Christian Wilkins likely to become a FA

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memphis Ram

Legend
A Franchise Tag would have cost $20M; and the entire amount would hit the Rams' 2024 cap.

A big-$ contract that averages $16-$18M per-year would likely be structured for a 2024 cap hit under $8M.
Sure. But my point is that if you can't agree to terms, you franchise the premium pass rusher no matter what and adjust elsewhere.

Last edited:

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
And Dotson isnt worth the money because he did it in a contract year....
Logic?
Dotson’s case was a little different and easier to reason than Allen’s. Dotson changed teams. He said himself how different it is playing for the Rams, because they have a different coaching style than the Steelers. He likes how the Rams teach and encourage players, instead of demanding and pushing like Tomlin does.

So, maybe the change in environment brought the best out of Dotson. Also he was on a better offensive line with a better roster and scheme.

John McKay identified Dotson as a good fit for the Rams scheme last year. They tried to acquire him before the draft. Pittsburgh wouldn’t trade him, because they wanted him as insurance in case of injury during training camp.

So, there are more factors at play with Dotson.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Dotson’s case was a little different and easier to reason than Allen’s. Dotson changed teams. He said himself how different it is playing for the Rams, because they have a different coaching style than the Steelers. He likes how the Rams teach and encourage players, instead of demanding and pushing like Tomlin does.

So, maybe the change in environment brought the best out of Dotson. Also he was on a better offensive line with a better roster and scheme.

John McKay identified Dotson as a good fit for the Rams scheme last year. They tried to acquire him before the draft. Pittsburgh wouldn’t trade him, because they wanted him as insurance in case of injury during training camp.

So, there are more factors at play with Dotson.
That and he played RG in college and the Steelers were playing him at LG.

WestCoastRam

Legend
And if the OG plays like Dotson, you have 2023 running game, if he plays like Bruss you have 2022....
If a stud OG was so easy to find, why has it taken so long to find one? Actually, 2?
Wait, did Bruss ever make the field? If he plays like Bruss we'll be watching a bull fight, not a football game. OLE!

WestCoastRam

Legend
Prior to the selection of Avila, when was the last time the Rams made it a priority and used significant resources to fill the position? When they were in St. Louis and signed Adam Timmerman?

For years it's been late round draft choices, UDFAs, and reclamation projects from other teams via trades or free agency (Corbett, Dotson).
Saffold?

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Prior to the selection of Avila, when was the last time the Rams made it a priority and used significant resources to fill the position? When they were in St. Louis and signed Adam Timmerman?

For years it's been late round draft choices, UDFAs, and reclamation projects from other teams via trades or free agency (Corbett, Dotson).
What do you consider significant resources? Mind you the team hasnt used a 1st round pick on a player in the McVay era. 2018 draft, 1st 2 players drafted, Allen and Noteboom. 2019 3rd round Bobby Evans, 5th round David Evans, 2022 1st pick in draft Logan Bruss. So I'm not sure the question, considering the team is seemingly built with mid round pick success, trades and "cast offs".

Memphis Ram

Legend
What do you consider significant resources? Mind you the team hasnt used a 1st round pick on a player in the McVay era. 2018 draft, 1st 2 players drafted, Allen and Noteboom. 2019 3rd round Bobby Evans, 5th round David Evans, 2022 1st pick in draft Logan Bruss. So I'm not sure the question, considering the team is seemingly built with mid round pick success, trades and "cast offs".
Free agent $$$. Top 75 - 100 selections.

And Allen, Noteboom, & Evans weren't drafted to play GUARD (topic being discussed and not the team). Only Bruss.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Free agent $$$. Top 75 - 100 selections.

And Allen, Noteboom, & Evans weren't drafted to play GUARD (topic being discuss and not the team). Only Bruss.
Rams draft all their lineman due to their versatility, Allen and Evans both played some guard in NCAA and Noteboom was thought to be athletic enough to do so
It comes down to value, if you're the first player taken by a team in a draft, doesnt matter what round it may be, it is the most valuable selection.
They spent a 4th rounder on Dotson and now can truly invest with re-signing him

Memphis Ram

Legend
Rams draft all their lineman due to their versatility, Allen and Evans both played some guard in NCAA and Noteboom was thought to be athletic enough to do so
It comes down to value, if you're the first player taken by a team in a draft, doesnt matter what round it may be, it is the most valuable selection.
They spent a 4th rounder on Dotson and now can truly invest with re-signing him
I remember Allen being considered a center only prospect by draftnik media due to his size. I don't recall him successfully playing the position with Rams. I know that Noteboom was selected to replace Whitworth, but I not so sure on Evans. However, I believe that Havenstein may have been entering the final year of his deal when he was drafted.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I remember Allen being considered a center only prospect by draftnik media due to his size. I don't recall him successfully playing the position with Rams. I know that Noteboom was selected to replace Whitworth, but I not so sure on Evans. However, I believe that Havenstein may have been entering the final year of his deal when he was drafted..
Rams draft all of their lineman due to versatility.
Brian Allen: "Four-year letter winner played in 51 career games, including 38 starts (17 at center, 16 at left guard, five at right guard)"

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Which kinda makes my point, doesn't it? Didn't pay Corbett either.

Guard has been treated slightly better than linebacker and safety.
You lost me.
They did invest in Corbett, traded a 5th round pick for him. They invested in Dotson, traded a 4th round pick for him. Avila is the only olineman who they drafted recently who has panned out, even using premium picks.
So Im trying to understand, are you arguing that they do or dont invest? I cant see how this is different from Burns, which we are lock step on. Why risk drafting a player who you "hope" will be as good as a player in your grasp. And all Dotson costs is money, in a year with a historically high cap

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Which kinda makes my point, doesn't it? Didn't pay Corbett either.

Guard has been treated slightly better than linebacker and safety.
Since the 2022 debacle, the Rams seem to have gone through a philosophy shift with the value of the offensive line.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Rams draft all of their lineman due to versatility.
Brian Allen: "Four-year letter winner played in 51 career games, including 38 starts (17 at center, 16 at left guard, five at right guard)"
I understand his prior college experience. I'm just going by the draftnik media view. A view that seemed to pan out with the Rams. I don't think there are many 6'1" guards in the NFL.

Memphis Ram

Legend
But they signed him to a second contract at guard. In FA.
After he fell back into their laps for a cheaper contract after the failed physical with the Raiders. But, yes they did sign him and needed him due to Jake Long's injury history.