Cheatriots hosting Benny Cunningham

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
They could have tender him as a 2 rounder and would be paying him less than Quick.
He was a udfa so the Rams are basically telling him he's worth the least amount of salary they have to pay.
Not necessarily they have an offer Benny knows how much it is, he can use it to try and leverage another team for more. If he gets a better offer the Rams can match it and get him back so he knows they are interested. Kind of like having first right of refusal. I just hope someone doesn't offer something crazy, he was an improvement in the KO game and a good not great back up.

JoeBo21

Hall of Fame
I'm gonna be FUCKING PISSED if we lose Benny.. especially to that fucking team

GET YOUR HEAD OUTTA YOUR ASS SNEAD

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
I'm gonna be freaking PISSED if we lose Benny.. especially to that freaking team

GET YOUR HEAD OUTTA YOUR ASS SNEAD

A bit strong bro. I'm no moderator, but we keep strong , negative opinions like that off this great board...

With that said, please understand free agency is a process, show some patience my brother. I would hate to lose Benny myself, as he is one of our more underrated players. But I trust that our FO will do what's best for this team and keep him.

Be patient

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If Brian Quick is worth 3.75 million I can't see how Bennie isn't worth 2.5. He is the 3rd down back, 4th on the team in rec and #4 in the NFL in kickoff return avg. you can belittle the stat all you want be he's better at it than most

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

man, all this hand wringing and angst over the 3rd rb...............................................it's a #3 rb.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
He's still listed on the roster. Whether that roster is up to date or not, I'm not sure.

Somebody posted a link that he's on like open-ended suspension or some such thing...May or may not be reinstated at some point...

jap

Legend
Somebody posted a link that he's on like open-ended suspension or some such thing...May or may not be reinstated at some point...

I saw that. Even with indefinite suspension, they can probably still move him if their trade partner accepts him. He should still have to complete the suspension in any event.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Members freak out every single year over our FA non-spending. I give the Horns credit for trying to be prudent with their spending dollars, as opposed to many of the bottom feeders who spend big and produce small.

I call it taking the next step.

We have had (ultimately) negative spending (e.g., Jake Long, Cookie, Joseph, etc), but the overall goal was to build through the draft and employ FA for immediate/short-term fixes.

This was just typical new coach hole plugging. We see it all over and after 4 years Fisher should be and seems to be past it.

Benny is a good player for us. Patriots are smart to try to take him. Hopefully the Rams will match, because he is our second best RB.

Yeah I would agree. He plays smart and is productive in a limited role.

Hate to see him go but I want to see him get paid.

Well, he still could stay and get paid.

If Brian Quick is worth 3.75 million I can't see how Bennie isn't worth 2.5. He is the 3rd down back, 4th on the team in rec and #4 in the NFL in kickoff return avg. you can belittle the stat all you want be he's better at it than most

And I reiterate, he always knows where the first down marker is and fights to get it. How many of our receivers have not figured that out yet?

man, all this hand wringing and angst over the 3rd rb...............................................it's a #3 rb.

And in some cases a fan favorite. Besides..........with the potential absence of Watts, Mason, and Bennie and the Rams need two or three more RBs.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And in some cases a fan favorite. Besides..........with the potential absence of Watts, Mason, and Bennie and the Rams need two or three more RBs.

I know that. I just wanted to post the seinfeld bit.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
It do hope BamBam doesn't leave, he's a big part of our offense and special teams units - they'll be big shoes to fill - I really don't want to see Gurley or a CB on KR duty :-/

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
It do hope BamBam doesn't leave, he's a big part of our offense and special teams units - they'll be big shoes to fill - I really don't want to see Gurley or a CB on KR duty :-/
If anything, Tavon should be returning kicks. No clue why the most explosive player on the team is not handling all return duties.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
If anything, Tavon should be returning kicks. No clue why the most explosive player on the team is not handling all return duties.
Risk of injury isn't worth it on KR. Also, there's far less field and opportunity. You really just want someone steady who doesn't make mistakes there. Also they want Tavon fresh for offensive snaps too.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Risk of injury isn't worth it on KR. Also, there's far less field and opportunity. You really just want someone steady who doesn't make mistakes there. Also they want Tavon fresh for offensive snaps too.
Seattle doesn't seem to have a problem with letting Lockett do everything. He clearly made a difference for them this year.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Seattle doesn't seem to have a problem with letting Lockett do everything. He clearly made a difference for them this year.
I'm not saying you can't, just stating why most teams mix it up the way they do. KR is less reward and risk. An we all know that this team subs a lot and puts a high priority on fresh legs.

RamBill

Legend
Rams need to keep running back Benny Cunningham
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...ms-need-to-keep-running-back-benny-cunningham

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- Perhaps lost in the madness of the first day of free agency was a blip on the transaction radar in the form of the Los Angeles Rams extending the minimum qualifying offer to restricted free-agent running back Benny Cunningham.

The original-round tender means the Rams retain matching rights should another team come calling for Cunningham but includes no compensation if the Rams decline that option. Sure enough, Cunningham received swift and serious interest from other teams. He visited the New England Patriots on Thursday and has reportedly heard from others. But, unless another team makes a substantial offer, the Rams should do what's necessary to keep him in the fold.

Cunningham offered a quick update after the visit to New England.

Benny Cunningham ‎@BennyCunningham
Back In Nashville.. Visit went great and I really enjoyed the hospitality.. All around great experience #FirstClass #GreatOrganization

That the Patriots quickly expressed such interest in Cunningham should be a reminder of Cunningham's value to the Rams. That's not to say that just because New England likes a player the Rams should break the bank to keep him, but it's a good window into the way Cunningham is viewed by a franchise that has made a living finding cheaper options who produce above their pay grade.

From a Rams' perspective, keeping Cunningham makes sense on multiple levels.

First and foremost, the three-year veteran is the best back on the team -- and among the best in the NFL, some coaches have said -- when it comes to picking up the blitz. Cunningham has also been a solid option as a pass-catcher, particularly in the screen game. That makes him the ideal third-down back for a team that figures to ride star runner Todd Gurley on most other downs.

Cunningham also brings plenty to the table on special teams. Over the past two seasons, he's fifth in the NFL in kick-return yards and sixth in yards per kick return (among those with at least 10 attempts). He contributes on coverage units as well.

Beyond his on-field work, Cunningham is well-liked in the Rams' locker room and has the makings of a team leader for a franchise that is looking for more in light of the departure of linebacker James Laurinaitis and end Chris Long.

Add running back Tre Mason's recent run-in with the law and you have a depth chart that could be perilously thin behind Gurley should Cunningham depart. And though Mason is widely viewed as Gurley's backup, the snap counts don't back that up. In 2015, Cunningham played 261 snaps in 16 games while Mason played 176 snaps in 13 games.

The one-year tender offer for Cunningham comes at a price of $1.671 million. With other teams sniffing around, it's entirely possible it will take a longer, more expensive contract to retain his services. And though keeping Cunningham's presence won't determine the fate of the Rams in 2016, keeping him around for at least one more season certainly wouldn't hurt.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Lost out? How so? They were drafted players who got replaced.
Cunningham is reliable receiver and a top Kickoff returner. To think he's not worth 2.5 mill with all the cap room we have is laughable
And by the way, neither Stacy, not Mason will be on the roster opening day