Cleveland looks like a logical trading partner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamsFan14

Starter
We almost traded our #2 pick to the Browns, but the Redskins had a better offer. Maybe Cleveland will comply more considering the backlash they got for not making that trade, not that backlash really does anything to teams... But hopefully they learned from last time. They still need a QB, if they really like someone, hopefully they pony up some picks for him this time! And we'll only be moving down 2 spots!

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
One thing is certain; they need a QB.

Sit back and hope you get the guy you want? Or settle for 2nd choice?

I think the RG3 situation works in our favor. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

They have the draft capital to get their man.

Ram_of_Old

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
We almost traded our #2 pick to the Browns, but the Redskins had a better offer. Maybe Cleveland will comply more considering the backlash they got for not making that trade, not that backlash really does anything to teams... But hopefully they learned from last time. They still need a QB, if they really like someone, hopefully they pony up some picks for him this time! And we'll only be moving down 2 spots!

That is what I was thinking. If we do make a deal with Cleveland, we might only move from 2nd pick to 4th pick. That would be awesome. But as the article says, we may have to wait and see what Houston does before we make a deal. If they take Johnny Football and Cleveland is waiting for him, then plans may change. I expect Snead has several trading parties lined up.

Flash

UDFA
I think this whole trade up for Manziel rumor started when the Browns personal mouthpiece LaConfora reported it. Just so you guys know our GM Mike Lombardi and LaConfora are buddies from their days at NFL Network and this is more likely put out there purposely.

From Jason LaCanfora at CBS Sports:
[The Browns] are willing to trade up to land Johnny Manziel in the draft if need be, sources said, and have an owner, Jimmy Haslam, who is committed to spending their abundant cap space to try to win quickly.

http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2014/1/20/5327104/2014-nfl-draft-browns-trade-rumors-johnny-manziel

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
What would some of the reasons to throw out that false rumor? to go get whom? which teams would this be for?

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Max mentioned something on another board that I agreed with.

Why would HOU trade with CLE and move down to four when they want a QB? They wouldn't be able to get what they wanted they would just get who's left. Not a good strategy is it........

Flash

UDFA
What would some of the reasons to throw out that false rumor? to go get whom? which teams would this be for?
If anything it would be in hopes of having a player fall to them. Lets say that Jacksonville wants Manziel is worried about us trading ahead of them. Maybe the first two picks go Bridgewater and Manziel or Bortles and Manziel, now the Browns reduce the price of paying up at the very least. Maybe they aren't targeting a QB at all and have someone that they feel they can get lower in the draft rated higher in terms of potential and are planting a seed to get guys like Clowney, Mathews, Watkins to fall to them to trade down a little ways. Maybe Carr is the guy they like and that can facilitate demand for the 4 spot to trade down and get him and add more picks in this deep draft. They seem to be going the extra mile to make everyone know they like Manziel don't they? What does that accomplish besides putting that thought in someone's head that we might go up and get him? It's not like they are sitting in the one spot. There are three spots ahead of us and only three QBs that most project can go that high. So why would they tell the world they like Manziel...so other teams stay away? If it is a QB they target..I would keep your eye on the one that isn't talked about that they want or someone later and a player they hope drops by creating demand for a QB they don't have plans for. JMO

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
If anything it would be in hopes of having a player fall to them. Lets say that Jacksonville wants Manziel is worried about us trading ahead of them. Maybe the first two picks go Bridgewater and Manziel or Bortles and Manziel, now the Browns reduce the price of paying up at the very least. Maybe they aren't targeting a QB at all and have someone that they feel they can get lower in the draft rated higher in terms of potential and are planting a seed to get guys like Clowney, Mathews, Watkins to fall to them to trade down a little ways. Maybe Carr is the guy they like and that can facilitate demand for the 4 spot to trade down and get him and add more picks in this deep draft. They seem to be going the extra mile to make everyone know they like Manziel don't they? What does that accomplish besides putting that thought in someone's head that we might go up and get him? It's not like they are sitting in the one spot. There are three spots ahead of us and only three QBs that most project can go that high. So why would they tell the world they like Manziel...so other teams stay away? If it is a QB they target..I would keep your eye on the one that isn't talked about that they want or someone later and a player they hope drops by creating demand for a QB they don't have plans for. JMO

I can see Cleve wanting to be fluid. I don't see them passing on a QB with their first pick, though. If they pass on Manziel or Bridgewater and those guys do well, the new regime will get fired quickly.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I can see Cleve wanting to be fluid. I don't see them passing on a QB with their first pick, though. If they pass on Manziel or Bridgewater and those guys do well, the new regime will get fired quickly.

Yeah dunno though max ,they might have hired Shanahan in order to make something of Jason Campbell or maybe Campbell goes postal cuz it'll be the second time Shanahan dumped him

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
Yeah dunno though max ,they might have hired Shanahan in order to make something of Jason Campbell or maybe Campbell goes postal cuz it'll be the second time Shanahan dumped him

Remember when the Browns had #6 overall in 2004?

They passed on Big Ben. Deciding to stick with retreads like Garcia and drafted a QB in the 4th round. Big mistake.

You think they do that again?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

They passed on Big Ben. Deciding to stick with retreads like Garcia and drafted a QB in the 4th round. Big mistake.

The Browns are littered with draft day failure when it comes to finding a QB.

They've always picked high enough to get one and/or within reach to trade up to get one. They've been armed with multiple first rounders before... and failed to use the draft capital to solve the cavernous hole at this position.

Here they sit again.

Will they fail AGAIN?

Will they retread Cousins?

No matter how it goes; history shows they'll screw it up.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich

Probably:ROFLMAO:

I love posting in historical context like this ,thanx max

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
A ton of pressure on the Browns and their owner Jimmy Haslam loves Johnny Football...The Browns need some sizzle and Manziel offers just that, whether it's good or bad. So the Browns make the deal with the Rams and IMO the Rams draft Greg Robinson with the 4th pick.

Browns give up a 4th and 26th and maybe a 2nd round in 2015. They part with the 26th pick and not next year's number one because they realize they will draft earlier than 26th. Rams then could trade that 26th pick and get a number one in 2015, but we'll see how it plays out.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I think a trade with the Browns is our best option and think we would end up with the 4th, 26th and a 7th piick in the 3rd this year but I'm not so sure the Browns couldn't stand pat and get their boy Johnny anyways. Let's hope they don't think that way and give us a hearty trade. Of course, if I were the king, I'd take the Brown's trade and trade down again from 4 for another pick or two.

tonyl711

Starter
I think a trade with the Browns is our best option and think we would end up with the 4th, 26th and a 7th piick in the 3rd this year but I'm not so sure the Browns couldn't stand pat and get their boy Johnny anyways. Let's hope they don't think that way and give us a hearty trade. Of course, if I were the king, I'd take the Brown's trade and trade down again from 4 for another pick or two.
agreed that 4th could be what gets us our extra first rounder for next year. at 4 there will still be one of the top 3 QBs or Clowney for a team to trade for, maybe Minn at 8, get the 8th pick a second or third for this year and their #1 for next year. IMO this is feasible.

Flash

UDFA
Maybe they trade for Cousins to compete with Hoyer or maybe they sign Schaub (who had his best year under Shannahan) when he is released later this month and move down to get a guy like Carr, McCarron, Garappolo, Mettenberger, or Murray? The only guy that can come in right away and start would be Bridgewater. Signing or trading for one of those guys would also throw the perception off that we are set and could lead to one of Bridgewater, Bortles, or Manziel dropping to us as well. It is a cheaper route to go if we trade one of our thirds and still get the guy we want than trading possibly our other 1st or our 2nd to move up. Bridgewater has exceptionally small hands and has to wear a glove, not sure how he would do in the cold and snow of the AFCN which is a concern..but down the list.

Not many teams are going to want to give up that many assets in this deep draft class with the record amount of underclassmen..and there is no Luck in this draft. We seen last year that the prognosticators all had Geno Smith and Nassib early in the draft and we seen now that teams are willing to pass on guys and select them where they should go. Another guy to keep an eye on is Ryan Mallett, who Lombardi had rated as his number one QB in the 2011 draft based on his upside and sitting behind Brady for three years could only help him. Plus he sells the play action so well and that is a big part of Shannahan's offense. There are other options to pursue as well besides the top three guys people are talking about and some good QBs later in the draft or that can be obtained through trade or Schaub. Schaub is 32 and had a horrible year last year but has a QB rating of 90 for his career. Could be like Kurt Warner when everyone thought he was done only to lead Arizona to the Super Bowl. I think this front office would like to keep their picks and fill some holes and add depth in this draft while also getting a QB they are high on. I don't think they are going to panic and draft a guy early if they don't have him rated there.

Flash

UDFA
A ton of pressure on the Browns and their owner Jimmy Haslam loves Johnny Football...The Browns need some sizzle and Manziel offers just that, whether it's good or bad. So the Browns make the deal with the Rams and IMO the Rams draft Greg Robinson with the 4th pick.

Browns give up a 4th and 26th and maybe a 2nd round in 2015. They part with the 26th pick and not next year's number one because they realize they will draft earlier than 26th. Rams then could trade that 26th pick and get a number one in 2015, but we'll see how it plays out.
If the Browns wanted to trade up I would offer our 4 and our second in a take it or leave it. I'm pretty sure they will stand pat at 4 and see who falls to us and if one of the QBs does they might take him or opt to trade down to Atlanta, Oakland or Minnesota and pick up another second or with the Rams when they want to come up from 13. They also have an extra 3rd and an extra 4 that they might package to move back into the 2nd. We could have possibly two 1sts and 3 2nd round picks by day end in a draft where a lot of the 2nd rounders could have been drafted in the first a year ago.

Maybe they trade for Cousins to compete with Hoyer or maybe they sign Schaub (who had his best year under Shannahan) when he is released later this month and move down to get a guy like Carr, McCarron, Garappolo, Mettenberger, or Murray? The only guy that can come in right away and start would be Bridgewater. Signing or trading for one of those guys would also throw the perception off that we are set and could lead to one of Bridgewater, Bortles, or Manziel dropping to us as well. It is a cheaper route to go if we trade one of our thirds and still get the guy we want than trading possibly our other 1st or our 2nd to move up. Bridgewater has exceptionally small hands and has to wear a glove, not sure how he would do in the cold and snow of the AFCN which is a concern..but down the list.

Not many teams are going to want to give up that many assets in this deep draft class with the record amount of underclassmen..and there is no Luck in this draft. We seen last year that the prognosticators all had Geno Smith and Nassib early in the draft and we seen now that teams are willing to pass on guys and select them where they should go. Another guy to keep an eye on is Ryan Mallett, who Lombardi had rated as his number one QB in the 2011 draft based on his upside and sitting behind Brady for three years could only help him. Plus he sells the play action so well and that is a big part of Shannahan's offense. There are other options to pursue as well besides the top three guys people are talking about and some good QBs later in the draft or that can be obtained through trade or Schaub. Schaub is 32 and had a horrible year last year but has a QB rating of 90 for his career. Could be like Kurt Warner when everyone thought he was done only to lead Arizona to the Super Bowl. I think this front office would like to keep their picks and fill some holes and add depth in this draft while also getting a QB they are high on. I don't think they are going to panic and draft a guy early if they don't have him rated there.

It comes down to two questions.

1) What do you think of Johnny Half Game? If you don't believe he can be elite then there's absolutely no reason to take him regardless of if he's there at 4 or if you need to trade up.
2) How happy are you with mediocrity? If you believe Johnny Half Game could be elite the best way to remain mediocre is to trade for a Cousins or sign a Schaub, or draft a Carr, McCarron or whoever.

It's not anymore complicated than that, you don't get such an easy shot at an elite QB as the #4 and #26 picks provide.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I do not see the Browns trying to be coy on a QB selection. Everyone who has watched & followed the Browns know they need a QB with some zing! They have some key players in placed WR/TE/OLT & a good chance on signing back their all pro center. That Brown OL could be good one with finally some talented youth in place @ QB things could finally tun around for them. Returning to other teams cast offs and less talented QB's will result in more of the same that has brought in once again new upper Org personnel.

Browns will go for the best QB they want. I looked for them to try the Texans vs the Rams in offerings of trade picks. Thats where it stops cause the Jags are hungry for QB talent just as bad. If they low ball other teams will get into the action as the Browns wait. The Vikings are in the very same place as the Browns & Jags but worse due to them having the #8 pick. No team wants to overpay I understand but no team wants to throw a wet blanket early on their team with a miss of a having a QB who can bring some zing & wins in 2014 and beyond. Look @ the Bills and they overreached and struck gold!