Cowboys sign LSU OT La'el Collins

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I related news, the Cowboys have built electrified fences around their team facilities.

Jerry Jones stated that it is a totally unrelated coincidence.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Fisher won twice as many games in 3 years as Spags did, so i don't see the results as being even remotely equal.

Also, after 3 years of Spags we were a train wreck needing a complete rebuild. I don't think anyone thinks that about Fisher's Rams after 3 years...
I dunno.

You strike me as a results oriented person. Kind of pass/fail.

So, you must be feeling much better with Fisher, even after going 6-10 last season?

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
Nice miss Rams.
They couldn't afford the 7th round pick they got for Stacy?
Gurley better run 100+ yards a game and the OL better be ranked n the top 5

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Nice miss Rams.
Or?

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
dog_fear_thmb.jpg

Memphis Ram

Legend
Nice miss Rams.
Collins better turn out to be better and make more of an impact than the guys already has on the roster.

Just like everyone else, he could still turn out to be a bust you know. Or just average ala Chance Warmack who was even more celebrated coming out of college.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I heard on the radio that if Collins had been drafted, he then could have sat out a year and entered next years draft. But by being completely bypassed he can't be eligible for next year. Not sure if ultimately the collision to not draft him helped or hurt. I still say that under the circumstances they should have allowed him entry in the supplemental draft

Moostache

Rookie
The interesting thing to me is the diametrically opposite approaches of the Rams and Cowboys to building an effective offense.

Rams have linked the train to Gurley to (hopefully recover and) run behind a gang of OL hopefuls of little regard
Cowboys have linked their train to the OL which will now have 4 "first round talents" on it to block for RBs of little regard.

The question of is it the OL or the RB that generates an effective run game may very well be getting a very interesting test case this year...

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
I love it whenever a player or coach on an opposing team starts bragging and shooting their mouth off before the season even starts because it usually means things will go the opposite way they intended. When Vince Young joined the Eagles and pronounced them the "Dream Team" he learned that lesson the hard way. Shut up and play!
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ing-to-be-the-best-offensive-line-in-history/

La’el Collins: This is going to be the best offensive line in history
Posted by Josh Alper on May 7, 2015

cebiqikveaaeql-jpg-large-e1431032032910.jpeg

The Cowboys signed tackle La’El Collins as an undrafted free agent on Thursday, which usually isn’t the kind of roster move that’s followed by a press conference.

Collins isn’t the usual undrafted free agent, though. He was a potential first-round pick who went undrafted last week while he waited to speak to the Baton Rouge police about a pair of murders they said he wasn’t suspected of committing at the time and again after speaking to him on Monday. That interview jumpstarted Collins’ courtship by NFL teams and he explained why he chose the Cowboys over the other interested parties.

“I got a call from [Cowboys owner Jerry] Jones a couple nights ago and we had a long talk … First time I thought someone had seen me for who I am,” Collins said, via David Helman of the team’s website. “I had the opportunity to choose, from 32 teams, where I wanted to be. I wanted to be a Dallas Cowboy.”

Collins joins a talented Cowboys offensive line and the rookie didn’t waste much time making a big prediction about what he thinks his addition will mean to the group.

“This is going to be the best offensive line in NFL history. Mark my words,” Collins said.

Coach Jason Garrett said that Collins can play both guard and tackle, adding that they’ll sort out their best five players in the coming months. He also called Collins mature and tough “beyond his years,” two traits that should help him as he tries to be part of that quintet in his first NFL season.

[Photo credit: @dallascowboys on Twitter]

Athos

Legend
Rich get richer.

Fuck the Cowgirlies. That's one helluva O-line.

RamzFanz

Damnit
As far as we know, no motive either.
Agreed. Late rnd pick would have been worth the gamble.

The problem with taking him in the draft. I believe IF he had been drafted, he could have held out and reentered next year's draft. Since he wasn't drafted, he was ineligible to reenter next years.
At least that's what I think I read.

So you just get screwed on the pick? That doesn't sound like the NFL to me, they tend to favor the owners, no?

Rynie

Cowboys rudeboy.
Name
Rynie
I love the smell of collusion in the morning.

Smells like......disciplinary action!

(Yeah, right -- like Goodell's gonna walk JerrahJones to the woodshed)

You're kidding, right? Jerry always gets shafted by Goodell. He and Mara (Giants owner) are best friends.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
You're kidding, right? Jerry always gets shafted by Goodell. He and Mara (Giants owner) are best friends.

Best laugh I've had all throughout this shitty day. Thank you, Rynie! :D

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter

Yeah, Goodell didn't seem to let his "friendship" with Jerruh get in the way of shafting the Cowboys.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/montebu...e-dallas-cowboys-and-the-washington-redskins/

The NFL's Bizarre Salary Cap Penalties For The Dallas Cowboys And The Washington Redskins
By Monte Burke

This is just weird.

Yesterday it was announced that an independent NFL arbitrator named Stephen Burbank had dismissed the complaint ofthe Dallas Cowboys and Washington Redskins in the salary cap dispute between those two teams and the league. The Cowboys and the Redskins, the two most valuable teams in the NFL, will be penalized a combined $46 million dollars.

The weird part: The two teams are being penalized for overspending on player contracts…in an uncapped year.

There is not an ounce of logic in that sentence.

The Cowboys will be penalized $10 million, paying $5 million a year for two years.

According to ESPN’s Dan Graziano, though 2010 was officially an uncapped year (because of the expiration of the collective bargaining agreement),

NFL owners agreed, in secret, to limit spending in 2010 even though there was no cap — to continue to structure contracts as though there were a cap, because the lockout they were about to impose was basically a thinly veiled attempt at union-busting.

Cowboys owner, Jerry Jones, and Redskins owner, Dan Snyder—ever the iconoclasts—apparently didn’t do as they were told. They didn’t break the rules, though, at least by my understanding. Because there were no rules.

The NFL Players Association, which is supposed to fight for the players, has instead stayed on the sidelines during this fight. The union has screwed the very folks it’s supposed to protect twice in this matter: the players. It did not fight the owners on what can only be described as collusion. And it didn’t put up a fight for the Cowboys and Redskins in the appeal. Importantly, as far as players and their salaries are concerned, these two teams are traditionally frequent and big spenders in free agency. They will now have less cash to play with.

Jones and Snyder were very polite in a joint statement they released, saying they would “abide by the arbitrator’s decision to dismiss” the appeal they made to the NFL. I reached out to both men for comment and they both declined. But I don’t suspect that this ruling went down well with either man, both mavericks and hard-driving businessmen in their own right.

Both teams carry fairly high debt-to-value ratios (18% for the Cowboys; 26% for the Redskins) because their owners have been willing to take risks that other owners in the league have not, with new stadiums and debt-fueled other ventures. Jones, in particular, has a long history of butting heads with the league. I would be very surprised if there aren’t some repercussions for the NFL and the other owners down the road from these two. ProFootballTalk is reporting that the teams might be able to still sue the league.

But in the end, it seems, the NFL does pretty much what it wants to do, with no accountability to anyone, really. Except to the fans. And fans of the Cowboys and Redskins, who may end up being the victims of this ruling, have ample reason to be angry about this decision.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
There is something more to this whole thing than we know.

Why the heck would all 32 teams pass on the guy? Then... when undrafted free agency starts, its still a slow go for him to sign?

I'm not following his whole story, but 31 other teams aren't stupid.