Was that Joeckle? Looked like the knee buckled inward...always a sign of ACL...just terrible...
I saw that but it didn't look like much of a chest punch, unless Donte is just fragile!

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Yet another reason for football players to engage in interdisciplinary activity like yoga.

And I mean SERIOUS yoga, not flavor of the month yoga. Serious yoga incorporated strength and balance and that requires building up corresponding ligaments and stabilizing muscles.

Far too often, these injuries occur, as LA stated when the power or elasticity ratios are grossly different.

Even back in the Soviet days of steroid use for their Olympic weight lifters, their guys and girls sustained far fewer injuries not because our guys and gals weren't on steroids, but because as a system, part of their weight training protocol was a significant stretching program. The Soviet athletes were amazed that the Americans looked so stiff that they could barely move and it was true.

Many of those issues remain today.

As we get better at muscle isolation, we grow the differentials which exacerbate the chances for injury. So...we can either slow down or balance the differentials. Since I don't see anyone wanting to see guys run slower, that pretty much leaves stretching programs like yoga, Pilates, etc.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
That video looked brutal. That sucks man, hope he gets better and comes back strong next year.

Young Ram

Hall of Fame
Yet another reason for football players to engage in interdisciplinary activity like yoga.

And I mean SERIOUS yoga, not flavor of the month yoga. Serious yoga incorporated strength and balance and that requires building up corresponding ligaments and stabilizing muscles.

Far too often, these injuries occur, as LA stated when the power or elasticity ratios are grossly different.

Even back in the Soviet days of steroid use for their Olympic weight lifters, their guys and girls sustained far fewer injuries not because our guys and gals weren't on steroids, but because as a system, part of their weight training protocol was a significant stretching program. The Soviet athletes were amazed that the Americans looked so stiff that they could barely move and it was true.

Many of those issues remain today.

As we get better at muscle isolation, we grow the differentials which exacerbate the chances for injury. So...we can either slow down or balance the differentials. Since I don't see anyone wanting to see guys run slower, that pretty much leaves stretching programs like yoga, Pilates, etc.

Man I remember I was starting out on P90X and they had yoga for one of their excercises. I thought "yoga?? What the heck is so extreme about yoga??"

Little did I know how intense it was and how much more flexible I got!

RamzFanz

Damnit
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...te-fowler-to-miss-rookie-season-with-acl-tear

Dante Fowler's season is over before it began.

In a crushing turn of events for the Jaguars, the team's first-round pass rusher has been lost for the year with the torn left ACL he suffered during Jacksonville's first rookie minicamp session on Friday, a source close to the situation told NFL Media columnist Michael Silver. The team later confirmed the injury.

Fowler was carted off the field after tumbling to the ground during 11-on-11 drills. The No. 3 overall pick grasped at his left knee before trainers descended to examine him and ultimately cart the defender away.

"Brutal," was the word general manager David Caldwell texted Silver, not understating the blow to a Jaguars defense that hoped Fowler would help them flip the switch.

Fowler was paired up against rookie offensive lineman Watts Dantzler when the knee bent awkwardly below him.

"I went to apologize to him (Fowler) and he was like, 'You're good, man. It's just football,'" Dantzler told ESPN's Michael DiRocco.

Hailing from Florida, Fowler was already talked about as a Defensive Rookie of the Year candidate, with NFL Media's Daniel Jeremiah calling him a pass rusher who "plays as hard as anyone in this draft class."

The rookie was set to see major time at Jacksonville's Leo position, furnishing this young defense with a high-motor edge rusher capable of blowing up the pocket. After the Jaguars finished sixth in the league last season with 45 sacks, Fowler was being counted on to help tug this long-lost club out of oblivion in the AFC South.

Instead, Jacksonville's season is off to an inglorious start.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
That's a shame. I'm liking what the Jaguars are building, and Fowler was one of my favorite players in the draft. Here's hoping he comes back strong and wrecks the AFC South next season.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
:eek::(

Bad bad stuff! We sure have felt their pain over here with ACI tears. UGLY event. I like Fowler a lot.

We could help them out with a trade. We are thick in experienced DE's like William Hayes or Eugene Sims & very short on experienced starting OL'ers .

One of these DE's for their newly signed Stefen Wisniewski so we could insert the veteran OLG in our OL so Boudreau would have more veteran options this seasons plus give the rookie Ol'ers some growing stewing time? It surely would not be taking advantage of them. Jags need a good starting DE in a bad way & both of there DE's are healthy & of good character. All 3 of the above players will be UFA's in 2016.

Jag's got lucky they we able to select one of the best interior OL'ers in the 3rd round in AJ Cann who will help out that interior OL.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
This makes two years in a row we will have seen little or nothing of the so called best " Defensive Player in the Draft!"

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
:eek::(

Bad bad stuff! We sure have felt their pain over here with ACI tears. UGLY event. I like Fowler a lot.

We could help them out with a trade. We are thick in experienced DE's like William Hayes or Eugene Sims & very short on experienced starting OL'ers .

One of these DE's for their newly signed Stefen Wisniewski so we could insert the veteran OLG in our OL so Boudreau would have more veteran options this seasons plus give the rookie Ol'ers some growing stewing time? It surely would not be taking advantage of them. Jags need a good starting DE in a bad way & both of there DE's are healthy & of good character. All 3 of the above players will be UFA's in 2016.

Jag's got lucky they we able to select one of the best interior OL'ers in the 3rd round in AJ Cann who will help out that interior OL.

If we wanted Wisniewski we would have just signed him

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Think it had to do with the other Raider OL'er Snead & Fisher signed from them back in 2012?

From the looks of that past SW event one would think that Boudreau just did not care for Wisniewski style of play and wanted fully healthy very young bodes this time around. I agree with him.

Alan

Legend
Mackeyser with stuff about ligaments:
Stuff.
Another issue that greatly impacts athletes who do serious weght training is that they never give their ligaments and tendons the time needed to catch up to their muscle growth. You should stay at the same weight until your ligaments and tendons catch up IMO. Hard to do when you're trying to make the team and you're not strong enough. You can't suddenly start a weight traing program to get stronger and not expect to have your muscles get stronger than what you ligaments and tendons can handle.

http://www.quora.com/Do-tendons-and-ligaments-joints-get-stronger-with-weight-training
Do tendons and ligaments (joints) get stronger with weight training?

Darren Beattie, Strength Coach

Yes.

Ligament development ties in heavily with bone density development.

Tendons with Muscle.

Tendon development doesn't happen as quickly as muscle development but is quicker than ligament or bone development.

The latter two components are typically estimated to take about 6 months to adapt to constant or repeated strain on the system.

Tendons closer to 3-6 months.

Muscle closer to 1-3 months.

Of course this depends on your training age, nutritional intake, and a bunch of other factors for consideration.

Most of the tissue in your body is made up of two basic proteins, Collagen and Elastin. The ratio's of these basically determine whether something is muscle (more elastin) or tendon (more collagen than bone, not as much elastin as muscle) or ligament (more collagen than tendons, not as much as bones) or bone. Arteries have a lot of elastin, particularly near the heart, your skin is also a ratio of these two, actually most of the connective tissues in your body are some ratio of these two that makes for ideal use-case, but that's besides the point.

*It is slightly more complicated than this, but that's the quick gist.

The point is, they will all adjust to accomodate the loads you are working with in a strength training program.

Contrary to what someone indicated, you don't have to try to take the muscle out of the equation and stress the joint directly via short ranges of motion; In fact, that's probably a bad idea as you're looking at adverse shear or compression forces on the joint which may exceed capacity.

Your basic progression in heavy lifts like squats, bench, press, olympic lifting, chin-ups, etc... will do.

If you're relatively new to weight training, start by lifting about 8 Rep Max. Once you've made significant progress (probably about 3 months time) you will need to add more weight and increase the intensity, whereby you should probably move to a 5-8 RM (again, probably roughly 3 months, but those are loose guidelines, depending on training experience, do you have a coach, how much can you train, etc...etc...), then you will probably move towards training in a 3-6 RM (Rep Max), until you are ready to go after sub-3RM loads, or higher intensities that put you closer and closer to your 1RM.

There is NOTHING wrong with this progression, provided you execute exercises correctly, and individualize where appropriate.

More often than not, you may never want to go to a higher intensity than 3RM, but the health benefits of this lifting range are largely ignored by the general population. Strength/power development along with mobility/flexibility are the two best indicators of quality of life as we age.

Women in particular benefit from high intensity lifting periodically, as it prevents leaching of minerals from bones (osteroporosis) later in life, which they are more prone to than men.

Furthermore, if you want your muscles to get bigger, making sure you have a big chassis goes a long way to support the new muscular bulk, lifting in this range allows for more muscle development by creating a bigger chassis.

Your body simply won't let you put more horsepower in your car (human body), without increasing the size of the chassis, which is what high intensity lifting does.

1-6 reps is most associated with ligament, bone, and tendon development, so you'll want to utilize it at some point in a well thought out strength training program.
Written 10 Dec, 2012. 3,240 views.

Charles Miske, Author, Climber, Trail Running, Skyru... (more)

Yes, but it takes a LOT longer, since tendons and ligaments respond to stress differently from muscles, and do not have the same blood flow and growth mechanisms that muscles do.

If you look around you can find various programs to strengthen them, and most I've seen involve using massive weights over very short distances in planes of motion that take the contraction of the muscle out of the picture so the joints are stressed more directly.

The risk of injury is high however, so if you choose to do something like that, please be very careful.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...rd-round-pick-jeff-heuerman-suffers-torn-acl/

Broncos third-round pick Jeff Heuerman suffers torn ACL
Posted by Michael David Smith on May 9, 2015

heuerman.jpeg
AP

Broncos rookie tight end Jeff Heuerman will miss the entire season after tearing his ACL at practice today.

Heuerman, a third-round draft pick, was injured while running down the field on a special teams drill at rookie minicamp. He was carted off the field and diagnosed with a torn ACL.

I feel terrible for Jeff and this is a very unfortunate situation,” Broncos coach Gary Kubiak said. “Jeff was going to be a big part of our team this year, and he’s still going to be a big part of our team and organization in the future. He’ll get well and be with us as part of this team throughout his rehabilitation.”

The Broncos were hoping Heuerman could make an immediate impact on an offense that lost top tight end Julius Thomas to free agency. Instead, Heuerman will spend his rookie season rehabbing.

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
Wow is DR. Andrews gonna be a much more busy man real soon. The swelling needs to go down before surgery I hear. Hope Doc is training his Elisha to take his mantle when he retires. This is starting to demand some kind of action and not over reaction. Lots of awesome intelligent articles and insight in this thread . Feel like I need an anatomy credit for reading it all. I believe we can change some things and slow some of this stuff from happening in our favorite sport. Ya'll know we are a turf team and teams have gone as far as watering their fields and not cutting their grass when we were the GSOT.

If we can build this team that imposes its will and takes the game backwards into the past with success ,get ready for these types of moves once again with a different style team.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://mmqb.si.com/2015/05/19/nfl-r...mukong-suh-eli-manning-tom-brady-deflategate/

I think Jaguars defensive end Dante Fowler Jr. should lean on Rams rookie Todd Gurley as much as possible after tearing his ACL in rookie minicamp. The two trained together at EXOS in Pensacola, Fla., this spring, so Fowler had a firsthand view of Gurley’s road back after the same injury ended his college career.

(In this video at the 45-second mark you can see Fowler spotting Gurley on the bench press.) Players who have gone through ACL recovery often talk about how important it is to have other players to talk to, and there isn’t anything that Fowler will encounter that Gurley hasn’t already gone through.